Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-07-2005, 12:09 AM   #61
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Wow. I can't believe I've never seen this before. Right now I can't read all of it but I'll say: Pink Floyd. No other band has been so unique, inspiring, and ground-breaking, IMO.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #62
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Agree with you Bombadillo Love your signatur btw!

Last edited by Pytt : 09-07-2005 at 02:39 PM.
Pytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:17 AM   #63
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Thanks. I was hesitant to use such a long signature, but it's more meaningful than my older, shorter ones so why not?

After reasing the thread, I can say, yeah, you all know what you're talking about.

I think what makes a band one of the "bests" is that it's unique, groundreaking, or definative of its genre, and inspires almost all who hear it, plus are impressively talented musically. So I don't see rap fitting in there anywhere really, but I get a kick out of some of it anyway. (Now, I doubt it, but is Coolio one of the good rappers, Lotesse?)

You ever notice how almost everything by AC/DC or Queen feels like a rock anthem?

Last edited by Bombadillo : 09-08-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:17 PM   #64
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Ok...its been a few months since this "challenge" to find good "rap". I have given many an "artist" a listen, and I can say I willnever be able to give any of the '40 drinkin' Ho-fistin' guns blazin' rap a break. I will however give in that rap influence can be benificial to the sound of other genres.

I found the band Nublues in this search, and that is worth giving rap some due.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:18 PM   #65
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
Now, I doubt it, but is Coolio one of the good rappers, Lotesse?
No, absolutely not; that guy's a friggin' idiot and one of those sell-out freakin' phonies in the industry that I hate so much, like Jay-Z and countless others oh, I could go on and on here but I need to retain my good mood today. SDome of these big-money rappers are the main ones who give that entire musical genre such a horrible name.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:22 PM   #66
Pytt

Lotesse: What kind of rappers are good? Beacuse, all I get of rap is what is playing on the charts, and tough it sometimes is a nice tune that I can't get rid of, most of it is just bad, or funny, or both.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #67
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Because you CANNOT - I repeat canNOT get any goodness out of what "plays on the charts," in the genre of rap and/or hip hop. The good stuff is either too cool and cerebral (think Dead Prez, Wu-Tang Clan, Dilated Peoples, Arrested Development, NaS) or way too violent and gritty-real (think Notorious B.I.G., the incomparable Tupac Shakur, Eminem, some Snoop Dogg, N.W.A., Dr. Dre, Easy-E, Too Short, L'il Kim).

There you have it, for the time being. Above named artists are all faves of mine, BTW. Coolio, Jay-Z, that moron P. Diddy, and a host of others can kiss my ass. Actually, come to think of it they'd probably like that... digressing, digressing...

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-08-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:30 AM   #68
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Because you CANNOT - I repeat canNOT get any goodness out of what "plays on the charts," in the genre of rap and/or hip hop. The good stuff is either too cool and cerebral ...
That can be said for most genres of music.

I had a discussion with an esteemed collegue on the Dunedain forum about Coldplay. I said they were Pop.. as in popular, and he comes back and says.. no, they are 'alternative/indie' So the whole what is what discussion came up. Simply, in my mind, you can have 'alternative' to any genre, and is not really a genre in itself. Also, 'indie' can have any and all genres, for to me , 'indie' means independent, which are usually self-releases or releases from very small and not yet consumed by a mega chain record label.

Anyway, you name a couple there Lotesse I haven't tried listening to, but I'm afraid as a genre of music rap ain't something I will ever have to freely listen to. As a style or influence I can see some good from it, which is an improvement in my outlook on it since the spring.

Edit: whats the difference between 'rap' & 'hip-hop' ?

Last edited by Snowdog : 09-09-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #69
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Initially, in the beginning days of this genre (read:mid- to late-1980s) "rap" was east coast (New York) and "Hip Hop" was west coast, swingier/bouncier style (predominately the S.F./Oakland bay area, but also L.A. of course).

Does that help a little? Rap was harder, grittier, more about the talk, whereas hip hop was 'funner', bouncier, more about the sex 'n' the rhythm. These distinctions aren't as clearly notable anymore as they were back in the day - a good example of what I'm talking about, Snoop Dogg is true west coast hip-hop, and on the flip side Biggie Smalls (Notorious B.I.G., or Christopher Wallace who {rip} has died) is true east coast rap.

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-09-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:56 PM   #70
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Hey Snowdog, thanx 4 that link about this new group NuBlues; as soon as my boyfriend's finished watching his movie and I can put on the computer's speakers, I'm gonna check out their sound.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:11 AM   #71
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I forgot to add The Black Eyed Peas to my list of favourites, up there with 'cool & cerebral,' when I was listing them off...

Old 02-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #72
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
My favourite Bands:

Black Sabbath - They Rock! Ozzy has great Vocals, And Tony Iommi is probably the world's greatest guitarist

Mortiis - He is brilliant, and Sarah Jezebel Deva has great Vocals on some of the tracks on The Smell of Rain

The Sisters of Mercy - The original Techno-goth, who can argue with that

HIM - Not only does Ville Valo have a great voice and body, but the lyrics to his songs are excellent
I have to add Cradle of Filth, Cod, Static-X, System of a Down, Children of Bodom, Metallica, Burzum, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Emperor, Immortal, Amon Amart, Amorphis, Murderdolls, Typ-O Negative....that'll do for now
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:05 PM   #73
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

recently just found a good classic rock and roll station in my area. I haven't seen Credence Clearwater Revival mentioned in this thread, yet. "Down on the Corner" is the best happy music you'll ever come across.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #74
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Are you kidding? CCR is the bomb! Cross-Tie Walker, Born on the Bayou, Put A Spell On You, Midnight Special, Tombstone Shadow - Creedence is a staple all-American band, that's for sure. Classic!

Old 02-19-2006, 10:35 PM   #75
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

not to mention House of the Rising Sun, Have You Ever Seen the Rain, and Proud Mary. My day is always a good day if I hear Credence on the radio.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:19 PM   #76
Pytt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crickhollow
not to mention House of the Rising Sun, Have You Ever Seen the Rain, and Proud Mary. My day is always a good day if I hear Credence on the radio.
I have always belived it was The Animals who had House of the Rising Sun?
And talking about Credence, you can't get past Bad Moon Rising.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #77
BeardofPants
the Shrike

House of the Rising Sun is a traditional folk song. The Animals did a version.
History of The House of the Rising Sun
Old 02-20-2006, 05:13 PM   #78
Pytt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
House of the Rising Sun is a traditional folk song. The Animals did a version.
History of The House of the Rising Sun
Thanks for the info BoP
Old 02-20-2006, 10:07 PM   #79
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain Peregrin Took I
I don't know who the best band is, but I personally think the following are pretty good: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles (mainly before they became druggies), The Eagles, Stephen Wolf, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. I think there's more, but that's all that comes to mind at the moment...
I didn't even list Queen! They play 2 of my favorite songs, too. Some Queen songs are kinda random, though.

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Thain Peregrin Took I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:57 PM   #80
Bran
Hobbit

Oh, I love CCR! So great! Some of the best guitar licks in American history! Undeniably a great band. But I have to agree with the people on here that think there is no such thing as the best band ever, since music is a collective and has bread off itself for generations, constantly inspiring new sounds, but always holding root to something before it. All great bands have great influences. Where would they have been without those great influences? I think that ultimately, you could figure out what the best band ever is, has in this logical universe something of that sort would have to exist, but who in this world has the right to name it?

I do know who I like best...

Beethoven. Used to listen to him when I was little. The only music I would listen to for years. But then I moved on to...

The Beatles! Anybody who hasn't heard Abbey Road needs too. The transition between the songs "I Want You(She's So Heavy)" and "Here Comes the Sun" is one of the most glorious moment in rock'n'roll history, if you ask me.

Then there's Radiohead. A band you who has taken me to places no other band has. Pink Floyd is also great, and I grant them that they inspired Radiohead, but I think I like Radiohead better. I still haven't heard much of Floyd besides DSotM, yet, though. Any suggestions for next album to buy?

Elvis Costello is also awesome, if you can get into him, which takes I while. But it's pretty satisfying when you do.

Well, that's all the time I have now for ranting. any thought's on what I've said?

Socrates
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote