Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2002, 04:22 PM   #61
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
If my kid doesn't like it we just wait until he's hungry enough that it suddenly tastes good. Nobody will starve and the habit grows until the familiarity makes the food taste better. My son is the only 8-year old I know who loves a good salad.
Hey, someone after my own heart! All 3 of my kids LOVE salad! And our attitude about meals is - here's the dinner/lunch/breakfast that has been lovingly prepared for the family, you may eat it or not, but the next meal will be breakfast/dinner/lunch. They won't starve, and they sure learn to eat a lot more things And fruit is always available for between meals. It's not good for anyone in the house to have Mom be a short-order cook, taking separate orders from everyone. It might sound rather hard-hearted, but the kids also learn that their wants/needs are not at the center of the universe but there are other people just as important in the house, and if their favorite is not being served, then be happy for the person whose favorite is being served, and yours will come up again soon. Also, I make a variety of things with each meal, and they can usually find at least 2 things they like (but they usually like everything). I think it's sad to hear parents say "my kids only eat pbj's for every meal". Not good physically or mentally. Well, what a long post - I should have gone to the vent thread! PS - we all love Taco Bell, too!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 04:39 PM   #62
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

MMMmm... I think I'm going to RÃ*an's house for dinner.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:11 PM   #63
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hey, we're having Taco Bell tonight - wanna come? (just kidding - I still haven't figured out what we're having tonight!) (But I admit to a weakness for Taco Bell!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-30-2002, 05:35 PM   #64
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Well said Rian, but I'm the lone dissenter on Taco Smell in the house. I'm picky about me Tex-Mex. I'll eat Kung-Pao Tripe before I'll eat T-B. The fruit is a good idea and it cuts down on sugar-based snacks. Popcorn and ice cream are the main treats after proper food is eaten.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 06:36 PM   #65
Rían

I prefer Pollo Loco and Baja Fresh to TB, but they're much more expensive Good 'ol TB!

ps - we all like popcorn and ice cream, too. We group food into 2 categories - "healthy food" and "FUN food". As long as you get plenty of healthy food, there's room for the FUN food, too And cookie dough - why bother to bake the cookie when the dough is so yummy? Although I worry about salmonella sometimes...

Old 09-30-2002, 07:03 PM   #66
Cirdan

Pollo Loco! I haven't been there in a while. I love fhat stuff.! I think that is a no children place, maybe. We have a Rio Grande Cafe near by. I've always wanted to go to the Red Sage, but ouch it's expensive. Ice cream and popcorn are pretty healthy for fun food. Is that store bought cookie dough? I think they make it in a machine if that is any comfort. Another thing I can't eat.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 09-30-2002, 07:10 PM   #67
Rían

It was a big tub of cookie dough that a neighbor kid was selling for a fundraiser that we ate all up w/o cooking. I figured that all of the salmonella was processed out of it. But I will still let them lick the beaters with homemade stuff - I just hope for the best Actually, I wouldn't let them when they were younger and would have had a more severe reaction to salmonella, but they're older now. And it is fairly rare (although not unheard of) in raw eggs. At least, I think so.... though if you're going to die of s. poisoning, it might as well be from cookie dough!

Old 09-30-2002, 08:12 PM   #68
Cirdan

French fries linked to cancer

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 10-01-2002, 02:07 AM   #69
Millane
The Dude

this is just my opinion but in australia i think there is no excuse for eating maccas or the sort just for the fun of it particularly when there is a plentiful supply of fruit all year round. i admit i eat fast food occassionally but if there is a choice b/w a hamburger or a few mangos... well i thinka mango would win 9/10.
fast food isnt more of a big deal for me because if i need fast food i will eat a few meat pies (a luxury few other countries get to enjoy) and they arent too bad.
Nothing beats a good homecooked meal
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 09:41 AM   #70
Duddun
I Antha

I love French Fries but I rarely get them, I only like some fries, theres this place where I live that serves the best Fries.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 10:59 AM   #71
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

We like buffets. Old Country Buffet is our favorite, everybody can get tons of food, each his own style. I have to admit, after twenty years of home cooked meals, I am totally burnt out! I'm sick of doing it, I'm sick of eating it! (Mid life crises! ) We do OCBuffet once a week, and the local chinese buffet another day, Papa John's Pizza on soccer nite, Taco Bell or Wendy's sometimes too. It's almost gotten to the point that the others are excited about my home cooking again! ha ha! My two kids have opposite tastes though, and that drives me crazy. I don't mind making breakfast for dinner. You know, eggs, pancakes, bacon and all that bit. When I eat that stuff for breakfast, it makes me want to go back to bed! (too filling) . I like other peoples cooking the best!

Last edited by Lizra : 10-01-2002 at 11:00 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:59 AM   #72
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I like other peoples cooking the best!
Absolutely!!!!! My mom used to let us choose what we wanted for dinner on our birthday, and I never understood why she kind of sighed when I chose a home-cooked meal instead of eating out - now, after 3 kids and a zillion home-cooked meals, I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND!! I love to hear those 3 special little words from my husband :
"let's eat out!"
*hee hee*
"I love you" is pretty nice, too!

Old 10-03-2002, 02:13 PM   #73
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Taco-Bell! I'll take three standard run-of-the-mill tacos please! Actually, I go to Taco Time here as the food is WAY better, but I think they are only a Northwest chain. I also like to go have some Dick's Burgers, which is a local Seattle chain.

This whole debate over 'fast-food & obesity is a bunch of crock. The trouble is people wont take responsibility for their own lives and wish to blame say McDonalds for making them fat. Well, McDonalds didn't make them go in and buy big macs every day... There is this thing that works wonders called exercise! It works as I do it and am fairly fit, even if I do go for the fast burger or taco now and then... which reminds me.. it's lunch!
Old 10-03-2002, 04:09 PM   #74
Rían

Has anyone seen that really funny Far Side cartoon with the overweight lady outside the sweet shop? She is holding on for dear life to a parking meter outside the shop, with her feet up in the air and her body parallel to the ground, as she is literally getting sucked into the shop!!
Yeah, that whole "I'm a victim" mindset is really irritating - I feel very sad for people that think that way, they'll just be stuck in their problems and be angry at everyone.

Old 10-06-2002, 11:54 AM   #75
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

fast food is good for a nice treat, but nothing beats a hot home-cooked meal.
Old 10-07-2002, 03:02 PM   #76
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Actually, I would consider fast food more of a punishment than a treat, but, that's just me.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:04 PM   #77
mirrille
Elven Warrior

That's so true. For me it is literally a punishment because if I have to eat it at school, it means I was too lazy or slept in and that's why I didn't have enough time to pack real food for lunch. The closest food place is in the university hospital, and we all know how appetizing hospital food is...
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 03:03 PM   #78
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Yeah, well, my school food is scarier than fast food... and that's pretty darn scary.!!
Old 10-11-2002, 06:38 PM   #79
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by Rûdhaglarien
Yeah, well, my school food is scarier than fast food... and that's pretty darn scary.!!
Ohh, don't remind me of my elementary school food . . .

Actually, food in general makes me sick, but that's another story. I can't stand fast food, however. Nutrition? I don't think there is any in it. I doubt it's real food to begin with!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 07:38 PM   #80
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Food in general scares you? So what do you eat? Or have you just discoverd human photosinthesis???

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote