Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 02:07 AM   #741
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethuiliel
You are really hyper in English class when the teacher is repeating the questions for a quiz, so you reply with completely rediculous, LotR-related answers. Like the pilgrims in the Canterbury Tales were going to Minas Tirith (THAT was a stupid question anyways.) The author of the Canterbury Tales was inspired by writing from Gondor (actually Italy and France, but who cares?). etc.

I cares! Stupid questions for a quiz though....I'd have asked better ones. I had a student on the second day of class this semester roll her eyes and say "Oh God, no" when I mentioned Tolkien....very, very disheartening.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:42 AM   #742
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Well, they roll their eyes when you mention Shakespeare, too. Bad literary taste is nearly universal among teenagers.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:57 AM   #743
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
Well, they roll their eyes when you mention Shakespeare, too. Bad literary taste is nearly universal among teenagers.

Nearly! Nearly! Nearly! That's the key word...

I like Shakespeare...

and obviously Tolkien...

Neil Gaiman
Old 11-20-2004, 12:45 PM   #744
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkbeard
I cares! Stupid questions for a quiz though....I'd have asked better ones.
I know!! hmm... where were they going in the Canterbury Tales? I wonders....

I remember that... I was very hyper, and very annoyed by the stupidness of the questions. I knew pretty much all of the answers, but I just felt like blurting out wrong ones... not that anyone would believe me, and I didn't do it very loudly.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."

Last edited by ethuiliel : 11-20-2004 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:17 PM   #745
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
All too true...and too often I actually have students who have never read a book before--seriously, have never read a book from cover to cover, not even in high school English. They read ten for my class. And probably still don't finish, but then they have quote identifications on the exams, so if they don't read, they can't identify the quote.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:24 PM   #746
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkbeard
All too true...and too often I actually have students who have never read a book before--seriously, have never read a book from cover to cover, not even in high school English. They read ten for my class. And probably still don't finish, but then they have quote identifications on the exams, so if they don't read, they can't identify the quote.
Never read a book before *shudders* I had some friends like that...

One I convinced to watch the FotR movie... but she refused to read the book, because she simply didn't like reading...

High school memories... in 11th grade, my whole advanced placement English class was addicted to cliffnotes and sparknotes... and this is the top 10%!

Of course, quite a few of them were also addicted to cheating...

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 11-20-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:26 PM   #747
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I know!! hmm... where were they going in the Canterbury Tales? I wonders....

I remember that... I was very hyper, and very annoyed by the stupidness of the questions. I knew pretty much all of the answers, but I just felt like blurting out wrong ones... not that anyone would believe me, and I didn't do it very loudly.

Heehee, I know, I have people who do that too. But then, when you have a pretty good student who gives answers like that on a quiz, chances are they're being a smart ass.

As long as I have you, I'm always curious how students feel about things like quizzes...I'm for the most part against what I call "babysitting" teaching methods--like pop quizzes that ask questions like the ones you describe. At the same time, they are designed to see if you did the reading and paid attention in class....what do you as a student think of quizzes (ones better than the one your teacher gave you) and how if you were the teacher would you address the issue of encouraging/forcing the students to do the reading?

FB
Old 11-20-2004, 01:37 PM   #748
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I was just REALLY hyper... too much sugar probably, and I was sitting near my (fellow LotR fan) friends. I don't even remember if I actually said it outloud, but I feel like I did. I'm not sure. I normally don't do stuff like that, but I was kinda crazy that day.

Quote:
High school memories... in 11th grade, my whole advanced placement English class was addicted to cliffnotes and sparknotes... and this is the top 10%!
*shudders*

Quote:
As long as I have you, I'm always curious how students feel about things like quizzes...I'm for the most part against what I call "babysitting" teaching methods--like pop quizzes that ask questions like the ones you describe. At the same time, they are designed to see if you did the reading and paid attention in class....what do you as a student think of quizzes (ones better than the one your teacher gave you) and how if you were the teacher would you address the issue of encouraging/forcing the students to do the reading?
We all complain about them, of course, but normally we don't really hate them. I don't like ones with the REALLY obscure question, or the REALLY obvious ones, (like the one I just mentioned) but they're usually fine. As long as that's not all we do, and not all of our grade. Then again, I'm just one person, I'm not sure how everyone else feels.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
Old 11-20-2004, 01:46 PM   #749
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
remember that... I was very hyper, and very annoyed by the stupidness of the questions. I knew pretty much all of the answers, but I just felt like blurting out wrong ones... not that anyone would believe me, and I didn't do it very loudly.
Hahaha... I did that on an AP exam once... if you guys don't know what those are, they're really big, long tests that don't really count for anything... I was so annoyed that I actually had to be taking this test for which I couldn't even get college credit, that my answers began to turn very sarcastic...

Quote:
We all complain about them, of course, but normally we don't really hate them. I don't like ones with the REALLY obscure question, or the REALLY obvious ones, (like the one I just mentioned) but they're usually fine. As long as that's not all we do, and not all of our grade. Then again, I'm just one person, I'm not sure how everyone else feels.
I have to agree with ethuiliel... the smaller quizzes really never bothered people in my classes too much, and though there would be complaints about them, nobody I knew really made that much of a deal over them. Now, the bigger tests... such as pointless APs, for example... that was another story.

BTW... is there any way to move this part out of the "A few ways to tell you are obsessed with LotR"... before a moderator finds it?

Neil Gaiman
Old 11-20-2004, 03:09 PM   #750
Attalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
Nearly! Nearly! Nearly! That's the key word...

I like Shakespeare...

and obviously Tolkien...
LOL, I know, that's why I put it in. I'll bet you know lots of your so-called peers that wouldn't read a book to save their lives. My older boy, 18, used to count the pages remaining in the books he would read, but I stopped that by making fun of it. Now he is reading Conrad and of course, Tolkien, but then he is made fun of by 'friends' for reading.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:17 PM   #751
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
BTW... is there any way to move this part out of the "A few ways to tell you are obsessed with LotR"... before a moderator finds it?
Ok, how about you know you're obsessed with LoTR when your best illustrations of literary techniques are all taken from Tolkien
Old 11-20-2004, 04:51 PM   #752
Attalus

Strider

A good way to tell if you are too obsessed with Tolkien is that your office at work is decorated with drawings of Éowyn and Lúthien instead of your wife and kids.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:39 PM   #753
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
A good way to tell if you are too obsessed with Tolkien is that your office at work is decorated with drawings of Éowyn and Lúthien instead of your wife and kids.

And you know your whole family is too obsessed if your wife knows... but doesn't care...

Neil Gaiman
Old 11-21-2004, 12:24 PM   #754
Attalus

Actually, the portraits are on the wall, and the pics of my wife and kids are on my desk. And she knows but gives me trouble about it.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:37 PM   #755
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Actually, the portraits are on the wall, and the pics of my wife and kids are on my desk. And she knows but gives me trouble about it.
Ah... so it is a true story... I thought as much but wasn't going to say anything...

Neil Gaiman
Old 11-21-2004, 02:10 PM   #756
Attalus

Well, sorta true. I do have the pictures of my wife and kids. She gripes because there are more fantasy girls than of her. Heh, there is an enlarged one of her taken the year we started dating.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:50 AM   #757
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin Took434
2.you name a child or pet after a character
I have had cats named Maedhros, Glorfindel, Thingol, Finrod, Melian and Galadriel

and I have guinea pigs called gimli and aragorn

Old 11-22-2004, 10:52 AM   #758
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Quote:
Lies, they're all lies!!

i enjoy reading obstentiously[sp.?]
Old 11-22-2004, 12:53 PM   #759
inked
Elf Lord

LCoU,

you enjoy reading obstentiously? I would take that to mean while constipated (obstipation) and very long periods of time (tendentiously) ! Do family members complain about either or both? Don't forget the risks of the same: long term use of Preparation H or Witchazel or Tucks, etc.

I know you meant ostentatiously (show off ), but I couldn't resist.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 11-22-2004, 02:53 PM   #760
Attalus

I understand completely, inked. Teasing teenagers is so much fun.