Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-07-2002, 11:52 PM   #61
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Wayfarer, what chapter was that in??? That's really a great quote!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 05:36 PM   #62
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

That's from the field of Cormallen, I believe.

Beautiful, isn't it? Brought tears to my eyes, that one did (and you KNOW that's a feat)
Old 01-08-2002, 06:22 PM   #63
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

You may have been biting your tongue, or peeling onions.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:28 PM   #64
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Mmm... Onions.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:33 PM   #65
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Speaking of Onions... I'm hungry... maybe I'll have a pack of hamburger tonight.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:46 PM   #66
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I don't think anyone cares or gets the punchline if there is one, but what's a pack of hamburger? You mean hamburgers? If so, it's wiser to eat the burgers (rather than the pack), isn't it?
Old 01-08-2002, 08:58 PM   #67
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

No... I mean a package full of hamburger meat.

Take it, slice it up, remove the plastic and fry... and you have a good eight burgers.

A full pack of meat, a loaf of bread, a large onion, two tomatos, a couple dozen pickle slices, some lettuce, and some barbaue sauce...

that should be enough to tide me over until my next meal...
Old 01-08-2002, 09:09 PM   #68
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Sounds like a lot of work for a hamburger.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:21 PM   #69
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Not really...

Now... chicken fajitas... those take a bit of time.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:37 PM   #70
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

The sad part is that this guy ( I assume that he is a he) claims to be a PH.D in English. Well, I've a Masters in ESL and I make typos galore, but this guy is on the level of my students.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 11:44 PM   #71
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, Wayfarer, great minds think alike. Whilst you were thinking hamburger, I had ground meat out defrosting to make a pot of chili tonight. Perfect dinner on a cold Colorado Rockies evening! :-) Especially when washed down with ice-cold Foster's...

And I must take exception to the comment that chicken fajitas take a lot of time. [wink!] I can get those made pretty quick. Must be a difference in recipes...

As for the "PhD in English" by "Gollum", I think that is as realistic a claim by that bozo as the real Gollum's claim to himself that he was the "rightful owner" of the One Ring! I cannot believe that he earned said PhD anywhere except maybe by correspondence school...and then, someone else filled in the little circles on the tests for him! In crayon!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 09:02 PM   #72
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Hey! It's the real Gollum! He wasn't grilled (like a hamburger) after all! Think about it:
incoherent speech
egotistical love of self
remarkable ability to repulse fellow beings
delusions of grandeur
thinks he understands the Ring/Lord of the Rings
falls/is shot down into flame

bropous & wayfarer, one day when you least expect it the sons of the cows whom you killed and ate will come for you, and they will demand a heavy were-gild for their murdered kin and will hold you enslaved to work as thralls in their lands until the blood of their dead is avenged!!!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears

Last edited by FrodoFriend : 01-09-2002 at 09:04 PM.
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 02:06 PM   #73
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Ooooo, FrodoFriend, ya little sexist! Are you intimating the DAUGHTERS of the cows we have wronged are incapable of doing battle with us devourers of their pregenitors' flesh? That somehow females are incapable of battle when compared to their male counterparts? are you now on the side of those who say because Galadriel is a girl she can't kick Sauron's blackened hiney? Hmmm?? HMMMMM?????!!!!!!

[wink!] All in good fun, my dear Enting!

And, just as an aside, I've never killed ANY animal. Ever. Never ever. Nuh-uh, not no way, no how. I've just respectfully kept the sacrifice those bovines have made in reverence by putting to best use their remains.

"Now you will enjoy the legendary hospitality of the Dwarves! Malt beerrrrrr, rrrrroarrrring firrrrrres, rrrred meat off the bone!"

Yum yum, serve 'em up, Gimli!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:46 PM   #74
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Sauron's blackened hiney?
Hey! I resemble that remark!

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 06:15 PM   #75
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Bar B Que?

"'Precious, precious, precious!' Gollum cried. 'My Precious! O my Precious!' And with that, even as eyes were lifted up to gloat his prize, he stepped to far, toppled, wavered for a moment on the brink, and then with a shriek he fell. Out of the depths came his last wail Precious, and he was gone.
There was a roar and a great confusion of noise. Fires leaped up and licked the roof."

I thought this might spice up the discussion some.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 08:15 PM   #76
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

How's this for a little spice, from Harvard Lampoon's "Bored of the Rings" [paraphrased]:

The orc captain towered over the two Boggies, an evil glint in his eye, fingering his blade: "So. Which one of you has it?"

"Him! Him!" shouted Moxie, indicating his hapless companion.

"That's him, I'd know him anywhere," shouted Pepsi, "Three-foot-four, one hundred two pounds, larceny, trespassing, trafficking with Elves, consorting with a known Ringbearer..."
Old 01-10-2002, 08:31 PM   #77
Marille
Hobbit

Oh gosh there are so many .....

"Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end
of our fellowship in Middle-earth.
Go in peace!
I will not say: do not weep;for not all tears are an evil." - Gandalf

"I liked white better" - Gandalf

"I will take the Ring," he said, "though I do not know the way." - Frodo

"What are you going to do then?" asked Pippin', undaunted by the wizards's bristling brows. "Knock on the doors with your head, Pergrin Took!" said Gandalf. "But if that does not shatter them, and I'm allowed a little piece from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words."

"Come, Mr. Frodo" he cried. "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you as well as it. So up you get! Come on, Mr. Frodo dear! Sam will give you a ride. Just tell him wear to go and he'll go." - Sam

"The board is set and the pieces are moving" - Gandalf

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - Gimli

"I fancy, that even if we had entered in, we could have found few treasures in Orthanc more precious than the thing which Wormtongue threw down at us." A shrill shriek, suddenly cut off, came from a open window high above. "It seems Saruman thinks so too!"

I like pretty much anything Gandalf says the most out of all.

Amoung many, many, more!

Last edited by Marille : 01-10-2002 at 08:39 PM.
Marille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 09:50 PM   #78
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
Ooooo, FrodoFriend, ya little sexist! Are you intimating the DAUGHTERS of the cows we have wronged are incapable of doing battle with us devourers of their pregenitors' flesh? That somehow females are incapable of battle when compared to their male counterparts? are you now on the side of those who say because Galadriel is a girl she can't kick Sauron's blackened hiney? Hmmm?? HMMMMM?????!!!!!!

No, no, no, you don't understand at all! The daughters of the cows are of course directing their brothers (cow society being a matriarchy) to enslave you. Such an act could hardly be called a "battle", more of a general herding process actually, so the Most Mighty Daughters of the Ancient Cows lost in the Elder Days of the Burger Wars would never demean themselves by actually stooping to herding such hapless and misguided creatures as meat-eating men. They will merely keep you as slaves to tend their wide rolling fields of oats as far as the eye can see, AFTER the sons of cows herd you there. And Sauron will be right there with you!

LOL, enjoy your burger!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 02:05 AM   #79
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Touche, my dear FrodoFriend, touche!!!! Well-written!

[Bloody well need to learn how to do that accent mark...]
Old 01-11-2002, 09:33 AM   #80
andustar
Elven Warrior

I love this thread I'm just too lazy to type up quotes I love all the ones you chose though. "I liked white better." is one of my favourites... but there are too many!

the accent? on most keyboards it's [CTRL] +[ ' ] then the letter, eg "e"
the other way is [CTRL] + [`] then the letter (that's the one at the top left)
and the little triangle one is [SHIFT] +[CTRL] + [6] then the letter

hey, it's not working in this window! *opens Word* working fine there... strange... is it maybe a Word shortcut???? I can copy and paste it too...

oh well you can use the character map but it takes longer
andustar is offline   Reply With Quote