Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-07-2002, 03:04 PM   #61
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

I read it so I would look more grown up.
Crap reason I know but now I recomend it to everyone.
luv
Play Girl
xxx

ps I didn't succeed

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 03:11 PM   #62
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

LOL, Play Girl.

I read it because it came to me in a package with my name on it from my godmother at Christmas. Granted, they gathered dust for several years, but I did read them all in the Summer before grade 8.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 06:13 PM   #63
Nilvasaien
Hobbit

Gandalf

I read "The Hobbit" when I was nine, and really enjoyed it. My cousin gave me "Fellowship" and I started reading it, but I was so upset when Gandalf was lost in Moria I refused to finish to book.

However, around age 11, I decided to give the story another chance, this time hanging on to the end (happily forgiving Professor T. during Gandalf's reappearance in "Two Towers")

I would reread "Lord of the Rings" every 2-3 years, but have read through 3 times in the past year (including "The Hobbit").

I also recently completed "The Silmarillion" (yea!), which I started but abandoned many years ago.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:34 PM   #64
Telperion
Enting

I was lucky (or at least i think so) I discovered LOTR very young. My mom read The Hobbit to me in Kindergarten and grade one and so, in grade 2, I read it myslef. After reading The Hobbit, I was hooked. I read The Fellowship of the Rings in the beginning of grade three. i had to get a note from my mother saying that sahe knew i was taking LOTR out of the library. After reading FOTR, i couldn't stop. i think I've read the whole trilogy 16 times so far. i try to read about twice a year.

Aim for the stars, if you miss, you'll at least land on the moon!

He who is made of air should not accuse the wind.

My mind wanders.
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Therefore, my mind is not lost.
Now, my question to those of you who doubt my sanity is this: How can someone who has not lost their mind be insane?
Telperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:44 PM   #65
Celebrian
Enting

I also read them because the Hobbit had been read to me when I was little. I think I read them at the end of grade three, and although I didn't understand all of it, I understood most of it.. They moved to the top of my favorite book list then, and they're still there now.

Tall ships and tall kings, three times three.
What brought they form the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 10:36 PM   #66
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Sam Gamgee

I think mine was merely lucky chance. I saw the trailer for LOTR is theaters, and I remember seeing a copy of a book my uncle had under the same name, so I was like, "Oh man, I wanna read that book!"
Then I kind of forgot about it for a while, then for Christmas, my auntie gave me The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, and my uncle gave me The Hobbit. So, luck did me some good for once!

Old 10-23-2002, 11:11 PM   #67
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I got the first two books around grade 5 or so. For some reason I didn't get ROTK and had to repeatadly remove it from the library. Now almost 10 years later I own the trilogy, the hobbit (which I actually didn't read until high school), the silmarillion and unfinished tales. If I don't spend too much on beer I'll start buying HoME.

And yes-The Lord of the...whatever is good if absolutely nuts. Glory to the revolution, drug trading and the all the rest!
Old 10-24-2002, 09:03 AM   #68
Maren
Hobbit

I read the Hobbit when I was twelve and I loved it.

Mydad told me that LotR kind of followed up on that, but I had always thought it was some stupid fantasy with magic *poofs* and stuff.

After I saw the Fellowship, I decided to go ahead and read the rest of the books, and now I love them. I'm a little sad I hadn't gone ahead and read the rest of the books when I finished the Hobbit, so I could have had intense anticipation like all the other pre-movie fans.

Maren

Van?!?!?! Red, right?
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 09:57 AM   #69
elvendrummer87
Enting

Arwen Undomiel

My mom read the Hobbit to me when I was 10, and I LOVED it. I tried getting my friends to read it but they just shrugged it off as another of the books I read that were way over my head. At 12 I read LotR and wasn't suprised that they were God's gift to man! Ever since then I've read them about 7 times and will reread them again after I'm done with the books I'm reading now.
elvendrummer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 01:55 PM   #70
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

I was walking in the library and I saw this book that had a picture of a red dragon on it. I liked dragons, so I walked over and picked it up. On the cover it said 'The Hobbit'. After I read the hobbit I saw that there were more books by the same author that had to do with the same thing, so I read the rest of the LOTR books!
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 07:53 PM   #71
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

My sister read LotR first, and then she brought home the hobbit, and we took turns reading it to our younger siblings. Soon as the last page was turned, I was hungry for more.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 08:24 PM   #72
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

My brother told me that I should read The Hobbit when we first heard about the FOTR movie coming out. I tried too but the first chapter bored me so I stopped. I saw the movie with about 8 other people in my family and loved it! Then I got the LOTR trilogy as a Christmas gift (and now we have three copies in my house) so I had to read it. I absolutley loved the trilogy and I decided to go back and read The Hobbit. I finished that about 3 weeks ago.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:18 PM   #73
Keith K
Elf Lord

I first read LOTR in 1970. It drew me in so quickly that I lost myself in Middle Earth for a week disdaining my schoolwork. Since then I have reread the trilogy over15 times. When Tolkien passed away I was devastated. How was I going to get the answers to the many questions I had developed over the years. I had been eagerly awaiting the Similrillion and it seemed that the earlier histories would be forever left to imagination. Years later, when Christopher Tolkien published his fathers remaining works it was an answer to a prayer....literally! LOTR has been a lifetime fantasy for me. As my three children grew up I told them bedtime stories from Middle Earth nightly. Now the movie has inspired them to read the books on their own. Another generation of Tolkien fans is born....
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 12:57 PM   #74
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Me too: I first read LotR 20 years ago and have re-read it probably every 4-5 years. There is always more to discover, while you never lose the power of the story. My boy is just getting into it too - he's just finished the Hobbit (I read it to him when he was younger), but he's scared of Ringwraiths and doesn't want to read LotR yet (probably too young to really appreciate it).
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 01:56 PM   #75
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Sam Gamgee

Saw a poster in my school library last year with a pic of Frodo reading up against a tree, and another one with Arwen reading. Later got a book mark with the same picture, and decided hey what the heck, why not read it before the movie comes out. I read all three in about a month and a half (dad calls me evelyn wood lol) i just recently tried to read silmarillion and got about half way through. Couldnt finish it, just tooooo deep for me. I am reading the Hobbit tho, and it is a HUGE let down from lotr. I keep expecting something like the whole worlds future depends on Bilbo getting the treasure from Smaug. lol I am re reading TTT tho, couldnt get FOTR, my friend checked it out b4 me. *poopy on him!* so here i am!
Old 11-06-2002, 04:46 PM   #76
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Why I read LOTR and the Hobbit

I saw the Hobbit and Return of the King on TV and I liked them enough to be interested in reading the books.

Sincerely,
Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 08:19 PM   #77
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

my sisters recomemded it, and I had to read it if I wanted to see the movie, so I read it!

~*Ms. Undomial*~
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Ms. Undomial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 08:46 PM   #78
Eowyn of Rohan
Enting

I heard the movie was coming out and I wanted to read the books first. When I found out that the Hobbit was (kind of) the precursor to LOTR, I bought it along with FOTR - just so I could get those two in before I went to see the movie.
Half way through FOTR I WAS HOOKED. I went out and bought a large paperback that included all three LOTR "books" and an atlas of ME to help my visual imagination some more.
I've now stolen my father's copy of the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.

Was anyone else upset that their weren't 15 more books to read re: LOTR??

I was so sad that I had to stop reading... because there wasn't any more!! :'(
Eowyn of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 09:08 PM   #79
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn of Rohan
Was anyone else upset that their weren't 15 more books to read re: LOTR??

I was so sad that I had to stop reading... because there wasn't any more!! :'(
I felt that way. Even Tolkien said it was to short.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:25 AM   #80
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
I felt the same way. I was like "thats IT????" For like a month I just felt like "and then..." *flashbacks to Dude Wheres My Car???* lol

Oh well, I'm getting the movies, so i guess I can just watch them when i feel like I need it.

Wait, the whole trilogy is going to end up being longer than Gone With The Wind!!! That means instead of just one day of watching something I love, it'll be a weekend! Hello excuse for not going to cheerleading competition!

Ok I'm back now! lol