Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #761
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thanks, guys - I hope it helps, too. He's still kind of "yeah, I'm attending this class because my wife thinks I have a problem". I'm hoping the counselors will see thru that - it's probably a pretty common thing to say (and it's not only me that sees his problem - it's many people - even his dad has commented, which is amazing, because his dad thinks that he (my husband) is only about one step below God ... )

It's tough to find the balance between protecting myself and my kids by confronting it, and giving a man who has been a great husband for over 20 years some slack as he's working thru some awful stuff ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 08-04-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #762
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

That is a tough balance. Don't worry about what he's saying to the people.... saying something like that is a dead giveaway. If he didn't have a problem, he would be in there accepting blame for things and saying "what can I do to be better?" Not "I'm just here because my wife thinks something's wrong." That is such classic buck-passing behavior.

Plus keep in mind that you can only hide your personality for so long. His issues will become obvious in short order... especially to a trained pro. Or even a good amateur.

*hugs*
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #763
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

A tough balance indeed, Rian. I'll pray for both of you *hugs*

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #764
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

My friend who was going to lend me p90x apparently just had copies of the p90x her brother had bought... so I refrained from borrowing them. I got some eyerolls, but it would really bother my morals (particularly as a musician) to use "pirated" material. My friends think I'm an uptight nut, but at least I can sleep at night.

Unfortunately now I need to figure something else out. I was really hoping for something I could just pop into the DVD player and hit "play", but since that's not happening Imma try to work out a weight lifting routine. It's making me kind of anxious though... which makes it hard to sort out a proper routine. I don't want to lose the progress I've already made, but I'm afraid of putting together something really crappy.

Eeeeeeeeh... I wish this weren't stressful. I just want to work out and get good results. Argh.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #765
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
My friend who was going to lend me p90x apparently just had copies of the p90x her brother had bought... so I refrained from borrowing them. I got some eyerolls, but it would really bother my morals (particularly as a musician) to use "pirated" material. My friends think I'm an uptight nut, but at least I can sleep at night.

Unfortunately now I need to figure something else out. I was really hoping for something I could just pop into the DVD player and hit "play", but since that's not happening Imma try to work out a weight lifting routine. It's making me kind of anxious though... which makes it hard to sort out a proper routine. I don't want to lose the progress I've already made, but I'm afraid of putting together something really crappy.

Eeeeeeeeh... I wish this weren't stressful. I just want to work out and get good results. Argh.
Just realise that anything you do is better than doing nothing.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:24 AM   #766
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
The violence perpretated by the gangs of young men in London and the other cities is almost spoken about in apologetic terms by Swedish media. Just because they are poor makes me wonder who's given them the right to wreck havoc and mayhem upon the shops and other civilian property. None that I know of. And, furthermore, the police is, naturally, on the ****-list. They are portrayed as the bad guys as usual. Is the solution then to have a constant vigilance from riot police in these areas or should the victims of the violence take matters into their own hands and retaliate if they see fit to do so?

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 08-11-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #767
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

ok, so i knew that your body is supposed to start degrading after you turn 25 - but does it all have to happen at once? >.< i have a marathon in a week, body! now fix that heel and back! >

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #768
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

All of the sudden I really don't want to go to school tomorrow. I don't know if I'm nervous or what. They finally officially changed my major to Business Finance, so I was able to register for my last class today.

A year and a half left. Four semesters, or five if you count next summer as two (because they break it into two, five week semesters). Fall, Spring, Summer/Summer, Fall.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #769
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Just downloaded the syllabus for my Management class this year... it makes some pretty bold statements about how it's going to mold me into a professional because (apparently) I've become used to just receiving rewards regardless of my poor, unprofessional efforts. Also it's going to challenge my comfort zone. No excuses will be accepted!!! Like, whoa.

... I swear this butthead had better be the most excellent lecturer ever. It's too bad no one else teaches the course. I haven't even met him yet and he's already made me irritable.

I'm so jaded.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #770
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Dude, that takes me back. Management class and that sort of pomposity. Reminds me of that article quote: 3/4 of the managers think they're good at what they do, only 1/4 of the subordinates under those managers agree.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #771
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I did learn a lot about communication. I learned how to spend 45 minutes saying, "late work wont be accepted and I give many assignments." He seems like a nice guy. I think maybe I'm not his target audience but I'm sure I'll learn many useful things.

On a sadder note I think things are falling apart with a friend of mine. He's becoming super suspicious of me for no reason. Like he's going out of his way to imagine I'm lying to him and I can tell from the questions he asks me that he doesn't believe me. We were supposed to hang out on Tuesday night but I needed to work the next day and I can never get away from this friend till late because he just wants to talk and talk. So I canceled with him, and tonight I called to ask how he was, and he acted like he was angry with me. I asked if he was okay a couple of times but he won't say he's upset with me. Whaaaaatever. I asked and was willing to apologize if he was upset but he loves to hang on to things instead of fixing problems.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #772
Earniel

Ah well, that's at least better than the 45 minutes I once had to endure from a teacher going on about she was always ready for a debate and discuss things if needed but that we had to realise that in the end she was always right. And yeay for learning useful things.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #773
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Finally got through to my friend. He thought that I was mad at him and didn't care about him...

Because apparently nothing says, "I don't care," like calling, texting, and asking if you're doing okay.

People are nuts.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #774
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
People are nuts.
What, you never knew before?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #775
Mari
Elf Lady

*chuckles* Glad that worked out okay.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #776
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Any of our 'mooters in the path of Irene? Good luck, if you are.

Bracing for a class 3 typhoon here- schools and work all officiallly closed for tomorrow and maybe Tuesday, which is when school is supposed to start.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #777
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

My voice student quit before our first voice lesson. I told her mother that I did not teach belting (that really forceful style of broadway singing) because it's not really safe for children. She said that was fine, and she had raised a concern about belting anyways, but apparently the daughter convinced her mother that she wanted a teacher who would let her belt.

Oh well. I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to teaching, but of course I hope the girl has all the success in the world and that she gets with a teacher who can get her to safely belt.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #778
Mari
Elf Lady

Hmmm, if I were you, my reaction would have been snorting.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #779
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Is snorting safe?

"belting" - I didn't realize that was an official singing term! I can just picture signs "No Belting under 18!"

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #780
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Is snorting safe?
Depends how you do it.

Quote:
"belting" - I didn't realize that was an official singing term! I can just picture signs "No Belting under 18!"
Oh it totally is. It's used to describe that really brassy, yelled way of singing that most modern broadway singers use. You do it by dragging your chest voice up into the high notes... it's a really "heavy" way of singing, and it's not very healthy... certainly not to do over and over every night, and DEFINITELY not for children.

However, if you use "classical" technique to connect the entire voice you can actually get a pretty good imitation of a "belt" sound. Sopranos are usually out of luck in that department, because aside from dragging their chest voice up high there isn't a whole lot they can do to keep a chesty sound into their high voice... soprano voices naturally pick up a lot of "shimmer" as they move into their full head voice.

Oh well. I'd love to start teaching voice again. Patience!