Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-26-2002, 09:46 AM   #61
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by TinuvielChild

Agreed on all points. Kerowyn is definitely NOT the way she is portrayed on the cover!!! on that topic, has anyone else noticed that they got the eye color wrong on 2 of the 3 Vows and Honor books? i think the only one they got right was Oathblood, the anthology of Tarma and Kethry stories. *shrug*
You set her off again! (groans) She'll go on for DAYS, but she's right. I don't think that they've EVER managed to get a cover completely correct. The artwork inside of some of the hard cover books is cool, and
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 02:58 PM   #62
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

The art inside the books is done by her husband, I think. So of course it works

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 05:48 PM   #63
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
The art inside the books is done by her husband, I think. So of course it works
How'd you know that? Who does the artwork for the covers?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 06-01-2002, 08:44 PM   #64
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by TwirlingString
How'd you know that? Who does the artwork for the covers?
The inside artwork is done by Larry Dixon, who I know is her husband because it says so in the author's note in the back of Winds of Fury.

The cover art is done by one Jody Lee. They sell her paintings. Beats me why

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-01-2002, 10:19 PM   #65
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Word of advice: DO NOT READ THE GATES OF SLEEP!!! it is one of her WORST books so far! *shudder*

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 02:47 AM   #66
Eruviel Greenleaf

I'll be sure not to. Thanks for the warning

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-06-2002, 03:12 PM   #67
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Word of advice: DO NOT READ THE GATES OF SLEEP!!! it is one of her WORST books so far! *shudder*
Agree, agree. Sleeping beauty origionally is bad enough, but you don't make the main character randomly fall in love with a doctor because you forgot the guy. On that subject, am I the only one who liked Uncle Tom as a prospect for the role of the origional prince? It's not like they're actually RELATED!

Old 10-13-2002, 06:04 AM   #68
Garina
Elf Lord

Yay! I managed to get copies of the Last Herald Mage trilogy. Bit depressing aren't they. I cried. Lots. Tylendel, sniff
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 05:41 PM   #69
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Gaah. The only thing she's been writing lately seems to be the Bedlam's Bard series; those are good, but whatever. I heard that the one about Alberich is out! Don't know, though. Sorta lost touch on her books after I reread LotR and got rehooked on Tolkien.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-16-2002, 10:27 PM   #70
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

I am out of it. i am sleepy. i want Owlflight, owlsight, and owlknight and a new ont to that series. Let's complain and make her write books about what we want for once, eh?
LoD
I am Morwen, Lady of Darkness.

Her head was bowed,
from all the tears and pain,
but she would rise again
Lady of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 03:59 PM   #71
Telperion
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Darkness
I am out of it. i am sleepy. i want Owlflight, owlsight, and owlknight and a new ont to that series. Let's complain and make her write books about what we want for once, eh?
LoD
I didn't like her Owlflight books that much. I thought that they were defintaely her worst Valdemar book. (I can't get any more specific than that since i haven't read all of her other books) I want her to publish books that fill in the gaps in Valdemar's histroy. i wan't more about Shin'a' in too, her Oathblood/Oathbreakers/Oathbound series were probably my favorite. Warrl rules!!

Aim for the stars, if you miss, you'll at least land on the moon!

He who is made of air should not accuse the wind.

My mind wanders.
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Therefore, my mind is not lost.
Now, my question to those of you who doubt my sanity is this: How can someone who has not lost their mind be insane?
Telperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:13 PM   #72
Celebrian
Enting

Quote:
I heard that the one about Alberich is out! Don't know, though. Sorta lost touch on her books after I reread LotR and got rehooked on Tolkien.
It is, I saw it in Indigo books, it's called something about a traitor I think. There was also one about skiff called hire a theif or something. I am not sure what the titles are.

Tall ships and tall kings, three times three.
What brought they form the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 06:23 PM   #73
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

I haven't read any of her books before, but I want to the library today in search of a book and saw her series. I sat i front of that book shelf for like forever trying to figure which was in what series, what order, and so on. There seemed to be like a lmillion different series, and mini-series, and so on. I finally picked up By The Sword, it looked good( even though I agree, the coverart isn't too appealing) and it looked like an okay place to start. Any suggestions on what to read, and what order, or does anyone know like a website womewhere where the have the order?? I'm just really confused right now....
Old 11-07-2002, 06:19 PM   #74
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Okay, the order is something like this:

Black Gryphon
White Gryphon
Silver Gryphon
Magic's Pawn
Magic's Promise
Magic's Price
The Oathbound
Oathbreakers
Oathblood
By the Sword
Arrows of the Queen
Arrow's Flight
Arrow's Fall
Winds of Fate
Winds of Change
Winds of Fury
Storm Warning
Storm Rising
Storm Breaking
Owlsight
Owlflight
Owlknight

plus the new ones, which I haven't read and have no clue where they fit in. Helpful? Oh, those are just the Valdemar ones; there are also the SERRAted Edge ones (my favorites) and the Bedlam's Bard ones (my second favorites), plus some Di Tregarde (the first of which is out of print....grrrr).

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 11-09-2002, 06:04 PM   #75
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

TC, did i forget to mention that Codman Square library has like six copies of the first Di Tregarde? All the new ones come right before arrow's of the queen. All except for brightly burning anyway, that one comes way in the past. As in remember the famous firebringer? I think it's Lavan Firestorm

Old 11-09-2002, 06:05 PM   #76
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Celebrian
It is, I saw it in Indigo books, it's called something about a traitor I think. There was also one about skiff called hire a theif or something. I am not sure what the titles are.
Okay the new ones you mean are Takes a Thief and Exile's Honor. What about Brightly Burning?

Old 11-09-2002, 09:23 PM   #77
TinuvielChild
Padawan

TS. You're hurting me here. First you insult my memory and dignity (saying I don't remember you telling me about the Codman Square branch of the library, which I can't bloody get to and I really don't want to order books - just take it out for me!!!), then you don't capitalize the title of books, and then you misuse an apostrophe! *whimpers of grammatical pain* Look, if you need me to, I'll sodding teach you the rules of grammar! Just don't misuse it, please, I'm begging you...

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 11-09-2002, 09:29 PM   #78
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Quote:
Originally posted by TwirlingString
Okay the new ones you mean are Takes a Thief and Exile's Honor. What about Brightly Burning?
You mean Take a Thief, not "Takes a Thief". Honestly.

[edit] Hmm. Can you tell I was being very grammatically inclined earlier? Sorry 'bout that.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!

Last edited by TinuvielChild : 11-09-2002 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:40 PM   #79
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

Wow thanks for that list. Those will keep me busy for a while!!!
Old 11-11-2002, 07:45 PM   #80
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
TS. You're hurting me here. First you insult my memory and dignity (saying I don't remember you telling me about the Codman Square branch of the library, which I can't bloody get to and I really don't want to order books - just take it out for me!!!), then you don't capitalize the title of books, and then you misuse an apostrophe! *whimpers of grammatical pain* Look, if you need me to, I'll sodding teach you the rules of grammar! Just don't misuse it, please, I'm begging you...
*sticks out tounge* I'm only grammically correct on essays and test. Online I type too fast to worry about it.