Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-28-2002, 11:10 AM   #61
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

It seems our technology is doing us in. Info travels so fast and far nowdays, people aren't given the time to think for themselves. Time to go to the hills! (if you can find any!)
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 11:12 AM   #62
Sween
im quite stupid

i live in the hills and if anything you get a clearer signal on your mobile
Old 07-28-2002, 04:25 PM   #63
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Well as far as clothes are concerned, I don't really pay attention to what's popular. If I like it, I like it and I'll probably get it. To be honest with you there's a lot of stuff out there that's popular right now that I wouldn't be caught dead in. I'm not a fan of this whole 80's revival thing - I think the whole look is trashy, and ugly!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 08:06 PM   #64
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

What 80's stuff are they reviving? When I shop, in the Junior Dept. all I see is butt crack hip huggers and other forms of "slutwear". There are stores at the mall I visit that all the clothes have this sleazy/peasant girl look. This mall is right by Purdue U so I think they cater to the young look. Then there's several stores that have super loud music and lots of giant pictures of shirtless young men with no chest hair. My hubby really thought they were "homo" stores (whatever that is!!) I told him that young men were the new "sex symbol" that was being marketed?! I don't know. My daughter doesn 't like any of it, thank goodness!

Last edited by Lizra : 07-28-2002 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:14 PM   #65
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'll nver forget seeing cutoffs (where they had precut the jeans into shorts) priced at $50 somewhere (this was in the late '80s). I thought to myself what fool would pay for that? You can buy a really cheap pair of jeans and cut them off yourself! It gets insane what they will charge for stuff that they spend a couple of dollars to make. And people buy it!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 11:42 PM   #66
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

i saw a pair of cutoffs for oh only about 195 bucks. i mean, get a cool sewing pattern and you could do the smae thing.. for about 10 bucks. but i have also been looking like crazy for some of that peasnt wear. it's not the gauzy halter tops though, it's like clasic-ish looking nicer stuff. so im stocking up while i can, before the fad fades away.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:32 AM   #67
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yeah, LOT'S of guazy halter tops! What about those goofy jeans that are painted or bleached to look like they have "wear" marks across the thighs. Weird! Remember the torn up sweatshirts of the 80's, like the Go-Go's and Flashdance girl used to wear! (giggle )
Old 07-29-2002, 10:39 PM   #68
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

oh i hate those pre-killed jeans. why bother, i can tear up my own, and save lots of $$
Old 07-31-2002, 07:54 PM   #69
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I think I could be a trendspotter. Every time I start liking something, it pops up in stores and magazines about three months later.

I've been getting into the bohemian look, BEFORE any of it was in stores. While I'm glad it's easier to get access to, some of it is really slutty, which isn't me.
I'm so sick of going to school and not being able to tell my friends apart.
And when is the glitter fad going to DIE?
You want to hear something scary? I caved in and bought a Seventeen magazine the other day, out of boredom. I basically see Seventeen as a 'preppy' magazine, and guess what I found in it? All the ways to be 'emo'. ARRRG! I myself am not really emo, but I do have some friends that are, and they will be outraged when they find out. Gah.

Last edited by Starr Polish : 07-31-2002 at 07:56 PM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 08:54 PM   #70
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

OK! What is EMO??
Old 07-31-2002, 09:14 PM   #71
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Good question. I myself at one time bought teenybopper magazines in the folly of my youth as well . . .

Eh, I was thirteen. So sue me.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 07-31-2002 at 09:17 PM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:24 PM   #72
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
I think I could be a trendspotter. Every time I start liking something, it pops up in stores and magazines about three months later.

It's so funny, because the same thing always would happen to me! For instance, I wore these jeans that were cut just above the knee (pedal pushers, I guess) that I had made myself. Everyone called them my Tom Sawyer pants. Then a year later Dirty Dancing came out and everyone was wearing those jeans cut just above the knee. That's just one example, it happened several other times, and occasionally still does (though it's less fashon and more often home decor or something boring like that ).
Old 07-31-2002, 10:14 PM   #73
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Home Decor, boring? No way! I love interior design! That's why I like Trading Spaces!(aside from the fact that the carpenmter is really good looking... )

Sorry, that was a little OT, my apologies...

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 02:16 AM   #74
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

(OT: Yeah, Ty's not bad looking, and the show is pretty cool)

Hmm...how would you describe emo? Well, it's more of a music than a style, but most 'emo kids' dress similar, though not all. Emo is short for emotion, and I used to call it semi-punk, because it's roots are from punk. The kids in the too small sweaters and those dark black "Rivers Cuomo" glasses (y'know, the lead singer of Weezer). Stereotypicaly very sensitive and sometimes wear chucks, and they like pretty socks. The music is stuff like Weezer (ick) and Dashboard Confessional (yay!).

My 'style', if I have it, is boho/medieval casual with a tiny pinch of emo and a dash of goth that no one ever gets to see. Heehee, first time I've ever analyzed that.

::singing:: Shallow.....no diving...please....
Old 08-01-2002, 02:21 AM   #75
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm still none the wiser as to what an "emo" is, but Weezer is okay! Not as great as they could have been, but they were a bright light in a dark time circa mid 90s "I hate everyone" music...
Old 08-01-2002, 02:57 AM   #76
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

hmm...Well, I'll put it this way. Rivers Cuomo is kind of the epitome of male emo...and emo is really hard to describe.

I dunno, I have this thing against Weezer. Not so much against people listening to it...I just don't like their songs.

A scary (but true) quote from one of my preppiest friends:
Quote:
You don't like Weezer?! I love Weezer! Well, actually, I've never heard any of their songs, but everyone likes them, so I do to.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:44 AM   #77
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I don't have a style. My motto isn't "mix and match" it's "mix and mismatch". I'm a colorful person.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 05:01 AM   #78
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Color can be bad though! Pastels scare me, especially when girls wear eyeshadow that matches their purple, orange or neon green shirt.
It's true, it's true! The horror!
Old 08-01-2002, 02:18 PM   #79
azalea
Long lost mooter

I used to like to wear 2 different colored socks. I had 3 pairs of Keds, one black, one white and one pink, and I'd wear a different color shoe on each foot (black and white, black and pink, or white and pink). I'd wear socks of opposing colors (right foot: white shoe, black sock; left foot: black shoe, white sock, for instance). It was fun. People always commented on it.

My brother has been playing in a band he described as emo for about 8 years. However, I think the music to which this label is applied has changed over the years, so he may not call it that anymore. It is very experimental music and the lead singer literally screams the lyrics. I like the music, but I don't really like the screaming and moaning.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:12 AM   #80
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I listen to music that matches my mood. I like some pop music, I also like Alternative, I have Grateful Dead Cds and Beatles. The only music I don't really like is country. It annoys me when people are so narrow minded about music. They think if they don't like it - then it's crap. Music is more about emotion and the feelings that a listener gets from it than anything else. The listener really has to be able to relate to the music in one way or another to really like it. I listen to classical and I know someone that is an Opera singer and sings at the Met.

I never plan on calling what someone else likes crap just because I don't like it. I may not like it - but I'm not going to pass judgement on what they like.

Music today is no better or worse than before - it's just different. Things change. I agree that Britney Spears and N'Sync, etc is bubble gum music - but sometimes a person doesn't want to always think.

This is my collection of DVDs (I had put this list on the web to help my sister and father know what DVDs NOT to get me ). My range of movie chooses is the same as my range of musical tastes or my reading selection. Some are bubble gum movies - others are classics. I watch them based on my mood. When I put my list of songs on the web I was suffering from sever depression - but I still like these songs and I can still relate to them.

Speaking of clothes - my mother used to ask me to get out of my perpetual morning phase, all I'd wear was black. She'd buy "colorful" clothes for me and they'd stay in my draw with the labels on them. Now I wear mostly Bullhead and Quicksilver. My favorite clothes store is PacSun.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-03-2002 at 12:36 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote