Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 06:53 AM   #761
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
I've recently started using WattPad. It's mostly fanfics with a few original works. Since Acalewia was taken on one of the writing sites I used to be a part of, I since been using another handle.
I know the name, but only that. Do you like it so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
There are 2 cats zonked out on the floor. They felt it necessary to lie in the direct sun, so my cold indoor floor is a welcome change.
I myself got my nose burnt when I was at camp.
One of ours is black and he too insist on lying in the full sun from time to time. And then he'll run to the stone floor in the shadow and stretch out impossibly long to put as much of himself in contact with the cool stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord View Post
Eärn.

My café. Not yours
Oh.
Oh.
I see.

Well, if you think you can handle them, be my guest, and no, you don't get to borrow the plastic gecko.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #762
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Oh.
Oh.
I see.

Well, if you think you can handle them, be my guest, and no, you don't get to borrow the plastic gecko.
Glad we sorted that out

Of course I can. I've got more meanness in me than I care to demonstrate.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #763
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord View Post
First contributor = special drinks on the house forever. Yay Acally!
Yay!

Quote:
I know the name, but only that. Do you like it so far?
The community is a little more welcoming then the other sites I've posted to. I really like how you can make your own "book covers" to help draw people to your stories instead of just the title and synopsis.

There's actually quite a few professional best selling authors on there mixed in with the amateurs. It a great site. I have the link to my stuff in my sig if you want to check out the website

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 06-15-2015, 02:52 AM   #764
Mari
Elf Lady

I often direct my students to a site where people upload their books and you can read them for free in return for pointers. Apparently there are several good books on it.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 06-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #765
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
The community is a little more welcoming then the other sites I've posted to. I really like how you can make your own "book covers" to help draw people to your stories instead of just the title and synopsis.

There's actually quite a few professional best selling authors on there mixed in with the amateurs. It a great site. I have the link to my stuff in my sig if you want to check out the website
Sounds tempting, and the cover-thing is pretty neat. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #766
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Good morning all. We are having all sorts of rain and are being threatened by flooding because of Tropical Storm Bill *giggle* He does do that on occasion

Susie
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Old 06-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #767
Mari
Elf Lady

I would like some rain here. It's forecast for tomorrow, but they're not always correct. Question is: dare I delay watering my plants in the hopes of rain tomorrow? Or will they wither and die if I do that?

Old 06-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #768
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Mari, I don't trust tem a bit. But I just got back from lunch and we got rainded on proper

Susie
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Old 06-17-2015, 07:32 AM   #769
Earniel

Quote:
I would like some rain here. It's forecast for tomorrow, but they're not always correct. Question is: dare I delay watering my plants in the hopes of rain tomorrow? Or will they wither and die if I do that?
I wouldn't mind some rain either, some of our plants are starting to struggle, and our rainwater tanks are nearly empty. And the sun, when she shines full on, really is very intense, some of the leaves are actually burnt.

EDIT: Which reminds me, I'm late, but I hope you had an awesome birthday!
Old 06-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #770
Mari
Elf Lady

Thank you. My birthday was pretty non-eventful.

I watered the plants just now, by the way. Still haven't seen a drop of rain. My neighbour told me it is now predicted for tomorrow. :roll:

Old 06-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #771
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Good very late morning. Great though sweaty eight mile run this morning. No surgery today, didn't get to the office till ten and got frowned at (I did call). We are getting lunch brought to us today from some nursing service.

Susie
Old 06-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #772
Acalewia

Quote:
Sounds tempting, and the cover-thing is pretty neat. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
Awesome. If you decide to join, let me know and I'll follow you

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:43 AM   #773
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Summer begins with Summer Solstice at 5:39 PM Greenwich Time (12:39 Eastern Time in the US) today.

No one from Belgium has mentioned the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo. It was fought until late in the evening, but – since it was nearly solstice – the sun did not set until close to 10 PM. Did anyone go to the remembrance? Have any ’Mooters visited the battlefield?

BTW, Napoleon is depicted as a short man. He wasn’t: he was between five feet five inches (165 cm) and five feet seven inches (170 cm). (French records indicate he was five (old French) feet two pouce, 168 cm tall.) But his name is attached to the Napoleonic complex.

Enjoy the solstice. Stay up late and watch the sun set.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:56 AM   #774
Mari
Elf Lady

My school (a Waldorf school) usually celebrates the solstice somewhat during the St. Jan's festival. I did not remember the anniversary of the battle at Waterloo. I didn't learn about it in school much either. The history education isn't what is used to be. Though our king and queen attended the re-enactment. Lots of Dutch re-enactors there too.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #775
Acalewia

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers on the Moot

Old 06-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #776
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
No one from Belgium has mentioned the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo. It was fought until late in the evening, but – since it was nearly solstice – the sun did not set until close to 10 PM. Did anyone go to the remembrance? Have any ’Mooters visited the battlefield?
I got to visit it 5 years or so ago. Would definitely recommend. Something about seeing the landscape makes history (especially battles) make a lot more sense to me as far as understanding what happened there.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 06-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #777
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
No one from Belgium has mentioned the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo. It was fought until late in the evening, but – since it was nearly solstice – the sun did not set until close to 10 PM. Did anyone go to the remembrance? Have any ’Mooters visited the battlefield
No, I haven't. But I have heard the re-enactment was pretty spectacular. It was in the news for days. The guy playing Napoleon nearly had his car towed by the police. (Yes, trust me to remember that sort of detail.)

What did surprise me is how the French government appears to be still not over it, even after 200 years. Our Royal Mint wanted to make a Waterloo version of a euro-coin, which is an established fashion for memorable events or anniversaries of those in eurozone-countries. France blew a gasket, felt it was really, really rude of us and vetoed the coin before Europe. So now it's only issued as a special collector's coin which they can't veto. The craziest part of it is that France otherwise had no problem with Waterloo remembrance coins as long as they're the one making and selling them, even in Waterloo itself. All of it was really, really odd.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #778
Mari
Elf Lady

Perhaps it was an economic thing then and not a social issue per se.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #779
Earniel

I can't imagine membrance coins being such a gold mine, but then, what do I know. It was kinda odd they phrased it as an insult, if it was purely economic. But hey, whatever the reason, it makes for an interesting story on international politics.

Sometimes, history is so daft, you couldn't even make it up.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #780
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
What did surprise me is how the French government appears to be still not over it, even after 200 years. Our Royal Mint wanted to make a Waterloo version of a euro-coin, which is an established fashion for memorable events or anniversaries of those in eurozone-countries. France blew a gasket, felt it was really, really rude of us and vetoed the coin before Europe. So now it's only issued as a special collector's coin which they can't veto.
Quote:
Perhaps it was an economic thing then and not a social issue per se.
There’s nothing like suffering defeat in war. France rallied behind Napoleon in the Hundred Days. Germany and Austria remember two world wars; the American South, the old Confederacy, is still licking its wounds. Moslem North Africa still covets Spain after 600 years; Mexico, California; Poland, Lvov; Germany, Kaliningrad (ancient Königsberg); and Russia has retrieved Crimea and the Donets Basin, lost at the end of the Cold War.

Quote:
The craziest part of it is that France otherwise had no problem with Waterloo remembrance coins as long as they're the one making and selling them, even in Waterloo itself.
They control the message. Do you prefer the nurse to rip off the bandage, or do it yourself?

Quote:
Sometimes, history is so daft, you couldn't even make it up.
Quite true!
Closed Thread