Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #741
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Youre right. Their "agenda" is to oppose discrimination and promote equality. How outrageous! Lets pass nefarious laws against this kind of ungodly thinking.

So who is this "April Working Group" anyway and why (once again) do you assume they speak for all homosexuals and non traditional degenerates you like to lump in with them?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:05 PM   #742
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Executive Summary (click here to read the full statement)
I click, and I click, but nothing happens! Your link is broken.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:49 PM   #743
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
And, what's really out at the OUTGAMES ?

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...cb06cc62c3&p=1

Yep, you got it! Intolerance.

And in Canada, too!
I actually was at the Outgames and I did not see a single display of intollerance. The atmosphere was actually extremely freindly. I was not at the opening cerimony mentioned in the article, but it seems to me that booing a representative of the government in that context hardly qualifies as intolerance.
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:23 PM   #744
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Given that the Conservatives were opposed to gay marriage, and that Harper vowed to reverse the decision if elected, it's hardly surprising that the crowd would not welcome a visit from a government that is trying to strip them of their rights and return them to a legal status of being second-class citizens.
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:52 PM   #745
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Look carefully and you'll find the next step is to not "regard the number of partners". Agenda? What agenda?
Better yet. Abolish marriage as a civil institution all together.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #746
truthiscool
Enting

I thought that this was a thread about gays ect..........................
Old 08-14-2006, 04:59 PM   #747
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well, we are a happy bunch, if that is what you mean?
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:34 PM   #748
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
ooo, get her

and now for something completely different - i was watching tv earlier, like i do most of the time as i have no life and i saw something about people's perceptions on other people and the generally held notion from those interviewed was that the stereotypical views were what those people thought was correct, which is of course absurd...i mean the minute i start acting like dafydd thomas from little britain is the minute that i aint myself anymore
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:23 AM   #749
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
and now for something completely different - i was watching tv earlier, like i do most of the time as i have no life and i saw something about people's perceptions on other people and the generally held notion from those interviewed was that the stereotypical views were what those people thought was correct, which is of course absurd...i mean the minute i start acting like dafydd thomas from little britain is the minute that i aint myself anymore
Lol, the only gay in the village

I guess if people have no life and watch tv all the time (not you Chrys), they get tv mixed up with reality. Tv is their substitute for life experience and if they watch shows like Little Britain... hehe, it's too horrible to think about. Anyway this only accounts for the lazy bums. Other people who still think the stereotypical views are correct, well that's just a shame.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #750
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Sometimes there's a two-way thing where people might expect you to behave in a certain way, and as a result you do. I've seen that, in the process of coming out, there is a bit of to-ing and fro-ing. Inevitably so, since there is suddenly a whole new raft of behaviours available which were previously off-limits, and people need to find their own way.

On the TV thing, here's an interesting anecdote from the experience of a friend who is transsexual. He (used to be she) was terrified of telling his granny, for various reasons: he'd been her only granddaughter (if you see what I mean), his granny was ultra-conservative, and his experiences of telling other, more (seemingly) liberal members of the family had been fraught to say the least.

However, the time eventually came when it could not be hidden under the carpet any longer (I think it was when his voice broke). Her reaction was "oh I saw a programme on the telly about it", give him a big massive hug and offer to pay for the rest of his operations out of her life savings. So TV can open minds as well as close them...
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #751
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

What a sweet granny.

Reminds me, I saw on tv today that Ricki Lake was having an American Drag Queen Idol competition. Lol!

Perhaps exposure of homo/bi/trans persons on tv and other media makes society as a whole more tolerant.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:56 AM   #752
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Can do I think, particularly if they would not (knowingly) come into contact with such people in real life.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #753
truthiscool
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
realy now thats interesting.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #754
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I always shudder when watching old movies and the people say "they are gay" or "the evening is gay", etc. As I wonder what those actors would feel in todays redefined meaning of the word. The innocense of language seems to have been lost.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #755
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Reminds me, I saw on tv today that Ricki Lake was having an American Drag Queen Idol competition. Lol!
Now, that would be worth watching!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #756
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
I always shudder when watching old movies and the people say "they are gay" or "the evening is gay", etc. As I wonder what those actors would feel in todays redefined meaning of the word. The innocense of language seems to have been lost.
I know what you mean- like when someone says "that's seems queer" or "he's a a queer one"
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #757
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

It took me quite a while to find out what people actually meant with the sort of expression like 'that's so gay' when I first heard them.

In my mind those phrases always brought up images of people happily walking over sunny meadows waving with lots of brightly coloured ribbons. Because that's what the dictionary said when I looked it up: "without worry, cheerful, having fun, brightly coloured".

It caused me quite some confusion, because how could that be bad?

Last edited by Earniel : 08-17-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:43 PM   #758
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

ever feel like you're swimming in one direction, and when you turn a different way you feel like it is easier that way, or something? i say this because i seem to have entered that stage in life where you discard everything you thought you knew about yourself, i dont believe i quite know what sexuality i actually am anymore but then, i am only 20 - i'm sure i will figure my world out eventually
Old 09-04-2006, 05:49 PM   #759
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
ever feel like you're swimming in one direction, and when you turn a different way you feel like it is easier that way, or something? i say this because i seem to have entered that stage in life where you discard everything you thought you knew about yourself, i dont believe i quite know what sexuality i actually am anymore but then, i am only 20 - i'm sure i will figure my world out eventually
*shakes your hand* Chrys, I'm going through that stage myself, right now. And I feel it's a good thing.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:51 PM   #760
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

we'll see where i end up