Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-31-2002, 07:36 AM   #61
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Not meaning to diss religion at all, but a lot can be said of the fact that despite the numbers of christians far out waying athiests/agnostics, their music still hasn't broken into the mainstream.
I agree with you BoP. But it has nothing to do with the quality of Christian music. (Some has gone mainstream though, DC Talk's Jesus Freak and Jars of Clay. Those are two of them.) People, just don't think that Christian music is cool because it doesn't talk about raping someones sister or killing your mother. Many Christians are embarrased to listed to Christian music.
I only listen to Christian and there really is an amazing selection of Christian Music.
You could name almost any band and I could name a good christian substitute - Without the cussing and raving about sex.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 07:44 AM   #62
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by emplynx

I only listen to Christian and there really is an amazing selection of Christian Music.
You could name almost any band and I could name a good christian substitute - Without the cussing and raving about sex.
Yes and no. I think a lot of it has to do with quality. Someone brought it up earlier in the thread that they're just not being innovative enough, and I would have to agree with them. BUT, then I have to say that a lot of modern music is crap and not particularly innovative either. It's not just a phenomenon of christian music. And I would just like to point out here that I listen to a LOT of music (I don't like modern music), and the majority of it doesn't have cussing or sex in it. Off the top of my head, Bob Dylan and Frank Sinatra weren't overtly rude and trashy mouthed.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:20 AM   #63
dream wanderer
Sapling

The duet I mentioned...Mary Mary is also having some mainstream sucess. They were kind of like Jars of Clay...they didn't intend to 'go mainstream'...it sort of just happened.

Someone started playing their song "Unshackled" in dance clubs and it went from there...surprised the group.

dream wanderer
Old 06-01-2002, 02:15 PM   #64
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

And I would just like to point out here that I listen to a LOT of music (I don't like modern music), and the majority of it doesn't have cussing or sex in it.
I agree BOP. There is alot of excellent of good, clean secular music. I don't condem it at all. I mostly choose not to listen to it though. I have no problem with people listening to stuff like that.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:47 PM   #65
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

I listen to Zoe Girl (I love their new CD, Life) and Go Fish, and Oikos Worship.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!

Last edited by Claenoic : 06-06-2002 at 01:07 PM.
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 10:02 PM   #66
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I went to see Go Fish with a friend of mine, but her father (a preacher) got mad and dragged us out of there, because they weren't singing songs about God.

?
Old 06-06-2002, 05:47 PM   #67
Carafin
Elven Warrior

I like Audio Adrenaline, Out of Eden, Point of Grace, Zoegirl and lots of others...I just can't think of names I don't have alot of C.D.s but one of the ones I have is WOW,which has a mix of music
I also listen to secular music, but I'm very picky however not all sec. music has cussing and sex in it (lucky for me )

four be the things I'd be better off without,
love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt
Queen Guinevere?
Though all to ruin fell the world,
And were dissolved and backward hurled,
Unmade into the old abyss,
Yet were its making good for this,
The dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea,
That Luthien for a time shoud be ~
~Beren: The Song of Parting
Carafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 11:20 PM   #68
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Has anyone heard of hte Christian band "Jake"? They're from Alberta, Canada and I think they're 3 brothers or something. They're pretty good.

I love Jars of Clay, DC Talk is okay. I used to listen to all secular stuff but for the last two or so years, all I've listened to is a Christian radio station, and it's great. My sisters love Zoe Girl and La Rue, too.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 02:09 PM   #69
Glorious Glorfindel
Elven Warrior

is that the WOW 2000 or 2001 cd? that's got sum great stuff on it. point of grace is good as well, we have done some of that stuff in church.
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

add a drop of lavander to milk.
leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
Glorious Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 06:24 PM   #70
Carafin
Elven Warrior

it is the wow 2002 c.d. and I like just about every song on it the other kind of music that I like (other than"mainstream" ) is classical-Beethoven and Tchaikovsky are my especial favourites

four be the things I'd be better off without,
love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt
Queen Guinevere?
Though all to ruin fell the world,
And were dissolved and backward hurled,
Unmade into the old abyss,
Yet were its making good for this,
The dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea,
That Luthien for a time shoud be ~
~Beren: The Song of Parting
Carafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 08:20 AM   #71
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Actually, on Saturday night I went to a Newsboys concert in Toronto! Thousand Foot Krutch and Jake opened for them. It was awesome.

And only $25!
Old 06-10-2002, 07:30 PM   #72
Jadera
Elven Warrior

I adore Steven Curtis Chapman. He's my favorite Christian musician at the moment. Also:
DC Talk
Newsboys-going to see them in concert at Six Flags this summer!!
Carmen
Michael W. Smith
Chris Tomlin-Passion cds anyone? He sang at the youth camp I just got back from. Amazing band.
Crimson Clay
And yes, of course, Veggie Tales

I'm a Christian and I listen to a variety of secular music. As long as it doesn't have sex and cussing in it, I don't see a problem with some of it. God gave music to mankind, ya know? I just avoid things that are depressing and darken my mind.
Because I'll tell you, I'm the first person in line the next time Dave Matthews plays in my area.

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 10:33 PM   #73
Frodo&Merry'sGurl
Sapling

I really like Rebecca St. James, I went to a concert of hers and it was awesome. I also like Sonic Flood, MWS, Clear, Newsboys, DC Talk, Third Day....

In place of a dark lord you would have a queen. Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn.
Treacherous as the sea. Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair."
-Galadriel
Frodo&Merry'sGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 09:20 PM   #74
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by Frodo&amp;Merry'sGurl
I really like Rebecca St. James, I went to a concert of hers and it was awesome. I also like Sonic Flood, MWS, Clear, Newsboys, DC Talk, Third Day....
I saw RSJ in concert too in Virginia. It was really awesome.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:28 PM   #75
Frodo&Merry'sGurl
Sapling

Not only was Rebecca's singing good, but her message on abstinance was really good too.

In place of a dark lord you would have a queen. Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn.
Treacherous as the sea. Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair."
-Galadriel
Frodo&Merry'sGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:57 AM   #76
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Take this thread back to the top
Old 10-06-2002, 08:15 PM   #77
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I love Vegytails! (Did I spell that right?) I also love this song that I am listening to right now, it is called We Love You Jesus by Greg Long, it is great, I have it downloaded onto the computer and listen to it every time that I get on, sometime soon I will copy it onto a CD! I also like Yes Jesus loves me by Georgia Mass Choir (never heard of them, but I typed in Jesus Loves me and found it).

I just downlaoded the Color Song by Petra, it's great, I have heard my friend singing it before, and was wondering what it was called.

I am also downloading Picture Frame by LaRue, is that the right person? I don't think that I ever have listend to music by them, not sher, but is that a song that they wrote? The place that I download songs on is good, but sometimes it gets things rong and stuff.

All that I mainly listen to is Christian music, other then that, I listen to songs that have to do with LOTR (like the Balid of Bilbo Baggens) and my LOTR CD. So ya, I do like christian music- alot.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:25 PM   #78
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

• 77s
  • Resurrection Band
  • Grammatrain
  • The Prayer Chain
  • Sometime Sunday
  • Larry Norman
  • POD
  • Rachel Rachel
  • Bloodgood
  • Darrell Mansfield
  • Chasing Furies

Looking at the bands that seem to be on most everyone's list in this thread, it looks like a playlist for commercial christian radio. My list are ones that have been around awhile, some have long since disbanded. with the exception of Resurrection (REZ) Band, 77s, and of course Larry Norman.

There is a Christian music industry, whose goal is to make money, and so therefore will only carry and sell what will be acceptable to the 'contemporary christian market'. but then there has always been the question as to whether 'contemporary christian music' was for entertaining christians or witnissing to non-christians. Which is it? Opinions?

Last edited by Snowdog : 10-16-2002 at 01:32 PM.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:55 PM   #79
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
but then there has always been the question as to whether 'contemporary christian music' was for entertaining christians or witnissing to non-christians. Which is it? Opinions?
And then there is the question of whether all songs have to specifically refer to Christ or Christianity in order to be considered "Christian". After reading about what Michael Card had to say about the CCM Industry, I have all but given up on it as contrived, and superficial. Card went battled depression in college, and ended up writing a song about it. The producers wouldn't let him put it on his album unless he followed it up with something positive. So he ended up writing this song called, "With Hope" (or something to that effect), and he despises it, but it's on his album. A lot of people struggle with depression. I think they should have let him be real, and not water down a real issue.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 04:42 PM   #80
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Why should the devil have all the good music?...

Until a few days ago I wouldn't have listened to Christian music if you paid me, but a friend made me a CD and now I'm converted (to the music, not Christianity - too late for that! ) I'll check out some of the bands you've all mentioned.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote