Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-05-2002, 11:30 PM   #61
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I just read the article - he could at least get the title of The Return of the King correct -

Quote:
The individual titles of the trilogy are "The Fellowship of the Ring," "The Two Towers," and "The Return of the Ring."
And with this I think he makes my point about whatever they dislike is evil and they blindly teach their bigotry...

Quote:
The world knows its own; and when the demonic world of fantasy role-playing and the morally filthy world of rock and roll love something, you can be sure it is not godly and it is not the truth.
And how dare he claim that Ilúvatar is fiction. Just because he hasn't seen him doesn't mean he doesn't exist. You can see his handy work all around.

Quote:
The heavy metal rock group Iluvatar named themselves after a fictional god from Tolkien’s work The Silmarillion.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-05-2002 at 11:35 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 09:18 AM   #62
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

different people have there own beliefs and this person needs to respect them. They have an idea of what their talking about but they obviusly don't know what is real and not real. So what if people believe in the ME relegion, thats their choice and you can't change it. Of course everyone has seperate opinions. Thats what makes America.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:18 PM   #63
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicirus
Of course everyone has seperate opinions. Thats what makes America.
Nergh. How US-ocentric. You mean: that's what makes humans unique, don't you?
Old 08-06-2002, 05:41 PM   #64
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Strider

No, in some countries, people don't have opinions. How BoPish, hating all Americans.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 05:44 PM   #65
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

Right! In some countries people can get killed for their opinions. Thats what makes the Us unique. course other countries are free of course. So in a way, yes i do mean the uniqueness of all human opinions.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:53 PM   #66
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Now Faramir, there's no need to resort to that. Now be a good boy and point out where I said that I hated Americans. And as for that silly point you made about suppressed people, they still have opinions you knob, they just can't express them. So there.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:05 PM   #67
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Now Faramir, there's no need to resort to that. Now be a good boy and point out where I said that I hated Americans. And as for that silly point you made about suppressed people, they still have opinions you knob, they just can't express them. So there.
Well in the US we're a little more free in being able to express our opinions. Such as KKK marches, Neo Nazis, Black Panthers, the burning of our flag. Whether it's popular or not - those groups have a right to express their opinions as much as any other American. I know that Germany does not allow a lot of expression and opinion in those things.

I am very patriotic - but I am completely against a Constitutional Amendment that protects the flag from desecration. Few countries allow as much freedom to express one's own opinion as America does.

And if an opinion can never be expressed openly then what good is it?

Oh - and this had better NOT become a "let's bash America" thread.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-06-2002 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:10 PM   #68
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Again: point out where I said, "lets bash America" and I'll stop arguing for a week. ( ) I merely pointed out that it is not just America that it entitled to their opinions - how do you think I got this opinionated in the first place?

Anyway, better get back on topic before the mods catch on.

Lord of the Rings is the work of the devil!
Old 08-06-2002, 08:29 PM   #69
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
Oh - and this had better NOT become a "let's bash America" thread.
Why not, American-bashers are entitled to their opinion aren't they?

Anyway, please stay on Topic.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 08:55 PM   #70
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy

Why not, American-bashers are entitled to their opinion aren't they?

Anyway, please stay on Topic.
Yeah - they do have a right to their opinion and a right to express it - but the topic has nothing to do with America. So many topics on entmoot end up as "American bashing" threads. It gets a little old after a while really. I know we're the evil empire, we don't do anything that OTHER countries want us to do, we're self centered, etc, etc. Name me any other country and I can show you how they have the same "faults".

Anyway - after careful consideration -and after buying LotR DVD - I have determined that LotR must be evil and controlled by the devil. Why else would I buy it the first day it came out when I didn't even think it was that great? I'm possessed - that's all there is to it.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-06-2002 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:19 AM   #71
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
hehe.lol

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 01:41 AM   #72
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Nope, never got a reply. I can only hope he atleast thought to offer up a little something for me.

"And now, please take a moment to pray for a young man who suffers greatly in spirit and reads the work of the devil"

Me - "Wow, I just got a tingle down my spine. Someone must have walked over my grave"

Tolken - "Ignore me folks, I'm just rolling over in here."

WHAT?! No one is going to nit pick my letter and find my spelling/grammar screwups? I feel so... so... HAPPY! *dances about the room*
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 04:27 AM   #73
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Well, i read this article and whole thread at last.

Quote:
The Fundamental Baptist Information Service is a listing for Fundamental Baptists and other fundamentalist, Bible-believing Christians.
i think that statement explains the article: he's not trying to make some sense he's just saying that LOTR is not the Bible (his Fundamental Baptists Bible) so it should be burned in a pire with his author.
Old 08-17-2002, 04:28 PM   #74
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Chistians...

I get so aggravated over people like him (the writer of the article) who give Christians a bad name! I must say that I am a Christian and the strongest, most christ-like people I know have nothing against Tolkien or his books! Many of them *like* Tolkien's work.

I can't stand it when self-righteous people who call themselves Christians run around accusing anything artistically expressed to be a message from satan of some sort.

Gtg worship Morgoth now...

Last edited by Sminty_Smeagol : 08-17-2002 at 04:32 PM.
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 09:16 PM   #75
Lady Legolas
Sapling

My uncle is kinda like that. It's kinda funny, because he is an avid Catholic and he hates Harry Potter, but yet he thinks Lord of the Rings is the best thing since sliced bread. (not that I can complain with him there) But It makes you wonder. Why? It's a freaking fiction book. And thats why whenever he comes over I conviently pick up a Harry Potter book.

¤Lady Legolas¤
Old 08-17-2002, 11:11 PM   #76
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Legolas
My uncle is kinda like that.he thinks Lord of the Rings is the best thing since sliced bread.
I'm kind of like your uncle. I'm Catholic and I've always loved the Lord of the Rings, it's a beautiful example of a work of art dedicated to God's glory. Harry Potter is fun to read, but is not that great, first because it's not as well written, and second because it holds up wizards and witches as heroes, which is definitely unChristian. I read the first one to my kids, but will let them grow up and read the rest themselves if they want.

(OK, Gandalf is a wizard and a hero, but doesn't use black magic, and is in the tradition of fairy tale wizards.)

Last edited by Entlover : 08-17-2002 at 11:12 PM.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 11:40 PM   #77
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Entlover
(OK, Gandalf is a wizard and a hero, but doesn't use black magic, and is in the tradition of fairy tale wizards.)
I'd quibble with that, but I really can't be bothered. Lets just say that Gandalf is more fey and terrible than Dumbledore.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:41 AM   #78
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider true

but you can still read something like Harry Potter or any other book like that and just not worship or believe in it.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:00 AM   #79
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Re: true

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicirus
but you can still read something like Harry Potter or any other book like that and just not worship or believe in it.
True enough, which is why I have no problem reading it. But kids are another matter - they are very impressionable -- how many of us remember significant books of our childhood? And HP is aimed at kids.
I met a witch once - nasty character. I don't think kids should be taught that there can be "good" witches.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 11:13 AM   #80
jerseydevil

Nazgul Re: Re: true

Quote:
Originally posted by Entlover

I met a witch once - nasty character. I don't think kids should be taught that there can be "good" witches.
Why not? Just because you met one that claimed to be a witch and weas nasty? What about if you met one Italian that was in the mafia - would it be acceptable not to teach kids that there are "good" italians?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide