Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-17-2001, 11:57 AM   #61
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Guys, I never claimed anything about not being wiser ten years from now or anything liek that. I mentioned twice in fact that I understand I have lots of growing up and learning to do. Anduin did the exact thing I just commented on not liking. Young does not necessary mean 'inexperienced in the ways of life and love.' (I think that's about what she said) And I think Silva was right. And the since the web is such an annonymous place, what better envrionment to get sympathy for things like this? And whoever said I must have problems with my life if this is the first place I came to...well, sorry if that's how you see things. That's not how it was at all. THis was actually the last place I came to. So =P. Hee.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:05 PM   #62
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

My, my, have I missed a lively discussion.

I think that it might be helpful to define some terminology here.

1. Intelligence is the ability to reason and learn. If anything, it is actually higher at a young age than later than life. Compare a young child learning a second language to an adult attempting to do so.

2. Experience is the sum total of events that have had an effect on an individual. By definition, an older person has more experience than a younger.

3. Maturity/Wisdom is the ability to make and act upon judgements based upon intelligence and/or experience. This is the tricky attribute. If he uses it properly, the older person has an inherent advantage here, by virtue of greater experience. Sadly, however, this is not always the case. As an example, take former President Clinton. He was possibly the most intelligent President ever. He certainly posessed a great deal of experience. Yet, he consistently made unwise judgements.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 01:03 AM   #63
anduin
Entwife

Quote:
Anduin did the exact thing I just commented on not liking. Young does not necessary mean 'inexperienced in the ways of life and love.'
You may not like it, but it is pretty much the truth. You are most certainly less experienced in the ways of life and love than someone twice your age. You may not think so now, but when you are older you will see that more clearly.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 10:44 AM   #64
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

actually, children can learn languages better because at such young ages, their speech and communications centers in their brains havne't finished developing. So, they can learn new sounds and learn accents and such, but i don't think that it means that they could be taught to discern the imparfait from the conditional tenses.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:08 PM   #65
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Anduin
That's certainly true...In a general sense. But you can't use that for every single child. That's called 'stereostyping' as I'm sure you know. I completely understand that I have learning and growing to do. I believe this is this 3rd time I've stated that. I know have lots of room to grow in the ways of love, but not necessarily in life. I've been through a lot more than most people my age.

And Bacchus ,
Btw, as a completely random thought...Bacchus, where did your name come from?

Anyway, you can't really say that someone has more experience just because they're older. They may have more oppurtunity to experience because they have existed longer, but that doesn't mean the oppurtunity arrose or was taken. (They also have more time to learn to spell...which I obviously haven't )
Old 12-18-2001, 11:16 PM   #66
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

OK, look at it like this. If the laws are the same in Indiana as they are here, you can get your Drivers L at sixteen. Would you say that you were a more experienced driver then one that has been behind the wheel for twenty years? This is just a simple example.

There are certian things that we all have or will have gone through at one time or another. Love, hate, friendship, losing a friendship, birth, death, and so on. Some how, sometime everyone will face these things. When you get older though, it sems as though you are more likely to face them in abundance.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 11:22 PM   #67
anduin
Entwife

Maybe we are confusing wisdom and experience. Someone young could certainly have more wisdom than someone older than them....I'll concede that point. But to say that someone younger has more experience is just not possible. Perhaps in someways yes, whether they have good experiences or bad. But in general terms older people have had more experiences because they have lived longer. And have had the oppportunity to learn from past mistakes....perhaps mistakes that younger people haven't even had the opportunity to experience yet or could possibly even conceive.

As for Bacchus I will guess that he got it from the crewe Bacchus.

Now I must go to watch The Movies of my dreams!
Old 12-20-2001, 04:48 AM   #68
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Numero uno, my handle. Bacchus is the Roman god of wine and revelry.(Anduin--the crewe Bacchus is named after him)My freshman year in college, I chose to interpret that as being the god of drunkenness, (although that is not technically correct-Bacchus is more of a harvest god), and have gone with that nick ever since. (BTW, I must sadly report that, once I finally reached legal drinking age, and also achieved the financial means to drink with impunity, I seem to have lost the burinig desire to do so. I still feel vaguely cheated over this.)

Numero two-o, to fireworks19:

Ok then, you claim to be "experienced" at life and love. May I then ask you a few questions? Have you ever taken your significant other to the hospital because you have reason to believe that he/she has taken an entire bottle of pills? Have you ever had to meet the parents of that person for the first time in the emergency room? Have you ever loved someone so much to nurse them through a suicidal depression, despite interference from the family? Have you ever had to deal with a pregnancy out of wedlock? Have you ever had to counsel a relative in matters of abortion? Have you ever dealt with broken marital vows? These are just a few of the matters to which I refer when I speak of experience. I have personally dealt with all of them, and these really are lightweight matters. If you want to get really intense, lets talk about sudden death of relatives, or even worse, lingering death of relatives. I've been there. Have I learned from these events? I certainly hope so. I'd like to know that the pain had some purpose. Your definition of experience seems to be my definition of wisdom. Anyone can be exposed to adversity (or prosperity, for that matter). Learning from it is another matter entirely. I sincerely hope that you can avoid some of the experiences that I have had.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.

Last edited by Bacchus : 12-20-2001 at 04:54 AM.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 09:18 AM   #69
anduin
Entwife

Aww I knew that, but I was zeroing in. :b

Hehe, seem like you gained some experience AND some wisdom.
Old 12-20-2001, 05:52 PM   #70
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Actually, I have taken my loved one to the ER before. He could have died. I've gone through my parents divorcing because my dad is a raging drunk...that was fun...not. Then my mom remarried to the biggest *bleep* in the world. I've learned and am learning from these things and all the other c-r-a-p that's been thrown at me. Sudden death of realtives is a check...4 of em. But lets not get into my life story.
Anyway, thanks for the good wishes. I give them to you, too. But all those things are bad things, and its not just the bad things that give a person experience. I haven't been through a couple of those, and I've been through some you didn't mention. My experiences and the experience/wisdom/whatever you wanna call it will be different.

SGH...um. No I wouldn't. You can't really use that arguement because obviously, one wouldn't be as experienced in driving if one has only been doing it for a few months compared to a few years. But life is different from driving.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:50 PM   #71
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Did I not say that it was just a simple example? Did you read on? The point being that you can not be as experienced in life at 16, as you will be at 18, 25, 35....all for the simple fact that you live on and as you live on more things happen to you. You experience more.
Old 12-20-2001, 11:46 PM   #72
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I agree that you will exp life diff as you get older.

but I also feel that alot of the time adults dont reallise how much we DO undersand (dont look a dog in the eye, dotn eat to much candy, yadayadayada) lol

but no, sereously, I feel like people dont give me any credit for the stuff that I do know.

and it may be just me but it seems like you adults (the few the proud the adults) are always ready to jump on us kids and say "Oh you don't know what your talking about" or "You just dont understand what that is realy like"

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm just trashing adults (really its not just adults its a lot of diff people, even my sisters to some digree)

well nuff said
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 11:56 PM   #73
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, ya know what guys? Believe it or not, even we adults were kids once
Old 12-21-2001, 09:44 AM   #74
anduin
Entwife

Hmmm, and that could mean that we have BOTH perspectives.

Now all we need is a 50 year old to jump into this converstion. I would like to ask them what I have yet to learn because, I know now after being a child, preteen, teenager, 20 something, 30 something, that I have yet a lot more to learn and experience.

We are not saying that you do not understand things or that you are not smart, we are saying that if you think that you think that you have it all figured out or even think that you have it partly figured out, you are mistaken. Someday, when you are adults in you thirties or whatever, you will remember this thread and say to yourself....oh, that is what they were talking about. I have said that to myself, Sister has said it to herself.

I just thought of something. Sister and I are both adamant in our views in the same way that you all are adamant in yours. I would not be surprised if someone twice our age came along and told us that what we will learn when we are 50/60 years old is that the youth were right all along, and that you don't realize it until you are much older.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:56 AM   #75
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Yes I am well aware that you were kids once
But you still just dont seem to understand why we do the things that we do sometimes (eventhough you did them as a kid yourself).

and whyle I do agree with Anduin to some digree There is one thing that she said that I dissagree with

__________________________________________________ _

or even think that you have it partly figured out,
__________________________________________________ __

I think that we at least partly have some of it figured out by now.

Ok and also, I'm not trying to get on anyones bad side here (to late ) so dont get me wrong and think that I dislike any of you because I don't dislike you.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:22 AM   #76
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tesseract12
Yes I am well aware that you were kids once
But you still just dont seem to understand why we do the things that we do sometimes
I remember saying those very words to my mom about 30 years ago.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:31 AM   #77
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

wow. that was sort of a long time ago.

what did she say?
Old 12-21-2001, 11:38 AM   #78
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yes, that was a long time ago Tess. She said: "yeah I know. Some day you will see that I understood more than you thought I did. And when you have your own children, they will say the same to you." She was right.
Old 12-21-2001, 06:53 PM   #79
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

(I'm joking here so dont get offended) : pretends no to beleve it:

oh ya?! well you only THINK you understand as much as we do!
plus us kids are SO much more mature than you know :sticks tung out at Anduin and SGH:

lol sorry, I just cant help it some times.

I dont know, but it does seem to make me feel more (I dont know...better?) to think "they cant posubly understand how I feel and why I do the things I do" lol yes I know, I'm a freek

(normal people are wered)

Old 12-22-2001, 12:26 AM   #80
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tesseract12
(I'm joking here so dont get offended) : pretends no to beleve it:

oh ya?! well you only THINK you understand as much as we do!
plus us kids are SO much more mature than you know :sticks tung out at Anduin and SGH:

lol sorry, I just cant help it some times.

I dont know, but it does seem to make me feel more (I dont know...better?) to think "they cant posubly understand how I feel and why I do the things I do" lol yes I know, I'm a freek

(normal people are wered)

Tess, it is your right to believe anything you wish.