Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2002, 07:57 PM   #1
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Name another cause then, ]: )
Religion. (Oh that's not power at all. )
Propaganda. (heh. No.... that's not for power....)

Sheesh.

Oh, and how about history? That's a good cause for war. Revenge. Hatred. Pride. Tsk.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 05-28-2002 at 07:59 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 03:35 AM   #2
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

How about football (soccer to Americans)?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 09:17 AM   #3
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

Religion. (Oh that's not power at all. )
Propaganda. (heh. No.... that's not for power....)

Sheesh.

Oh, and how about history? That's a good cause for war. Revenge. Hatred. Pride. Tsk.
Revenge.... for a previous war...

Hatred... Serbs and Croats hate each other because of a war 600 years ago.

Pride... political pride, maybe (Grenada) but goes back to power.

Wars also cause more wars.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 10:02 AM   #4
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

whoa we've veered a tad off track

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 11:28 AM   #5
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Maybe we could genetically engineer a virus that would force people to post on topic by growing a particular structure in their brain that would be susceptible to a particular sound.. like say 60 cycle aplha noise?

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 12:02 PM   #6
Cirdan

The neural interface could be used to provide biofeedback for posting on topic and the quality of the post using the pain and pleasure center. OUCH!
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-29-2002, 02:10 PM   #7
azalea
Long lost mooter

War is also about fear. Many wars in the past were fought because people feared those with different political systems, belief systems, etc. Fear of these things has caused many to die for the causes of others. That's why propaganda is used, because (steering slightly back on topic) people would not willingly submit to pain and death unless they felt they were fighting for a worthy cause.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 02:50 PM   #8
Cirdan

Yes, fear is a nifty cattle prod of the powerful. I remember when we were all sure the Soviets wanted to kill us all.... or not.

"Yes, surprise is the chief weapon of the Spanish Inquisition... fear and surprise... no wait that's wrong..."

"Yes, the two chief weapons of the Spanish Inquisition are fear and surprise... fear, surprise, and and complete devotion to the pope... no wait start again..."

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-29-2002, 02:57 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Better fit you with the neural interface then. Don't worry this won't hurt a bit.

Ooh, hot potato! hot potato!

Damned morality. Look how it holds us back! (sorta back on topic...)
Old 05-29-2002, 04:44 PM   #10
Blackheart
Elf Lord

SO, now that you've discussed war and biotech.. genetic manipulation in the same topic, are you sure you want genetic engineering to be unregulated?

I can think of all sorts of nasty things to do, and I'm sure so can anyone else.

The problem is the same with any other tool. You can pass a law to stop people from using a hammer to hit people in the head, but eventually some idiot is going to do just that.

The current problem with "biotech" at this stage, we aren't really sure where all the pointy edges are yet.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 05-29-2002, 06:16 PM   #11
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart
SO, now that you've discussed war and biotech.. genetic manipulation in the same topic, are you sure you want genetic engineering to be unregulated?

I can think of all sorts of nasty things to do, and I'm sure so can anyone else.

The problem is the same with any other tool. You can pass a law to stop people from using a hammer to hit people in the head, but eventually some idiot is going to do just that.

The current problem with "biotech" at this stage, we aren't really sure where all the pointy edges are yet.
Can we make some orcs?

Someone should make sure it is a hammer and not a thermonuclear device type of thing. Not taht "Nature" won't come up with something else pretty nasty on it's own.

Genetically engineered foods are interesting. How do they effect the entire food chain? Is it any worse than what we do with fertilizers and pesticides? Will increased food production solve hunger, or will it just create a larger, more unstable population?

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-29-2002, 06:23 PM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
Genetically engineered foods are interesting. Will increased food production solve hunger, or will it just create a larger, more unstable population?
This is the one thing that can probably backlash in a really awful fashion. Already, albeit accidentally, a couple of things have been released into the eco-system, and screwed up the ecology. However, given past mass-extinctions, is this just another way of natural selection acting upon the organism? Could this be the next thing that is going to project hominids out of their current so-called stasis? Ooh... Me likes "what if" questions... Shiny, Shiny...

As for solving world hunger. Yeah whatever. See that third world country. It's in debt. Lets LOAN them the money and charge interest. Hah. Humans are no better at taking care of themselves, let alone the less fortunate. Screw feeding 'em, lets just wage an unfair, petty war on 'em. Sweep 'em under a carpet. Or better yet, let's carpet bomb them! Yeah! With Nukes! And Guns! And Bombs! And... And... I WANNA BE NAPOLEAN!
Old 05-29-2002, 08:17 PM   #13
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

This is the one thing that can probably backlash in a really awful fashion. Already, albeit accidentally, a couple of things have been released into the eco-system, and screwed up the ecology. However, given past mass-extinctions, is this just another way of natural selection acting upon the organism? Could this be the next thing that is going to project hominids out of their current so-called stasis? Ooh... Me likes "what if" questions... Shiny, Shiny...

As for solving world hunger. Yeah whatever. See that third world country. It's in debt. Lets LOAN them the money and charge interest. Hah. Humans are no better at taking care of themselves, let alone the less fortunate. Screw feeding 'em, lets just wage an unfair, petty war on 'em. Sweep 'em under a carpet. Or better yet, let's carpet bomb them! Yeah! With Nukes! And Guns! And Bombs! And... And... I WANNA BE NAPOLEAN!
I vaguely remember, but clarify please about the "accidental release".

homid stasis - I thought we moved evolution into the realm of intellect

I would like a new pair of genes? Could they be acid washed?

I forgot we already could feed everyone but they can't afford it.

Nappy? He was a bundle of fun. Just a little over eager. What's the big attraction to Russia? I've been there. It's like the Mid-West US only browner and colder.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-30-2002, 12:08 AM   #14
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Build Orcs? Pfft. Good Luck. The Dark Lord's got you beat on genetically modified organisms at this point.

But frankly, the main thing that scares me is the ability for the mistakes to replicate themsleves.

It's one thing to make a mistake.

It's somehting of a different magnitude when the mistakes begin to make more mistakes.

Anything else we can eventually clean up. Radiation, chemicals etc.

But Gene tech, and by extension self replicating nanotech has the potential to outstrip our ability to adapt.

Old 05-30-2002, 01:10 AM   #15
Cirdan

Oh yes! Nanotech! This is a smorgasbord thread...

Did we finish GE foods? Oh, well..

What if people like this manage technology like that?

Let's face it. Billions of mistakes are replicating all over the world and walking on two feet. Why not let it get really interesting?

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-30-2002, 11:13 AM   #16
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Human "mistakes" take years to replicate.

By geometric progession, a single nanobot or genetic enegeneered organism could cover the globe very quickly.

And I mean in a layer several feet deep.

Old 05-31-2002, 09:28 PM   #17
azalea
Long lost mooter

YEAH! *sneers*
And BTW, how about use of birth control as one way to help third world countries?

Would condoms be considered biotechnology?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 05:30 AM   #18
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Would condoms be considered biotechnology?
Technically, not unless you modified bacteria to produce the polymers to make them.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 10:36 AM   #19
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Like any revolutionary new concept or technology, the possibilities are staggering, both for good and evil. Personally, I believe the problem is not the new technologies per se, but those that control their applications. Science has reached a high level of efficiency and maturity, but, in many ways, humanity itself remains quite immature; as Carl Sagan has repeatedly pointed out, superstition and irrationality are still quite present in the lives of most of us. Just look to the people in power or to what our society values most.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 02:07 PM   #20
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Pffft.

You've forgotten the golden rule:

He who has the Gold makes the rules!