Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 08:04 PM   #761
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Nice post Rian. I will reply to it tomorrow.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 12-22-2005, 08:04 PM   #762
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
But what with the mind projecting? That bothers me a little. We have to agree, can two persons have a mental conversation without opening (at least partly) their minds to each other?

What do you think, Val? And you also, Udu, our Osanwe Kenta expert?
Gordis, that is a difficult question to answer, because the very essence of Osanwe-kenta, at least to be of any use, requires the mind to be "open," which Penegolodh tells us is the natural condition of Elves and Men, with Elves of course being the more inclined to use Osanwe-kenta.

If either the two parties senses that the other should be attempting to deceive while engaged in mind conversation, it is obvious from the below that that individual can exercise "Unwill" and retreat from the other's mind. No mortal, elf or vala can intrude where Unwill is exercised. However, in my opinion, should the hroa (body) be in such a state of distress, ie being tortured, the person might feel that it is better for the sake of avoiding pain to let the other read his or her mind.

"'Openness' is the natural or simple state (indo) of a mind that is not otherwise engaged. In 'Arda Unmarred' (that is, in ideal conditions free from evil)_openness would be the normal state. Nonetheless any mind may be closed (pahta). This requires an act of conscious will: Unwill (avanir). It may be made against G, against G and some others, or be a total retreat into 'privacy' (aquapahtie).
"Though in 'Arda Unmarred' openness is the normal state, every mind has, from its first making as an individual, the right to close; and it has absolute power to make this effective by will. Nothing can penetrate the barrier of Unwill."

Does this answer the question?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:06 PM   #763
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Gordis, I loved the Miriel's mouth agape like a fish taken out of the water, and that Ilmenzor would cease breathing entirely had he not needed the breath to speak with, hating the smells so much. That was cool!
Thanks, Lotesse.
I believe that is what the nazgul usually did when dealing with orcs, trolls and Fell Beasts.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:19 PM   #764
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Rian - nice comeback 2 Khamul! I like the tone Rian takes, going from hot to cold with contained and hugely miffed fury. I wonder when those two will actually start throwing punches; theyu both hate each other so much! Or actually, I have a feeling that Rian hates Khamul more than the other way around. I think Khamul doesn't really have love & hate emotions, per sey, but I could be wrong - he's not mine.

Shah - I don't know where to have Viv & Ray meet up. I'm kinda lost for an idea right now. I guess I want to wait a minute and see how the RPG Tuesday's gonna play out. If you have some ideas, PM me; I'll be around off & on for the rest of the afternoon.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 12-22-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:20 PM   #765
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
Gordis, that is a difficult question to answer, because the very essence of Osanwe-kenta, at least to be of any use, requires the mind to be "open," which Penegolodh tells us is the natural condition of Elves and Men, with Elves of course being the more inclined to use Osanwe-kenta.

If either the two parties senses that the other should be attempting to deceive while engaged in mind conversation, it is obvious from the below that that individual can exercise "Unwill" and retreat from the other's mind. No mortal, elf or vala can intrude where Unwill is exercised. However, in my opinion, should the hroa (body) be in such a state of distress, ie being tortured, the person might feel that it is better for the sake of avoiding pain to let the other read his or her mind.

"'Openness' is the natural or simple state (indo) of a mind that is not otherwise engaged. In 'Arda Unmarred' (that is, in ideal conditions free from evil)_openness would be the normal state. Nonetheless any mind may be closed (pahta). This requires an act of conscious will: Unwill (avanir). It may be made against G, against G and some others, or be a total retreat into 'privacy' (aquapahtie).
"Though in 'Arda Unmarred' openness is the normal state, every mind has, from its first making as an individual, the right to close; and it has absolute power to make this effective by will. Nothing can penetrate the barrier of Unwill."

Does this answer the question?
Thanks, Udu. I am not sure though, what it means in our particular case. Could you be more specific?

We are not in Arda Unmarred...

As I see it (though I am NOT sure I am right):

The ML's mind is closed of course, almost completely, by default. I think he opens it slightly for a particular person, always another nazgul, just to unable the passage of thoughts. And being more powerful he opens only a small portion of his mind.
But I am afraid, if he tries to talk to Val, even that small portion of ML's mind, which Valandil would be able to "FEEL", would appear too evil and powerful to feel normal..

Of course, in LOTR he projected thoughts (e.g. to Frodo, when he ordered him to stop at the Ford), but then he was not concerned with remaining incognito.
So . I would say no talking with Val is possible.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:24 PM   #766
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Quote:
Maybe Maggie could have it out with Khamul and the Chancellor over this, if you guys want to.
Hah! I was waiting for an opening like that, and dithering over asking for one...
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 12-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #767
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
How so?
The library is in Minas Aran Tower, Elvish books on the third floor there. Rian and Sapthan are talking near the fountain IN FRONT of the library, but NOT in the library. So if it were a library book, it had been misplaced or stolen.
Oh, I thought you were talking about when Rian and Earniel were in the library yesterday, looking at books.

Well, since she was with the assistant librarian, and for other reasons, I don't see how that charge would hold, but we'll see, if you guys want to go that route.

ps - I liked that breathing thing, too! Interesting concept!

TD - thanks! But I can't think of what there would possibly be in a book of verses made by her father and mother and in her possession since it was given to her. But I can see how Khamul would want to investigate it - from his POV, who knows what's in that book? But I can ALSO see how Rian would not let that happen, unless over her dead body! Well, we'll see how it plays out, I guess!

Udu - how is Sapthan going to react to this? I hope you can post!

And re the Val mind thing - that took me back at first, too, until I realized that Val thinks the guy is his cousin or whatever, and friendly to him. But it's up to the people involved.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:40 PM   #768
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Rian - nice comeback 2 Khamul! I like the tone Rian takes, going from hot to cold with contained and hugely miffed fury.
Thanks; she knows she's a bit of an underdog against a man who is stronger than she is and who works at the Uni, so she's going all out.

Quote:
I wonder when those two will actually start throwing punches; theyu both hate each other so much!
heehee!
"In this corner, in the silver elven trunks, Rian of Gondolin; in the other corner, in the black trunks, Khamul of Mordor!"

Quote:
Or actually, I have a feeling that Rian hates Khamul more than the other way around. I think Khamul doesn't really have love & hate emotions, per sey, but I could be wrong - he's not mine.
Yes, I think you're right on both counts. What do you say, TD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie
Hah! I was waiting for an opening like that, and dithering over asking for one...
"And wait! In the THIRD corner, in Feanorean red, is Professor Mahtaliel! and in the FOURTH corner, in Nazgul invisible trunks is the Chancellor!"

*ding ding* Let's rock! *massive dogpile in the middle of the ring*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-22-2005, 08:44 PM   #769
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
Go on, LMM! Another fight with the Chancellor! What will you choose now to bang on his desk? A hammer?
BTW, to add some fuel to your flames, make Raisa come to Mahtaliel and tell her that the Chancellor has re-assigned her to supervise the Public Library. So you are left without your fav. assistant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian
Well, since she was with the assistant librarian, and for other reasons, I don't see how that charge would hold, but we'll see, if you guys want to go that route.
It is up to TD and Udu and to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian
And re the Val mind thing - that took me back at first, too, until I realized that Val thinks the guy is his cousin or whatever, and friendly to him. But it's up to the people involved.
No, Val's post was all right. Really, Valandil adresses his cousin, why wouldn't he?
I started to discuss this matter NOT because I want Val to edit, but because I am unsure what to write in MY next post. Will the ML hear Val? Will he be able to reply?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:05 PM   #770
Rían

oh, fun! Mahtaliel showed up!

(gee, "listening" to Rian's words in Maggie's post was an eye-opener! Rian was a tad upset, wasn't she?! )

Old 12-22-2005, 09:08 PM   #771
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Well, it's entirely possible that she'll be banging Khamul's head on the desk this time. At the moment she's waiting for his response to Rian before really interefering, but if he doesn't return the book she'll be dragging him before the Chancellor demanding to know what in arda the Chancellor was thinking when he was hired.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 12-22-2005, 09:12 PM   #772
Rían

interesting threesome - Khamul, the Chancellor, and Mahtaliel, the latter having NO idea of the connection between the first two ... I wonder how the Chancellor's urge to lay low will play against everything else ...

Old 12-22-2005, 09:16 PM   #773
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Lady M, I love Mahtaliel coming in to the picture; that's ideal!

Old 12-22-2005, 09:21 PM   #774
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Hah! Well, this is turning out to be interesting!

Lotesse, What class does she and Ray share on tuesdays? (bleh, that was a tongue twister)
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 12-22-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:27 PM   #775
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Is that a rhetorical trick question? 'Cause the truth is, I'm not sure; I have to go back and double-check her class schedule.
O.K., just checked it and all she has is Military History from 4-5 pm, but who's even teaching that class? And it says only Viv is the only student in it. I was gonna have Viv audit wine-tasting, which is 4-6 pm, but now Butterbeer isn't writing anymore so, I don't know. Viv has a pretty much open day, ALL day long. She's gonna get so freakin' antsy.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:31 PM   #776
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Thanks, Udu. I am not sure though, what it means in our particular case. Could you be more specific?

We are not in Arda Unmarred...

As I see it (though I am NOT sure I am right):

The ML's mind is closed of course, almost completely, by default. I think he opens it slightly for a particular person, always another nazgul, just to unable the passage of thoughts. And being more powerful he opens only a small portion of his mind.
But I am afraid, if he tries to talk to Val, even that small portion of ML's mind, which Valandil would be able to "FEEL", would appear too evil and powerful to feel normal..

Of course, in LOTR he projected thoughts (e.g. to Frodo, when he ordered him to stop at the Ford), but then he was not concerned with remaining incognito.
So . I would say no talking with Val is possible.
Indeed, we are not in "Arda Unmarred," so this "openness of mind" is withheld. In any event, no one can "read anyone else's mind" unless the other person is willing to have his or hers read. I think that it is within the Professor's world to have varying states of openness, or like "compartments" in the mind. One can be closed while another is open.

Perhaps it works like this: One person wishes to talk to another through thought-speech. He/she sends out feelers by thought, such as, "Let me in. I wish to talk to you." The other person can either reject or accept.

If Valandil senses that the ML is not someone he wishes to talk with, he can quickly close his mind. The ML can throw out all the thought projections or suggestions he wants, but the receiver might quickly sense that the ML's intentions were less than honorable.

Does this help?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:34 PM   #777
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
Lotesse, What class does she have that both She and Ray share on tuesdays?
Gee, sounds like some word problem in maths!

Shah - check out my latest Narnia pants quote

Udu, Udu - what's Sapthan going to do at this point? Just defer to the head librarian at this point? Or let Prof. M. take over?

Old 12-22-2005, 09:36 PM   #778
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Lotesse, um, well, Ray gets off at six, so should Viv meet him at his house? She already knows where it is, since he took her to his little stable next to it to give her laslech...And he does keep his door locked, so if he finds her IN his place, he will know she is a little lock pick. Not that he'd mind having a mischievious girlfreind....
Old 12-22-2005, 09:40 PM   #779
Rían

oh, that reminds me -

Val or anyone else - where would an expert Elven archer be able to practice in town? Does Val have a practice range or something at his digs in town, or is there a range somewhere that Alagos could use? He'll kind of be in the killing time mode while his sis is taking her classes, and I'm sure he'd like to get some shooting in, and it would be fun to describe it - I have some ideas already ...

Old 12-22-2005, 09:41 PM   #780
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Well, In Ray's park that I was drawing, I kinda turned it into an abandoned training field that Marty an Ray are fixing up. A great way for Tyaron, Alagos, Ray and Marty to meet.
Closed Thread