Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #761
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine was surprised to suddenly see Carnehillion at her side with his pack.
"Need help?"
"Excuse me?" He motioned to her wound. "Oh, right," Aelfwine's face reddened a bit. "Alright," Throughout the quest Carnehillion had kept to himself. "Thanks,"

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 03-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #762
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Now with the added bonus of the camp and a fire going, Carnehillion nodded and set down next to Aelfwine. "That was a relatively brief, if unexpected skirmish. I guess I ought to get more in the mix, that way there could be less by way of losses..." Carenhillion wasn't a dummy, he knew that he had kept a low profile throught the quest up till now, seeing as there was no need for him to step forward. It gave him the best opportunity to observe and figure out the personalities of those he was traveling with, and thus take good measure of them. He also knew the downside of the quiet profile; he had established much less by way of trust and comradery with his quest mates.

"Where were you hit?" he had noticed she was putting pressure on her thigh above her knee and would much rather ask her permission than go ahead and look. Women tended to be touchy about the areas above their knees (and below their necks....); had Aelfine been a man, there would have been much joking and no hesitation, yet seeing as he was drastically out numbered on this quest by females, he wasn't going to take any chances.

Carnehillion took out his bandages and the supply of disinfecting herbs that were more commonly known and started to clean the area, noticing, but not commenting on Aelfwine's blush.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 03-15-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #763
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

As soon as Haldis had stepped of the raft and seen that everyone save poor Quickleaf was back on solid ground and tending to each other she made herself unobtrusive, allowing the raft elves to supply what medicines were necessary. She didn't know how long they might be travelling after leaving this company, and she thought it best to keep her supplies in reserve, for she was certain if she used them now they'd be missed later on.

In the meantime, she had a promise to keep. Going to her packs, she took a large, shallow bowl and filled it with clear river water, mixed with a generous portion of precious sugar. She placed the sugar-water well away from the inland edge of the camp, sent out a gentle call with her mind, and sat, head bowed in thanks and mourning, as the remaining bees came to recieve their promised reward.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 03-16-2009, 02:56 AM   #764
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Another of the Raft-Elves was assigned to help Barufiniel with Randil, and Sirandion returned to his duties of organizing. Soon they had Randil stabilized, and the other elf helped Barufiniel to bandage her wounds as well - she had some cuts in her arm, and one in her leg. Then he decided to stay with Randil and wait for him to wake up - he had more experience than Barufiniel with people who had had concussions, not to mention who had been close to drowning.

Barufiniel remembered that she still had Carnehillion's swordbelt lying next to her. She saw that he was close by, just finishing helping Aelfwine to bandage a wound. She went over to him as he rose from his task.

"Here's your sword back," she said, "I didn't use it for anything. I'm not familiar with using a sword - only with counteracting it with a dagger. I've done that today, though" - she gave a shudder - "as well as using my bow. I much prefer the bow. I see now that it allows me to stay more detached."

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 03-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #765
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Ferrus wandered to a largish rock with a blood covered blade and an arrow aperently stuck in his shoulder, an elf came over and started to ask something (Ferrus couldn't tell most of the elves apart so he had no idea who this was) "Before you ask, I'm wearing chain mail" Said Ferrus before the elf could say anything, the elf went off to do something else and Ferrus took a rag out and cleaned off his sword but left the arrow in his shoulder.
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:16 AM   #766
Acalewia

Aelfwine looked up at Barufiniel as she joined her and Carnehillion. She nodded at her comment.
"I'm much better at a distance than I am at close combat," She motioined to the wound. "Obviously," She then laughed and started to stand. Carnehillion helped her up. "Have you fought on water before, Carnehillion?" She asked. Aelfwine wanted to know more about the man. All she knew about him was he was a friend of Gandalf and that he had resided in Rohan before this quest.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #767
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

After doing a respectable job of patching Aelfwine up, Carnehillion tied off the bandage and noticed Barufiniel coming towards him with his belt and sword.

And a good thing too, this cord isn't doing much for me. He thought as he helped the young woman stand. "You were lucky, none of the deep tissue was harmed, though if possible, I'd try not to do any sprinting on that leg until the stitches are out."

By then Barufiniel had come up to the two and introduced herself, and her perference of bows, in what seemed to be one sentence. Carnehillion nodded gave a brief bow towards the elf.

"Here's your sword back," Barufiniel said, "I didn't use it for anything. I'm not familiar with using a sword - only with counteracting it with a dagger. I've done that today, though" - she shuddered - "as well as using my bow. I much prefer the bow. I see now that it allows me to stay more detached."

"Thank you for holding onto my weapon! I'm no elf when it comes to bowmanship, but I can do a fair bit of archery myself. If I remember where my bow is, of course..." He said as he girt the belt and the sword back around his waist, grateful for the feel of it again.

"No, I'm more for close quarters combat, be it on foot or on horse. However, even in hand to hand, one must keep a level of detachment and have their wits about them, lest they not see a blow headed for them." He bent down to retrieve his pack.

"Have you fought on water before, Carnehillion?" Aelfwine asked

"Yes, I have lived in Laketown and Dale as well as further north and in Rohan, and I am no stranger to rivers, swamps and other environs of like nature; my bounty hunting and scouting for Gandalf often lead me into many a merry chase and battle in rivers, lakes, streams and bogs. It takes practice, luck and a certain technique to fight on water. However, I have yet to see any larger water than that of the great lake. I have not really been to the sea, but merely caught glimpses of it when I rode on Pelenor and attended the celebrations in Gondor." He shouldered his pack and checked his sheild, and lent his other shoulder to Aelfwine as the trio headed over to a fire.

"What of you, Barufiniel? Are you of Thranduil's people? I have had many rather pleasent interactions with them. And what brings a fellow Rider of the Mark onto this Goosechase?" He asked of his two female companions.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 03-18-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #768
Acalewia

Aelfwine raised her brows in surprise. He'd been so many places! He offered her his shoulder, which she took, and she, Carnehillion and Barufindiel headed to the fire.
"What of you, Barufiniel? Are you of Thranduil's people? I have had many rather pleasent interactions with them. And what brings a fellow Rider of the Mark onto this Goosechase?" Aelfwine laughed.
"I'm not a Rider, Carnehillion," she said. "Just the daughter of one. I was a good friend with Gandalf during the War of the Ring. My father was killed fighting Uruks and I was at Helm's Deep during that battle," Carnehillion raised a brow.
"You fought at Helm's Deep?"
"Not exactly. Theoden forbad me to fight, but stationed me at the entrance to the Glittering Caves in case the Uruks got past Aragorn and the Rohirrim,"

Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #769
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Carnehillion asked them where they came from, and Aelfwine explained about her - albeit limited - experiences at Helm's Deep.

"You still were rather in the middle of things, Aelfwine," Barufiniel said. "I was safely away from danger during the War. I'm not of Thranduil's people, Carnehillion - I'm of Elrond's people, and I've been living at Rivendell for the last three hundred years. And I was away from danger because the war never reached Rivendell - if it had, even the women of Rivendell would have been fighting to defend our home. Many of us received training in the use of weapons in those days. I already used my bow for hunting - but using it for fighting is a bit different."

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 03-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #770
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Branwyn decided to make himself useful by making sure everyone standing guard got a decent meal into him or her. He had escaped the fighting with on one arm in a sling, an injury that caused more embarassment than pain, since he had sustained it not in battle but with falling over when one of the canoes had forcefully collided with the raft he had been on. Clearly he did not possess the command of balance that came natural to the Elves.

He came to Nami first, carrying a plate with bread and a nurishing soup in his uninjured hand.

"I thought you'd be hungry by now, Nami." he said as way of greeting.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 AM   #771
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami turned towards Branwyn, a slow sad smile passed her lips as she took the offered food. "That is most kind of you thank you Branwyn." Nami turned her grey eyes back to the dark water. "The water looks cold tonight, do you think?" She asked thoughtfully. Her clear eyes betreying the hurt she felt.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #772
Earniel

"Yes, very cold. And silent." Branwyn said with a look at the river and suppressed a shiver. "There's not a frog or bird calling. Everything seems in mourning too."
Old 03-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #773
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami smiled at the comment, she felt alone in her sadness and it was comforting to know she was not the only one with such thoughts on her mind.
Taking comfort in the little Branwyn had said Nami thanked him again for the food,"Let's hope tomorrow bring a brighter day." Content she stand in silence with him for a moment longer.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:51 AM   #774
Earniel

"We could use a brighter day tomorrow," Branwyn agreed. "Well," he said after a while, "I better get going now, there's still quite a couple of people on guard who would like a bite too. I don't think Ellysa, for in stance, ate something all day."

He took the empty bowl that Nami handed him back.

"You won't have to stand guard for much longer. Sirandion said he'll send someone to take over as soon as they've eaten. Oh, and we've taken your pack off the boat, and it's lying near the fire if you're looking for your bed-roll."

In the camp, near the fire, the Elves started singing quietly. It wasn't a cheerful, victorious song, but a lament for the three lost Elves that had not survived the raid.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #775
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl sat alone, at some distance from the fire, sharpening her t'rai – her knife, or rather, Abasi's. Although she did not know what future there might be for them, she kept it still, a sign of her regard and care for him. She could do no more than this, she had told herself, not unless he was to take service with her people. No matter how she felt.

It was with Abasi that Tabrîl spent most of her days, honing her skills at the Game of throwing that they so often played together, or talking of the folly of their non-Avarin companions, or simply sitting silently together, as she preferred this to being apart.

Tabrîl had fallen into a routine as time had passed. She guarded their campsite, she watched over those who were not warriors among their own people, almost considering it a duty of sorts. It was not her duty, of course, but she needed a way to pass the time, and this suited her well enough. It also gave her the opportunity to study, simply through careful listening and due attention, the language of her companions, and she now believed herself to have a fair grasp of it.

She rarely spoke it aloud. She rarely spoke to anyone save Abasi – and Haldis, when the mood took her. Since hearing that the woman was tutored by Radagast himself, Tabrîl had tried to treat her with a certain degree of respect. It was difficult, at times, but it seemed the right thing to do, particularly with the proximity the two of them had to maintain.

There were many everyday tasks that Tabrîl, being a m'had'i, an Avarin warrior, refused outright to assist with, and so over time she learnt that conflict with the others could usually be avoided if she busied herself with the activities that ought to be hers by right. Which, for Tabrîl, meant many days spent gathering food for the others to cook, and taking proper care of weapons and armour.

It was inevitable, perhaps, that even though she knew she was meant to be here, that she had been told to follow these people, Tabrîl still found them very difficult to understand, a problem exacerbated by her refusal to interact with them or participate in their activities any more than was absolutely necessary. She missed home. She missed the warriors of her hall, whom she supposed now that she would never see again, and she looked back with a grim irony on the restless thoughts she had entertained when first she met with this group. The need to wander, to do more than protect the hidden homeland of the last of her tribe.

Those were the thoughts of a young m'had'i, and although Tabrîl could not call herself old, she knew she was no longer young.

She looked around her, taking in the aftermath of the battle. They had only lost three, and that, to her, was a reasonable outcome. Since neither she nor Abasi had been injured, she was free to sit and rest, and listen to the songs the foreign elves sang for their comrades that had gone to the dark.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #776
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

It was dusk when Haldis returned from mourning with the swarm and the elvish songs were changing from laments to praises of the brightening stars.
As she neared the central part of the camp, she realized with surprise that the background pull on her mind that was Tabrîl had relaxed this evening, indicating that the elf had come in from lurking on the edges of the camp as she had for most of the journey since they had left the forest. Though Haldis had become accustomed to always being aware of Tabrîl, actually seeing her around was still a bit of a novelty.

Hoping that the elf woman would perhaps feel like speaking tonight, Haldis made her way over and sat down next to her, though not too near, and asked, "How did you fare today?"

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 04-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #777
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

It surprised her a little that Haldis approached her, and more still when she sat, but Tabrîl did not think she meant any harm, and so looking over at her she answered, 'Well enough. I am unhurt.' It occurred to her that Haldis would probably know if it was otherwise, yet Tabrîl did not care to think too much about such matters. It was as it was.

When the fight had begun,Tabrîl's first instinct had been to protect Haldis - and Ellysa, and the others in the group who she thought were perhaps not quite capable of defending themselves, and so she had kept back, close to them, until the raiders had actually started boarding their rafts, at which point Tabrîl had drawn her sword and done everything in her power to stop them, demonstrating a level of skill in combat that only long familiarity and many centuries of practise could bring.

She had not spoken to anyone since reaching the shore, preferring to reflect alone on what had happened. Quickleaf was dead, and Tabrîl could not say this particularly grieved her. She had also noted the skill that new elf - Barufiniel, was it? - had with the bow, and that, she thought, was something worth remembering. Tabrîl, of course, had her own opinions about the readiness with which this group adopted new companions, but she was also well aware of how little those opinions meant to them, and so kept them to herself.

'And you?' she asked Haldis, almost as an afterthought. 'You are not overtired? You must tell me, if you are.' She had discovered all too quickly the link between the mortal woman's wellbeing and her own, and it was a worry to her.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:07 AM   #778
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis chuckled softly and shook her head, "Just normal tired," she said, "I am very used to calling bees, it was not taxing. The only danger was that raiders might board while my mind was occupied, but you fought well, as did the archers."

They lapsed into silence and just sat, until Haldis noticed that Tabrîl kept looking over at the latest addition to the company.

"Do you approve of her?" she asked, curious to know Tabrîl's opinion, though she expected it would be as it had been regarding every other person to join the company, "She says she is from west across the mountains. She was in front of us on the raft today - that we are both unharmed speaks well of her skill with that bow she carries - am I right?"

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 04-12-2009, 04:51 AM   #779
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'That I am unharmed,' Tabrîl corrected her, 'proves that my choices in that battle were not wrong. Had it been otherwise, I should have only myself to blame for it.' She did not consider herself indebted to this new elf, and had stayed back at first not out of fear of the enemy archers, but the need to be sure the others were kept safe. It did not bother her, however, that this had escaped Haldis' notice. In fact, she thought she preferred it that way, it took away the need to explain her atypical behavior, a conversation that would almost certainly be very awkward for her.

'And,' she continued quickly, 'I hardly think that my approval, or lack of it, should matter a bit to her. It is not my decision whether or not she travels with us.' Tabrîl did not approve, of course, but then she could not in good conscience approve of any of them. As a group they were too loud, too reckless and far too unpredictable, and she was sure that sooner or later that combination would lead to disaster. Making the group even larger did not improve the situation.

She was silent then for a long moment, watching Barufiniel, wondering if the other elf was aware of her scrutiny, and when she spoke again, her voice was a little lower, a little more gentle. 'It is true, though,' she said. 'She has a degree of skill with that bow. I did not expect it.' The new elf's ability did not come close to that of a trained archer of the Kindi, at least in Tabrîl's estimation, but she had a fair amount of it all the same, and so this statement, from Tabrîl, was as close to a compliment as she was likely to come.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #780
The Sasquatch of Fangorn
The Co-president of Entmoot - The Half-Dwarven Guardian of the Ancient Forest

Borin sat in a corner whittling and whistling while he smoked his pipe.

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Thanks for breaking up the group Yoko!"- The reduced Shakespeare company.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly on the road to victory.
Closed Thread