Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #761
orithil
Captain Jack

Hedrim sat down, he looked up "its good" he said. "...if you can compare to warriors I know" Hedrim heard Elyssa say, haha this should be good thought Hedrim.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #762
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl had been about to refuse Nami's offer without a second thought when Ellysa approached them. Although she was unsure what the girl was saying, making out only the odd word here and there, she was very young, and Tabrîl could not in good conscience just ignore her.

'Will one of you tell me what she says?' she asked. Between them, Abasi, Haldis and Nami ought to have that knowledge. The admission that she did not was not an easy one, for language was one of the fields Tabrîl was permitted to study, but she could not hide her ignorance.

Giving Ellysa a slight smile, she turned so that the young woman could see her bag, filled with food, and the fact that she did not need Ellysa's own. She faced her again, and gave a gesture of thanks, though she did not know if it would be understood. She could not take insult, not from one who seemed barely out of childhood and certainly no warrior.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #763
Mari
Elf Lady

Ellysa tried to understand Tabril as she spoke, but she could not figure out the language. However she did not miss Tabril's soft expression and the gesture of polite refusal.
Still, she decided to await a translation, looking hopeful towards Haldis and Nami.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #764
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

It appeared that Tabrîl's refusal was lost on Ellysa, as she stood there before them still. There was no way to tell her, Tabrîl realized, and as a matter of habit she made the signs that among her people meant speech was not possible. She had not been told to learn the languages of the mortals that dwelt near her latest home, although she knew some of the younger warriors had done so. There was little need for it, few words to say to them.

This girl, however - instinct told Tabrîl she was of the ka'marein, if she was anything. One of those who kept and cared for their home, who watched and raised the children, and those who were too young yet to have been chosen for another path. One of those who to the Kindi were valued enough that even to speak of them to outsiders was rarely permitted. Yet here she was, travelling with the rest of them, and Tabrîl felt there was a terrible shame in that, that her people had not seen to her protection. Uwindi ka'marein might not be alike to their own, but they could not be utterly different, and Ellysa's presence here seemed somehow wrong to her.

Even if she was right in her assumptions, however, there was little Tabrîl could do to alter matters, and so she tried again, this time signing that she did not require assistance. It was highly unlikely to make sense to the girl, m'haid-code, this she knew, but it seemed the right thing, to try.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #765
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis, seeing Ellysa's eagerness and Tabrîl's obvious confusion, took pity on the stilted conversation and translated Ellysa's invitation to Tabrîl,
"She says that this is a traditional soup, and that among her people, warriors challange each other by adding hot spice to it and seeing who can endure the strongest heat. She says that you are welcome to share it, and also to partake in that tradition if you wish,"
Haldis paused, accepting a bowl on her own behalf and tasting it cautiously, "It seems good," she said in Sindarin, "I can taste nothing in it that we would be forbidden to eat."
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #766
The Sasquatch of Fangorn
The Co-president of Entmoot - The Half-Dwarven Guardian of the Ancient Forest

Borin saw the rain coming and ran onto his tent. "Why on earth would anyone want to stay out in this horrible display of mother nature?!"

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Thanks for breaking up the group Yoko!"- The reduced Shakespeare company.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly on the road to victory.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:58 AM   #767
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

This was perplexing. An odd sort of challenge, no purpose to it that Tabrîl could see, and she did not know why Ellysa brought it to her. She was not of her people.

'Tell her I will not,' she said to Haldis. 'That I am long past the need to prove myself in ways such as this.' The weight of her honors was evidence enough of that, she did not need uwindi rituals to reaffirm her status.

'But tell her gently,' Tabrîl added, for she could not be sure how Haldis would translate, and knew from experience how quickly differing shades of meaning could lead to misunderstanding. She refused, yes, but only as to accept was not necessary.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:11 AM   #768
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis turned to Ellysa, "She will drink some soup, but respectfully declines the spice as she believes it would overpower the subtler flavors evoked by your skill in the making."
That last and the promise that Tabrîl would have a bowl was entirely Haldis' own, but Tabrîl had said to make it gentle, not how. Haldis accepted a second bowl and handed it to the elf, switching back to Sindarin, "There is no spice, nor challange, but do eat one bowl, at least. It puts you under no obligation and doing so would please the child."

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-13-2008, 02:40 AM   #769
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'If you are certain it does not,' Tabrîl answered cautiously. There was something amiss here. 'I did not tell you to take a bowl for me, Haldis.' There was nothing in what she had said to indicate that had been her intention, and she wondered how Haldis had reached that conclusion. It would be more difficult for her to decline again, now.

Perhaps, though, she would not have to. It was only her own restrictions and not m'haid-law that kept her from accepting, and in truth Tabrîl was rather hungry. She did not like to think of the time it would take her to prepare her own meal, this late into the evening, and she was certain that even if she did, it would not taste as good as Ellysa's soup would. Cooking was not the responsibility of the m'haid, and while Tabrîl could manage, as she usually could when there was no other option, she was not good at it.

It was with this line of thought that she took the bowl from Haldis, though the look she gave her was still one of disapproval.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:59 AM   #770
Mari
Elf Lady

At hearing Haldis' words Ellysa's face lit up and even more so when Tabril took the soup. "Have a good new year, filled with trials to overcome in good health!" she wished Tabril.

Turning to Haldis and Nami she said: "Thank you for translating, Haldis. You are very kind. Nami, shall we go have our own soup now? We didn't miss someone, did we?"

Ellysa almost started to skip over to the soup, but just in time she remembered her position so instead she just walked while smiling happily.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #771
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Seeing Ellysa's delight when she took the bowl, Tabrîl put aside her reservations and sipped a little of the soup. It was the best-tasting food she had come across since leaving home, and she was pleasantly surprised by this. Her satisfaction must have been obvious to Ellysa, who said something else to her then. Even if the meaning eluded Tabrîl, the sentiment did not, and she smiled and gave thanks in her own language before Ellysa walked off.

The soup was as filling as it was appetizing, and once she had finished her bowl, Tabrîl was indeed content. 'I will go now to rest,' she told the others that she stood with, and went off to the little patch of the camp she had claimed as her own. It still rained, however, and so she did not sleep, but adopted a meditative posture, kneeling with her hands rested in her lap.

It was a way to clear her mind, to put aside the doubts that had gathered there, fears that should have no place in her thoughts. She was without guidance, yes, without m'haidati or in'kasha or any of the seth'in to tell her what she ought to do. Yet she had direction, to follow this group, wherever it might lead her, and that would have to be enough. It was enough. It was something she could keep to, and not falter in, and that was all she required.

Under her breath she began another of the old recitations, the tales of the first of her people, who had themselves overcome confusion and adversity to accomplish much. As she said the words, older than this forest, than memory itself, the repeating chants with their layers of meaning, Tabrîl became once again at peace with herself, utterly and unshakably m'had'i, and this refreshed her perhaps more than any amount of sleep could have.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #772
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami turned to Tabril and translated Ellysa's last words before turning back and following Ellysa. Picking up two bowls she handed one to Quickleaf and sat down with him and Ellysa by the fire, enjoying good food and good company.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #773
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine took a sip of the soup Ellysa had made. It was like nothing she had tasted before.
"Ellysa! This is great!" she said. "I've never tasted anything like it!" Aelfwine was sitting next to Ellysa, Nami and Quickleaf by the fire. The rain was still falling, but she didn't care. She was with good friends. It reminded her of happier times, before her father was called to join the Riders. She pushed that memory away and thought of a distant night when she, her father and siblings were enjoying a meal together.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 05-14-2008, 06:15 AM   #774
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quickleaf thought the soup tasted delicious, and complimented Ellysa on her cooking.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #775
Mari
Elf Lady

Ellysa was happy to sit with the others, but now the excitement of the day caught up with her and she had to yawn. Upon hearing the compliments she smiled and yawned again.
"I'm glad you liked it! *yawn* Thank you *yawn* Aelf...wi...ne..., Quick...lea...f..." and she was asleep.

Last edited by Mari : 05-14-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #776
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami smiled as Ellysa feel asleep. Standing up she placed a blanket gentally on the young girls shoulders. With a full stomach and a smile on her face Nami turned to the others. "I'm going to take a leaf out of her book! Good night".
Walking to the spot her had made her temperary bed, Nami pulled a blanket over her self and went to sleep.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #777
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis eyed the damp ground with irratation, glad she had gotten some sleep earlier when it was still dry. It was too late now to bother setting up anything to keep the rain off, for with the ground already wet, anyone sleeping would wake up damp anyhow.

Finally she gave up trying to glare the ground into drying and shook out her bedroll, placing it and a patch of earth that seemed slightly less wet and, curling herself atop it, huddle in her cloak, fell asleep.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #778
The Sasquatch of Fangorn
The Co-president of Entmoot - The Half-Dwarven Guardian of the Ancient Forest

Borin, at this point was already asleep. He fell asleep while cowering in fear of the rain.

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Thanks for breaking up the group Yoko!"- The reduced Shakespeare company.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly on the road to victory.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #779
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

After slurping his soup with a reed-straw, Carnehillion was privately happy for setting up prior to rain falling. Nice and dry, he too settled down to sleep after putting salve on his burnt face and tending to his horse.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #780
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine unrolled her bedroll and was soon asleep herself

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Closed Thread