Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-25-2005, 03:09 PM   #61
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Can you repeat that, Spock? Not sure I understand you...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:11 PM   #62
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Can you repeat that, Spock? Not sure I understand you...
As you wish.

.....yeah but us'n use comon cents and likes to do it....you all don't haf to but that don't mean we're off the wall.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:15 PM   #63
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Spock, are you from the "Dont Tread On Me" state? I detect a hint of an accent.

Old 08-25-2005, 03:23 PM   #64
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Check out the link below. My location is under my icon.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa...ganswers.shtml
Old 08-25-2005, 03:28 PM   #65
Mercutio

Did my post at the bottom of page 2 (I think) get buried?

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:44 PM   #66
Acran Mern

Quote:
Look, you guys, what is so difficult to comprehend about the fact that hunting wild animals is completely obsolete as a means to feed and/or clothe ourselves, and has therefore become just a plain cruel, stupid, arrogant, and disgusting pasttime that creates and beautifies nothing and does not elevate us as a species but lowers us?
Unfortunately, the replacements for insulating materials are somewhat limited. Down is kinda limited in supply and synthetic materials are manufactured by means that pollute the enviroment. This "technological" age that we live in certainly can replace a lot of natural means of feeding/clothing ourselves, but that doesn't mean it is better ecologically.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:57 PM   #67
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

cotton encased in canvas is pretty warm
Old 08-25-2005, 04:08 PM   #68
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acran Mern
Down is kinda limited in supply and synthetic materials are manufactured by means that pollute the enviroment.

So, would you perhaps suggest that clothing manufacturers consider contracting out to private duck hunters for down? I thought geese were farmed in particular to harvest their down and meat, and as long as it's done humanely and with kindness, I see nothing wrong with this. Hunting them in the wild is another matter entirely, though, don't you think?

Old 08-25-2005, 04:13 PM   #69
Acran Mern

Actually, I don't think that it's necessary to kill a duck for its down, especially since they line their nests with it. I'm talking more about pelts as far as hunting.
And yes, I'd prefer to allow wild animals to live in the wild where they belong.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:18 PM   #70
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Look, you guys, what is so difficult to comprehend about the fact that hunting wild animals is completely obsolete as a means to feed and/or clothe ourselves, and has therefore become just a plain cruel, stupid, arrogant, and disgusting pasttime that creates and beautifies nothing and does not elevate us as a species but lowers us? If one wishes to be treated with respect, one must extend respect - it's quite friggin' simple. And I'm not talking about special circumstances such as necessary deer population control; that's a type of hunting that we need to do to help the deers, because their environment has been so altered by us they need our intervention in that respect, and so thinning the deer is not cruel, but kind. But use common friggin' sense, common sense and even a rudimentary conscience will make it pretty clear to people what is "right" or "wrong" about the decision to run around hunting whatever they feel like just because they can. Hunting for fun and "sport" (sport - what a joke) is 100 percent selfish, and 100 percent cowardly. Destroyers and usurpers, curse them! oh - getting carried away again....
I will have to disagree i have an uncle in alaska who hunts and uses the animal for food I also know a not so wealthy farmer in kansas who hunts deer and freezes enough meat that he has venison all winter, not everybody can afford to live on artificial food
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:21 PM   #71
rohirrim TR

another great bumper sticker
PETA*People Eating Tasty Animals*
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:16 PM   #72
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
another great bumper sticker
PETA*People Eating Tasty Animals*
LOL! Kinda dark humour, but... can't say I'm a complete vegetarian, because I'm not; but I buy steaks from Whole Foods market - they have the organically raised, free-range beef.

Oh - about hunting when one needs to - I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with hunting for venison in Alaska, or whatever; I mean I don't know how many times I have to keep saying this but all I'm opposed to is PLEASURE HUNTING, not hunting responsibly and humanely, out of necessity.

Old 08-25-2005, 05:30 PM   #73
rohirrim TR

I get what you mean the pleasure hunting thing I just want to make sure you don't make generalisations because people with guns who hunt already have a bad name

FYI my brothers and have hunted for fun but we have cooked and eaten all the game animals that we shot, now when it comes to rodent and coyotes we didn't eat them but we did help the environment by getting rid of em
Quote:
Old 08-25-2005, 05:34 PM   #74
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

but what if the alsakan hunter who hunts for food, also enjoys the hunt? ... and subsequently then goes out occasionally to hunt for fun primarily rather needing food?
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:46 PM   #75
rohirrim TR

he becomes a guide for rich people and starts doing it for a living; at least thats one option he's got
Quote:
Old 08-25-2005, 06:45 PM   #76
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I bow hunt...hehehehe...Don't do it so much now, but on occasion I do. I am not one for the use of guns in hunting, especially those blamed high powered-scope weilding rifles that can take out anything short of a tank.

If I miss with my bow-which I do- That beasty (whatever it is) is looong gone. It's more of a chance for them. As for subistance adn choice, well, the nearest town is about...oh....a good 80 miles away, so no grocery shopping on a regular basis. Food is in my back yard, so to speak.

.....hope I dont get flamed to hell and back....
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:43 PM   #77
Mercutio

My brother does target archery. He's never had time (and my uncle never time off from work to help) to actually go hunting with it.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:55 PM   #78
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I extremely dislike hunting. For one, I fail to see the need for it in modern society other than an archaic habit that more often than not completely disregard national laws and issues on animal well-being.

I also fail to see the use of breeding animals like pheasants and drop them in the wild just because some trigger happy people want to shoot them out of the sky.

When I think of hunting I think of arrogant people who cowardly poison foxes and birds of prey, even within wild reserves!, because they want to get rid of their competitors. Some of them even shoot cats, whether they are wild or somebody's pet. They're constantly lobby-ing to increase the periods where they can hunt, regardless of breeding- or hatching seasons.

When I think of hunting I think of the absolutely barbaric slaughters on Malta that they call hunting. I'm glad the EU is finally rethinking their stance of allowing it but I'd like to see some more enforcement still.

In Belgium since we have only a small percentage of wild reserves and hardly any natural predators left so populations of prey species like deer can get out of hand. In this sort of cases one must find a way to bring the population back to the numbers the environment can sustain. Often the only way to do that is shooting them. This manner of wild-life control, I can accept but it seems a far cry what modern day hunting practises entail today.

You'll have to forgive me my rather extreme stance on hunting. I'm sure there are hunters out there who have respect for the animals they hunt, but frankly , not in my experience.
Two years ago, I really didn't know, so I would have disagreed...but the way things are going...especially when it comes to fish, it's getting pretty unnatural.

I don't say hunting is bad, but the necessity of hunting is for food (that reason has decreased considerably), which is the one and only reason my father has had occasion to do so (and he hasnt in quite awhile).
Venison is quite good fresh.

Incidentally, the U.S. plans on bringing African Lions and other big Cats over to the wild midwest.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 08-25-2005 at 07:57 PM.
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:26 PM   #79
Acran Mern

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
Incidentally, the U.S. plans on bringing African Lions and other big Cats over to the wild midwest.
Are you serious.....?
'Cause anyone considering that would have to be somewhat deranged....North America has suffered enough due to the importing of non-indigenous animals.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:28 PM   #80
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I don't think it's the US govn't. There is a private ranch in Texas that stocks wild game and charges upwards of 10-20k per hunt with no guarantee of 'bagging' your game.

another location:Bigger cattle ranches, in particular, have begun catering to wealthier clientele. Tom Elliott, owner of Montana’s oldest ranch, the sprawling 48,000-acre N-Bar Ranch near Grass Range, carefully manages his range and timber operations to protect elk, deer and antelope herds. In the fall, his employees guide guests to the animals. He charges from $5,000 to $12,000 a hunt, depending on whether a deer or bull elk is shot. The income generated from the hunts is important to sustaining the ranch.

Last edited by Spock : 08-26-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote