Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #761
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, too bad, Mari!! It's not the money (although that's nice! ) - it's the sentimental things, and just the dratted inconvenience of canceling cards 'n stuff.

Glad you guys weren't too damanged, Sane!

I want to get another gun - they're fun! Saw some interesting old guns at an "Old Western" style shooting competition recently. Those guys were good shots!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #762
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Update on the bullying thing - the second kid (the nice one) texted my son yesterday and wanted to be friends again. The first kid was back at school yesterday and totally non-repentent. The second kid comes back today - I'm anxious to hear what happens ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #763
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Good luck to your son, Rian! Bullies are a bane of existence. At least one has mended his ways. (Or so it seems.)

As for the faulty round, well, many things can go wrong, depends on the round. In this case, by the looks of it, the casing was improperly crimped and the seating of the cast bullet was off by maybe .0025 of an inch. Pretty much invisible to the eye, but in other words, it was bent. Also, whomever it was that did the reload was using too much powder and the wrong kind of primer cap. It ended up in an explosion, with the bent bullet and case turned into shrapnel.

He got it unfortunatly pretty good in the face, with some severe powder burns and brass shrapnel in his cheek and brow. At least twit-face was wearing safetly glasses, thank the stars! I ended up abandoning camp and taking only the fire arms and hauling him down the mountain. It wasn't fun.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #764
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Sometimes you just have to fight fire with fire. I remember back in third grade my brother and I use to get bullied by this punk and his shadow friend who were both two grades ahead of me, same as my brother. We went through the whole nine yards of turning the other cheek and my talking to his parents. Parents who really didn't give a damn, my dad told me years later. The kids that don't care invariably have parents that don't care.

Finally, one day on the basketball court they went after my brother and I again. We were kind of small and wiry, and generally polite because that was the way my parents taught us. So we got called wimps, sissys, etc. and smacked around on occasion. I decided I'd had enough so I jumped on this kid's back, pulled him to the ground, and smashed his head into the pavement.

It wasn't my finest moment from a restraint point of view, but sometimes you have to make a stand, especially at that age. There's a certain pack mentality that no amount of civilization will ever change. It's a stand that is best made by the kid himself.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #765
Rían

Thanks, Sane - got the update when my son got home - the good kid has accepted responsibility for what he did, says that it was wrong, is sorry for it, and is friends with my son again (and after a few minutes of "whatja do that for?!" is now fine with the rest of the kids). The first kid denies that what he did was wrong, hasn't apologized, and the other kids are giving him a hard time. I mean, bullying a handicapped kid two against one isn't wrong?

Brownie, I know what you're saying, and my husband has fought twice (in defense of his brother and then his sister - he decked the guy with one blow each time), but really - how can a kid with no legs possibly fight another kid with legs and twice his size?

Last edited by Rían : 03-10-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:45 PM   #766
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I know what its like to be bullied, but bullying a physically handicapped kid is low.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 03-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #767
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Rian, it's really unfortunate that your son had to go through that. :-/ I know it sounds bad to say, but it was probably an incredibly valuable life lesson for the repentant kid. I'd bet heavily that next time he's in a situation that's similar, he'll recognize what's going on much more quickly and he'll do the right thing immediately.

It's great that your son has such a supportive, understanding mom . Go Rian!
Old 03-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #768
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
I know what its like to be bullied, but bullying a physically handicapped kid is low.
It's so stupid - the guy wants to impress girls, so bullying a physically handicapped kid, even one on one, does that? And he did it two on one! Yeah, the girls are REALLY impressed! (actually he might get tossed out because he's starting to stalk some girls in a minor way)

And Tessar, that's a great point about a life lesson - the "good" kid has known the "bad" kid for years and years, and I think that's why he went along at first, but I'm so glad he changed his mind. He really is a good kid. (and thanks for that last bit - my goodness, it's really tough being a mom! You non-parents have no idea! It's a tough call when to jump in and when to coach from home. We tried the latter for a week or two, then when it escalated, decided to jump in, esp. because he's very physically helpless)

Last edited by Rían : 03-11-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #769
Mari
Elf Lady

Glad to hear the kid apologized.
And glad to hear that your son is such a great kid he could forgive the other kid too

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 03-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #770
Acalewia

Yes, your son is a great kid. I'm glad he didn't hold a gruge against the "good" kid.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #771
Rían

Thanks!

Here's a pic of him riding his quad: here. His legs end just a little below his shorts. It's amazing how he stays on! He's such a trooper!

Last edited by Rían : 03-11-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #772
Acalewia

He looks like a normal kid in that pic. How old is he?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:01 AM   #773
Rían

He's 13. He's pretty small for his age - he has pretty severe scoliosis - it bends one way, then the other, and that takes away from his height, plus he's just small, too. He has various other skeletal complications, too (his wrists don't rotate, and he can't raise his hands above his head, along with some other things), but he's sharp as a tack and has the most gorgeous blue eyes and is a real sweetheart.

Last edited by Rían : 03-12-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #774
Mari
Elf Lady

*sigh*
I had a presentation today. It took me a lot of effort to get my two groupmates to even respond to my emails, so in the end I took up my books and wrote a bit myself when one of the girls showed up after all. She didn't want to do what I'd been doing, so we changed the whole thing, which annoyed me but fine, whatever. So the two of us worked on it two days ago. I got several books together, took care of pictures, she made a powerpoint (dunno why we'd need one, but hey, whatever). The other girl would just do the intro and summary.
Today we were in class and where were my groupmates? Not at school!
So at the last moment I thought: Fine! Let's do it my way. So I gave the presentation off the top of my head, covered the other girls' parts and did not use that stupid powerpoint.
Those two girls will not face any consequences. Nothing whatsoever. Not officially anyway. My classmates were pretty annoyed with them for letting me down. Those girls didn't even try to contact me.
It's so rude.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #775
Rían

Rude doesn't even begin to describe it!

Old 03-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #776
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'd be equally angry with the teacher. Two of the three students bail out on an assignment, leaving the third one to fend on her own, and then not get to deal with any consequences? FAIL!

It's a good thing you had prepared things beforehand so you weren't left entirely hanging high and dry.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:26 AM   #777
Rían

Grrr - why am I not sleepy even tho it's late?

Hey Earniel, I'm tired of the "temporary" tag in front of the venting thread - it was just temporary for a few days years ago when we lost the real one. Could we please make the next incarnation just plain 'ol "The Venting Thread"?

Old 03-17-2009, 06:07 AM   #778
Mari
Elf Lady

Rian, read the first few posts of this thread and I think you'll get your answer

I have nothing to vent about... I'm very content lately.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #779
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an View Post
Hey Earniel, I'm tired of the "temporary" tag in front of the venting thread - it was just temporary for a few days years ago when we lost the real one. Could we please make the next incarnation just plain 'ol "The Venting Thread"?
Hm, some people are attached to the 'temporary', so I reckon you can't please anyone whether it gets changed or not. I suppose I'll leave it to be decided by the one who makes the next installment of the venting thread.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #780
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I like "temporary".

The things that bother us are temporary. The good things are eternal.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Closed Thread