my questions have been answered,
i'll have loads more in a minute tho!!

chrys
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:35 AM   #62
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

For the record, I'm with Valandil in the Central Time Zone.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:24 AM   #63
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

shout out to the west coast! I'm living on Pacific Standard Time, same as the BCers and Rian.

it is 10:24 pm as I type this.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 03:40 AM   #64
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
No it's not always right - because American English is different. We reinvented the lanuage when we sent Britain back across the ocean. This is the reason why there is British dictionaries and American dictionaries. There are two different English languages and American English is no more wrong than saying French is wrong because it's not German.
Only two, eh? In Australia we speak Australian English (surprisingly). I think all British commonwealths have their own official language, a national version of British English. In our dictionaries is usually points out when a term has American, British or Canadian variations, such as the term "billion" referring to a different amount in either the US or the UK.

And anyway, it's not like British (or any) English hasn't altered the pronounciation of words adopted form other languages. For example, I have always herad the term "via" pronounced v-EYE-ah, and not v-EEH-ah, as it would be pronounced in Latin.

And I thought we were Tolkien fans! Haven't we learned that language is dynamic???

Last edited by luinilwen : 03-18-2004 at 03:41 AM.
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:45 PM   #65
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
for my location, i thought i would confuse you all
Village: Holford
Nr Town: Nr Bridgwater
Area: Sedgmoor
County: Somerset
Region: South West
Sub-Division: England
It can be even more confusing than that if you put in
Continent: Europe

That's the way to confuse people with just a town and a state to their name!

Quote:
Different culture, seasons and life experiences affect a language.
That's the great thing about language IMO. Like the Inuit language with 50 words for snow (or is that just a myth?) and German which doesn't seem to distinguish between "if" and "when"

A dumb question: in emails from Entmoot, is the time in Eastern US time? Is that what the -0500 bit means or am I being really stupid?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:59 PM   #66
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Well I didn't mean it directed at you - and maybe I should have left my other thoughts in there. It's just that it seems like a lot of people think that we should move to the metric system, that we should write our dates in the european style, the we should use the british spelling.

The metric system isn't all it's cracked up to be, neithers British spelling - I still get both wrong.

Quote:
(My parents coming from Lancashire, I grew up pronouncing it 'to-MAR-to', causing ridicule and psychological trauma at school )
What's wrong with saying 'to-mar-to'. I say it that way!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 03:12 PM   #67
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
Quote:
Originally posted by luinilwen For example, I have always herad the term "via" pronounced v-EYE-ah, and not v-EEH-ah, as it would be pronounced in Latin. [/B]
in latin v's are pronouced as w's so it's "weea" when pronounced. someone remind me why on earth i ever took up latin ...oh yeah thats it it had no coursework lol

Quote:
You mean 'color'... right?
dont even get me started on that....
stupid bloomin americns....cant even spell...

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 04:22 PM   #68
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah, speaking of language hoo-hahs, I'm currently writing about Geo-visualisation of archaeological sites, so you can imagine the headaches with the research.... "Okay, so first geo-visualisation.... okay, okay, no hits, I'll try geovisualisation... hmmm... still nothing... okay.... geo-visualization..... hmmmm ... nada.... let's try geovisualization.....? Ah buggerit! "

Last edited by BeardofPants : 03-18-2004 at 04:23 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:06 PM   #69
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I hate numbers! I'll post to see if my time agrees with the post time. As JD said, Indiana doesn't do daylight savings time. It's 4:10pm.

The post time said 3:06pm.

Last edited by Lizra : 03-18-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:34 PM   #70
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

-5 GMT

Boston, Massachusetts

for any unlucky enough to find themselves driving around our lovely town:

Quote:
BASIC RULES FOR DRIVING IN BOSTON
(subject to change at any time):

When on a one way street, stay to the right to allow oncoming traffic to pass.

Never, ever, stop for a pedestrian unless he flings himself under the wheels of your car.

The first parking space you see will be the last parking space you see. Grab it.

Double park in the North End of Boston, unless triple parking is available.

Learn to swerve abruptly. Boston is the home of slalom driving, thanks to the Registry of Motor Vehicles, which puts potholes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep them on their toes.

Never get in the way of a car that needs extensive bodywork.

Always look both ways when running a red light.

Honk your horn the instant the light changes.

Breakdown lanes are not for breaking down, but for speeding, especially during rush hour. Breakdown lanes may also end without warning causing traffic jams as people merge back in.

Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only warn other drivers to speed up and not let you in.

Making eye contact revokes your right of way.

Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right.

Whenever possible, stop in the middle of a crosswalk to ensure inconveniencing as many pedestrians as possible. And if a pedestrian ahead of you steps in the road, speed up loudly and chase him back up on the curb. Peds have no rights.
this is not a joke
Old 03-18-2004, 06:19 PM   #71
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Re: Time Zones and Places!

Mithrand1r: GMT-5 (EST), Toms River, NJ (April-October it is DST & GMT-4)

I personally prefer Daylight Saving Time, DST, since I would rather have the hour of light used in the evening than in the morning.

I really do not like it when it gets dark about 16:45.

I usually keep in mind that:
Europe is 5-7 hours in front of Eastern Time Zone depending on Country.

Australia, China, Korea, and Japan are 12-16 hours in front of Eastern Time Zone depending on the season and country.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:22 PM   #72
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
-5 GMT

Boston, Massachusetts

for any unlucky enough to find themselves driving around our lovely town:

this is not a joke

Sad, but true.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:25 PM   #73
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

OK, now updated with brownie, khamul, lizra and crick!

oh, and mithrand1r just posted - hey, great idea! You saved me some typing

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:57 PM   #74
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanza
dont even get me started on that....
stupid bloomin americns....cant even spell...
We can spell perfectly well just as we can pronounce our words - we just don't use British English - we use American English. Now can you tell me WHY theater or center is spelt in Britain with a "tre" when it's pronunced as "ter" and not like "tre"? I have been to England and I know tha it isn't pronounced "centray" and "theatray". So why the "tre"?

I notice you guys don't spell the World Trade Center as we spell it- you translate it into British English. Which is ironic considering that in the Harry Potter thread people were saying how ignorant Americans were for translating Harry Potter into American English - or translating any British English into American English for that matter. So why is it acceptable for Britain to translate American words when talking about things in America - but it isn't right for us to do the same thing?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-18-2004 at 08:32 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:48 PM   #75
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Rian - I am from New JERSEY not Naw Yawk. Please change it to the proper state before I resort to violence.. Everyone on this board should know exactly where I am from and my feelings toward the state to the north.

if you don't change it - you can delete it. For those you think I am from naw yawk - people just have to look at my website http://www.AboutNewJersey.com and my location next to my name.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-18-2004 at 11:49 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:00 AM   #76
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Rian - I am from New JERSEY not Naw Yawk. Please change it to the proper state before I resort to violence.. Everyone on this board should know exactly where I am from and my feelings toward the state to the north.
Your not from New Jersey, your from New Joisey. Heck, theres no such thing as New jersey, you crazy person

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:35 AM   #77
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
Your not from New Jersey, your from New Joisey. Heck, theres no such thing as New jersey, you crazy person
oooohhhhh, there's gonna be trouble! *runs for cover*
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:30 AM   #78
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Rian - I am from New JERSEY not Naw Yawk. Please change it to the proper state before I resort to violence..
Oh my goodness - how did that happen? *innocent look*

I was working hard to translate your posts to me - I have trouble understanding things like "Well you better get to it" - what I thought you were probably trying to say was something like "Thanks for putting this list together! It's interesting and helpful and fun. Would you please add my city to my entry? It's Plainsboro. Thanks, I'd appreciate it! " I guess I just got a little "confused" and "accidentally" put New York instead of New Jersey .... Sorry, I'll go fix it right away!

(altho I noticed that in your most recent post, you used "please" I understood it much better! )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 03-19-2004 at 03:36 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:20 AM   #79
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
We can spell perfectly well just as we can pronounce our words - we just don't use British English - we use American English. Now can you tell me WHY theater or center is spelt in Britain with a "tre" when it's pronunced as "ter" and not like "tre"? I have been to England and I know tha it isn't pronounced "centray" and "theatray". So why the "tre"?
JD, you English speakers (in whatever of its dialects: british, american, aussie...) cannot reason that way. English is not pronounced as it is written. "Theatre" could be also be pronounced "dheatre"
Old 03-19-2004, 05:25 AM   #80
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
We can spell perfectly well just as we can pronounce our words - we
Great. Why don't you improve your American English a little more? Change the /o/ in 'women' and remove the last /n/ in 'condemn' unless you're talking about condemnation. Those of you who pronounce surprise 'su-prise', start to spell it that way.

Quote:
I notice you guys don't spell the World Trade Center as we spell it- you translate it into British English.
So why is it acceptable for Britain to translate American words when talking about things in America - but it isn't right for us to do the same thing?
Maybe because the World Trade Center isn't something in America, but something that exists in hundreds of nations. In countries where English isn't spoken, it is natural to keep the American spelling. But in countries like the UK, Canada and Australia, why should people spell their World Trade Centres in any other way than the way which is correct to them?
Don't say "because the World Trade Center is originally something American". When there's a WTC in another country, it's their WTC and they spell it the way they feel is correct.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 03-19-2004 at 05:29 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote