Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-17-2003, 05:55 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
hhahaha i watched them talking about including Arwen in the fight scenes but they said there was an uproar on the internet, i stuck up for her at the time but im glad she wasnt fighting, looked shocking and she said she cried because people called her xena, hahahahahahaha
Did they really mention my Xena reference? I have called her Xena-elf since FotR came out. I'm sure by "she" you mean Liv Tyler cried - not Arwen. Do they really mention this on the DVD stuff on the DVD about how they took out her fighting because of the backlash on the net?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 09:06 PM   #2
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Don't let my review spoil everything! The Frodo, Sam and Gollum scenes were good for the most part. I've managed to check out the Tolkien documentary on disc 3, which is brilliant. Of course it is, because it has Tom Shippey and others talking about Tolkien and the book. Very interesting.

I haven't seen the Xena-Arwen part yet. Maybe we do have power here on the net!
Old 11-17-2003, 09:56 PM   #3
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I still plan to get the DVD first thing tomorrow - the Tolkien lover in me enjoys the parts that are "right" to me, and ignores the rest And I'm one of those people that enjoy the behind-the-scenes stuff, and I got a kick out of the actors' commentary, esp. the silly stuff that showed they didn't know the book!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:03 PM   #4
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
... I got a kick out of the actors' commentary, esp. the silly stuff that showed they didn't know the book!
That just proves that Jackson fed us a line. He stated that all the actors had to read the book. Of course I already knew they hadn't since Elijah stated that he hasn't read the book.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-18-2003, 02:16 PM   #5
claudia silver
Enting

I got it

Extra scenes include:

Elven rope
The Burning of Westfold
The Banishment of Eomer
The Song of the Entwives
Ent Draft
The Glittering Caves
Flotsam and Jetsam

::rushing to watch it::
Old 11-18-2003, 03:23 PM   #6
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I haven't seen the Xena-Arwen part yet. Maybe we do have power here on the net!
No doubt that we have power. I have a habit of viewing Who's Online when nothing else is going on. Since I'm an admin, Who's Online shows IP addresses as well as the usual stuff.

Here's the cool part: sometime last year, this one IP caught my attention. It was "morannon.wetafx.co.nz" and they were viewing the thread called "Peter Jackson has improved Tolkien". Then I got to thinking and realized that WetaFX is Peter Jackson's special effects department, the .co.nz shows that they're from New Zealand, and then the LotR reference with Morannon was too much. Since we're one of the premier Tolkien boards on the web, I don't doubt that they dropped in to see what we have to say.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:10 PM   #7
Sween
im quite stupid

a much better version of the movie !

Loved some of the new sceans
Old 11-18-2003, 08:20 PM   #8
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Hey, that's cool Khamul! I don't doubt that somebody involved in the movie would have stumbled upon Entmoot. Maybe even Peter Jackson himself!

I've mangaged a look at the documentaries on disc three. It shows some sequences of Arwen at Helm's Deep (shudder). It is explained that they couldn't have an Arwen/Aragorn romance when they are miles apart. So they thought they'd haul Arwen up to Helm's Deep and have her involved in the action. They claim they decided in the end that the flashback sequences were enough to show Arwen and Aragorn's romance. The rumours on the net were mentioned, but I don't think they influenced their decision.

They also explain Faramir's change in character. They say Faramir needed to go on a journey -- like Frodo and Boromir. Phillipa Boyens says that since the Ring is destroying Frodo, it would be an insult for Faramir to not be taken by the Ring. I just hope Merry and Pippin go on a big journey in the next movie.

It also is explained why Shelob wasn't in TTT: if you check the timeline in the LOTR, you'll see Frodo is attacked by Shelob when Minas Tirith is under siege; and that the Helm's Deep battle and Shelob would 'cancel each other out', lessening the emotional impact.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:38 PM   #9
jerseydevil

Quote:
Hey, that's cool Khamul! I don't doubt that somebody involved in the movie would have stumbled upon Entmoot. Maybe even Peter Jackson himself!

I've mangaged a look at the documentaries on disc three. It shows some sequences of Arwen at Helm's Deep (shudder). It is explained that they couldn't have an Arwen/Aragorn romance when they are miles apart. So they thought they'd haul Arwen up to Helm's Deep and have her involved in the action. They claim they decided in the end that the flashback sequences were enough to show Arwen and Aragorn's romance. The rumours on the net were mentioned, but I don't think they influenced their decision.
No - instead there sending her down to Gondor to bring Aragorn his sword - then there will be a huge cat fight between her an Eowyn.
Quote:

They also explain Faramir's change in character. They say Faramir needed to go on a journey -- like Frodo and Boromir. Phillipa Boyens says that since the Ring is destroying Frodo, it would be an insult for Faramir to not be taken by the Ring. I just hope Merry and Pippin go on a big journey in the next movie.
They didn't NEED to do that at all. They just wanted more action and more conflict.
Quote:

It also is explained why Shelob wasn't in TTT: if you check the timeline in the LOTR, you'll see Frodo is attacked by Shelob when Minas Tirith is under siege; and that the Helm's Deep battle and Shelob would 'cancel each other out', lessening the emotional impact.
I don't think that it would have cancelled each other out. Does that mean they won't have the Battle of Pelenor Fields or what about at the Black Gate. The destruction of the Ring and the Black Gate might cancel each other out.

It's funny with how much jackson changed he's worried about the timeline and where Shelob fell into the story when he gave us that ridiculous Flight to the Ford scene. To me it would have been great to leave off with Sam thinking Frodo was dead (you KNOW the MAIN character) - but then Jackson would have had to have shortened Helms Deep. In my opinion that is the ONLY reason why Shelob wasn't shown - because he didn't want to take away from his precious battle sequence for Helms Deep.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-18-2003, 10:47 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Wow, I didn't even realise it was out until I saw it accidentally at Whitcoulles today... Needless to say, I didn't need any encouragement to buy it, but I'm probably not going to watch it until tomorrow, since I'm feeling a bit crap right now. Woe, me.

Quote:
Hey, if my BF can stumble over him at Real Groovy records, then why not Entmoot?
Old 11-18-2003, 10:53 PM   #11
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

The extended dvd is significantly better, it's largely book materialish, although there's a continuation of PJ, PB aggravating habit of changing speakers, situations, etc., frequently for no good reason. (ex. Merry and Pippin drink entdraughts against the advice of Treebeard).
And on disc three in a section called "book to screen" they, probably in response to criticism, try to justify Faramir's character alteration. It seems to generally come down to a conclusion that they know better then JRRT.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 11:14 PM   #12
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Just to comment on the Osgiliath thing. I wasn't a big fan of them bringing Frodo and company to Osgiliath, but looking at it from a different perspective, it makes sense in the following respect. The fact that Frodo, Sam and Gollum's route was leading them down in that direction to go through Minas Morgul. Now, considering the fact that Faramir and company were needed at Osgiliath then, for them to bring them there issued their safety. Yes, yes I know the parting was much nicer in the book and Faramir was more noble than his father and brother in the respect of doing what is right, however the book does lend us the fact that Faramir wants approval from his father. The movie sets that up nicely, unfortunately making Faramir look bad, but as I've always said about the way he was portrayed in the movie, the ultimate piece of him that we see, IS that noble Faramir we know and enjoy.

So, ultimately, that move in the movie makes sense by the fact that their paths led near the same end, being that Frodo was going to Minas Morgul which is basically next to Osgiliath. So from that perspective I can understand the motive, of course that is done looking back and knowing the geography of things. I do wish we didn't see Faramir in that light, but in the end he more than makes up for it and I am sure he will carry on to be the Faramir we know and love in his portrayal in RotK...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 11:24 PM   #13
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
So, ultimately, that move in the movie makes sense by the fact that their paths led near the same end, being that Frodo was going to Minas Morgul which is basically next to Osgiliath. So from that perspective I can understand the motive, of course that is done looking back and knowing the geography of things. I do wish we didn't see Faramir in that light, but in the end he more than makes up for it and I am sure he will carry on to be the Faramir we know and love in his portrayal in RotK...
i would not call them next to each other. That is like saying that if I'm in Cape May NJ (souther tip of NJ) - I can be dragged up to NY because I was going to Philadelphia anyway.

I don't think it works - I think jackson wanted more conflict.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-18-2003, 11:47 PM   #14
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
i would not call them next to each other. That is like saying that if I'm in Cape May NJ (souther tip of NJ) - I can be dragged up to NY because I was going to Philadelphia anyway.

I don't think it works - I think jackson wanted more conflict.

First of all I said "basically next to each other" which in the realm of Middle Earth, according to the maps they are near to each other. I would consider Minas Tirith (not counting the outer wall) next to Osgiliath as well, yet they are not exactly next to each other. In looking at the maps, Minas Morgul in respect to Minas Tirith, is just a little bit further from Osgiliath than Minas Tirith is. So in that respect they are "basically next to each other".

As far as your analogy of Cape May and Philadelphia, that is just ridiculous, cuz that is practically the whole state of New Jersey between the two places. From Osgiliath to Minas Morgul it is more like Newark to New York City, if that far...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-19-2003, 12:02 AM   #15
jerseydevil

Quote:
First of all I said "basically next to each other" which in the realm of Middle Earth, according to the maps they are near to each other. I would consider Minas Tirith (not counting the outer wall) next to Osgiliath as well, yet they are not exactly next to each other. In looking at the maps, Minas Morgul in respect to Minas Tirith, is just a little bit further from Osgiliath than Minas Tirith is. So in that respect they are "basically next to each other".
I don't see any reason for Faramir dragging Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath.
Quote:

As far as your analogy of Cape May and Philadelphia, that is just ridiculous, cuz that is practically the whole state of New Jersey between the two places. From Osgiliath to Minas Morgul it is more like Newark to New York City, if that far...
I disagree that Osgiliath and Minas Morgul are really that close.I'll give you that they are closer than the analogy I gave. But Newark and NY are less than 10 miles apart. Between Minas Morgul and Osgiliath it is 30 miles. On foot that is a big distance.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-19-2003, 12:21 AM   #16
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
I disagree that Osgiliath and Minas Morgul are really that close.I'll give you that they are closer than the analogy I gave. But Newark and NY are less than 10 miles apart. Between Minas Morgul and Osgiliath it is 30 miles. On foot that is a big distance.
At least you can admit that about your analogy

How do you know it's 30 miles? But even if it is 30 miles, that is still relatively close in relation to other things in ME...ya know? It's still "basically next to each other"

--Linaewen
Old 11-19-2003, 12:33 AM   #17
jerseydevil

Quote:
How do you know it's 30 miles? But even if it is 30 miles, that is still relatively close in relation to other things in ME...ya know? It's still "basically next to each other"
Becuase on the map I have has a scale. I took a piece of paper - marked where Osgiliath is and Minas Morgul and compared it to the scale.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-19-2003, 12:40 AM   #18
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Becuase on the map I have has a scale. I took a piece of paper - marked where Osgiliath is and Minas Morgul and compared it to the scale.
Oh duh I didn't look at that on my map, lol. Ok I just ran the scale as well.

From Osgiliath to Minas Morgul (on the map from the middle of each site) = 24-25 miles

From Osgiliath to Minas Tirith (middle of each site, Minas Tirith is measure from the block for the city itself, not the outer wall) = 18-19 miles

--Linaewen
Old 11-19-2003, 12:51 AM   #19
jerseydevil

Quote:
Oh duh I didn't look at that on my map, lol. Ok I just ran the scale as well.

From Osgiliath to Minas Morgul (on the map from the middle of each site) = 24-25 miles

From Osgiliath to Minas Tirith (middle of each site, Minas Tirith is measure from the block for the city itself, not the outer wall) = 18-19 miles

Well the road isn't straight though. And the land would be hilly - if not mountainous in some areas. But I'll give you 25 miles. I still think it is stupid for Faramir to drag Frodo to Osgiliath. I especially hate the fact that Frodo is two feet in front of the Nazgul, holding out the Ring and the damn thing just flies off like that.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-19-2003, 09:03 AM   #20
Sween
im quite stupid

One thing i think is very imporant to mention is no matter what anyone thinks of the changes made to the books etc and for good or bad anyone that has watched the extras cannot help but be moved by how much these people care and how hard they worked to do this. I dont think anyone would go to so much trouble if they didnt love tolkien or take great pride in there art and in what they were trying to do which is bring this worold to life and if only for that reason i think the proff would allmost aprove of the movies.

Richard Taylor does have a really anoying voice though