Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2003, 04:13 AM   #61
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanelf
Call me ignorant, but what are these henna tattoo things?
And I don't have any tattoos or piercings, but I sort of want to get my ears pierced. Not sure though - I think I'll get them done if someone says it'd be cool or gave me earrings or something, but I just need a little bit more encouragement to be sure.
Do you believe, my Mum got her ears pierced last year??? First person in the family to get them done... Freaky.
Lanelf.

henna tattoos are those arabic style washable tattoos.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:57 AM   #62
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

They're not washable... it's when they put this dye paste on your skin in kind of middle-eastern designs and they dye you're skin... but not down to the permanent layer. They last several weeks.

I called some piercing studios yesterday to look for costs of an Industrial... the one place said they don't do it, the other one, the piercing guy wasn't in but the guy who was there said they'd be prolly $50-$70, and the other one said $45. The cheap one my friend's mom owns... well, she was my friend when she went to my school in 6th and 7th grade... but yeah I still have to call around and find out cleaning procedures and stuff.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:04 AM   #63
Millane
The Dude

ohhh my god i couldnt do it to my beautiful ears hmmm a friend is getting the antichrist symbol done someday im gunna try and convince him to do it on his forehead (you may laugh but you dont know him, he is quite stupid )
i saw some bloke down the street with the australian made logo tattooed on the top of his head (for those of you who dont know it is a green triangle with a yellow border and a yellow kangaroo in it) anyway i thought he was just some fruitcake with too much time on his hands but ive recently seen a few different people with it, i thought it looked stupid. i think a lot of tats look cheap and crap like all those ex crim faded green ones but if you get it done quality i guess there alright...
Old 04-16-2003, 02:05 PM   #64
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanelf
And I don't have any tattoos or piercings, but I sort of want to get my ears pierced. Not sure though - I think I'll get them done if someone says it'd be cool or gave me earrings or something, but I just need a little bit more encouragement to be sure.
Itd be cool Lanelf. I think you should do it. *peer pressure* *peer pressure*

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:25 PM   #65
gimli-son-of-gloin13
Elven Warrior

If only you could be drunk while they did the tattoo!!! I would either have a friend bring a picture or I would bring the picture befare I got drunk. I'm willing to go threw the pain though. I would want the symbol for OGG on my lower back ( BTW OGG is a band of mine and some friends.......or will be once I'm away from my parents) And/or a little frog somewhere.

When I gt piercings, I want alot on my upper ears (not like all jumbled but 4-5) along with my tongue. I would get a belly button piercing but I have a cute mole that is right where the piercing would go, and it would just look stuppid with that on one side and a piercing on another. and I would dye my hair some other color ( my hair color is really dull, and by that I mean, without the bit of shine)

Do you have any personality disorders, click here and see!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://public.findlaw.com/states_new.html

Find your rights as a student!
gimli-son-of-gloin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:52 PM   #66
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Theres really not that much pain involved (with the tattoos). I wouldnt worry about it. Minor discomfort at best. And I like the rest of your thoughts I think all that will look very nice on you. What hair color?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:55 PM   #67
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah, it's almost ticklish, just slightly stingy. Oh well, getting your tongue done isn't painful - it's the week after where you can't eat anything that hurts!
Old 04-16-2003, 05:06 PM   #68
Sminty_Smeagol

well dear, how much weight did you lose, thanks to your tongue piercing?
Old 04-16-2003, 05:09 PM   #69
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Not enough that I didn't put it right back on again when I could stuff my face again. Hey, I tried industrial once with my old tongue bar bell (the first one they put in is HUGE cos of all the swelling.) I didn't even know it had a name, let alone that people were doing it. Heh. It felt odd though, so I took it out.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:11 PM   #70
Sminty_Smeagol

This whole thing reminded me of a conversation I had with a girl at my church. Okay so I'm sick of self-righteous pretentious christians... not that all of them are that way, but that's one of the reasons I don't respect christianity and am not a christian, personally. But, my parents make me go to church with them. I'm talking to a girl at my church, she's self-righteous and arrogant, in all these "gifted" classes, makes straight A's, and is considerably stuck-up. I mentioned to her that my mom said I could get a tattoo for my next birthday, and she goes in this whiny voice, "Well, The Bible says not to get tattoos, and that it's unholy." So I explain to her that in ancient Jewish laws, "God" outlawed a lot of things that were harmful back then, and now that tattooing is clean and safe (well, moderately lol), she of course proceeds to act like the Bible fell out of the sky, and she's like, "Well it's God's law!" so I look her in the eye and say, "Well I'm not a Christian so I really don't give a **** what the Bible says". She was pretty speechless, and this was apparently new news for her and this dude who was talking with us, and they don't say anything for a bit just look at me weird.

Ergh I hate stuck up christians
Old 04-16-2003, 09:33 PM   #71
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

*eyeshift*

Actually, at one time, Christianity was a leading reason for getting a tatoo. Christian sailors would have a large cross tattooed on their back across their shoulders, so that if they were lost at sea, whoever found the body would know to give them a christian burial- especially since drowned bodies aren't always readily identifiable.

I have thought about getting a tatoo, and I've decided that If I /do/ ever get one it's going to be all-out. I'd like to have a Celtic knot design on my arm, shoulder, and chest. Or maybe something like a chinese dragon covering half my body.

I'd really love it if I could have a tattoo made with bioluminescent bacteria- the kind that colonise the glowing spots on deep-sea fish, and fireflies? That would be incredibly cool.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:36 PM   #72
Sminty_Smeagol

Bacteria... doesn't sound too lovely to me
Old 04-16-2003, 09:47 PM   #73
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

But I would have glowing tattos! Imaging how kewl that would be!
Old 04-16-2003, 09:52 PM   #74
Sminty_Smeagol

until it wants to decide it wants to eat away at the rest of you...

a glowing mooter corpse! Imagine how kewl that would be!
Old 04-16-2003, 09:59 PM   #75
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

*/grins.

I think you're a little confused, sminty. The bacteria in question aren't the flesh eating kind. After all, they /do/ inhabit numerous animals that don't seem to suffer for it.

Actually, there might be an even better way. I recall a few years ago there was one incident where a rabbit was spliced with the genes that cause said bacteria to glow, resulting in an animal with glowing green skin and fur.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:15 PM   #76
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
I'm talking to a girl at my church.... and she's like, "Well it's God's law!"
Sminty, tell her your Christian friend at Entmoot says (politely and respectfully) that THE BIBLE says that Christians are not under the law, but are under the new covenant of faith - I'll get you some refs. if you would like

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:04 PM   #77
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Actually, at one time, Christianity was a leading reason for getting a tatoo. Christian sailors would have a large cross tattooed on their back across their shoulders, so that if they were lost at sea, whoever found the body would know to give them a christian burial- especially since drowned bodies aren't always readily identifiable.
Where did you hear that?.......Sailors did often get the crucifix tatoo'd on thier back, but it wasn't to secure a christian burial (all sailors expected to be buried at sea, very few ever learned to swim). They tatoo'd themselves to lessen the risk of being whipped.............it would be a brave officer/deckhand who would take the whip to the image of the cross...the sailors soon cottoned on to this.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:06 PM   #78
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Heh. Lots of different reasons for some things. :P
Old 04-16-2003, 11:15 PM   #79
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
.... They tatoo'd themselves to lessen the risk of being whipped.............it would be a brave officer/deckhand who would take the whip to the image of the cross...the sailors soon cottoned on to this.
Pretty clever!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:17 PM   #80
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Might have been a mixup on my part. The Crusaders were known to have tattooed their arms and hands with crosses to indicate their desire for a Christian burial.

However, there are numerous stories of sailors (and other travellers) having cross tatoos or earrings so that they would get a christian burial.

Early christians were known to do the same with a tattoo of a fish.