Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-27-2004, 10:34 AM   #61
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Yes but later on in the book he gets all angry at just a mention of it but maybe thats got something to do with them getting closer to its birthplace.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:30 AM   #62
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

You mean Boromir? I agree - being closer to home would have reminded him of the pressures from his father, and his conflicting loyalties. (To the Quest and Aragorn, and to his father.) Also, he spent more time under the influence of the Ring as time went on.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:21 PM   #63
Telcontar_Dunedain

I didn't mean by Boromir I was referring to Frodo and the Ring but it is also true abou Boromir.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 08-27-2004, 02:05 PM   #64
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Arwen Undomiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Yes but later on in the book he gets all angry at just a mention of it but maybe thats got something to do with them getting closer to its birthplace.
Yes, that was after the Ring had grown in power upon him. True, he was angered at Bilbo when he merely wanted to look at it, but that was the Ring not wanting to go back to him, IMO. Later he had greater insight into the thing and, with Galadriel's help, would have been able to give it to her, also IMO.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:32 PM   #65
Telcontar_Dunedain

Maybe but do you think it was when Gollum found Frodo and Sam that Frodo would have found it impossible to give away.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:10 PM   #66
Attalus

I do not think that Frodo would have given the Ring to anyone but someone he trusted and admired, like Gandalf and Galadriel. As a matter of fact, he tried to give it to both of them.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:13 PM   #67
Telcontar_Dunedain

No but when Gollum arrived he seemed to get even more atached to it and wouldn't have been able to give it Gandalf, Galadriel or anyone.

Old 08-27-2004, 11:40 PM   #68
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

yeah I mean. In the beginning of the quest he was among lots of friends and didnt always worry about the irng so it didnt always weigh so heavily upon him so he probably could have given it to Galadriel, Gandalf, or Aragorn people he thought might be able to cocntrol it but when He and Sam spilt off he started thinking about it more and more then Gollum came and he began to distrust him for awhiel so he grew more attached and ten eventually he just go t so drawn into it.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:04 AM   #69
Telcontar_Dunedain

But it could have helped him aswell because he could see what the Ring had done to Goluum.

Old 08-28-2004, 06:16 AM   #70
Haradrim

yeah truew but I think the negative would work harder againsthim then the positive so all inall gollum is a bad influence in the end.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:22 AM   #71
Telcontar_Dunedain

Bad influence but he helped them into Mordor and to destroy the Ring.

Old 08-29-2004, 05:56 PM   #72
Haradrim

Its true he was helpful in leading them but not in frodos deccent into the ring. THey wouldnt have suceeded without him but anyone else would have been better.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:43 AM   #73
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Hmm - I hate to interrupt an ongoing discussion, but - please keep to the topic, guys.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:03 AM   #74
Haradrim

Well its kind of on topic since we are dicussing when Frodo was able to give up the ring and then that relates to could frodo have given Gladriel the ring which in turn relates to did galadriel tempt him and the otheres with the ring.

Jus tread that And I am sorry I will go back on topic.

So Gladriel.......... I think she tempted all of them.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:56 AM   #75
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yeah and I still think she tempted them all with the Ring (with the possible exception of Merry, Pippin and Sam).

Old 08-30-2004, 04:04 AM   #76
Haradrim

yeha cuz they cared nothing about the ring. Becasue they just wanted a good pipe and some ale. And Sam wanted Rosie so the ring was nilll to them.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:20 PM   #77
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

I don't think she would've tempted Aragorn with the Ring, either. He may not have been able to resist it if he held it, but apart from that, I don't think Aragorn was interested in the Ring. A life with Arwen seems more likely.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:55 PM   #78
Attalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin II
I don't think she would've tempted Aragorn with the Ring, either. He may not have been able to resist it if he held it, but apart from that, I don't think Aragorn was interested in the Ring. A life with Arwen seems more likely.
I think that probably this is correct. Aragorn never shows any interest whatsoever in the Ring.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:22 PM   #79
Haradrim

but it doesnt matter whether he actually wanted it or not. The ring affects everyone. IT doesnt matter if you have known you dont want iut your whole life or anything like that. IT affects everyone. Gandalf himself was effected so wouldnt Aragorn be?
Old 09-03-2004, 10:06 AM   #80
Attalus

Tom Bombadil

I think that the Ring had little temptation for Aragorn because he was so focused. He wanted to be King of Gondor and Arnor and marry Arwen. The Ring's appeal was for universal dominion, and he wouldn't have wanted that, clearly seeing that Ringlordship would quickly overmaster those things. When you are in love, that is much more important than vistas of power. They would be distracting. How can you be sitting in the garden with your darling, listening to her sing and letting the Tree grow and flower when you have a bunch of Orcs to order around? I know which one I would want, and it ain't the Ring.