Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #61
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Fenir, I will trust your knowledge on beer and alcohol 100%. Afterall, you are an authority, you're Irish.

Well, one does not blow one's own drunken Irish trumpet, does one?

Old 11-11-2004, 12:08 PM   #62
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Yes, we should write phonetically in our native accents.

Then we'd huv a properr Babel righ' heere in oor ain we core-nur ay the ne'.

Durin - have you seen the Scottish Parliament web site? It's got a version in Scots, which is a pile o pish if you ask me. Naeb'dy speaks li'tha' where ah come fae.
Aye, it is a bit pish

Where do you come btw Gaff?

I've been all around Scotland, camping and so forth, and there are some places along the West Coast that still speak Celtish or Scot (I don't whether they're the same). I have to say though, I have family up in Glasgow and broad Glaswegian is sometimes really hard to understand, because they tend to speak too fast aswell. Anyone remember Rab.C.Nesbitt?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:12 PM   #63
Durin1
Elven Warrior

You can't beat European LAGER, that's what it's supposed to be called remember (in the article). German, Dutch, Czech and Belgian premium lager is the best.

What's the point of drinking anything less than 5% vol anyway? You need too many to get pissed!!
Old 11-11-2004, 12:13 PM   #64
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenir_LacDanan
I've been to America, and, quite frankly, my hair was not blown back by the place or the beer there. Millers and Bud are useless. ESPECIALLY BUD. I have had Molsen, and was happy with it, but I'm much more impressed with Canadian whiskey. Its tops, and given that I come from one of the places that invented whiskey, I was really impressed by it. Those blokes north of the border can sure distill a good drop.

Yank beer, however, is not nearly up to scratch. Kids. For a start, the millage (oh, thats right, your all still imperial; the ounces), is much less than standard beers, and far and away the alcohol content is far less than other places. How can one argue that their beer is worth considering, when their actual amount and grog levels are not even a flash in the pan? One tends to wonder....

European beer is easily better than our "counterparts" (snigger) across the pond. German and Dutch Beer is exceptional.
Australian beer, sweet sweet beer, has a high Alcohol level, and a high milage level. Its quite good, and not for the half arsed. It's far above the New world brews.

But of course, this whole thread is about the superiority of Eurpoe over the US, and all....
um no sorry you wont be using my complaint about american and canadian mass produced beer as a way to castigate ALL american beer. as i said there are a large number of microbreweries in america that make absolutely fantastic beer. They win awards on a global level. This all started really when Sam Adams started production once the micro brew laws were resinded in the late 70s (?) and ushered in an underground wave of quality beer making that has grown every year since. But its certainly not underground anymore. Now you can get hundreds of variaties of stouts and porters, pilsners and wheats and IPA's in many american supermarkets right next to the otherwise discouraging Coors and Budweiser displays. They use great quality hops and malting techniques. They understand that beer is about bringing the right conditions together for TASTE not for mass production and ease of transport. And they have some of the best brewers in the world. Some even from *gasp* Europe that have come over HERE to do their brewing. In fact just Monday I was at a tasting for Belgium's Duvel (considered some of the best in the world) AND a fledgling company called Ommegang which ALSO produces some of the best beer (in fact some of the best BELGIAN style beer) IN THE WORLD and this is widely accepted. Even by the Belgians. If you ever get a chance grab some of their cave adged Hennepen. Oh my goodness talk about heaven in a bottle. And where are they located? Why in Cooperstown, New York of all places. Yes smack dab in the middle of the BASEBALL CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.

Sounds like yer preference for beer is not so much variety of taste but high alcohol content. If thats the case then I could give you a good american made barley wine you might find interesting. Full flavored and robust but still smooth. Personally, I think the best beer in the world is still German and Belgian. But dont discount the american craft brew beer out of hand as theres just way too much good there. And hey if you like whiskey wouldnt Scotland be your ultimate destination and not Ireland?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 11-11-2004, 12:14 PM   #65
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
No it isn't. It is about an amusing article meant in jest, about England taking back US independence.
Yes, England taking back US Independance because we are superior , right?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:16 PM   #66
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin1
You can't beat European LAGER, that's what it's supposed to be called remember (in the article). German, Dutch, Czech and Belgian premium lager is the best.

What's the point of drinking anything less than 5% vol anyway? You need too many to get pissed!!

Oh, preaching to the choir, dear Durin.

If your gonna drink some little Bud Light (chortle), you may as well drink, AS THIS THREAD SUGGESTED IN THE BEGINNING, (sorry, caps lock suddenly snapped on...) Concentrated Goat Urine. God Bless Yankee breweries, they keey the rest of us in skittles and women. or something similar.

anyway...
Old 11-11-2004, 12:19 PM   #67
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

agree with you about the bud light. but then im going to have to assume by logica deduction that you arent a guiness fan then? Isnt beer more then JUST the alcohol content? Do you ALWAYS drink the same kind of beer when you drink beer? Or do you sometimes feel like a light wheat and sometimes feel like a good thick porter?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 11-11-2004, 12:23 PM   #68
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

LOL Fenir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
well not like canadian beer is vastly better though. It follows the same idea of the piss swill like budweiser and coors and what not. the most popular brands in canada are Molsen and Moosehead and Labbatts. Now maybe they taste different over there but to me they taste like very weak lagars just like the budweisers and millers and bushes and such. That being said BOTH countries have excellent microbrew traditions and you can get an excellent pint of beer on either side of the border if you know where to look. But the beer companies on either side of the border that do most of the business are sad excuses for beer.

Canadian Beer Index
Okay, Molsen isn't the best beer ever, but it ain't bad, especially for a generic mass-made beer. And Kokanee is pretty darn good!
Then you have the smaller beer companies... mmm mmm mmm!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-11-2004, 12:25 PM   #69
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
um no sorry you wont be using my complaint about american and canadian mass produced beer as a way to castigate ALL american beer.
Well, dearest IR, I dont need you complaint or compliance to bag US beer, and it seems that I'm not the only one. mate.

Quote:
This all started really when Sam Adams started production once the micro brew laws were resinded in the late 70s (?) and ushered in an underground wave of quality beer making that has grown every year since. But its certainly not underground anymore. Now you can get hundreds of variaties of stouts and porters, pilsners and wheats and IPA's in many american supermarkets right next to the otherwise discouraging Coors and Budweiser displays.
Your flattering the US Beer industry, and you know it.
Even the Turks can priduce a good passable beer when they have to. Thats not the point. Americans brag about their "fine" beers, and world standard, they are just are not in the same league.

Quote:
Sounds like yer preference for beer is not so much variety of taste but high alcohol content. If thats the case then I could give you a good american made barley wine you might find interesting. Full flavored and robust but still smooth. Personally, I think the best beer in the world is still German and Belgian. But dont discount the american craft brew beer out of hand as theres just way too much good there. And hey if you like whiskey wouldnt Scotland be your ultimate destination and not Ireland?
If alchohol content mattered so much, I'd just drink turpentine and call it a day, sir.

This happens to be a matter to which my countrymen have attached a considerable amount of stake. And not without cause. Eurpoe brew's better beers than America.

Ask the world, kids. US Beer is a joke.

You, my dear, dear Yanks, can't win everything.

And just try to wipe the of my face.

Old 11-11-2004, 12:29 PM   #70
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
agree with you about the bud light. but then im going to have to assume by logica deduction that you arent a guiness fan then? Isnt beer more then JUST the alcohol content? Do you ALWAYS drink the same kind of beer when you drink beer? Or do you sometimes feel like a light wheat and sometimes feel like a good thick porter?
Sometimes one feels like a slow Lager, when other times someone feels like a thick stout. There are fluctuations in taste.

But, friend, I am yet to here about someone, at that moment of alcohol desire, say that they feel like a light beer.

Men are still men, after all.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:34 PM   #71
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Beer is more than just about alcohol content, at least if they're over 5%. You can really start picking out those!!!

Guinness and other stout is great, but you just can't beat a cold PINT of draught lager.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:38 PM   #72
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenir_LacDanan
Oh, preaching to the choir, dear Durin.

If your gonna drink some little Bud Light (chortle), you may as well drink, AS THIS THREAD SUGGESTED IN THE BEGINNING, (sorry, caps lock suddenly snapped on...) Concentrated Goat Urine. God Bless Yankee breweries, they keey the rest of us in skittles and women. or something similar.

anyway...
haah lol

while talking about Bud, when we were visiting US earlier this year, my uncle, a norwegian farmer of the old sort, if someone know them , tasted Bud, and then he said "nice flavour on this water".
Old 11-11-2004, 12:39 PM   #73
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin1
Beer is more than just about alcohol content, at least if they're over 5%. You can really start picking out those!!!

Guinness and other stout is great, but you just can't beat a cold PINT of draught lager.
I agree. And I also agree that a pint of the black stuff is certianly the measure of a man. And a civilisation.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:41 PM   #74
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I see this thread has gone to the dogs - literally. So now it's all about how crappy the US is.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-11-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:41 PM   #75
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pytt
haah lol

while talking about Bud, when we were visiting US earlier this year, my uncle, a norwegian farmer of the old sort, if someone know them , tasted Bud, and then he said "nice flavour on this water".

Utterly first class mate, first class.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:44 PM   #76
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
I see this thread has gone to the dogs - literally.
Glad I can make your day, cob. Thats, after all, what I exist for.

Gee, if I could get drunk enough off Yank beer, I'd have a go in open forum, but I dont think its ever gonna happen.

One cant get drunk off flavoured lollie water, after all.

God I love it!

Last edited by Fenir_LacDanan : 11-11-2004 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:26 PM   #77
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well we fought 'em twice and won. We saved their buns in WWII and gave them aid when needed. I say we need not heed this looney post.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:31 PM   #78
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Well we fought 'em twice and won. We saved their buns in WWII and gave them aid when needed. I say we need not heed this looney post.
I know - it seems like they need something to say that they're better at than America. I don't know what that might be since - Budweiser and those beers are like fast food compared to a full course dinner. They hardly know America - but it seems to make them happy to try to bring us down to their level.

I don't drink much and I don't drink beer - so I really don't care too much what beer is good and what isn't.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-11-2004, 01:34 PM   #79
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
Sun-star, um, I can't find the definition for "bogan" anywhere. Jon, is it in that dictionary I gave you? I would say it's like an uncouth person, but that's not quite right either.
I couldn't find the word in your dictionary but I found it in the Book of Slang at Macquariedictionary.com.au (good site, I'll bookmark it). Here's what it says:

bogan noun
1. a fool; idiot.
2. WA a lout or hooligan, especially of a particular social group noted for wearing black shirt and jeans.
3. Tasmania a rough lout or hooligan. In Hobart equivalent to a Chigga. [probably from Bogan a river in NSW]

Hmm, could you say that the American equivalent of a bogan is a redneck?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:35 PM   #80
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
I know - it seems like they need something to say that they're better at than America. I don't know what that might be since - Budweiser and those beers are like fast food compared to a full course dinner. They hardly know America - but it seems to make them happy to try to bring us down to their level.

I don't drink much and I don't drink beer - so I really don't care too much what beer is good and what isn't.

All shall note how I, of my own volition, leave this alone.