Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-17-2002, 11:06 AM   #61
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

To AfroElf

Gotta run, so I'll have to give you the long answer later, but a ragamuffin is a name for a person who has nothing.

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 11:51 AM   #62
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, I've read the comments and, advice unheeded is advice discarded [even Captain Stern's comments taken to heart]. Getting into who-did-what-to-whom-first ain't getting anyone of us anywhere, and ain't what the board is about. It's about Tolkien, and I'll keep that in mind. Ignore function enabled. A self-imposed "time out" up in the mountains is probably also a good idea. Fresh air, newly fallen snow, ice-enrobed waterfalls are all wonderfully rejuvenative to good will and general being a good guy.

As for dwarf beards and childbirth, the mental images are just really yukky.

Okay, so here's another angle: Aule created the seven Dwarf Lords, but they were put to sleep and distributed to "divers" locales to await the awakening of the Firstborn. ZO, "where the dwarf women at?" How did these Seven Dwarf fathers become fathers if no mention [as far as I can find so far {oooo, great qualification of inquiry}] is made of the creation of the dwarf women? Is this anywhere made more clear than the issue of where Cain's wife came from?

Again, thanks for the advice, no matter what stance one took.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 12:03 PM   #63
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: To AfroElf

Quote:
Originally posted by ragamuffin92
Gotta run, so I'll have to give you the long answer later, but a ragamuffin is a name for a person who has nothing.
My mom use to say that that was what we looked like after we had been outside playing all day. Doesn't it refer to a child that has nothing, especially in the way of clothes. They are rags. a very poor child perhaps orphaned?
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 12:09 PM   #64
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

EXACTLY, Sister Golden Hair.

Old 01-17-2002, 12:20 PM   #65
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

A had also thought that too, SisterGoldenHair and ragamuffin92, that a "raggamuffin" was a gutter-snipe without any possessions. [no offense, ragamuffin92 *wink!*].

Now try to define a "bropous"...... and it ain't a dwarf woman's beard! LOL!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:28 PM   #66
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Martinez
. . . provided a citation from an abandoned text, which was superseded by a text which deliberately omitted all reference to Dwarves being bearded from birth.
on the question of dwarves, not only are femaels rarely mentioned, but so also are any references to young children, or for that matter to any sort of family unit.(is there?)

also, if their beards are not associated with the changes of puberty and the advance into adulthood, i see no reason why facial hair could not be one of the characteristics of dwarven babies.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:52 PM   #67
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

To bropous

No offense taken, and, it's accurate, in a way. I got the name from my favorite Christian singer/songwriter of the past 10 years, the late Rich Mullins. He called his back-up musicians "a ragamuffin band," (lower case letters intentional), since EVERYONE is a ragamuffin in God's eyes. I know you are an atheist, so I'll leave it at that.

Old 01-17-2002, 12:55 PM   #68
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

To Vardasoroniel

Dwarves were supposedly so reclusive and secretive, they had a LOT of secrets.

Old 01-17-2002, 12:55 PM   #69
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Thanks for the Ragamuffin info.

As far as the meaning of bropous:

of ebonic derivation

1) a black porpoise

2) black purpose

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:25 PM   #70
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

LOL, afro-elf, a black sheep, maybe but not a black porpoise!
Old 01-17-2002, 06:47 PM   #71
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

anyone who's got a copy of the silmarillion can figure out what my name means

bropous isn't in the french dictionary. however, afro-elf, considering it IS a french name, the 's' is silent. so if we were to go along your train of thought it would be more like "black poo" and that's just silly (also doesn't sound too healthy) sorry black doody *tsk tsk*

sorry if i offend anyone who is anti-doody (does any country other then america even use that term?) or anyone with a brain that is all.
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 06:56 PM   #72
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I actually considered the Francophone version but I declinced.

I have traveled a lot and I think that the words, boo boo, ka ka, dookie, poo poo and do do seem to be a part of the human langauge genome.

Similarly, bum, bom bom, bomba etc seems to also be encoded the same way.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 08:59 PM   #73
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Okay, okay:

"bro" = shortened version of "brother"

"pous" = pronounced "poo" = it's a secret.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:49 PM   #74
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Vardasoroniel
on the question of dwarves, not only are femaels rarely mentioned, but so also are any references to young children, or for that matter to any sort of family unit.(is there?)
If there is one thing that is fairly well documented, it's the family history of the Kings of Durin's Folk for the last 1000 years of the Third Age.

Quote:
also, if their beards are not associated with the changes of puberty and the advance into adulthood, i see no reason why facial hair could not be one of the characteristics of dwarven babies.
Tolkien abandoned the idea.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote