Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #61
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

And by the fact that England haven't beaten Sweeden in 40 years and if England carry on playing like they were (except for the last ten minutes) then I think that run will continue.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:25 PM   #62
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I'm rooting for the Czechs! And Also for our US team to do decently...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #63
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I'll stand by our team until Italy eliminates us tomorrow, then I'll cheer on the French.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #64
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfhelm
I'll stand by our team until Italy eliminates us tomorrow, then I'll cheer on the French.
The Italians are good though! Really good. France is also, of course...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:34 PM   #65
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

France are a joke.

Henry is a god like figure, a true icon and superstar, but zay as a "team" are like carazy left-bank nutters who ave run otta da coffee ...

TD - 40 years? time dat came tumbling down then.

its an 8pm kickoff - even the england ego "spice boyz" bleepers may have realised its time to turn up and play by now...

you may just find we come out an play and show dem superb argies what they have to fear ....

... or, .... we play sunday pub football and we burn da country down .... after all its' only a game .... it isn't life or death ... in the immortal words of bill Shankly .... it's more important than that.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:44 AM   #66
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

so any which way ... a 4-0 win guarantees Angola a place in the next round! (or a clear 4 goal margin anyway)

If Angola beat Iran and mexico beat |portugal to stay top of their group portugal are out and the Afdricans are through to the second round!!!

Trinidad and topbago could yet go through, with a T&T sauce win - a 2-0 win (even a 1-0) win if England thumped Sweden -

in fact even an England to win by only 2 clear goals and a 1-0 win for Angola would also do it i think - (well they would be even on points and goal difference.)

Current standings in the group tables:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...es/default.stm

well, NOW the germans are definately through Johnathon!! -at the time of writing Germany had 6 points but it was still possible for 2 other teams to get six points with higher goal difference than Germany!!

Fixtures, Saturday, 17 June 2006

Czech Republic v Ghana, 17:00 (UK)
Italy v USA, 20:00
Portugal v Iran, 14:00

would love to see the USA get a result tonight - just to add to the excitement - although Italy looked unusually positive and as strong as ever in their opening game ...

Ghana might just do something -you never know - but all eyes will be on the czechs again...

best all, BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-17-2006 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #67
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
How annoyed are you at Trinidad and Tobago Jonathan? They are the smallest nation ever to qualify for the World Cup.
Oh, I'm not annoyed with T&T per se. It's always fun when a nation new to the World Cup does. I'm annoyed that despite Swedish dominance in the game, they failed to score! (and the fact that I lost some money on the game )

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
How could anyone be annoyed at Trinidad and Tobago? I was actually more impressed with Sweden's performances, against both Paraguay and T&T, than with England's. Hislop hardly made a save against England. I think Sweden could well beat them next week, especially with Owen and Rooney probably being rested.
Since England didn't impress against T&T, it doesn't feel shameful that Sweden didn't either. I hope Paraguay can do better (don't want the Caribbeans to advance at the expense of Sweden).

Quote:
Now we are getting to the "end-of-group" tactics. The winner of the England/Sweden group plays the runner-up from the Germany/Ecuador group, and vice versa. This means that when England play Sweden next week they will know who they are likely to face in the first knockout round if they win the game. I imagine they will both want to avoid Germany; that could mean that neither of the teams want to win the game.
Imagine if Germany loses to Ecuador. That would result in a weird match between England and Sweden where neither team would want to win.

The runner-up in the England/Sweden group will probably not have to face Brazil until the final (if they haven't been knocked out). That's a plus, maybe.

Quote:
Another question for you Jonathan: Larsson has been on the pitch from the start, but I think he's looking a bit less sharp these days towards the end. Do you think they should use him as a second half substitute like Barcelona did? He came on the Champions League final with 20 mins to go and made two goals.
That's an interesting idea. However now that Ibrahimovic won't be playing against England, I guess we need 90 minutes worth of Larsson to make up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
Trinidad and topbago could yet go through, with a T&T sauce win - a 2-0 win (even a 1-0) win if England thumped Sweden -

in fact even an England to win by only 2 clear goals and a 1-0 win for Angola would also do it i think - (well they would be even on points and goal difference.)
That would totally suck!

Quote:
well, NOW the germans are definately through Johnathon!! -at the time of writing Germany had 6 points but it was still possible for 2 other teams to get six points with higher goal difference than Germany!!
You're right. They weren't through until Ecuador won against Costa Rica

Quote:
Ghana might just do something -you never know - but all eyes will be on the czechs again...
Ghana just won the first half, 1-0.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #68
Jonathan

Italy-USA (1-1) was a strange and eventful game! Two red cards for the Italians and one for the Americans, an own goal for Italy and other weird things made this very interesting to watch
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:12 PM   #69
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

no crappolla!

usa 2 sent off, italy 1!

well done the usa!

very dramatic game.

then we have ghana doing the business!

i was on me feet supporting the aussies against brazil .... they really deserved something ...

and then ... the fans of korea were deafening!!

the french blew it!

absolutely classic!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-18-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:14 PM   #70
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

just to clarify ... well done the USA - was rooting for you - not cus u got 2 sent off!

best all, BB
Old 06-19-2006, 06:45 AM   #71
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

yeah, it was the underdog's weekend. Shame Ivory Coast are in the Group of Death. They could do some damage at the knockout stages.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #72
Janny
The Blobbit

The underdogs have themselves a good work ethic. Much as Croatia and Brazil are the best two teams in that group, I'd much rather the Australians go through. They are so well organised and work so hard (like the Americans do, btw - Donovan couldn't stand up at the end!), and actually, it makes them very good to watch. Much better than the dull but good Eastern European sides.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:59 AM   #73
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Todays match:
England vs Sweden

are you watching it?
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:16 AM   #74
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Damright! Divided loyalties for me, Larsson being a Celtic hero and that. Actually no, no divisions at all:

Come on you Swedes!

It may well work out that it will be better to finish second than first; if Germany come second in their group (likely: Ecuador have a better goal difference) then the winners of England/s group will play them. So England might kick off hoping to lose! (Assuming that they'd want to avoid Germany)
Old 06-20-2006, 06:02 AM   #75
Jonathan

Come on you English! Wouldn't it be nice for you if Eriksson lead the English team to its first victory over Sweden in 38 years? Perhaps it takes a Swede to beat the Swedish.

I believe Germany will beat Ecuador. Which is good, since that will make both England and Sweden want to win their group. A match where both teams want to lose would be boring.
A thought - the winner of the group gets one more day to rest before the 2nd round. Would that be worth it the winning team gets to face Germany?
Old 06-20-2006, 07:05 AM   #76
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Definitely. Germany are at home, of course, but not the same team as Brazil or even Spain.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #77
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Come on you English! Wouldn't it be nice for you if Eriksson lead the English team to its first victory over Sweden in 38 years? Perhaps it takes a Swede to beat the Swedish.

I believe Germany will beat Ecuador. Which is good, since that will make both England and Sweden want to win their group. A match where both teams want to lose would be boring.
A thought - the winner of the group gets one more day to rest before the 2nd round. Would that be worth it the winning team gets to face Germany?
the swedish are supporting England?

... the scots are supporting sweden ...

Come on trinidad and Tobasco!!!

finally Rooney unleashed .... will we actually turn up and play this time?

**EDIT** .... BB checks diary .... ah! The Pub again.

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-20-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:44 AM   #78
Jonathan

Oh no, I'm all in for the Swedes!

I've put on my t-shirt with midfielder Kim Källström's autograph on it. Only a few more hours until the match

Germany is winning against Ecuador right now so both England and Sweden should play their best to avoid the Germans in the next round.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #79
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

The good thing is Sweden can't afford to play for a draw.

I'm watching it round a mate's house. Rampant Celtic man so no doubt Larssen will get a hat trick.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #80
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

ummmmmmmmmmmmm ...extremely drunk and i charge of a keyboard ...

(heh at no xtra cosrt spellin' corewcxtions added in freee

heh!

so ....

end up in a long meeting with cool but [edited]* would-be producer for a shoot with up n coming UK presenter .... so i gotta be on da ball ...

rush off thinkin' me car has been nicked ....

get to da pub ...

am outta sorts a for a short while .... am on me own .... me phone is me car ............ somewhere? nicked???

ok ....2 beers later... ze blood is a warming .... gettin the eyes from a blond and her kinda nice but slighty "hmmmmm..." mate ....

pyscho next to me seems to be warming to me .....

landlord is being wierd ....but the barmaids are (despoite my distraction an not being in here for a faiur while) being very hospitable

BB starts to get in da groove ...

... F thge mesdssages on thye ol' blower ... here i am an' here i stay ...

so .........

we at the races for the first time ....

sees the odds of doubting thomases blister in da sun like a Violent Femmes song ...

momentum?

first fundamentalist F-in step ....

all to play for!

Finally a game you could actually get into.... german bombers?

nah .... 21st century here and now ...

*Drunken typo notwithstanding, the language was a bit too coarse and needed editing. -- Khamûl