Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 12:40 AM   #761
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*ttthhppttt* I just dont feel like posting the race...well, I do, but I can wait. I have other things I need to do first.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:53 AM   #762
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
*puts on her bun protectors*

Grey Wolf - I meant the attack to be on the way BACK to Tharbad - I didn't make that clear enough, sorry! For now, could you have them just see him ride by in the distance, but too far to catch? Maybe they'll decide to hang out around there and see if other riders come by or something, or see if he'll come back. Thanks! And are you sure you want to kill off those two? You can make it some other ones if you want to.
Of course there can be other wolves in the mountain pack who's on the prowl and finding other riders..

But you did notice the DAY (being two days after yours), didn't you? He could be on his way BACK.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:15 AM   #763
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Great posts, Udu and CS !

I loved your mention of the "vast chasm between mortals and Nazgul" and the runaway horse, Udu. And CS's recollection of Umbar.
Yes indeed the acute sense of smell must make their lives more difficult.

Will Lilly and Udu meet while shopping?
Old 11-19-2005, 06:25 AM   #764
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I was always taught that wine tasting involved spitting the wine out after sampling it. It is nice to see that Jas and his two drinking fellows don't let it go to waste.

Although I am a little curious to see a Nurn wine on their table. Did Gondoreans go into Mordor to set up wine plantations? And would there already be crops of them so "shortly" after the demise of Sauron? Unless they merely took over the plantations the nazgul had there. I'm inclined to think not, but if I got my history mixed up, please correct me.

Quote:
Eärniel - go ahead and edit in whatever you want to in my most recent post. We hope you'll sing for us! (and perhaps complement Alagos on his singing? .... He does sing well, you know, and ... well ... he IS pretty good-looking!)
Well, if you want her too, she will.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:18 PM   #765
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Eärniel - It's post 524 - go ahead and edit it in, if you want to.
On second thought, maybe it would be better for you to write your own post and I'll edit in something in my post that will match up with it. Let me know what you choose and I'll act accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Wolf
- Of course there can be other wolves in the mountain pack who's on the prowl and finding other riders..
It's your choice, let me know - it's just that I liked their names so much, I didn't want them to die! But that was just a silly reaction, and you go ahead and do what you want.

Quote:
But you did notice the DAY (being two days after yours), didn't you? He could be on his way BACK.
Yes, but I couldn't possibly write that far ahead rpg-wise. It'll have to wait a bit, I guess - but it will be fun when it's time! *Tyaron sharpens his sword and dagger*

EDIT - I just noticed your edited post - Black Coat and Red Fury - I feel much better about those two getting killed off!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-19-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #766
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I was always taught that wine tasting involved spitting the wine out after sampling it. It is nice to see that Jas and his two drinking fellows don't let it go to waste.
I am not an expert on wine-tasting but... spitting? One must really dislike wine to spit it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Although I am a little curious to see a Nurn wine on their table. Did Gondoreans go into Mordor to set up wine plantations? And would there already be crops of them so "shortly" after the demise of Sauron? Unless they merely took over the plantations the nazgul had there. I'm inclined to think not, but if I got my history mixed up, please correct me.
The Nurn wine is AU, I believe, not canon. But very probably that vines grew at Nurn always, before, during and after Sauron.

Nurn is known to be an agricultural region:
Quote:
Neither he nor Frodo knew anything of the great slave-worked fields away south in this wide realm, beyond the fumes of the Mountain by the dark sad waters of Lake Núrnen; nor of the great roads that ran away east and south to tributary lands, from which the soldiers of the Tower brought long waggon-trains of goods and booty and fresh slaves. Here in the northward regions were the mines and forges, and the musterings of long-planned war.
We are not told about vines specifically, but why not? All the Mordorean population had to drink something, all the Black Numenoreans, Easterlings and Haradrim in the Dark Tower. Yes, and the nazgul.

Now Gondor has occupied Mordor, including the Nurnen region. There was no open war that far south, so the plantations were intact. Would the Gondoreans burn vines, or crop fields in their newly acquired lands? Hardly.

I believe, most of the wine made in Nurn at the beginning of the TA will be sold in Gondor, some exported to Arnor, some to Khand or Harad..
Old 11-19-2005, 08:15 PM   #767
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Guys, what is the matter? Why so many of you STOPPED POSTING?
VALANDIL??? Lotesse?? Maggie?? Shah?

Udu, I made Lilly meet you. Please, write the follow-up. You may write Lilly's part as well, she is not complicated at all. Just an ordinary very happy she-ringwraith. Yes, and make her tell you Khamul is leaving (another reason for happiness!).
Love your posts!
CS.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:42 PM   #768
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I think the spitting is so that you can keep your senses about you when you're wine-tasting, as opposed to trying to get drunk. I don't think you try to spit it across the room or anything I think you just spit it out.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-19-2005, 09:51 PM   #769
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Crazy Squirrel, wonderful new post! It really put me there, especially combined with Udu's also excellent runaway horse post. Sorry I haven't been posting, it's getting harder for me lately what with my RL complications, like getting sick, still not having a home computer (for that matter, still living in the hotel), having other stuff really on my mind distracting me from our story, stuff like that. This laptop I borrow at my man's office is prone to totally unexpected shutdowns, and so I'm always paranoid it'll crash when I'm in the middle of a post, like right now for instance - I hope it doesn't crash right now. It's done it to me a few times. My boyfriend's using his main computer all the time, so it's not so easy for me to get time on his good computer, and have that time coincide with a creatively inspired moment, stuff like that. But you guys, I'm not gonna leave the story or anything; it's just taking a lot longer than I ever anticipated to get settled in a new real home again. It is HELLA depressing but I try not and dwell on it. Things could be a lot worse. Still, I hope we have a new house before Christmas. I want a little Christmas tree.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 11-19-2005, 11:03 PM   #770
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Great posts, Udu and CS !

I loved your mention of the "vast chasm between mortals and Nazgul" and the runaway horse, Udu.
Thank you, Gordis.

Lotesse, hope you get your own place and that Christmas tree soon.

CS, if there is anything I wrote that you don't want, just give me the word and I will edit.

There have not been many posts the past few days. All those absent are missed.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:49 PM   #771
Rían

I second that! ("all those absent are missed")

Udu - fun ref. to Melian and Thingol! Are they universally admired among the Nazgul?

Eärniel - I had a thought re our PM, and I decided to send rpg-Rian to the jeweler's, then I just saw that Udu and Lilly are there - that could be interesting ... Let me know if you want me to edit, please, or just to kill it altogether and do the conversation later.

Old 11-20-2005, 01:41 AM   #772
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Guys, what is the matter? Why so many of you STOPPED POSTING?
VALANDIL??? Lotesse?? Maggie?? Shah?

CS.

For me, its hte holidays, and I have no inclination to post just now, Maggie is back in Seattle, with her family for turkey day, Valandil...Well, it's Valandil, he will get his royal rear in gear and post when he so wants to. And Lotesse is moving. That pretty much sums it up.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:07 AM   #773
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Its funny... because Lotesse hasn't posted, Shah can't complete her race post. Until Shah posts that, Ray and Viv can't get to their Jewelry Class... so Maggie isn't posting... such a lot of people waiting for each other!

I also miss the absentees... esp, Valandil, who has been gone since that talking-sword post...

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 11-20-2005, 03:43 AM   #774
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

OK everyone - I've been a little swamped. And... maybe short on inspiration. I just wasn't sure where to take things or what to do.

Anyway - I have just now at last edited POST #443 (the 'sword post'), and also filled in my placeholder POST #488 - so I have those updates. Sorry to send you all so deep back into the thread, and I hope everyone will be OK with things as I now have them.

I hope to get something else up soon - but not right now.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 11-20-2005, 03:45 AM   #775
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Udu - fun ref. to Melian and Thingol! Are they universally admired among the Nazgul?
Rian, Thingol and Melian did stand there for a long time. Perhaps we should admire their staying ability.

Looks like the jewelry shop on the Street of Hours is becoming the center of attention.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:17 AM   #776
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Eärniel

It's your choice, let me know - it's just that I liked their names so much, I didn't want them to die! But that was just a silly reaction, and you go ahead and do what you want.

Yes, but I couldn't possibly write that far ahead rpg-wise. It'll have to wait a bit, I guess - but it will be fun when it's time! *Tyaron sharpens his sword and dagger*

But, perhaps we can co-ordinate something after all

EDIT - I just noticed your edited post - Black Coat and Red Fury - I feel much better about those two getting killed off!
Yeah, they're a couple of rogue wolves, needing a nip in the tail. So! Okey-dokey!

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 11-20-2005 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:10 AM   #777
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
I am not an expert on wine-tasting but... spitting? One must really dislike wine to spit it...
Well, if I'm not mistaken the point was to taste several wines but to prevent getting drunk (because then most people wouldn't be able to drive home). So they spit most out in buckets or so after having tasted it. Dunno if that's common practise though, that's just how I always heard it.

Quote:
Now Gondor has occupied Mordor, including the Nurnen region. There was no open war that far south, so the plantations were intact. Would the Gondoreans burn vines, or crop fields in their newly acquired lands? Hardly.
Dunno, it just struck me as 'not done' for the Gondoreans to occupy Mordor beyond the limits of building guard towers and keeping the black land under surveillance. I can hardly see them wanting to actually live in Mordor, start taking its crops and selling those as delicacies... But I see that is just solely my point of view.

Quote:
Eärniel - I had a thought re our PM, and I decided to send rpg-Rian to the jeweler's, then I just saw that Udu and Lilly are there - that could be interesting ... Let me know if you want me to edit, please, or just to kill it altogether and do the conversation later.
You're a little hasty for my slow entliness. Hoom! And I think the conversation is indeed best done at a later time, but if you do want it now, I'll adapt it. Of course since I still have to define and write most of it, it is (like I said in PM) going to take some time to get there.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:35 PM   #778
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
OK everyone - I've been a little swamped. And... maybe short on inspiration. I just wasn't sure where to take things or what to do.

Anyway - I have just now at last edited POST #443 (the 'sword post'), and also filled in my placeholder POST #488 - so I have those updates. Sorry to send you all so deep back into the thread, and I hope everyone will be OK with things as I now have them.

I hope to get something else up soon - but not right now.
Thanks, Valandil. The sword is still a bit talkative and too "human", but that's up to you. Its info is OK now, or so I think. Thanks for posting. Please post more soon!

Rian, I don't remember whether I answered your question or not. Anyway keep your Gondolin dialect secret, if you like. OK with me.

Udu, Great post. Lilly is perfectly in character!

Lotesse, send your boyfriend shopping and use his computer! POOOOST, please!
Old 11-20-2005, 04:17 PM   #779
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Hey all! Sorry for the long wait; Lack of inspiration, a cross country flight from virginia to seattle, and much socializing with family conspired to keep me away.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 11-20-2005, 04:33 PM   #780
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*lurklurklurk* Mwahaha! My cloaking device has been fixed! I shall haunt you all! Mwahahahahah! BTW, very apt observation Serenoli!
Closed Thread