Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 11:11 AM   #761
cian
Enting

Originally posted by RÃ*an: 'Nice to meet you, cian! I'm glad to see my thread revived with some new Tengwar writers'

Hullo!

Originally posted by RÃ*an: '... and English-mode Tengwar (or "mannish mode of Minas Tirith", as cian says) is pretty informal.'

Ahh my preciousss, we calls it 'KL III' we does -- Danny Andries is not us, but he knows much ... oh yes ... maybe more than he tells! [gollum]

Last edited by cian : 10-15-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:25 PM   #762
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by cian
Ahh my preciousss, we calls it 'KL III' we does -- Danny Andries is not us, but he knows much ... oh yes ... maybe more than he tells! [gollum]

I prefer Tolkien's description:
Quote:
There was of course no 'mode' for the representation of English. One adequate phonetically could be devised from the Feanorian system. The brief example on the title-page does not attempt to exhibit this. It is rather an example of what a man of Gondor might have produced, hesitating between the values of the letters familiar in his 'mode' and the traditional spelling of English.
But however you slice it, the writing is beautiful! I love the feeling of forming the letters, and it's fun to play with different ways of forming them (slant, no slant, downstrokes straight or left or right, etc.)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-16-2003, 07:21 AM   #763
cian
Enting

OK, but just to be clear (and not directed at you necessarily), KL III shows a possibly 'Minas Tirith-ian' mode for Sindarin of course.

(which incidentally includes an example of long carrier for anÃ*ra )

¤
Old 10-17-2003, 12:35 PM   #764
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm not smart enough to learn Sindarin , I just really enjoy writing English-mode Tengwar, it's so lovely!

You seem to know a lot on this subject - can you share any good links? Thanks

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-17-2003, 02:49 PM   #765
cian
Enting

I like website Amanye Tenceli and some of the links from there, but I think I saw that linked already, early on in the thread. There's some nice calligraphy over at Gwaith I-Phethdain too -- probably already linked in here somewhere, but here it is anyway.

http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/language.htm

Cheers

¤
Old 10-17-2003, 02:59 PM   #766
Elf Girl
Lurker

Yup, I think I linked there a few pages back. Nice, isn't it?

*drools* I wish I could do that...
Old 10-17-2003, 04:53 PM   #767
Carmen
Sapling

hullo again. :: )

thanks, guys(mooters), for answering my questions.
(cian, for the chunks of information )
(rian, you mean English mode is flexible Ae aulwaes wonted to spil wirds mae owen wae)
(grr, i cannot insert quote).

anyways, i have another: 've noticed that there are lots of words with the 'ch' cluster-thing in Sindarin. Now, I know there is x in English. What I don't know is, how can I represent it. (the 'x' sound)in Tengwar writing.

have tried 'painting' Tengwar, but it doesn't look very spectacular. will try again.

cannot see the calligraphy at 'gwaith..' (drat. )
(need an update. better yet, need new computer)

Last edited by Carmen : 10-17-2003 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:49 PM   #768
Elf Girl
Lurker

Do you mean x as in ch in Sindarin? If so, that's the third tengwa on the chart.

If you mean x as in extra, that would be the twelth tengwa.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:01 PM   #769
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Carmen
(rian, you mean English mode is flexible
It's flexible, too, but I like "informal", as in relaxed, fun, etc That's how I meant it. If you have Letters of JRR Tolkien, you can see his interesting spellings.

"X" in the English mode is "KS", written as the "K" tengwa with an S-curl hanging off of it. But I think you meant Sindarin, so that prob. won't help out.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:37 PM   #770
Elf Girl
Lurker

But on Amanye Tenceli, the third one down on the right is labeled x... To lazy to check RotK right now though.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:12 PM   #771
Rían

But remember that those are phonetic/phonemic symbols for sounds, not actual letters (check out, for example, the third one down on the left, #9 - it's the Greek theta, which stands for the "th" sound).

I have that "x" character as standing for the German "ch" sound.

JRRT himself used "KS" for the "X" sound in his letters (letter #118) in the word "explanations". This word also includes a lovely s-curl on the end!

Old 10-22-2003, 01:14 PM   #772
Rían

...and just checked RotK - it's "CH" there, too

Any new samples, anyone? I have a new scanner and don't have it going yet

Old 11-11-2003, 01:28 PM   #773
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Tengwar

I'm afraid to say I haven't worked any Tengwar since last i posted in this thread. I need to spend more time on it.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:53 PM   #774
Elf Girl
Lurker

I put up a pretty version of Elbereth (I do do that one a lot, don't I?) on my site here. Although to squeeze it in I had to take all the other songs down.

Last edited by Elf Girl : 11-12-2003 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:33 AM   #775
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Re: Tengwar

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowdog
I'm afraid to say I haven't worked any Tengwar since last i posted in this thread. I need to spend more time on it.
Me either. I'd really love to start writing in Tengwar and reading everyone else's messages to each other again. *Reminisces* Oy, let's go round up all those Tengwar-writers and go mad! Rian, Ruinel etc, do you hear me?

Very nice, Elf Girl. Must have taken you a lot of time and effort.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:50 AM   #776
Elf Girl
Lurker

Thanky.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:18 PM   #777
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

ok, so I"M doing a Tolkien theme for my Senior Show (to get my B.F.A) and as part of it I am going to have a 3 illustrations of different Silmarillion characters (Fëanáro, Arien, and Varda) now...I have also decided to include their names on the illustration written using the tengwar and in the Quenya mode using the Quenya letters/sounds. I haev already written them out but I want to see if anyone else here can write them out and post them so I can see if I was right in the way I wrtoe them. I would write them out now but the computer I'm on now doesn't have the font that I have at home. Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 11-19-2003, 11:13 AM   #778
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

My very first stab at writing in decent Tengwar-characters. Is it readable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tengwar.jpg (8.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-19-2003, 01:11 PM   #779
Rían

Arien - sorry, I don't know Quenya mode can't help you.

Eärniel - that's absolutely gorgeous!!! I really like your style. I really HATE the small attachment size, tho, and am having trouble reading it. What is the first word? I can't tell what the vowel is, and I can't tell if it's a tengwa and a carrier or just one tengwa. Could you start me off with a few of the first words so I could get the hang of your style? (the letters run together when it's reduced like that, and it's hard to tell them apart)

Also, I'm sad to say I'm so rusty now that I have to get my chart out!

Old 11-19-2003, 05:05 PM   #780
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Arien- I know Quenya mode.
Very lovely letters, Earniel!

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Closed Thread