Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-07-2003, 04:14 PM   #61
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I meant this

I think I'll have to stop posting with you Gwaimir.......I never seem to grasp the actual point you are trying to make in your posts

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:30 PM   #62
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Sorry.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:35 PM   #63
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Sorry.
Huh? No need to be sorry...........If your taking a specific point from a post that has several possible subjects, maybe use more quotes *shrugs*

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:37 PM   #64
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Hey, you can't expect much from a halfwit!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 07:08 PM   #65
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

id go wit the dream girl because i would phone an ambulance or something for her and my friend would not be in a life or death situation.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:11 PM   #66
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Moral Dilemma I think not

I don't believe Baby-K has answered me post. It's not much of a moral dilemma at all - perhaps a small dilemma.

Not enough info - what happens if you don't pick any of them up? do they die? if not, how is it that big of a moral issue? its more like a small tiny thing.

Stormy night - big deal - so they get wet!!

Is there a protective covering to the bus stop like almost all bus stops?

Why don't you have room in your car? Cars have 4 seats... If stuff in back, why not put it in the trunk? If there is absolutely no room - isnt human life over things - pick the stuff up later. Take everyone.

When is the next bus scheduled to come?

Picking up a friend who saved me life - um lets see. He saved my life, and in return i give him a ride when its wet oustide when a bus is on its way to get him anyway? Wow, great payback. If I didn't pick him up, he might be annoyed, but being a true friend would get over it.

How do I have the foreknowledge that this girl is the "only one for me?"And why couldn't I see her again? Cell phone number, home number, place of work, aim.......I could pick her up and leave the other two to wait for the bus - or not. It doesn't really matter. What if I already had a girlfriend or was married? Plus, this only works if you believe that there is really only ONE person meant for you.

To be nice and not to offend the other two - i could give the old woman a ride - but she is old and smells funny. I don't know her - she could be dangerous. Let her wait for the bus.

Now that I have reconsidered - id either take the girl or friend.

edit: oh I dont believe you told us what the guy that got picked for the job picked?? plus, for the guy that said he'd call an abulance - um why?? she not dead or dying - "looks like shes dying" can describe many old people.

Plus, why would this be used to hire someone? Since its not that serious, and the bus IS coming, its just a matter of preference - nothing to hire someone over. which answer is considered more moral? picking up the old woman? why?

Oh - if the bus is late, just call a cab for the rest.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:25 PM   #67
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Why don't you have room in your car? Cars have 4 seats... If stuff in back, why not put it in the trunk? If there is absolutely no room - isnt human life over things - pick the stuff up later. Take everyone.
Some cars are only 2-seaters.

Quote:
edit: oh I dont believe you told us what the guy that got picked for the job picked??
Originally she did: but she edited it out. Same as Cirdan's/Wayfarer's answer.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:57 PM   #68
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Some cars are only 2-seaters.

Originally she did: but she edited it out. Same as Cirdan's/Wayfarer's answer.

In the USA cars that only have 2 seats? Never heard of them being sold here........I've seen them in Europe.

What about my other points pants? :P

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:28 AM   #69
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

The Miata is a two seater; also that BMW conv. Small pickup trucks would qualify as well.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:33 AM   #70
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I don't know if I'd hire Hobbit. He seems a bit of a "spoil sport" ! Actually, I'm overly realistic myself. Get's kind of boring though, pooh, pooh, pooh, pooh! Ack!
Old 04-08-2003, 03:15 PM   #71
gimli-son-of-gloin13
Elven Warrior

Actually last night this came to me in a dream!!! I figure that I wouldn't take my friend, because I know them and could make other plans, and if they were my real friend hey would understand. I wouldn't pick the true love because if he were really my true love then we would meet again, if it weren't meant to be then we wouldn't. (that kind of goes along with fate) This leaves the old lady, even though I do believe in what somebody else said awhile back, that she has had a good long life, I would want to make the last of it ijn a nice warm car. Thanks to process of elimination I sounded like I was really smart and a good person both at the same time!!!!!

Do you have any personality disorders, click here and see!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://public.findlaw.com/states_new.html

Find your rights as a student!
gimli-son-of-gloin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 03:58 PM   #72
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I don't know if I'd hire Hobbit. He seems a bit of a "spoil sport" ! Actually, I'm overly realistic myself. Get's kind of boring though, pooh, pooh, pooh, pooh! Ack!
Don't you mean "spoiled brat"?
Old 04-08-2003, 05:05 PM   #73
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Sour grape! Aww!
Old 04-08-2003, 05:35 PM   #74
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

*annoyed look*

Allright, all you nigglers (HOBBIT!). Here's the way I heard the story, which is more descriptive than what Baby-K posted.

You're commuting home from the office one night, in your pricy two-seater BMW. It's about a 45 minute trip from home to work each way, but there's no traffic on the road so you can get away with speeding a little. As you pull out of the parking lot at work, you notice that there's three people standing at the bus stop.

The first is one of your oldest, best friends, a man who saved your life once, but whom you haven't seen in years. He's helping an old woman, who seems to be having a heart attack and will die if she doesn't get to a hospital within an hour. Looking on is another man/woman, who when you meet his/her eyes you can tell is your one true love. (this assumes you believe in love at first sight :P)

Your small car only seats two, but you figure you can take one passenger, so you quickly check your watch, and notice that the next bus won't come for another hour. It will take at least that long to get to town and come back. Who to do you offer a ride to?

Your friend, in repayment for saving your life?
The old woman, who will die if you don't?
The love of your life, who you may never have a chance to meet again?
Old 04-08-2003, 06:08 PM   #75
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Ok! Gwaimir was right. The old lady. Since nothing dire will happen to my wonderful friend, other than waiting two hours, and she's concerned and helping the old lady anyway, I'll take the old lady pronto, and come back for my friend.
One true love! pah! dime a dozen!
Old 04-08-2003, 07:06 PM   #76
Seton,Lothlorien Guardian
Hobbit

I would call a taxi for my friend, call 911 for the old lady, and let the woman get in my car and go to the nearest hotel

Or, I would hijack the bus and take the people at at the bus stop to LA (after dropping off old lady at hospital) and go to Disneyland

"Some who die deserve life, and some who live deserve death" -Gandalf.

"We do not stop until nightfall,"
"What about breakfast?,"
"We already had it,"
"We've had one, yes. What about two?"
Seton,Lothlorien Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 01:27 AM   #77
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Moral Dilemma I think not

I don't believe Baby-K has answered me post. It's not much of a moral dilemma at all - perhaps a small dilemma.

Not enough info - what happens if you don't pick any of them up? do they die? if not, how is it that big of a moral issue? its more like a small tiny thing.

Stormy night - big deal - so they get wet!!

Is there a protective covering to the bus stop like almost all bus stops?

When is the next bus scheduled to come?

Picking up a friend who saved me life - um lets see. He saved my life, and in return i give him a ride when its wet oustide when a bus is on its way to get him anyway? Wow, great payback. If I didn't pick him up, he might be annoyed, but being a true friend would get over it.

How do I have the foreknowledge that this girl is the "only one for me?"And why couldn't I see her again? Cell phone number, home number, place of work, aim.......I could pick her up and leave the other two to wait for the bus - or not. It doesn't really matter. What if I already had a girlfriend or was married? Plus, this only works if you believe that there is really only ONE person meant for you.

To be nice and not to offend the other two - i could give the old woman a ride - but she is old and smells funny. I don't know her - she could be dangerous. Let her wait for the bus.

Now that I have reconsidered - id either take the girl or friend.

edit: oh I dont believe you told us what the guy that got picked for the job picked?? plus, for the guy that said he'd call an abulance - um why?? she not dead or dying - "looks like shes dying" can describe many old people.

Plus, why would this be used to hire someone? Since its not that serious, and the bus IS coming, its just a matter of preference - nothing to hire someone over. which answer is considered more moral? picking up the old woman? why?

Oh - if the bus is late, just call a cab for the rest.
Sorry - I didn't think it needed answering really (pretty f****d up of me I suppose) - perhaps your ability to rationalise & de - & reconstruct such a scenario is part of the test for the position?

The entire question is based on a hypothetical situation - so your answer cannot be wrong or right, but rather an interpretation of the given 'facts' & your response to that.

I suppose it would be a moral question due to the fact that human constructs such as loyalty, ambition, respect etc are questioned...

Last edited by Baby-K : 04-09-2003 at 06:51 AM.
Baby-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:56 PM   #78
Celandine
Elven Warrior

give the keys to the person that once saved your life, he/she can drive the old lady to the hospital, and you and the other person would be together, and you could take the bus

My mind works like lightning, one brilliant flash and it's gone

You can do it a trot, you can do it at a gallop, you can do it at a rate so your heart don't palpatate, just don't be late, do the PUYALLUP

and in the morning i'm makin' WAFFLES

We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of oz. Because, because, because, because, BECAUSE of the wonderful things he does.

I am a banana.

All around the mulberry bush, the monkey chased the weasel, the monkey thought it was all in fun, POP goes the weasel

Do you think Chelsey's smart?

Texaco, star of the American Road!

You can trust your car with the man who wears the star at the big bright texaco star!!

TEXACO FOREVER!!!

It's texaco.com http://www.texaco.com/texaco/
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 06:26 PM   #79
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I have it! I'd make a detour and return to the busstop, stop a little before it and turn off the lights. Then wait for Artanis to pick up the old lady and wait for Lizra to pick up the old friend. Then I'd be able to give the dream lover a ride without having any moralproblems.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:06 PM   #80
Celandine
Elven Warrior

mine works

My mind works like lightning, one brilliant flash and it's gone

You can do it a trot, you can do it at a gallop, you can do it at a rate so your heart don't palpatate, just don't be late, do the PUYALLUP

and in the morning i'm makin' WAFFLES

We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of oz. Because, because, because, because, BECAUSE of the wonderful things he does.

I am a banana.

All around the mulberry bush, the monkey chased the weasel, the monkey thought it was all in fun, POP goes the weasel

Do you think Chelsey's smart?

Texaco, star of the American Road!

You can trust your car with the man who wears the star at the big bright texaco star!!

TEXACO FOREVER!!!

It's texaco.com http://www.texaco.com/texaco/
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote