Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-29-2002, 11:42 PM   #61
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Sam just asked a FEW questions about what we thought about the Bible and Tolkien...and she gets jumped on with all this sarcastic, serious descussion junk...why cant we just have FUN once in awhile with stuff like this instead of go "Ohp bible descussion...better get on to it."
Ahm*smooths hair*
1. what charicter reminds you of someone out of lotr?Peter=Sam. I mean those too are so alike it's not even funny. Peter loves to taste his feet and so does Sam*looks down at her muchly sucked toes*looks like THEY'RE not the only ones.
2. what thing that is said in lotr reminds you of something that is said in the Bible? Cant think of one right this moment
ex. Gandalf says, "get down on your bally and crawl!
3. what things that happen remind you of things that happen in the Bible? Ummm Gandalf giving up his life for the fellowship, the fellowship being formed against Sauron and the Ring, The Ring representing a burden(like the cross and sin), and the Ringbearers(or Crossbearers as I like to think of it)getting to be able to pass into the western lands
4. Are there any morals represented here and in the Bible?
i don't know, posably there are some!Ummm humility,servanthood,obedience,love,patience,kidne ss,selfsacrafice,courage,evil,absolutes.
5. Any thing else that is simular to the Bible??? Umm the fact that the Bibe story is based on the theme of Good vs evil, and that an innocent person leaves his home of comfort and leaves to save a world that has no idea his RACE exsists let alone that HE exsists.
A truely awsome reality of the Bible story.
Thanks for bringin' this up Chica,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 12:27 AM   #62
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

It can only be parelleled with the Bible if you believe it so. Really, you can parellel anything with anything if it's even just slightly similar. "Oh look - there's a good guy. He's just like Jesus!"
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 04:43 PM   #63
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
But Rana LOTR isn't JUST slightly similar to the Bible. It is very much similar to the Bible.
*crosses fingers and hopes people will start getting back on topic*
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:11 PM   #64
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Any good guy on a quest can be made similar to the Bible, as I've said. Any vanguishing of evil seems to be associated with it, and I think it's about high time people just took things for what they were and not what they should be.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:20 PM   #65
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I.Q Test, question No.10

Bible=LOTR=WW2.

So does the bible=WW2?
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:23 PM   #66
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Since there's so many bloodshedding wars in the Bible as well - I'd say yeah. Since when was there an evil One Ring to control everyone in the Bible? There isn't. Just as there's no guns and heavy artillery in it was well. But still there is the same message of good fighting against evil - so what's your difference?

Just think about it. Who's the main good guy set on getting rid of Hilter in WW2? There's your "Jesus" figure. The Germans? Ironically, there's your Jews (Romans as well).

If you look hard enough, almost anything can be parelleled - it's just gotta have your main, or even small, similarities surfaced and compared.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 07-31-2002 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:37 PM   #67
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Since Middle-earth is supposed to be today's world, just a long, long time ago, of course Tolkien's beliefs about the nature of the universe and God today would apply to Middle-earth as well. So Eru is the Christian God, and the Ainur are angels (but not the winged seraphim sort). Tolkien doesn't say this blatantly, but I'm sure that's what he intended.

You could make other connections - lembas is communion, Gandalf died like Jesus, etc etc - but who knows if Tolkien intended these things. If he did, they surely weren't supposed to be the main focus. And after all, lots of stories have common themes, characters, and plots. I once had a conversation with a friend about the significant similarities between "Macbeth" and "The Lion King"!

But it is fun to make connections, so, forgetting that Tolkien is rolling in his grave, muttering "Applicability, not allegory!", I'll go away and stop being such a bore.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 01:16 AM   #68
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel
But it is fun to make connections, so, forgetting that Tolkien is rolling in his grave, muttering "Applicability, not allegory!", I'll go away and stop being such a bore.
Agreed, it is. There aren't very many good threads anymore, so at least give me some fun ones to reply to. I'm not saying stop with it - I'm just saying admit that it's you who sees the similarities through simple compare and contrast methods, and not that it's "meant" to be that way.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:07 AM   #69
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
But if
Quote:
The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision. That is why I have not put in, or have cut out, practically all references to anything like 'religion,' to cults or practices, in the imaginary world. For the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism."
then it was 'meant' to be that way.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:39 AM   #70
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Oh, bugger. Never tell a person who believes in fate that something isn't "meant" to be.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:59 AM   #71
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Mwahaha! When insomniac Christians attack!
Old 08-07-2002, 10:51 AM   #72
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

okay, so it is ME that sees the conections, but other people do allso!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:56 AM   #73
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Tolkien a liar?

JRR Tolkien vigorously insisted that Lord of the Rings was not an allegory. Sorry my good fellow, but the more I read LoTR, the more I keep thinking that you've not been honest with us readers. What do you think, was Tolkien a liar?

Fear Complacency!
Old 09-10-2002, 02:18 PM   #74
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

This has been done lots of times before, read this thread.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:26 PM   #75
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Liviaine
I think Tolkien's work is influenced by the Bible. Sauron, Morgoth, and the Balrogs are all like Satan, some of the greatest of the Maiar who became evil. Satan was supposedly the most beautiful angel of all but became evil. Gandalf's kind of like the hobbits' guardian angel. I think Tolkien used symbols to represent the Bible.
Quote:
Snowdog:
Certainly the man's religion is reflected in his works. And in reading the Silmarillion, that really starts off paralleling Genesis.
Like any good myth, there are the good guys, the bad guys, a journey or two, and a quest of sorts. Plus some soul searching, and character development.

You could take ANY myth, and say that it has tones similar to the bible. Tolkien's middle earth is supposed to be a kind of mythology/history for England. Sure it has parallels to the bible, but then, the Bible is not entirely original either; there are many such "genesis" stories that mirror and PRE-DATE the Bible. Hymns to Ra and Aten respectively sound suspiciously like the Lords Prayer... and yet were written thousands of years earlier. My rather rambling point? There are common themes in mythology; these are reflected both in Tolkien and the Bible. This does not, however, infer that Lord of the Rings is a reflection of the Bible.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:00 PM   #76
osszie
Elven Warrior

ye gods........look at the similarity........the ring = the temptation of the devil.............all the power you desire..but the cost is your soul
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:01 PM   #77
Luthien Tinuviel
Hobbit

Well, I don't think LOTR is really a spin off the Bible, per se... I believe he was influenced by the Bible, yes, but I don't believe he sat down and said, "well, hey, lets deliberately make Gandalf and Aragorn represent Christ", and we'll make the Istari be angels, etc... I think it all happened becuz Tolkien had a certain worldview, and it came out in his writings... So is it a coicindence that Gandalf and Aragorn resemble Christ, and that the Istari are the otherworldly (not quite the word I'm looking for) messengers who are the servants of Illuvatar? No, I don't think so.
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of starts was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering

There Beren came from mountains cold,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled.
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves or years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon.
And on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.
Luthien Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:04 PM   #78
Luthien Tinuviel
Hobbit

Re: Tolkien a liar?

Quote:
Originally posted by barrelrider110
JRR Tolkien vigorously insisted that Lord of the Rings was not an allegory. Sorry my good fellow, but the more I read LoTR, the more I keep thinking that you've not been honest with us readers. What do you think, was Tolkien a liar?
Yes, he lied straight to our faces. No, like I said in the post right above, (sorry, posting twice in a row, I know, I'm bad) he didn't "make" LOTR an allegory, and I know he said it wasn't, but when you do have a certain outlook on life, it WILL permeate almost everything you do, and writing is certainly one of those things.
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of starts was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering

There Beren came from mountains cold,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled.
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves or years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon.
And on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.
Luthien Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:41 PM   #79
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

How dose Aragorn resemble Christ?

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 05:40 PM   #80
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Things tend to become more similar the more you remove the details. It is very convenient to say Gandalf was like Christ because he died and came back. Beren and Luthien came back, there are more than one Istari and none is ever designated as the offspring of Eru. The is a tendency by the religious to see god everywhere by just allowing the eyes to blur a bit. Why can't a story just be a good story?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote