Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #741
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Tyaron suddenly found himself surrounded by half a dozen hideously clawed and fanged creatures.

They attacked, rending and ripping his calves, but thanks to his excellent swordplay did not get close enough to hurt the horse..

Tyaron set his spurs to and the horse galopped away leaving the Kree disolving into the nothingness from which they came, they not being able to hold the solid forms for long.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 01-15-2006 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #742
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Eärniel had purposefully lingered longer during her break before heading towards the Commerce class. It was perhaps silly, but Eärniel wondered just what she had gotten herself into this time by following this course.

She had little use for the class since she certainly wasn't envisioning to set up a large trade route towards Nîn-In-Eilph soon. In fact, she had only signed up for it because Basket Weaving was discontinued and she had spare time to fill.

But the curious reactions people seemed to have when the class was mentioned made her somewhat unsure, something she rather disliked.

Ach, she admonished herself with some annoyance while she hesitated another moment on the threshold. It's only one course. How hard can it be? I'm sure it will be a trifle compared to navigating the Frozen Sea near the Land of the Lossoth. Now that was something to wake up screaming in the middle of the night for the rest of your life.

She opened the door and entered the classroom. She noticed at once the many young women already seated; some glancing, some outright staring at the young King who was apparently too occupied with talking to R*an to notice. Eärniel was somehow eerily reminded of a group of hungry gulls eyeing a fish caught by the receding tide in a small puddle on the beach.

Of course, Eärniel corrected herself with a vague feeling of dread, I might have been very mistaken in my last assesment of this course...

Last edited by Earniel : 01-20-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:22 AM   #743
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Sir Bumbledore, Professor of Commerce, walked in. The usual taffeta dressing-gown, once a vivid blue, now faded to an unrecognizable grey, draped his portly figure. His left glass eye glinted ominously, but the normally piercing right eye was sleepily half-closed.

He looked around dazed... what was it he had wanted here? He furiously concentrated on the faces before him until they came into focus, and from the depths of his hungover head popped out two words... Commerce class!

He beamed and announced his thought loudly: "Commerce Class! I am Sir Bumbledore!Welcome, All!"

He noticed something strange... Girls, so many pretty girls... but so few girls ever took Commerce... and those who did were studious, uptight girls... these were the stylishly dressed, full-lipped and full-bossomed, voluptuous sort... yes, it was definitely his lucky year!

There were even two lovely Elven maidens! And... surely, that was the King! Was he supposed to bow? But that wouldn't do! You can't bow to your own students! He shuffled uneasily to his desk, until suddenly he recollected that there was a bevy of lovely girls watching his every movement, so he hastily sucked his stomach in, puffed out his chest, and regally marched.

Titters were barely suppresed and smiles hastily wiped off faces as he turned to them. He opened his mouth to start, and then shut it with a bang. Where were his notes? Oh, well, he could do without them! And, strangely,astoundingly, when he began speaking of Commerce, his vagueness vanished, and he was succinct, concise and very sure of himself!

Open mouths shut as the pretty girls realized what a disaster it would be if the King saw their mouths unattractively wide open. But even Valandil, with all his poise, couldn't suppress a startled stare at the deceptive old man. Who would have thought he could actually teach? He definitely did not look like it!

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here

Last edited by Serenoli : 01-16-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #744
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

While the old shabby Professor rambled on and on abut the importance of Commerce in the Modern World, Lilly sat alone on the first bench fuming inwardly. Curse the meddling Khamul and his untimely intervention! He was the only cause why the King escaped from her clutches! When Lilly entered, Valandil was safely seated between the two goluglob, one of them her own former housekeeper. The other two men, King's minders Ray and Marty, were also completely surrounded by attractive young ladies.

Lilly noticed two brightly clad girls she had met in the jeweler's shop yesterday. Seeing Lilly, both shot her disapproving glances and started whispering between themselves. Lilly's acute hearing enabled her to hear every word, and she didn't like what she heard a single bit.
"They will pay for it" thought Lilly, and brightened slightly, envisioning various tortures which she will inflict on them.

For lack of a better place, Lilly sat directly in front of the King on a lower bench. At least, Valandil was bound to have an unobstructed view of her décolleté. But, during the lesson, he never glanced there. At the end, Lilly was in a very foul mood.

When the class finally ended, the King went outside, flanked by the she-elves. Lilly remained behind and sat in a quiet corner by the Commerce building, thinking.

'The stinking goluglob! They are the main obstacle! Something must be done, and quickly, otherwise neither I nor Gordie will get a chance to ensnare King Val.'
'Gordie...' Lilly grinned happily. 'Perhaps? Yes!'

In a moment, she was running towards the Palace. She declared she was a friend of the Lady Aiwendis and was mortally worried about her health. Lilly was sure that the maid she spoke with didn't believe her, but she announced Lilaenwen's presence nevertheless. Soon Lilly was reluctantly admitted into Aiwendis's parlor.

Aiwendis was surprised to see Lilly, but concealed her surprise expertly. Lilly was happy to observe that the other looked awful: pale and drained and visibly unhappy.

'What a fool!' thought Lilly. 'If only I were in her place! I would have been Queen of the Nine and Queen of Arnor in no time! The Captain has an awful taste to prefer this pale goose to me!'

After some small talk, Lilly downed the goblet of wine Gordie has offered her and rose to leave. At the door, she turned and said in mind speech

'Look Gordie, darling. I have been to the Commerce and I was watching the King for you. He is completely taken with these two she-elves, Earniel and Rian. Tell the Captain, he has to do something about them, otherwise you will never become the Queen!'

Bowing to hide her wicked smile, Lilly left and headed home to Orrodel.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:34 PM   #745
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Late Tuesday Afternoon, Udu’s new house

Maethor grinned over to Tatyana, who lay lounging on the large bed. “How beautiful she looks,” he thought, “with her hair draped across the pillow like a dark cloak.”

“Go down to the kitchen,” he said, “and prepare a meal for my five warriors and yourself.”

“But, my lord,” she said in an Eastern tongue, “the months have been long since I have seen you. Please tarry with me a little longer! I have missed you so much!”

“I cannot, love, for I must go and supervise the work. The preparations must go on night and day to complete the structural components of two of the chambers. There is no need to hurry in building the rest of the cells just yet. Expect a ‘guest,’ soon,” he laughed.

“My lord, I am afraid!” she exclaimed. “I know what you truly are, for you confided that in me months ago. Now you tell me that the prisoner is to be one of your own kind!”

“There have never been secrets between us, Tatyana. Aye, the prisoner will be one like me, but she has proven unmanageable, and so she deserves some punishment.”

Rising from the bed, Tatyana put on an ornate silk brocade robe, and tied it with a belt. She walked over to him and looked up at his tall form. He caught her in his arms and held her.

“Everything will be quite safe, Tatyana, I assure you, so do not worry.” He kissed her lips gently. “Now I must go to see the progress of my men.”

She watched him as he walked out of the room and then sat back in the bed, putting her head in her hands. “How I worry about him,” she thought. “If anyone should guess his identity...”
Old 01-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #746
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

The Chancellor entered the Library and ascended the stairs to the Scriptorium. In this late hour there were only two scribes working there, copying priceless volumes and embellishing the margins with paintings of people and beasts. Sapthan was sitting at the Librarian's table, reading a big volume bound in dark green velvet. The Morgul Lord recognized a rare manuscript on the art of divination dating from the times of Ar-Pharazon. The nazgul chuckled inwardly.

Seeing the Chancellor, Sapthan rose and bowed. The Chancellor nodded in reply, but strolled towards the winding stair leading to the top of the Tower without a word. Up and up he went, passing several doors that led into the higher levels of the Tower, where thousands of priceless books were kept. At last the stair ended. The roof of Minas Aran was flat with four turrets at the corners. In the middle of the open space, the Observatory stood, its eight gracious arches supporting a domed ceiling. The high parapet screened the building completely from everyone but the birds in the sky.

The sun, bathing Tharbad in light since the morning, disappeared in heavy clouds. Early dusk descended on the city. The Morgul Lord stood by the parapet, waiting: it was the hour when winged messengers arrived with tidings. Many minutes passed. Then a dark speck appeared amidst heavy clouds, almost invisible in the darkness. Gliding soundlessly on pinioned wings a vulture descended on the roof and alighted on a wooden bench near the domed chamber of the Observatory.

It was Gyps the Griffon, dweller of the foothills of Hithaeglir, a honored member of the Guild of Predators, and the chief messenger of the Morgul Lord, now that the old Buteo the Buzzard was gone.

"They are there, at Lond Daer" croaked the griffon. "A dozen small ships. Great feast for the vultures". Gyps's beak and long featherless neck were covered in dried blood.

The Morgul Lord nodded. "Fly back and watch them. I will await more tidings tomorrow". The vulture silently left.

Two months ago, the Morgul Lord had dispatched the Buzzard with a letter to Lord Fuinur, ruler of Umbar, asking him to send several ships to plunder the villages along the Gwathlo and, eventually, try to attack Tharbad. The letter was sealed with the Morgul Lord's own sigil, the sickle moon with a ghastly grinning skull. It seemed that Fuinur remained true to old alliances, as here the Umbarians were at last!

The Chancellor smiled. The ships came in the nick of time. It was just the right moment to show the King the inadequacy of his maritime defenses and to persuade him to build a great fleet. The Morgul Lord was going to take over the scepter of Annuminas in foreseeable future, and wanted the kingdom to be strong and ready for war. It will take many a great ship to defend his new kingdom against the attacks from Gondor and from Mithlond...

The important thing now was to make the approaching ships outrun the news of their coming. Standing in the midst of the roof, invisible from the ground, the Morgul Lord lifted his hands and chanted a spell in an ancient tongue. The pall of heavy clouds hanging over the tower suddenly moved. A strong South-West wind picked up and sent the clouds flying inland.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:33 PM   #747
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Nazgul The Sagkúr and the Sìgsìg

Tuesday, just north of Lond Daer

“Captain,” the bloodied warrior panted, “all the booty and captives are on board the ships!”

“Then torch the village!” Captain Ollotarnon shouted, a blood-stained broad sword in his hand. “Cast the boats off! We make for fairer game!”

Heaving their shoulders against the stem of the single-mast shallow draft ship, the warriors and mariners slid it down the bank and into the waters of the Gwathlo near the ruins of Lond Daer. The captain jumped aboard the flag ship, The Sagkúr, and stood at the stem, wiping his bloodied sword on the hem of his tunic. “Lift oars!” the captain shouted and the men raised them into the air. “Dip oars! Stroke!” The pilot at the steering board located on the right side of the ship swung the vessel to the right. “Hope for a favorable wind or we will have to bend our backs to the oars all the way up river!” one of the rowers said to his mate beside him.

When the ships were in the main channel of the river, a strong southwestern wind began to pick up. The cry, “Hoist sail!” was heard. Above the fleet of twelve ships, the wind whipped the black flag of Umbar.

Captain Ollotarnon walked to a dark-bearded, tawny-skinned man who stood at the stern of Captain Ollotarnon’s flagship, the Sagkúr. The flag ship of the Haradric captain, the Sìgsìg, sailed nearby. “Shakh Ulfast, as you can see, we are successful.”

“Aye,” smiled the swarthy Haradric captain, “abundantly successful. All is in our favor, even the wind!”

Three other ships filled with booty and captives left the main fleet and turned, driving down river, rowing into the strong wind from the southwest.

“I shall journey with you aboard your ship upriver several leagues, Captain Ollotarnon, before I return to my own flag ship. This country is ripe for looting,” the shakh chortling, surveying the countryside. “When the plunder reaches the south, both your name and mine will be toasted at the docks of Umbar.” The two men clasped each other’s hands at the elbows in a warrior’s salute.

“The journey has been a long one, shakh, thirty days, but the end is in sight. Tharbad lies but three days to our north! Let us drink to the continuing success of our men and our ships!”

The two captains sat on the deck on reed mats as they toasted their countries, their ships, their crews, themselves, and as an after thought, “Here is to the Dark Lord, wherever He may be!”

“Aye, and may He soon return, for then the plunder would be even better!”

As the wind filled the sails, the rowers lifted their oars below the shield rack and set them in position. They cheered the captain as he ordered that the storage barrels be opened and ale distributed to the crew. The ships moved steadily up the river past the peaceful, beautiful land.

“They sleep in Arnor... let us hope they do not wake anytime soon,” Shakh Ulfast laughed.

Many mariners believe that a ship is a living entity with a spirit of its own, and the sailors of Umbar were no different. As with all creatures, the ship must have eyes by which it can “see.” The bright yellow eyes painted on the figurehead of the fierce wooden serpent at the stem of the ship leered menacingly as it moved towards the peaceful city of Tharbad.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:51 PM   #748
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

“Ah..!” Shah hoisted himself out of the water and onto one of the piers, Mahta close behind, “Nothing like swimming to sober a person up!”

“No joke,” Mahta agreed, attempting to wring the water out of her braid, “We’re going to regret this in the morning.”

“And let the young ones see us hung-over? Not a chance. I’ve got a remedy for that at my house if you’re up for one more drink.”

“It isn’t that concoction you learned in Imladris is it?” Mahta asked him, suspicious.

“You know it works.”

“It also tastes like fermented marsh gloop.”

“Gloop?”

“Definitely.”

Shah just laughed and got shakily to his feet, taking a moment to check his balance before offering a hand to Mahta, “Come on old girl, I’m not about to risk you getting into an argument with any of your colleagues while hung-over. You’d go for your mace and then where’d we be?”

“Rejoicing. It’s not like the Chancellor doesn’t deserve a good smack from my mace.” She rose, ignoring his hand, “But if you insist, onward to face the fermented marsh gloop!”

“It isn’t that bad if you drink it quickly enough.” Shah said, falling into step beside her, “But that’s beside the point. What in Arda did the Chancellor say to you?”

“Nothing, I told you.”

“Right, because you always drink for four hours straight and desire to crush people with your mace over nothing,” he replied dryly, “Out with it, Mahta. What’d he say?”

“He implied that I’ve been showing favoritism to the elven students. Never mind that we’ve only got two of them and that’s the most we’ve had in years. Just because I won’t let his pet Galadanunn bully one of them it gives him license to accuse me of neglecting all my other students regardless of the fact that I would defend any student in the same manner… and he called me an old maid.”

“Mahta…” Shah paused in front of his door, digging his key out of a squelchy pocket, “You are an old maid. You like being unmarried, remember?”

“Well yes, but he intended it as an insult, and it wasn’t aimed just at me, but at every other female elf effected by the war. With Morgoth, and later Sauron, in power, finding a husband simply wasn’t a priority for anyone.”

Shah opened the door and gestured her inside, “True, but even that’s hardly enough to get you as angry as you are.”

“He didn’t say anything else.” She said, sitting down.

“Mmhm.” He nodded for her to keep talking while he mixed the hangover cure.

“That’s part of the problem really." Her voice had a hysteric edge to it, "I keep thinking that he knows, and I keep waiting for him to say or do something to let on that he knows because it would be exactly the sort of power game he’d enjoy. He would love being able to hold that over my head. But he doesn’t say anything and so I don’t know if he knows or not and I don’t think I can take it, Shah.”

“If it’s any consolation to you darling’, I’m likely the only person in town who’d’ve understood that last.”

“Thanks.”

“Here.” He handed her a mug full of… stuff, “Drink up.”

“It’s disgusting, Shah.”

I’m drinking it.”

“Fine. Aule save me…” She held her nose and gulped it down as quickly as possible, grimacing madly in an effort not to gag. There were downsides to having heightened senses and this was one of them. “Any chance of tea to wash that down?” She asked plaintively.

“I’m out. We’ll have to go to your place,” Shah replied, holding back laughter.

“Get moving then, the sooner I get that taste out of my mouth the better!”

Once more they ventured out into the night, somewhat steadier on their feet this time.

“The stars are bright tonight.” Shah commented softly.

“Mm.”

“What? No hymns to Elbereth?”

“No, my friend... I leave the hymns to those whose families weren’t abandoned to madness and war.” Mahta’s voice was bitter.

“Fair enough.” Shah wisely dropped the subject, “Wind’s picking up,” he said, shivering. They picked up their pace and were soon standing outside Mahta’s door, “Wish I had thought to change before coming here.” Shah smiled ruefully.

“Get inside before you freeze!” Mahta scolded, finally getting the lock to cooperate and letting them in, “I’ve got some spare clothing you can wear… don’t look so scared, they’re men’s cloths.”

“Dare I ask where you got them?”

“Lot’s of cousins.”

“Mahta…”

“So they’re a little old…”

“Which age did you say these hand-me-downs were from?”

“I didn’t say. First.”

“First?”

“Age. They’ve been mended a bit.”

“I should hope so. You’ve been wearing things that were hand-me-downs in the First age?”

“Only in the forge…”

Shah rolled his eyes and followed her upstairs, “First chance I get, I’m dragging you to the tailor, Mahta.”

“Don’t be silly, get a fire going while I get them, will you?"

Mahta disappeared into her bedroom. By the time she emerged, dressed in dry cloths, Shah had a fire going in the hearth and had lighted the lamps around the sitting room.

“Here.” She shoved a bundle of clothing into his arms and pointed him towards the bathing room, “There are towels in there. Get dried off and change. I’ll make us some tea.”

He rejoined her as she was removing the strainers and adding honey to sweeten it. “Now,” he said, taking his mug, “Why don’t you tell me why the Chancellor worries you so much.”

“Are you going watchman on me Shah?”

“Yes. And I’m trying to figure out what’s got my friend ready to jump out of her skin. Seriously, Mahta! I haven’t seen you this nerve-wracked since we first met. Tell me what’s wrong.”

She sipped at her tea, stalling, “How much have I told you about Eregion?”

“More than you’ve told any other, save Elrond maybe.”

“I’m not sure how to explain it.” She warned.

“Do your best.”

“It’s… his presence, he has that way of coming up behind and lurking in the shadows and just… watching. I don’t like being watched. An - He used to do that to me in Eregion. I hated it; and Celebrimbor would never take me seriously when I asked him to intervene. Anyway, the Chancellor did that to me today and it felt just the same as it did when… for a moment I thought I was back there and that it was Him in the doorway and not just the Chancellor. Am I being paranoid? Please say yes.”

“When you’re on the verge of falling apart in a place where you used to feel safe? What sort of a friend do you think I am?” Shah demanded.

“A better one than that, I’m sorry. Dear Iluvatar… I’m at a loss. I can’t pretend anymore that he doesn’t realize that it unnerves me; I can’t tell him why and demand that he stop; and I don’t want to dare think about the implications if he’s doing it on purpose!”

“He was held captive for an awfully long time during the war.” Shah peered into his mug, thinking, “And he’s been bringing in his friends from the east… who knows what he got up to over there.”

“Not that there’s much we can do. He’s the King’s cousin.”

“Hmm… I confess I can’t think much more tonight. What say we sleep on it? Perhaps things will look better in the morning.”

“I hope so,” Mahta collected the mugs and took them into the kitchen, “Any idea how late it is?”

“It’s at least two past midnight by now, would you prefer I stay?” He asked.

Mahta paused, “Yes… I think I would. That couch makes a decent bed. There are extra blankets in that basket there.”

“I’ll stay then.” Shah reached down for the basket indicated, “My shift doesn’t start till sunrise.”

“I should be awake by then.”

“Only if you go to sleep now.”

“’Night, Shah.”

“Rest well, darlin’.”
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 01-20-2006 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:38 AM   #749
CrazySquirrel

Tuesday evening.

Lilly strolled home to Orrodel whistling a merry tune. Her latest scheme worked well, she managed to fool Gordie, the silly trusting Gordie! Or should she say "Aiwendis", now? Lilly laughed derisively.

Gor will tell the Morgul Lord, of course. Lilly thought how clever she had been not to go to the Captain herself. He had an uncanny ability to see through Lilly's schemes, right to the bottom of her mind. Gordie had no such power. Now the Captain would get rid of the meddling she-elves, leaving the King helpless before Lilly's many charms.

On her way, she met two girls from her Commerce class, one with too long a nose for her own good, another a bit too bony. The noble ladies pulled their skirts out of the way, and looked at the whistling Lilly with affected disdain. Lilly was in an excellent mood, so she hadn't resisted pulling a face at them and showing them the tip of her rosy tongue. The ladies pulled back, shocked.

Lilly's face brightened even more, when she thought of the wonderful life she would have in Orrodel now. The Captain was displeased with Khamul, and the Easterling was gone. She decided to throw a big party, just for herself, Buz and Viv. Drinking and dancing all night!

But when she came to Orrodel, she found Buz and Viv gone. Lilly was undoubtedly with her sweetheart, Ray. Buz was likely getting sloshed in his favorite riverside taverns, like this Rotting Cod.

Too bad. Lilly had dinner alone and then sat at the table sipping wine and thinking to go for a lonely stroll and some shopping. But just before she was ready to leave, there came a knock on the door .

"My Lady", said Zimra, "there is someone who wishes to see you. It is about the housekeeper's job."

"A new housekeeper?" cried Lilly excitedly. Then she frowned. "I hope she is not one of them stinking Elves?"

Zimra wondered privately why anyone would call Elves "stinking", but kept her question for herself. Instead, she smiled and replied, blushing slightly

"Nay, it's a man. A nice young man, quite poor by the looks of him, but very gentle and polite."

She could have added that she found the newcomer very handsome and attractive in a way that makes a woman want to prepare him a good meal and sit watching how he eats, to mend his shabby clothes and stroke his long blonde hair...

Lilly noticed her blush, as she was a sharp observer, when it had anything to do with men. Hmm... the newcomer must be attractive. She smoother her hair, adjusted her bodice, and sent Zimra to bring the applicant to the dining room.

"Now, young man", started Lilly in her lilting voice. Then she stopped abruptly and peered at the newcomer. Her jaw dropped.

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 01-18-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:17 AM   #750
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Tuesday evening

The dozen Shree-Kryhnn having found the secret entrance to the abandoned house snuck into the corridor and decrepit house at the eastern wall.

Later that evening they went out to prey on the city's unsuspecting citizens.
Blood flowed in the narrow streets near the house as the vicious creatures ambushed lonely walkers in the dark.

Meanwhile, outside Tharbad hundreds of Buzzards, Falcons, Hawks and Ospreys were preparing for the co-ordinated attack with the shipborne raiding party.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 01-18-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:37 PM   #751
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Sunrise, Wednsday Morning

The wind was stronger up on the walls. Mahtaliel and Shah had risen early and climbed to the highest point on the walls surrounding the university. They liked watching the sunrise from the point, elevated by both the hill and the stone one could see all across the city and several leagues down the river.

The wind was strong this morning.

"Shah..." Mahtaliel frowned, eyes fixed on distant patch of sky, "Does that look like smoke to you?"

"Whe-? Wait... blowing from downriver? Yeh. I see it."

"Think it means trouble?"

"We'll find out soon enough. Thick enough to see, it can't be too far away. I'm taking a patrol out this morning, we'll go and have a look."

Mahtaliel tore her eyes away from the hazy sky and followed her friend back down the stairs. If there was trouble coming, they'd be ready.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 01-20-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:11 PM   #752
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

"Good evening, Miss Lilanwaen. I heard there was a vacant post for the house-keeper's job here." Tolvadok said loudly, to cover Lily's quite apparent shock.

Get the maid out of here, Lily, before she realises you know me.

She started, and then dismissed Zimra with a curt nod. Tolvadok closed the door shut behind her retreating back. Then he turned to Lily, who had composed herself.

"What do you want here, Tol? Is this some kind of joke? Or did you think that housekeeping excuse up just to see me?" At the last words, her eyes assumed their usual flirtatious note.

He was tempted to be very harsh... really, she never stopped flirting! But he did not intend to fail like Khamul had, and he knew much of his success would depend on how well he could make the others accept his position here. So, his voice took on the characteristic sauve politeness.

"No, this is no joke, the Morgul Lord felt that I should be put here just to keep an eye on things, and the house-keeping job was the best ruse that offered itself."

"What exactly do you mean by keeping an eye on things?" Lily's voice had the deadly steely calm that precedes storms. Well, if there was going to be a storm, he might as well give up the politeness.

"Basically, it means I have to keep an eye on you three. Make sure you don't do anything else indiscreet, shall we say? Especially, you, my dear Lilanwaen." He disregarded her rapidly fuming face, and only went on faster, realixing that once she opened her mouth to start cursing him, he would get no chance at all to get a word in edgeways. "Did you really think the Morgul Lord knows nothing of you gadding about town, and drawing attention to us in every scandalous way possible?"

Last edited by Serenoli : 01-18-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #753
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Wednesday at dawn
outside the city gates

R*an and Alagos stood together just outside the city gates, watching the sky blush delicate shades of pink at the touch of the rising sun. Alagos turned and looked at his sister, admiring the matching rosy blush on her cheeks with brotherly pride.

"You look better this morning, sister," he said, leaning down and kissing her forehead. "Did you sleep well last night?"

"Yes, I did," she answered. "It's just so wonderful having you here with me again! I won't let anyone ruin my good mood today, not even that awful Professor Galadannun! The other professors and uni workers have all been pleasant and interesting and helpful, so I won't let one ill-mannered, boorish professor ruin it for me."

Alagos smiled, but his eyes showed his concern. "Just remember what I said about him, R*an - please just try to avoid him altogether, if you can. Please, for me? I don't usually ask much of you..."

"Well, that's debatable! ... but I will be glad to take your advice on this subject, for I despise the man heartily!" They both turned and looked down the road to dispel the slight awkwardness that had arisen with R*an's reference to Alagos's role in forcing a courtship on her that she didn't want.

R*an heard a slight sigh from her brother. "I know you don't like what I did about Tyaron," he started, but R*an interrupted him.

"I'm sorry, that was rude of me to bring it up in that manner. Please forgive me?" She took his hand and gave it a squeeze. "I know you did what you think was best - I can live with it for a year, and perhaps it's better to just have it out, anyway."

"Yes, I think it is," he answered quietly, then turned to look down the road again. A movement on the road caught his attention, and he shaded his keen eyes with his hand and then gave an exclamation of surprise.

"I think that's Tyaron!" he said in a surprised tone. "He's back earlier than I thought he would be - I guess he finished his business quickly!" He paused a moment, and then added thoughtfully, peering at the approaching rider, "But still, he must have ridden hard to be back this soon..."

"What was his business, anyway?" R*an asked, joining her brother in looking down the road. "You two never told me!" She hoped it wasn't to get her some present or something - that would just be a waste of time, and it would be awkward for both of them for her to have to refuse it.

When Alagos didn't answer, she looked up at him curiously. She saw him tense suddenly as he looked more intently at the horse and rider, and an odd feeling started in the pit of her stomach. "What is it, Alagos? You see better than I do ..." She trailed off at the sharp intake of his breath.

"Something's wrong, R*an," he said, and took off running down the road. R*an followed as fast as she could, but she was no match for her fleet-footed brother.

As R*an ran towards Tyaron and Hwesta, she soon saw what had caused Alagos's concern - the mare's lovely grey coat was covered with blood. "Hwesta! Hwesta - what happened?" she cried out as she ran up to her horse, not even noticing the rider leaning over the mare's neck. She put a gentle hand on the mare's flank and started examining her closely, only half-noticing that Alagos seemed to be doing something to Tyaron's leg.

"Hwesta is fine, R*an," came Tyaron's faint, exhausted voice. "That's only my blood - I ... " He paused and started again. "We were attacked by some wild animals - I was able to keep them off her, but they got to me..." He stopped, out of breath and faint from loss of blood.

"You idiot!" snapped Alagos at Tyaron, examining a loosely-tied bandage with anger. "What were you thinking? What type of bandage job is this?" he muttered savagely, tightening up the blood-soaked cloth, his fear at his closest friend's dangerous condition coming out in anger. While R*an had been worried about her mare, Alagos had seen the real problem, and had been examining Tyaron's wounds and tightening up the loose bandages.

Alagos turned to R*an and said to her in a low, urgent voice, "Run quickly back to town, find a surgeon, tell him we have an elf with major blood loss from an animal attack, and get him to the house. I'll come with Tyaron as fast as I can."

R*an couldn't move - she couldn't stop staring at Tyaron, his familiar face a sickly grey-white and distorted with pain. "I'm ... I'm sorry," she started to say, ashamed at how she had only been concerned about her horse and not the man that had given her the horse.

Alagos turned on her, his bright eyes flashing in anger. "Go!" he yelled. NOW!"

R*an took off running.

Alagos finished tightening the bandages, then leapt up lightly behind Tyaron and held him securely. "What type of an idiot bandage job was that, brother?" he chided Tyaron, trying to keep him conscious as he urged the mare into a brisk walk. "A lad of 5 could have done a better job than you did! The worst archer in Gondolin could have done better than you did!" He was rewarded with a weak chuckle for that last line.

"I wanted ... to get Hwesta back ... to R*an ... unharmed," came the faint reply, broken up by the labored breaths.

"You're more important than a horse, you git of a swordsman," shot back Alagos, then immediately regretted it, remembering R*an's current attitude towards Tyaron and realizing that Tyaron probably knew it, too. He tried a different tack. "Besides, I just met some great guys - good warriors despite being swordsmen and not knowing much about archery - I want you to meet them. It will be fun to spar with them!"

This time, there was no response.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 01-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #754
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Placeholder. Khamûl and Udu talk and prepare building work in Udu's cellar.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 01-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #755
CrazySquirrel

Tuesday evening, Orrodel

"Did you really think the Morgul Lord knows nothing of you gadding about town, and drawing attention to us in every scandalous way possible?" sneered Tolvadok.

Lilly bared her teeth in a wolfish snarl. Her eyes were now burning with inhuman hellish light.

Zimra, who had originally stopped some distance from the closed door, in hope to await the outcome of the interview, suddenly felt frightened. There was no apparent reason for her fear, but still she ran like a hare all the way to her room in the servant's wing, locked the door and curled in a corner of her bed, shaking.

"Curse ye all!" yelled Lilly. "The Captain, Khamul, Udu, you! All you high-and-mighty men, who have nothing better to do, than to spy on a poor girl!" Lilly added some observations fit to make an orc blush.

"Get OUT of MY house! NOW!"
And to emphasise her point Lilly flung a heavy decanter with red wine at Tol's head. The silver saucer followed. Tolvadok expertly ducked, letting both missiles fly over his head and crush on the far wall. Then Lilly came at him. Caught out of balance, Tolvadok crushed to the floor, dragging Lilly with him. She had no weapons, but her long purple nails were not a small threat. Lilly was heavier than the thin and wiry Tol, but, for all his delicate built, he was a seasoned fighter. Soon he had Lilly pinned beneath him, and pressed her hands with now bloody claws to the floor.

"Calm down, Lilaenwen, before I say a spell - and that will really hurt!" Tolvadok warned sternly, trying to look directly in Lilly's face and NOT lower. Lilly's dress, which was fixed to her shoulders rather precariously, had slipped during the fight, and now her gorgeous breasts were exposed.

Lilly, with her uncanny ability to stay tuned to men's mood, noticed his shifty gaze and understood the reason immediately. Anger drained from her eyes; now they were green, bottomless and deceptively sweet. Lilly sighed languorously, her bosom heaving. Tolvadok watched, as if entranced, as Lilly's full rosy lips moved nearer and nearer to his own...
Old 01-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #756
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Wednesday, mid-morning
The park around Amon Amrun

Eärniel had found a perfect spot, here the park touched the Gwathló and the sounds of the city were muted by the trees and bushes. The grass was pleasant to sit on and bushes still offered some privacy.

Eärniel took of her shoes and stepped with her bare feet into the water. The sand whirled up shortly and settled again each time she moved her feet. She bent forward and ran her fingers through the cool water.

"I am here," she said habitually before turning back and sitting down on the riverbank, listening to the mumbling songs and stories of the river, her feet still dangling in the water.

Nearby a kingfisher staked out a branch hanging over the water. The bird sat motionless, patiently looking down before occasionally diving, resurfacing and settling back on the branch. Sometimes he was lucky, sometimes he had missed.

The kingfisher dived again, but as he resurfaced a white blur suddenly appeared, almost out of nowhere, swooped down, and in one motion snatched the fish out of the kingfishers's beak. It nearly dragged the smaller kingfisher along, before it finally climbed higher in the air, while screaming triumphantly (and somewhat mockingly).

The kingfisher, as soon as it regained its wits, started chattering angrily, possibly insulting every egg in the white thief's nest. Then it flew off, to find a more quiet and peaceful fishing spot elsewhere.

"You are such a bad-mannered glutton," Eärniel said, shaking her head disapprovingly, as the white blur landed a few feet to her right and became recognizable as Faénn the gull. Faénn would have grinned, if its features had allowed for such expressions, and if it hadn't been busy with swallowing the tail of the unfortunate fish.

"I was looking for you," Faénn said as soon as the fish was gone. "We're leaving Tharbad and heading back to sea until summer or so. So no need to save any more fish for me."

"So soon?" Eärniel asked surprised. "You only just arrived and you said there wasn't much to eat in the sea this time of year. What's wrong with the fish from Tharbad?

"It's not the fish that's wrong, it's the company." Faénn's eyes shifted left and right, as if to see whether there was no one eavesdropping. Only then did he continue. "Other gulls are getting rather edgy in Tharbad all the same. Too far from the sea to be good. And the predator birds are up to something, which would be enough reason for any bird to be elsewhere."

"But Faénn, gulls are predatory birds too." Eärniel pointed out, somewhat amused. "Alternating between trying to be vicious predators and cowards, but still."

"T'is different, trust me. We're Ossë's birds afterall, spent too much time on the sea. You know what it's like. We're not as neutral as the other Predator Guild species are. And now some of them are making some shady allies and picking sides, and I can tell you: it's not the one where you and me are on."

Eärniel hit the ground with the palm of her hand, getting frustrated. "Why must you be so cryptic? What shady allies? There has been no trouble since the end of the war."

"I don't enjoy being cryptic. Well, usually I do," Faénn corrected himself, "but not in this. Naturally, the other predators aren't really forthcoming with details. We were also somewhat unsettled to notice that not a single gull arriving from the south has joined us since yesterday, while we still were expecting some. It could be coincedence but we're sort of not taking chances." Faénn chuckled. "You did mention cowards, didn't you? If there is one thing you can trust a gull to do, it is to live up to its reputation."

"Are you saying that Tharbad is about to become too dangerous?"

"Who knows? For gulls at least, it seems. But I'd rather jump at merely shadows than having the entire darkness of evil smack my feathers. So you just be careful all the same. I'll be sure to give Cirdan your regards. Goodbye!"

Last edited by Earniel : 01-25-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #757
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Tuesday Evening, Orrodel

At that moment, the front door crashed open, shattering the glass out of the windows in the front room and sending splinters of wood from the doorframe spraying everywhere. Filling up the entire entrance opening was the giant, hulking form of Buz, looking monstrous with rage. Within a split second, he was at the astonished fighters, and with one massive hand he reached down and pulled Tolvadok off Lilly by his blonde hair and flung him against the opposite wall like a flailing puppy. Taking off his deep crimson riding cloak, he wrapped it around Lilly's shoulders and bosom, and held her, while returning his brutishly furious glare at Tolvadok.

For a long moment, no one said anything at all.

It was Lilly who broke the electric silence, doing her best to turn her surprise and glee at seeing Buz break in into a theatrical performance of shivers and tears.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 01-20-2006, 09:27 PM   #758
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Tuesday evening placeholder

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 01-21-2006, 12:44 AM   #759
Serenoli

Frozen in time, Tolvadok watched helplessly as Lily burst into tears, intensifying the already horrible expression on Buz's face. Then, suddenly his helplessness changed into a fury as great as the one gripping Buz. Righteous anger at being an innocent nazgul, who had only tried to follow orders, and any second now Lily would be accusing him of nameless horrors!

"Oh, just stop the waterworks, will you?" He savagely shouted.

Of course, that had the opposite effect, and the volume actually increased a notch or two. She was now sobbing with a simpering expression on her face, but being very careful that very few tears actually escaped her eyes, otherwise her nose would become red, and that'd be a disaster! Buz looked tenderly at her and murmured, "What did he do to you, my poppet?"

"Come on, Buz, can't you see she's not really crying, she's just faking it? Tears only work on mortals! Can't you tell that her real emotions at this moment are triumph and joy?"

Buz was preparing to lunge at him, when it suddenly occured to him that if he blotted out the noisy tears, the only anger and resentment in the room came from Tol, whereas Lily- Lily was radiating joy...

Last edited by Serenoli : 01-21-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:09 AM   #760
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

6 of the Shree-Kryhnn went outside the citywalls to forage for live bait, them being partial to it, and the remaining half-dozen remained inside continuing their nightly predatory expeditions.

There appeared to be something in the works. They had heard rumours of a pirate fleet sailing up the river, and was now savouring the thought of the expected windfall to come, of wounded soldiers on whom they could feast.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 01-21-2006 at 12:36 PM.