Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2003, 01:45 AM   #61
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilder
Because SGH edited out the flames, I was unable to see them, but I trust her judgment.
oh - I have copies if you want.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 02:55 AM   #62
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilder
Thank you .
You're welcome - hey, can I get a discount on my Entmoot membership fees?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 10:36 AM   #63
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Freddie! Purple and Pink day! Angry admin wrath!

Ah those were the days
Old 03-16-2003, 11:43 AM   #64
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

man, alive, look at what you people do when im away....

speaking of changing titles....
Old 03-16-2003, 11:51 AM   #65
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
man, alive, look at what you people do when im away....

speaking of changing titles....
hehe you've missed some good laughs LT

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 10:20 PM   #66
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

Luth- So, you live in Canada?
Old 03-17-2003, 07:32 AM   #67
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
So that's brown noser and Admins Pet
If I were an admin I wouldn't mind having you as a pet Not that I have any desire to be such a thing (what's an admin, can you eat those?)

Quote:
is it just me or when things that really matter get discussed on MB they end up having flaming in them???
That's probably because they are topics that people feel very strongly about & as we are such a large, diverse community we are bound to have the odd scrumage (I think it also has something to do with the cultural differences where people from one country might use 'slang' that is totally foreign to the other people here). Point is we should at least attempt to understand and respect the fact that we are all entitled to our opinions, even if other people's do not agree with ours.

Quote:
Like that hasn't happened before on one of the Iraq/"Anti-American" threads before.
JD - I don't think anyone here is truly "Anti-American", it's just that our opinions happen to differ from yours on that (and related) threads.

Quote:
Are you implying that I overstepped my bounds? You are more than welcome to appeal to Ben if you feel that I have acted inappropriately by closing the thread.
Methinks the thread was dying a slow painful death anyway (there were too many threads in a similar vain going on simultaneously which sorta detracted from the Iraq thread IMO). On the whole I reckon you & other mods are sharp (we're just jealous of yer powers - like kids fighting over who wants to be the red Power Ranger )

Quote:
Immature men who felt a need to test their testosterone levels?
Uh uh - 'cos they couldn't have a proper p*ss in the wind (no offense guys) *shut up K, wanna get slapped again?*

Quote:
It leaves it up to the readers to try filling in the blanks. Someone else pointed that out too.
Kinda fun that way - we sorta get to just make up our own stories & speculate etc

I actually can't believe the furore the closing of one thread has caused - not like it's the only thread that has ever or will ever be closed

Quote:
Smelly Orc? Cool. A new kinda goal.
Yeah - worst I've been called so far is a crazy goblin (or something to that effect) - I thought it was a pretty nice compliment (thanx to the sender - you know who you are )

And back to the topic of this thread (I feel naked)

Dúnedain, is that your special way of celebrating spring? *tries desperately not to picture D skipping naked through the forest*
Old 03-17-2003, 09:20 AM   #68
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
JD - I don't think anyone here is truly "Anti-American", it's just that our opinions happen to differ from yours on that (and related) threads.
I don't think that's accurate. I've read some remarks which certainly sound Anti-American.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 09:38 AM   #69
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I don't think that's accurate. I've read some remarks which certainly sound Anti-American.
Yeah, but like you say - they sound like that. Keep in mind that the poster might not have intended it as such & it is said within the context of a specific thread.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:45 AM   #70
Gwaimir Windgem

Such comments as "Americans are a shallow people".

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-17-2003, 09:58 AM   #71
Baby-K
Corruptor

But there have been similar comments made about all nationalities who post here (basically all anyway). It's stereotypical references which are obviously not helpful, but I still maintain that most of these type of remarks are made in the heat of the moment & do not necessarily reflect a person's orientation toward a country or it's people as a whole.

Some of these remarks are also provoked unwittingly (for instance the English language does not have a plural for "you" so I have noticed many a time that just that little thing causes a big frackas because people read it as a personal attack).

And yes the example you posted is a bit derogratory, but I think it was aimed a specific person not all Americans.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:14 AM   #72
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
But of the americans i met from around the country i found them to be rather shallow and 1 dimesnional people
This was the comment I referred to, which was not made in the heat of an argument in the least. Didn't even give us TWO dimensions!

But anyway, I don't know about here, but other places I go, I've heard people say that America is the only evil in the world, and other people say that they hate America; also that Americans are almost all idiots who just live off a very few intelligent people (around the average intelligence for other countries, I believe). I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes there isn't much benefit left to give.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-17-2003, 10:23 AM   #73
Baby-K
Corruptor

If I'm not mistaken that was posted by Sween in the greatest ambition thread some time ago when the topic turned a bit & became of travelling. Keep in mind that he was talking of personal experience of the people he had met and not all Americans.

Also a lot of what people are saying is based on what is portrayed in the media & also the current events - Iraq for one. The whole world is up in arms (so to speak) about the issue & the majority of the people around the world do not want to engage in war - I think people are just generally tired of bloodshed, yet because of George Bush's statements it seems that he is being purposely obtuse. Not only is he ignoring the comments from the rest of the world, but also of his own people as there are many Americans who are also opposing the war efforts.

As a result the anger / resentment against him is spilling over in the world's view of your country - also he is the leader of the country and as such people identify his weaknesses with that of the country because we will always have it in the back of our minds that he was elected by the people and thus they must somehow agree with his stance. Besides, they can't directly speak to the man, so they do the next best thing...

I fully sympathise with you though, it's not easy being objective when you are constantly being bombarded by such remarks. We still get it all the time too, because I happen to be a white South African many people automatically assume I am racist because of what they had heard via the international media (which never portrays the full story anyway)

Last edited by Baby-K : 03-17-2003 at 10:25 AM.
Baby-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 10:30 AM   #74
Gwaimir Windgem

Many Americans are opposed, yes, but more are for. Can't do what everyone wants at once very well.

Of course it doesn't. Dern media.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-17-2003, 02:03 PM   #75
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Dúnedain, is that your special way of celebrating spring? *tries desperately not to picture D skipping naked through the forest*
LIES! You know you are picturing it and loving it!!!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 02:10 PM   #76
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Some of these remarks are also provoked unwittingly (for instance the English language does not have a plural for "you" so I have noticed many a time that just that little thing causes a big frackas because people read it as a personal attack).
Don't tell that to us New Yorkers! We certainly do have a plural form of "you"

Quote:

I think people are just generally tired of bloodshed, yet because of George Bush's statements it seems that he is being purposely obtuse. Not only is he ignoring the comments from the rest of the world, but also of his own people as there are many Americans who are also opposing the war efforts.
K, i hate to say it, but again here is what is wrong with statements on this board. You claim Bush is being obtuse, when in actuality you yourself were just obtuse. The reason I say this is you said he is ignoring comments "from his own as there are many Americans who are also opposing the war efforts." That is true, however it is a small minority in America. As of the most recent poll, 65% of Americans are for military action. Now how is he being obtuse?

Also, we don't need to listen to the world to protect our people and avoid 9/11 from happening again....
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 03-17-2003, 02:20 PM   #77
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Yeah - worst I've been called so far is a crazy goblin (or something to that effect) - I thought it was a pretty nice compliment (thanx to the sender - you know who you are )
Oh I thought of better names then that Baby-K but I didnt want to get slapped.

Anyway "goblin" may not be the right word. What do you call those mischivious little creatures that come in the night when everyone is asleep and get up to all sorts of trouble then when you wake up you see the mess theyve made. Thats what its like to us Americans who are asleep while yer awake and busy on here. But perhaps crazy little demon would be more appropriate.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 02:28 PM   #78
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
The reason I say this is you said he is ignoring comments "from his own as there are many Americans who are also opposing the war efforts." That is true, however it is a small minority in America. As of the most recent poll, 65% of Americans are for military action. Now how is he being obtuse?
Well I wouldnt exactly call 35% of 330 million people a small number. And anyway I think its actually better that someone from say South Africa who may not be intensly tuned into the differences between americans on this issue is actually aware that americans are not all the same brainless zombies on every issue. I mean isnt that what everyone was just arguing about above? That some people throughout the world think that america is full of idiots and sheep being lead by a war hungry fool. Well we arent. theres a lot of differences of opinions. in fact its probably a good way to define our culture. We strongly stand for the right to defy and disagree with our own government and our governments policies. Its almost a sport here. We arent all the same mindless captilist pig clones in ugly leisure suits with big hair. And its good that someone from so far away has realized this. Dont you think?

Oh that reminds me we were talking about renaming certain foods earlier. Did anyone see Saturday Night Live last weekend? Apparently they did a spoof about that and the french were renaming certain things and they said the "american cheese" would now be called "idiot cheese". *laugh* See we can mock ourselves too. So we cant be all that ignorant and monolithic dont you think?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 03-17-2003 at 02:30 PM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 02:39 PM   #79
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
You weren't around last year during the summer when the REAL anti-Americanism had come out. Things had calmed down quite a bit because the admins had closed several threads. It got so bad that threads had to be postfixed with "(No America Bashing)" or similar statements. The things which went on in this last Iraq thread were tame.

I also agree with Gwaimir Windgem and Dúnedain - 65% of Americans support Bush's stand and support military action. A poll just came out also indicated that less than 50% of Americans have a favoriable opinion of the UN now.

The UN has never been required to conduct military action. Some how France has convinced the world that it is.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 02:42 PM   #80
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Well I wouldnt exactly call 35% of 330 million people a small number.
I never said that either, however 65% of 330 million people is a lot greater

--Linaewen