Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #761
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
Now BJ, let's not omit that "...in the case of incest, rape etc..." was part of the language of the Amendment. I think that says something about the voters standing on more specific grounds than just "pro, con".
I'm not forgetting that. That's why I linked the article. The only thing I am saying is that it seems, even in a conservative state, that a majority is willing to accept abortion in at least some cases. So the hard line (no abortions, ever) isn't really ever going to fly.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #762
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
I'm not forgetting that. That's why I linked the article. The only thing I am saying is that it seems, even in a conservative state, that a majority is willing to accept abortion in at least some cases. So the hard line (no abortions, ever) isn't really ever going to fly.
Ah, ok....

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 11-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #763
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I also note that parental notification initiatives failed in both Oregon and California. That's an issue I'm more ambivalent about. I can see the arguments of opponents that some girls may be threatened or coerced, but a minor is a minor and we are generally very careful about practising any kind of (non-emergency) medical intervention without the parents knowing and usually consenting.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 11-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #764
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

So when it comes down to it, what would you vote for?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 11-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #765
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I'd support parental notification with the option of appeal to a judge/ special panel to waive- (thus setting up huge fights over who gets to judge.)

This may be influenced over the hassle I had last week just trying to pull my son out of class to get a filling; the idea that my underage daughter (if I had one) could undergo a serious medical procedure without my even knowing about it strikes me as wrong.

Here in Taiwan the government just implemented a three-day waiting requirement for all women; plus married women now have to notify their husbands.

(By implemented I mean a typical Taiwan-government-style procedure. Some pressure group goes to a Minister and says "you should do this"; the Minister makes an announcement; all hell breaks loose from everybody who hasn't been consulted; politicians from all parties jump in on both sides; in panic the government announces a delay in instituting the new measure while the issue is "studied", then proceeds to ignore the studies until the deadline has been reached, then one office re-announces launch of the new policy while others continue to ignore it, and no poor member of the public can get a straight answer and it happens EVERY TIME!!!)

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 11-12-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #766
Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane
Elven Warrior

I'm not trying to go against anyone's beliefs or make anyone angry, this is simply how I feel.

I think that abortions will happen anyway, so why not make it safe? Also, why not make that baby's life stand for something? You've heard of stem cell research? Well, use abortion babies.
I don't like abortion, I don't think that I could do it...I don't think that women should resort to it, then again, I'm not in their postion and I refuse to condemn something I don't understand.
On the same note, if it is made legal it shouldn't be abused...and by that I mean that it shouldn't be used as a form of birth control. I think that parents or legal gaurdians of underage children should be informed of an abortion, before it takes place and that the parents/guardians should be part of the process.

Then again, that's just what I think...with American views on the subject.
"Not only did my encounters with voters confirm the fundamental decency of the American people, they also reminded me that at the core of the American experience are a set of ideals that continue to stir our collective conscience; a common set of values that bind us together despite our differences; a running thread of hope that makes our improbable experiment in democracy work..." Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope
Old 11-23-2006, 09:15 PM   #767
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane
I'm not trying to go against anyone's beliefs or make anyone angry, this is simply how I feel.

I think that abortions will happen anyway, so why not make it safe? Also, why not make that baby's life stand for something? You've heard of stem cell research? Well, use abortion babies.
I don't like abortion, I don't think that I could do it...I don't think that women should resort to it, then again, I'm not in their postion and I refuse to condemn something I don't understand.
On the same note, if it is made legal it shouldn't be abused...and by that I mean that it shouldn't be used as a form of birth control. I think that parents or legal gaurdians of underage children should be informed of an abortion, before it takes place and that the parents/guardians should be part of the process.

Then again, that's just what I think...with American views on the subject.

Very cool; excellent post. You've got my vote. You're gonna get all kinds of christian fundie republican huff and guff soon in this thread, but that's the way it is in real life anyway, isn't it? You've got some allies here so don't get too discouraged when they start flogging you for your stance. It's awesome to see you here. Welcome back, Snowmane.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 11-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #768
Gwaimir Windgem

You like pigeon-holing everyone who doesn't agree with you, don't you?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 11-30-2006, 12:03 AM   #769
Elven Warrior

Me? How was I pigeon-holing anyone?
"Not only did my encounters with voters confirm the fundamental decency of the American people, they also reminded me that at the core of the American experience are a set of ideals that continue to stir our collective conscience; a common set of values that bind us together despite our differences; a running thread of hope that makes our improbable experiment in democracy work..." Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope
Old 11-30-2006, 12:07 AM   #770
hectorberlioz

I'm not sure, but I think he was referring to Lotesse

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 11-30-2006, 12:11 AM   #771
Elven Warrior

Ah. That makes more sense.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:45 AM   #772
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I don't get the part where I'm "pigeonholing" anyone. Pigeonholing? Not quite getting your meaning, bub. Perhaps you could explain your rather snide little comment?

Old 11-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #773
Gwaimir Windgem

I was referring to your rather snide little comment, my dear, the one that predicted that Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane's post would be assaulted by:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
all kinds of christian fundie republican huff and guff
(By the way, please note that no such thing occurred). But the point is, you condescendingly generalise any sort of response as 'christian fundie republican huff and guff'. 'Huff and guff' aside, I take objection to 'christian fundie republican'; most of it does not apply even to me. I am neither a fundamentalist, nor a Republican, and while I am a Christian, it is by no means necessary to be a Christian. It's like when conservative creationists act as though there were two kinds of people: Christians and evolutionists, as though the two were some how mutually exclusive and opposed to one another. It really gets my goat when people try to turn anyone who disagrees with them on Issue A, B, C, or any combination thereof into a pre-made template such as "Godless ACLU Atheist Abortion Doctor" or "Fanatical Republican Gun-Toting Christian"; clearly, these are both extremes of the matter, but they get the general idea across, of imagining the world in black and white, with Black believing this across the board, and White contradicting black and believing that.

Perhaps it was not your intention to so generalise or classify, but that was certainly the impression.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 11-30-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:14 PM   #774
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

^^ There you go, ladies and gentleman! A lovely example of a little huff'
n guff! You're a funny guy, kiddo; anybody ever tell ya that? Cute. Very cute! Well, carry on with your bad self, sweetie...

Old 11-30-2006, 09:15 PM   #775
Gwaimir Windgem

Ah, but the huff and guff was neither fundie, nor Republican, nor (arguably) Christian, nor did Master'sBaneSwiftSnowmane get it, as predicted. You got the huff and guff bit right, though, and you totally nailed which thread it would occur in.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 11-30-2006, 10:23 PM   #776
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Oh - so, you're not a christian? Could have sworn you claimed to be a christian, but I guess I was wrong about that. That's odd; I could have sworn... ah, well. What I find hilarious, among other things, is how you immediately got flustered and ruffled and huffy, in the first place, automatically assuming that I was speaking of you in particular when I mentioned christian fundie republicans. It's not all about YOU, kid. But I must say, it's been a fun time watching your knee-jerk miffed huff and guff response to my casual and true statement! And then when I set the trap pretending to be "mad" at being told I "pigeon-holed" you went for it without hesitation, and gave us a beautiful demonstration of offended and flappered huff n guff! Which I don't know about anyone else, but me, personally, I got a great laugh out of that. Yes, I'm an evil, evil bitch...

Old 11-30-2006, 10:27 PM   #777
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
and while I am a Christian, it is by no means necessary to be a Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
nor (arguably) Christian,
He means you don't have to be christian to jump all over Monsieur SnowBane (arguably), if [people] did.

Quote:
Oh - so, you're not a christian? Could have sworn you claimed to be a christian, but I guess I was wrong about that. That's odd; I could have sworn... ah, well. What I find hilarious, among other things, is how you immediately got flustered and ruffled and huffy, in the first place, automatically assuming that I was speaking of you in particular when I mentioned christian fundie republicans. It's not all about YOU, kid. But I must say, it's been a fun time watching your knee-jerk miffed huff and guff response to my casual and true statement! And then when I set the trap pretending to be "mad" at being told I "pigeon-holed" you went for it without hesitation, and gave us a beautiful demonstration of offended and flappered huff n guff! Which I don't know about anyone else, but me, personally, I got a great laugh out of that. Yes, I'm an evil, evil bitch...
Some of us fundie rep christians just pass over replying to such blather

The Da CINDY Code
~

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 11-30-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:39 PM   #778
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
H

Some of us fundie rep christians just pass over replying to such blather
Yes, and good for you, kiddo! And some of us non-christian, non-partisan open-minded thinkers prefer to pass over replying to the endless, repetitious, baloney christian-based arguments against such things as same-sex marriage and a woman's right to choose abortion, because your nonsensical, superior, snobbish attitude towards those of us without christian leanings is, well, blather. I've watched the ridiculous blather from your type in these hot gen. msg. threads for two years now, and have noticed one thing: The debate never changes. But Bravo to the keepers of the flame of truth around here for continuing the fight against religion-based reasoning. In the meantime, thanks for the giggle, mr. Windgem, and watch that ego, Berlioz - one of these days you're gonna get a bad back from the weight of that thing! Ciao, kids -

Old 11-30-2006, 10:58 PM   #779
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Yes, and good for you, kiddo! And some of us non-christian, non-partisan
Of all things, you claim non-partisanship?!

Quote:
open-minded thinkers prefer
PREFER, implying you types are not so open-minded

Quote:
to pass over replying to the endless, repetitious, baloney christian-based arguments against such things as same-sex marriage and a woman's right to choose abortion, because your nonsensical, superior, snobbish attitude towards those of us without christian leanings is, well, blather.
You yourself said above:

Quote:
And then when I set the trap pretending to be "mad" at being told I "pigeon-holed" you went for it without hesitation, and gave us a beautiful demonstration of offended and flappered huff n guff! Which I don't know about anyone else, but me, personally, I got a great laugh out of that. Yes, I'm an evil, evil bitch...
Isn't that boasting about being blatherous?

Quote:
I've watched the ridiculous blather from your type in these hot gen. msg. threads for two years now, and have noticed one thing: The debate never changes.
Well, that's a good thing. Nice to know we use the same arguements, rather than wheedle through with tricks. Consistency used to be admired in debate...

Quote:
But Bravo to the keepers of the flame of truth around here
Heh! You just critisized our side for "debate never changes", and now you're praising your side for it!

Quote:
for continuing the fight against religion-based reasoning. In the meantime, thanks for the giggle, mr. Windgem, and watch that ego, Berlioz - one of these days you're gonna get a bad back from the weight of that thing! Ciao, kids -
My ego is fine, thank you

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 11-30-2006, 11:04 PM   #780
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

It is what it is, kid. It is what it is...

Closed Thread