Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-30-2002, 03:58 PM   #61
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Which? Spelling and grammar, or spaces?
None of them is of course of real importance. What's important is the thoughts behind the written words. But to someone who takes an interest in it, and is clever at such things, the 'form' of a sentence may enhance the expression of a thought, or just enhance the visual beauty of it.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:10 PM   #62
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Treebeard's apprentice
No, you didn't offend me. Perhaps my phraseology was solecistic (I love the Thesaurus). I actually intended to say something more like what you just said. I don't look down on people, but it does irritate me when friends use words incorrectly. Of course, it probably bugs them even more when I correct them.
Good, I'm glad we're ok

BTW, since I know you have "Letters of JRR Tolkien", have you come to the letter where he discusses "silver" vs. "argent"? Really a nice discussion about the nuances of words that have similar meanings.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 08:12 PM   #63
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*sees Artanis' post, now tries to remember the letter that discusses how JRRT is strongly affected by the visual part of words/sentences*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-31-2002, 12:23 AM   #64
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

No, I don't believe I've read that one yet. As of right now (10/30/02 10:23 PM) I am on #132, just after the 10,000 word (!) letter to Milton Waldman. Now you've gotten me curious, though.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 12:38 AM   #65
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasty Ent
My biggest peeve is when people say "I could care less" when they mean "I COULD NOT care less."
I see your point - but I think the standard is "I could care less". That is the way I have always heard it. I was going to argue with you - but after looking at it logically - I see the point. I will however probably continue to say "I could care less".

Quote:

As for myself, I'm always looking up the difference between affect and effect.
Affect - the result
Effect - that which causes the result

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 01:55 AM   #66
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

What bothers me most is when people say 'Could you borrow me a dollar?' (mentioned in one of my previous posts). A close second would be when someone says 'Me and Joe are going to the store.'

It's Joe and I! Joe and I! Joe and I! Joe and I! JOE AND I! JOE AND I! JOEANDI! JOEANDIJOEANDIJOEANDIJOEANDIJOEANDIJOEMUSTDIE!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!

*looks around dazedly, panting heavily*

I'm gonna go to sleep now. G'night!

Last edited by Treebeard's apprentice : 10-31-2002 at 01:56 AM.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 03:13 AM   #67
Rían

Yes, my best friend always makes that mistake, and she KNOWS she makes it, and she CAN'T STOP herself before it's too late! (she always looks at me funny, like "oh, shoot!") But she knows I love her anyway!! BTW, she always says it the other way around - "Ron and me went to the store", not "me and Ron", which is at least a little more correct.

Hey, you know what I think is even WORSE? When you use "me" correctly, because it's a direct object, not a subject, and people look at you funny!

ex - Would you like to play tennis with Joe and me?

I just usually give in and say "Joe and I". *silly pride *

And one thing I do on Entmoot, while "talking", is start sentences with "And", which I would never do in an essay. Again, I think it's just a little more like friends chatting. I hope it doesn't bug you all to death!

Old 10-31-2002, 11:10 AM   #68
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Grey_Wolf
I've noticed sometimes that commas are rarely used in English books.

The man, who had a green jacket and a red shirt with blue spots and orange stripes and black trousers on and had a dog on a leash and was walking in the park during a summer evening with his wife and children.
COMMANISTS OF THE WORLD - UNITE
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 11:23 AM   #69
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey_Wolf
COMMANISTS OF THE WORLD - UNITE
You know, no one is more comma happy than I am, but in the example you use, there are a ton of "ands", and is a word that is used to take the place of a comma. If you use a sentence listing something then a comma would appear after each list word until the very end of the list where and would be used between the next to the last and the last word which ends the list. Example: Joe went to the store. He bought milk, bread, coffee and tea.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 11:39 AM   #70
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
You know, no one is more comma happy than I am, but in the example you use, there are a ton of "ands", and is a word that is used to take the place of a comma. If you use a sentence listing something then a comma would appear after each list word until the very end of the list where and would be used between the next to the last and the last word which ends the list. Example: Joe went to the store. He bought milk, bread, coffee and tea.
I know. It was really meant as a kind of joke sentence.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 05:50 PM   #71
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Originally posted by R*an

Hey, you know what I think is even WORSE? When you use "me" correctly, because it's a direct object, not a subject, and people look at you funny!

ex - Would you like to play tennis with Joe and me?

I just usually give in and say "Joe and I". *silly pride *

We're doing this rightn now in English III. Objective case, nominative case. It's easy though, because you shouldn't say "Would you like to play tennis with Joe and I", because you wouldn't say "Would you like to play tennis with I."
Old 10-31-2002, 06:29 PM   #72
Rían

I know, it's really very easy, but I still get funny looks from people who have had "JOE AND I!" pounded into them w/o someone explaining that WHERE IT IS in the sentence determines if it's correct or not.

Old 11-01-2002, 09:56 PM   #73
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

This is SO unfair! Since I was the one that caused the whole thing in the other thread to start (and no, I do not ceer that you opend this one, thus pointing your finger at me, everyone knows that I am a bad speller already, go ahead and add my name to the first topic post thing, I don't ceer), I just want to say Sorry.

Sorry that my first and sencond grade teachers didn't teach me to spell correctly. Sorry that at the private school that I went to ABC's, spelling, and reading, were not tought utill 1st grade. Sorry that at private schools you can not get free tuders. Sorry that my 3rd grade teacher did not reqest a spelling tuder for me. Sorry that she yelled and did not help. Sorry that my 4th grade teacher's ideas did not help. Sorry that my fith grade teacher just gave me a whole bunch of boring "improve your spelling" workshets that just made me mad and ceer less about spelling. Sorry that in middle school there are no spelling tests. Sorry that I tried every possable way, and it did not help. Sory.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 10:52 PM   #74
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I'm using this thread to talk about the joy of writing Samwislvr! (how do you pronounce that?) Not ridicule others. I don't care for deliberate mistakes out of laziness, but any other attempt to communicate is cool. I can work with it! I see writing as an opportunity for creative expression, and use the tools of grammer, spelling, punctuation, word selection, etc, to create my "canvas". We all know that some might have a natural knack, while others might have a little more trouble, just like art, or music. I'm sure nobody is singling (I just had to look that up!) you out. I always thought you had dsylexia or something, like Sween (I had to look that up too! ). I'll confess right now to cheating on spelling tests. I remember when Mrs. Bassnight caught me in second grade, humiliating! But I continued. Now I use a dictionary. Your posts are much better! Do NOT take this thread personally! I really don't think you can teach spelling, I might be wrong, but it appears to be a memory thing. Though I have no problems with reversals, or dslylexia, my daughter has many problems like this. It was a real eye-opener for me the year I home schooled her. All I can say is the brain is very complicated, and it doesn't work the same way in all of us! I think your posts are doing quite well now!

Last edited by Lizra : 11-01-2002 at 11:24 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 10:59 PM   #75
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Well Lizra, you have an interesting way of er........

Seeing things?

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:19 PM   #76
Rían

Geez, samwiselvr2008, I'm sorry that you've had such a bad time with spelling in school English spelling is SO hard - my husband lived in Ecuador when he was little - they don't even have spelling classes there, because they don't need to! Everything makes sense, because it's totally by sound! But English is such a mix of other languages, it's not by sound at all (or to be more exact, it is by sound rules from many different languages, but you may not know which language a word comes from!!)

I'm a very visual person, so spelling comes easily to me (if I'm not sure how a word is spelled, I'll write it out and see if it "looks" right). But I hope you've seen my posts (and other people's, too)where we say that content of a post is important, not the spelling! I like your posts, and please don't stop.

BTW, when I say in this thread that "something really bugs me", it is NOT AT ALL the PERSON that I am bugged at, it just happens to "catch my eye" (like an out-of-tune note would "catch the ear" of a musical person) and bug me. So what if you can't spell well! Do your best to improve, but don't feel bad about it! I would rather be with a kind and intelligent person who is a bad speller, than some self-righteous, insensitive git who thinks their mission in life is to correct people's spelling and can't even see that they are rude and arrogant, which is MUCH worse than being a bad speller. (that last sentence is NOT aimed at anyone on this thread - please don't think I mean you guys).

BTW, I've been assuming that your name means "Samwise Lover" - is that right? (I don't know what the 2008 means, though )

Old 11-01-2002, 11:23 PM   #77
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

"Samwise lover"? OHHHHH!

Got the kids in bed Rian! Yea! It's so nice!

Last edited by Lizra : 11-01-2002 at 11:26 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:35 PM   #78
Rían

HeeHee! you SO understand, Lizra!

Actually, they're watching a video - it's only 7:30 here. ("OK, kids, put on another one!") What the heck - it's Friday night!

Old 11-01-2002, 11:45 PM   #79
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Wow! It's ten till eleven here! I think I'll go double-dose the cough syrup and see if I can have some fun.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:47 PM   #80
Rían

I prefer Nyquil, myself