Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #741
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

* * * Info thread minders * * *

Could you please add a date into the date info area? Since both rpg-RÃ*an and rpg-Eärniel are from Gondolin, I think it's a good idea to include some dates for that info. There are several versions with differing dates (of course!), but I'd suggest this:

(approx) 510 First Age : Fall of Gondolin
(approx) 600 First Age : end of First Age

Also - Eärniel, since you had mentioned that, in your mind, rpg-Eärniel was a young girl and kind of latched on and looked up to rpg-RÃ*an during the Flight, I put in a reference to that, mainly to show that rpg-RÃ*an respected grown-up rpg-Eärniel's opinion. Let me know if that's ok - I'll be glad to edit if it's not.

ps - the link to the Info thread on the first post of the Discussion thread works great!!! Thanks, guys! No need to bump the info thead now; just go to the first post in the discussion thread and click on the link. Personally, that info thread is very helpful to me.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 09-22-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:22 PM   #742
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Notice: post 118 changed. I removed the part about Aiwendis in the garden at night, as it was posted too early, when in other storylines it was only evening. Instead, I added the Chancellor planning to make Aiwendis study Embalming.
new post 118

Soon I will tell about interesting happenings in the Chancellor's palace at night.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:33 PM   #743
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
You could edit something for ME, Val!

Please, can you change the "fading moon" into "full moon" in your post #133?
Aiwendis needs full moon for her spell this very night!

Gor blows a kiss
We..eeellll...

I'm not exactly eager to be put under the spell of a love potion.

Actually - the moon as it was fit well into Valandil's sneaking out that first night. I have a couple suggestions for you though:

Either the love-potion making could be a flashback - to the previous full moon, about a week ago (give or take a day).

OR... remember the Eruhantale Ball that Annawen was dreaming about? Harvest celebration... we're probably talking September 30 or October 1 - Our story began in early September without a specific date... suppose the next full moon falls on the night of the Eruhantale celebration??!!

Or, since the Numenorean calendar has no October 31... (and we all know what THAT day is! ) - we could get ready for a big end-of-semester bash on October 30 or November 1 - and probably hit another full moon about then.

What a Halloween Party THAT could be!

(does THAT still qualify me? )

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 09-22-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:43 AM   #744
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Neither rpg-Rian nor RL-Rian would have any problem with spying on anyone if they thought it might let them avert some terrible deed. However, I need to remember that rpg-Rian doesn't know they're Nazgul - I need to re-think what she has seen.
RPG-Eärniel would also revert to some spying if she considered it really important. (RL-Eärniel is just too much of a coward to consider. ) But so far RPG-Eärniel is unsure whether climbing to the window and spying is necessary already in this case, because although she finds the Orrodel-occupants strange and somewhat unsettling, she doesn't suspect them of worse yet. She knows that more girls are after a royal marriage so it doesn't much surprise her that Lilly is trying it too.

She's a careful one, so she wants to simply observe matters for a while before she gets herself involved. Maybe she is subconciously aware that one of the incognito nazgul knows she is present and doesn't want to risk further exposure. And she doesn't want to bring RÃ*an into trouble so soon after meeting her again.

But anyway, should she find out more fishy things about Orrodel and its inhabitants later, then it's not impossible that she does do some spying to find out what the nazgul are up to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Also - Eärniel, since you had mentioned that, in your mind, rpg-Eärniel was a young girl and kind of latched on and looked up to rpg-RÃ*an during the Flight, I put in a reference to that, mainly to show that rpg-RÃ*an respected grown-up rpg-Eärniel's opinion. Let me know if that's ok - I'll be glad to edit if it's not.
No, leave it, it's good. It works excellent.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:18 AM   #745
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Grey Wolf, I am glad you are with us again. But you are sure you want to leave the party? Plenty to eat and planty to drink there...
And have you thought that you are leaving Lilly to Marty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
We..eeellll...

I'm not exactly eager to be put under the spell of a love potion.

Actually - the moon as it was fit well into Valandil's sneaking out that first night. I have a couple suggestions for you though:

Either the love-potion making could be a flashback - to the previous full moon, about a week ago (give or take a day).

OR... remember the Eruhantale Ball that Annawen was dreaming about? Harvest celebration... we're probably talking September 30 or October 1 - Our story began in early September without a specific date... suppose the next full moon falls on the night of the Eruhantale celebration??!!

Or, since the Numenorean calendar has no October 31... (and we all know what THAT day is! ) - we could get ready for a big end-of-semester bash on October 30 or November 1 - and probably hit another full moon about then.

What a Halloween Party THAT could be!

(does THAT still qualify me? )
Please, Val, I really want to feed you that potion.
Why do you think the Morgul-Lord will refrain from using some potion if it will remain undetected?

About the moon, I think it is a good idea to leave it "fading". Third quarter moon is not so good for love potions, but what can Aiwendis do? waiting for another month is too long. So, she will take the chance. The spell will not be so strong, probably. And that will permit you, Val, not to become crazy with love outright

But please, you should start to care for Aiwendis after the potion! Please?

Blows another kiss

Eruhantale/Halloween celebtation is a very good idea. Val can even dress as a nazgul ! That will be hilarious!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:03 AM   #746
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Gordis
Quote:
Grey Wolf, I am glad you are with us again. But you are sure you want to leave the party? Plenty to eat and planty to drink there...
And have you thought that you are leaving Lilly to Marty?
well, calling it a party is a bit much. It appears to be an invite only dinner.

I, for one, respect GW for leaving early. Why would he want to stay and watch the girls flirt with other men??? Unless he has no trust? Though perhaps those who cannot trust the given word of another, maybe cannot be trusted, as the proverb loosely goes. But GW evidently does have the ability to trust others. So good on him.

regarding the Eruhantale celebration: then can i suggest this be on neutral ground, and that henceforward in fairness to all players, should they continue, any open character events be staged away from orrodel. There is a whole city out there and if all events get deliberately or otherwise centred around orrodel all the time, this will not be fair to all players here involved.

what do you say, Gordis?

edit: P.S.: Valandil the high king in a nazgul costume would be hilarious (also quite possible in that they are victorious and would perhaps celebrate that by lampooning their defeated ( HAH!) foes .... )

EDIT 2: Lotesse: Nay, neither on drugs nor a split personality : good quote though! Came up on a search for that line in your siggy. Is that from Virgil by the way?

Also by the way, did you know if you search for your italian siggy line, know what comes up the most? YOU! Lotesse! Seriously, i found 6 or 7 entries in the top 20 referring to Lotesse on entmoot!

some odd or possibly funny? attempts at translation:
... silks and poison?
... The thirst is more being able some fear of venom?
More The thirst is being able loads fear of venom?
The silks are more powerful of the poison fear?

edit 3: what happened to your mens agitat ... siggy, you have taking it off?

Last edited by Butterbeer : 09-23-2005 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:21 AM   #747
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

A nazgul...??? I dunno - maybe Sauron, since daddy and grandpa killed 'im! Now wouldn't THAT give you Nine a nice shock, what with all the fears that Valandil might have the One Ring...

BTW - hope the rest of you in Commerce are hard at work on your 'three-scroll papers'!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-23-2005, 08:37 AM   #748
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Valandil: Sauron be it... Though he did kill your Granddad...

About homework on Commerce. I had an impression that the actual courses have not yet started... New students are just picking subjects they want to study, they are approved by the Chancellor, a formal opening reception on Sunday and courses start on Monday? If we are in Early September it fits.

Otherwise, if Val was already studying for some time, it is strange he has not yet met the Chancellor.

BB. You are still sulking, I see, though even Lotesse finally promised to be civil to the widow, even if she shows up in Orrodel. Orrodel's life goes on, other events will take place at other locations. Val, for instance, is sleeping NOT in Orrodel. Halloween celebrations will not be there, I think.
And many of us asked you to take care of Ray and Marty temporarily, while Shah is away. Please!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:01 AM   #749
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

(BB, please empty out your PM box )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-23-2005, 10:43 AM   #750
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

[Edited for flaming.] Lotesse, please, this is not going to solve anything.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Earniel : 09-23-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:50 AM   #751
Rían

(and btw, if you search on the Latin in my siggy, I come up!)

Old 09-23-2005, 11:51 AM   #752
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
TD, please, have a look at No. 231!!!
Rian and Lotesse, I have changed posts 228 and 231 to fit the story better. Please, have a look.
231? The RPG only has 140 posts.

ON the topic of the reporter. I don't know if it has been solved yet as I haven't read the latest RPG posts, but what about if the bit where it said she was a reporter was edited. The Nazgûl would know because of their ablity to pick at peoples brains, but couldn't say as it would expose their position.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 09-23-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:05 PM   #753
Rían

I think maybe that there's a problem here with the reporter like there was with rpg-Rian. I know that Lillly et al are Nazgul, but rpg-Rian doesn't, but because I knew, I had rpg-Rian act with more suspicion than was appropriate. You guys pointed this out, and we fixed it.

BB, from what I understand, she's a reporter, AND this is known in the rpg-world. So it seems like the rpg-people would know too, wouldn't they? And if they had something to hide, then they wouldn't want her at the party. Now if you want her there, we can suggest some different ways to get her there, but they need to be compatible with what the rpg-Nazgul would allow in their house. One example would be that she came with a person that they want to have be there because they want to plot against him/her, and it would rouse suspicions if they turned her away and let her friend in. And I think it would be funny to watch the Naz have to balance their desire to get rid of a reporter with their desire to charm the reporter's friend for their evil purposes. Do you see? All that's happening is that people are pointing out that their characters would not act a certain way, and asking for things to be modified, just like what happened with my rpg-Rian.

Now I can see how you got upset when you were presented with the certain death of your character , and that probably could have been done a little more diplomatically, but I think since then, people have demonstrated that they're very willing to come up with ways for things to work out, and have come up with some good possibilities.

Guys, I'm new at this, but it seems like we all need to be very open to change when we propose a storyline that specifies how other people's characters react. I think we can make this storyline work out, AND be consistent with everyone's characters. What do you guys think of the possibility I came up with - that the reporter comes with a person that the Nazgul want VERY much to be there and do NOT want to offend?

The good part of working with intelligent, creative people : a great rpg!
The down side : sometimes a bit of "hasty" (Hroom, hroom!) artistic tempers

Let's keep it going!

And I'm not really sure what to do next. I guess my character is basically reactive at this point. I'm guessing that the Nazgul character-minders have some kind of plot in mind and are driving the story, right?

Last edited by Rían : 09-23-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:06 PM   #754
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I have the greatest of respect for the mods that be, here in entmoot and especially in RPG, and ESPEcially in RPG who both play AND moderate. I am editing what I had here in this post, originally, because originally I was complaining that I wasn't being treated with equanimity in regards to this back-and-forth seemingly infinite BB fiasco.

If only we could move on...

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-24-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #755
Rían

BB - you have a big-time misunderstanding in your PM to me, but I can't clear it up because your box is FULL!! Please clear it out

I have to head off to the candy sale now, I'll be back hopefully in a few hours. Yesterday was AWFUL - they aren't careful with inventory, and that translates into several hours of wasted time hunting down errors for me.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:17 PM   #756
Earniel

Quote:
regarding the Eruhantale celebration: then can i suggest this be on neutral ground, and that henceforward in fairness to all players, should they continue, any open character events be staged away from orrodel. There is a whole city out there and if all events get deliberately or otherwise centred around orrodel all the time, this will not be fair to all players here involved.
I would take it as a given that the Eruhantale celebration takes place in more official places instead of Orrodel. There would possibly be a ceremony somewhere on a town square or on the university grounds and lots of celebrating in the streets (and pubs). Of course, the nazgul are entitled to their own private party but I gather this is not something they're keen on celebrating.

But you must understand that we have several characters living in Orrodel, so it is understandable that many events take place there since many of the players write them there. Once the classes begin, we'll probably see a shift to the university grounds.

TO ALL:
Look, there is something to say for everyone's position in the disputes. But you know, frankly I grow tired of trying to be reasonable while seeing fight after fight errupt here. I have never seen such a volatile RPG and that is saying a lot. The angry disputes eat more time than the actual playing! How logical is that? Bickering doesn't make anyone look good and it solves nothing.

Last edited by Earniel : 09-24-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:53 PM   #757
Earniel

The threads has now been re-opened, I hope it will go smoother now than 24 hours ago.

With deep regret I have to announce that I will be withdrawing from this game. It has become too difficult to know when I need to put on my moderator-cap and when I need to speak as a participant in the game. It will be better, for the benefit of the game also, that I withdraw from playing here.

It saddens me because this game has much potencial and it was fun while it lasted. But duty comes before pleasure and I take my responsibilities seriously. So I will not enter in any more disputes here unless there are rules broken or when my intervention is requested.

I will remain just long enough to wrap up Eärniel's story line before sending her back to Nîn-In-Eilph.

Sorry for the inconvenience and enjoy your game.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #758
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well, that's a suprise (and sad too) Earniel.

I only came on here to say, that in the interests of the rpg, i will leave.
maybe you could reconsider Earniel with me gone? Should be peaceful enough.

bye all! been fun (till just lately)

... and Gor: wasn't "sulking" though i CAN understand how you might think that from the discussion thread: was a matter of rpg principle: and my given word ... without those principles, it is pointless playing... or staying.

I did want to stay but despite lengthy pms on my part it still seems somewhat unresolved and hanging in the air at this point sadly, so because i am sick of silly arguments (i know you ALL are ) & not being able to enjoy simple rpging i shall leave: of my own free will and bearing absolutely no one any ill will whatsoever

so best to ALL of you. Enjoy the rpg: it does have real potential ..

BB
Old 09-24-2005, 03:37 PM   #759
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
With deep regret I have to announce that I will be withdrawing from this game. It has become too difficult to know when I need to put on my moderator-cap and when I need to speak as a participant in the game. It will be better, for the benefit of the game also, that I withdraw from playing here.

It saddens me because this game has much potencial and it was fun while it lasted. But duty comes before pleasure and I take my responsibilities seriously. So I will not enter in any more disputes here unless there are rules broken or when my intervention is requested.
Please, Earniel, it is quite possible to play and to be a moderator at the same time. I perfectly understand why you closed this thread for 24 hours. You were right doing it. We are perfectly capable to differentiate what you do as a mod and what you do as a player. You are one of the leading writers here and your input is crucial. Please, reconsider! Or at least give this game another chance!
Old 09-24-2005, 04:00 PM   #760
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Please, Earniel, it is quite possible to play and to be a moderator at the same time. I perfectly understand why you closed this thread for 24 hours. You were right doing it. We are perfectly capable to differentiate what you do as a mod and what you do as a player. You are one of the leading writers here and your input is crucial. Please, reconsider! Or at least give this game another chance!
Yes, what CS says here. Please reconsider, Earniel. Your writing here is irreplacable, and this rpg will suffer a great, great deal without your creative input. Can you give the game another chance, please??

BB - I am at a loss for words, except to note that this is not the first time you've left an RPG in a huff. It is truly unfortunate, but - whadda ya gonna do?

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-24-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Closed Thread