Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-04-2004, 05:24 AM   #61
Aden
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel

I didn't feel that the spirit of the book was maintained. Not all the "made up" scenes were departures from the spirit or intent of LotR, but there were too many that were completely off.

Yes, I feel the same way too. They could have maintained the spirit of the book...others can do it in a simple song (Blind Guardian) why couldn't they do it in a whole movie (not to mention TTT ).
When seing ROTK sometimes I feel like: "God what were they thinking..."
Though I agree that other scenes were great
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:40 AM   #62
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Dúnedain's definition helped me clairify my thoughts.

IMO, a good movie based on a book does not necessarily make it a good adaptation of the book.

LotR had scenes that were adapted well, but overall the movie was half-decent at best.

What, for example, did Legolas' ridiculous stunt with the Mumak show from the book? That Elves defy gravity, wear sticky shoes, or defy canon?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 01-04-2004 at 05:41 AM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:56 AM   #63
Aden
Elven Warrior

Quote:
What, for example, did Legolas' ridiculous stunt with the Mumak show from the book? That Elves defy gravity, wear sticky shoes, or defy canon?
Yes, that was pretty ridiculous.Apparently during the movies Legolas is turning into super-Legolas.
I think that if Tolkien could see this he'd love it
Old 01-04-2004, 08:37 PM   #64
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:

I was wondering why Legolas didn't just shoot the oliphaunt in the eye. He did have a bow and arrow, didn't he? It seems much easier.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:41 PM   #65
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

That's what actually happened to some of the Mumakil. Though Legolas and Gimli were at the battle, their deeds weren't talked about.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-06-2004, 01:17 PM   #66
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

I think it was a very good adaptation. For one thing, I give PJ some leeway based on the idea that his first goal is to make a good film, not to follow the book. Second, I think PJ chose (necessarily) to use a different POV than Tolkien did.

Tolkien tells the story from the POV of hobbits, which means most of the battles are extremely brief (someone got hit on the head and "remembered no more"). The movie wouldn't make a lot of sense that way, so PJ uses a more general POV. I see the movies as the same tale being told from a different perspective. Looking at it that way, I think the story isn't all that different; it just has a different focus.

As with the rest of the trilogy, some of the changes were odd, but most made for a better film.
Thorin II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:09 PM   #67
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Here's someone else's adaptation of the movie: http://home.earthlink.net/~ladyirony/ROTKparody.html

Heheh

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #68
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Now that's what I call an adaptation, of the movie anyway. Buahahaha! Non-stop laughter!
Quote:
Old 01-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #69
matthew
Enting

i agree that there a lot of ridiculous scenes in the movie, including Legolas singlehandedly slaying the mumak ( although if you noticed he was climbing up hanging onto the arrows stuck in the thing ), but even so i though it was very well done, because i feel the LotR depends more on the overall power fo the story than the accuracy of the battle scenes. Even if PJ didnt have to stick all those outrageous fight scenes, he had to make it a bestseller, and at least he didnt make it sort of "happy ending" movie for the immature. speaking of which, today my brother said he thought the LotR ends happily. Hes been seeing WAY to much disney

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 08:21 PM   #70
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

I think Elrond was really, really, really, really, really horrible in ROTK. Everything else has already been said 5 or 6 times.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:01 PM   #71
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by matthew
( although if you noticed he was climbing up hanging onto the arrows stuck in the thing )
I did notice that, but I thought it was part of the pointless stunt. It's such an impossible feat - Elves aren't so light that they can stand on two arrows. If they are, I'm sure they can't do it while dangling from the side of a raging Oliphaunt.
Quote:
Old 01-08-2004, 10:22 PM   #72
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

..but they can walk on fresh snow without sinking in...
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:38 PM   #73
Aden
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
I agree! The whole scene was ridiculous and overdone but the climbing wasn't impossible. Remember that elves (and especially for Legolas it's mentioned many time) are extremely Dexterous.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:23 AM   #74
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
But an arrow? Actually, I can accept that, but I have trouble with the raging Olipaunt aspect at the same time. In addition, he was standing freely on the Oliphaunt's back as be battled a soldier and threw him off. The whole thing was just out of place.
Quote:
Old 01-09-2004, 04:08 AM   #75
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
But an arrow? Actually, I can accept that, but I have trouble with the raging Olipaunt aspect at the same time. In addition, he was standing freely on the Oliphaunt's back as be battled a soldier and threw him off. The whole thing was just out of place.
There's something with their balance. Remember Elves are capable of walking on ropes as it were an ordinary road? I admit I enjoyed all of Legsie's stunts in all three movies. They were fun!
Old 01-09-2004, 04:10 AM   #76
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn_iz_cool
I think Elrond was really, really, really, really, really horrible in ROTK.
I think he has been horrible in all the three movies.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:49 AM   #77
orald
Enting

adaptation

I think most of us agree that the movie took liberties on the book.My main concern was as several in this post has said,"keeping the integrity of the books".I was against Jackson's interpretation pretty much from the beginning,but over the years I have lightened up,and felt that if people miss reading the books because this is a close adaptation(like some of us has done on much lesser books),then I guess its there own fault.Still the the hungry naive still need to be told on occasion,just how wonderful the books are.As a movie ROTK was the best,and felt it was a wonder to watch,and all three together was a cinematic event equal, if not better than the original Star Wars(gasp).I let go and enjoyed the best of both worlds.
orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:16 PM   #78
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I think he has been horrible in all the three movies.

I don't think he was that bad in FOTR.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:58 PM   #79
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

While I liked the movies and the adaptation, I completely agree that Elrond was terrible. I don't know how much of it was PJ and how much was Hugo Weaving, but they portrayed Elrond as bitter and negative. He seemed to be short on wisdom and his lack of faith in Men was particularly odd, given that he's a Half-Elf himself.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:46 PM   #80
Aden
Elven Warrior

No, no he's not Elrond he's "agent Smith".
Every time I saw him I thought the next scene would be "Neo flying"