Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #761
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
The hypocrisy is that we treat those we know well as individuals and those we don't as a group, but that's not exclusive to christians.
That's not hypocrisy. That's human nature. That's what makes all that 'societal good' you like. Nothing more certainly a human creation than loyalty to tribe.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #762
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
That's not hypocrisy. That's human nature. That's what makes all that 'societal good' you like. Nothing more certainly a human creation than loyalty to tribe.
True, though I'd simply say that hypocrisy is a part human nature.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #763
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
True, though I'd simply say that hypocrisy is a part human nature.
LOL Santa's gonna leave you coal, cynical one.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 12-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #764
inked
Elf Lord

Hypocrisy on the media's part, yes, BJ..........

See here: http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...4/442sdgnu.asp

Lovely instance of spin, as we say in the States. The liberals cannot reveal the true extent of reaction to the Teddy Bear Debacle in Islamic states because it undermines their valuation of it. That makes liberals look bad, poor judges of character et alia, and WE CAN'T HAVE THAT! It might get the masses thinking - exactly what a liberal does NOT want. It threatens their belief system. Which must be preserved at all costs, despite logic, despite evidence.....

Now, you were saying about hypocrisy......
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #765
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Arg, those liberal media types. Those would be the same ones who plastered the story all over the front page of every newspaper in the world, then?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #766
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
It might get the masses thinking - exactly what a liberal does NOT want. It threatens their belief system. Which must be preserved at all costs, despite logic, despite evidence.....
Speaking of spin and hypocrisy... You should direct this statement toward Rush Limbaugh conservatives not liberals. Last time I checked "question authority" was NOT a slogan of the far right. Go back to your no spin zone...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #767
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
LOL Santa's gonna leave you coal, cynical one.
Actually, he's a hypocrit too. No matter how bad you are, he still leaves you gifts.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #768
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Hypocrisy on the media's part, yes, BJ..........

See here: http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...4/442sdgnu.asp

Lovely instance of spin, as we say in the States. The liberals cannot reveal the true extent of reaction to the Teddy Bear Debacle in Islamic states because it undermines their valuation of it. That makes liberals look bad, poor judges of character et alia, and WE CAN'T HAVE THAT! It might get the masses thinking - exactly what a liberal does NOT want. It threatens their belief system. Which must be preserved at all costs, despite logic, despite evidence.....

Now, you were saying about hypocrisy......
"The liberals""? "Islamic states"?? "the masses thinking"???

I'll quote myself...

Quote:
The hypocrisy is that we treat those we know well as individuals and those we don't as a group.
Every day in America, hundreds (probably thousands) of citizens spend their day protesting in front of abortion clinics. A few of these cases have lead to violence and even death. Does that make America a violent christian state?

What about the 60-70% of the population who are willing to live and let live?

There is definitely less freedom and more oppression in many islamic states, but that is a result of the leadership. There are plenty of oppressive christian states as well.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #769
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Actually, he's a hypocrit too. No matter how bad you are, he still leaves you gifts.
I don't know about that. I've never been bad.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 12-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #770
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Every day in America, hundreds (probably thousands) of citizens spend their day protesting in front of abortion clinics. A few of these cases have lead to violence and even death. Does that make America a violent christian state?
Actally, this isn't true. The protests are occasionally loud, but don't involve thousands everyday. The much ballyhooed "40 days for Life" process didn't even turn out a big crowd. http://www.iamemilyx.blogspot.com/ They're annoying, but not numerous.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 12-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #771
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

BJ, Islamic states have sharia law or Muslim religious law implemented in the government. It has religious law enforced. There aren't any Christian states anymore that implement the Bible in law in the same way. We've all secularized. There used to be Christian states in the same sense as there are Islamic states, but the modern "Christian states" don't fit that definition. The fact that the majority of a country might claim to be Christian does not make the state they belong to a "Christian state" if it's secularized. You might say it's a "state with a generally Christian population," though, if you like.

Oppression also does not always come "from the leadership" when sharia law is implemented in the government. If you changed the regime, the new regime might be just as likely to implement sharia law and persecute religious minorities. Sometimes, this is just done to keep the populace happy. There is a connection between persecution in the Middle East and Islamic culture in the region. There are many causes for persecution and radicalism, but persecution of minorities certainly does not all originate in the leadership.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 12-07-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #772
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
The hypocrisy is that we treat those we know well as individuals and those we don't as a group, but that's not exclusive to christians.
I find this sentence ironic. In the same breath that you complain about treatment of "those we know well as individuals and those we don't as a group," you blame "Christians" generally for being hypocritical.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:12 PM   #773
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Actually, I think don't think he's generalising about Christians. He's just too polite to particularise it...
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #774
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Lol.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #775
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Actally, this isn't true. The protests are occasionally loud, but don't involve thousands everyday. The much ballyhooed "40 days for Life" process didn't even turn out a big crowd. http://www.iamemilyx.blogspot.com/ They're annoying, but not numerous.
Every clinic I know of up here has a regular crew that protests outside. Assuming that this is true most everywhere, I'm sure there are a few thousand each day.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:10 PM   #776
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
He's just too polite to particularise it...
Yep, I know who I mean.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:13 PM   #777
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Every clinic I know of up here has a regular crew that protests outside. Assuming that this is true most everywhere, I'm sure there are a few thousand each day.
Your assumption is incorrect. Bad sample, probably.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 12-10-2007, 09:56 PM   #778
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Lol.

Becoming a man and learning the truth of brevity, heh?

Thanks for the Birthday wishes, Lief - you were the only one that did.

best BB
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:28 AM   #779
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
Becoming a man and learning the truth of brevity, heh?
Lol! You could say that . Sometimes .

Old 12-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #780
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
Thanks for the Birthday wishes, Lief - you were the only one that did.

best BB
I must have missed it!

Happy birthday you scurvy fool!