Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 05:01 PM   #741
Elf Girl
Lurker

LOOKEEEE! http://home.earthlink.net/~sunspot1212/

Last edited by Elf Girl : 09-27-2003 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:03 PM   #742
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I myself like ld and m.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Old 07-15-2003, 05:05 PM   #743
Elf Girl
Lurker

The content of that post completely escaped me.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:05 PM   #744
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Who is her boyfriend, because I've heard that spoon thing before... And some inappropriate things that come after it... Yuck.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Old 07-15-2003, 05:08 PM   #745
Elf Girl
Lurker

I cannot reveal that to you over the Net my friend... I would most probably be beheaded by TC...
Old 07-15-2003, 06:05 PM   #746
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Ooh, cool, ElfGirl! I'll try to send in a sample to add to your site - how fun!

I don't know Elbereth by heart, so I'll have to dig up my copy to search for the hidden error.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 07-15-2003, 06:19 PM   #747
Elf Girl
Lurker

It's hardly 'hidden'... Glaringly obvious from my point of view. (It was a wee bit of an accident. I have yet to produce a perfect 'Elbereth'.)
Old 07-15-2003, 06:59 PM   #748
Elf Girl
Lurker

Today I'm doing Earendil... I've filled three and a half sheets of calligraphy paper and have four more verses to go...

Quote:
I myself like ld and m.
Ah, now I understand. (what you meant.)

EDIT: Did one more verse *pant pant* three to go...

Last edited by Elf Girl : 07-15-2003 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:35 AM   #749
katya
Elven Maiden

hey i'm back....yeah, last year my cabin (at fine arts camp) was full of lotr fans. this year everyone just liked harry potter. oh well. i did write something in tengwar on my nametag by my bed though. i can't remember what it said. i think it said "rurouni kenshin" not that it mattered because no one could read it...
Old 07-26-2003, 10:53 AM   #750
Elf Girl
Lurker

Ooh! I taught my cousin Tengwar!
Old 09-27-2003, 02:54 PM   #751
Elf Girl
Lurker

Hallo! Don't want this thread dying, I love the pretty tengwar.

Check out the calligraphy at fellowship of the word-smiths! http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/

I also think I got my mom into it. (She was just like me when she was younger. She says she used to pass notes in the Cirth to her friends at school.) I showed her the lovely illuminations at Amanye Tenceli and she printed one out and hung it on the wall. So I printed out a self-compiled Tengwar-for-beginners sheet I've been handing out at school and gave it to her, and she said she'd try it. Whee! Fun! (by the way, if anyone wants the tengwar-for-beginners sheet, it's a word document so I'd be glad to attach it in an email.)
Old 09-28-2003, 06:41 PM   #752
katya
Elven Maiden

Hey everyone! How's everyone doing? Hey, Elf Girl, would you mind emailing me the Tengwar for beginners? I haven't written much in a while, so I could use a refresher, and anyway, I'm curious to see how you did it. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2003, 10:49 PM   #753
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Quote:
Originally posted by OrnelÃ*rë Mistë
Who is her boyfriend, because I've heard that spoon thing before... And some inappropriate things that come after it... Yuck.
Ah, yes...Sorry, I haven't been around in ages. *ducks flying objects flung at her head by angry Mooters* The spoon thing is from a videoclip thingy called "Rejected", about a cartoonist who was commissioned to create ads for various products/tv shows, and who blew it all off and did very strange things instead. Needless to say, they were Rejected. And yes, some very strange and inappropriate things follow the spoon bit, said by a dancing cloud-puff?

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-03-2003, 03:17 PM   #754
Carmen
Sapling

help me needs

hello!

umm i'm having a small problem here so i thought to myself "now why don't i log on and ask the Mooters?". so i did.

so, i'm trying to write this thing in Sindarin, in Tengwar/Tethar mode. and in my smart 'Tengwar chart' it says there are two characters for the sound 'r'. Now i don't know how that works.

the one inside the words i get. It's the 'final r' I don't get. I mean, does it reffer to words where the exact last letter is 'r', like 'magor', or does it also reffer to words where 'r' is before the last letter, like these verbs:'tiro', 'caro', or 'acharn'.

oh and btw what is the diffrence in pronounciation (spl/) ? (for the two 'r'-s, i mean)

well, thanks in anticipation, (hope you'll answer).
bye-bye.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:58 PM   #755
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I don't think there is a difference in pronunciation for the Sindarin mode, but in Quenya at least one is trilled (as far as I know). Can you trill an R before a vowel? I can't trill r's at all/

Old 10-07-2003, 08:15 PM   #756
Elf Girl
Lurker

Me neither. Heh.

I found a quill pen and some bottled ink in the basement, and did a rather nice version of 'A Elbereth' with them.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:09 PM   #757
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hi Carmen, nice to meet another Tengwar lover!

I just do English-mode Tengwar, tho, so I can't help you.

Have you seen any of our attachments? It's fun to see how others write Tengwar - it's very individual.

Can you read my avatar?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-11-2003, 06:54 PM   #758
Carmen
Sapling

hello again, mooters!

of course i can trill R's (my language trills them all...)
so i guess i'll never know when to use which 'r' i Sindarin...

i _can_ read your avatar, Rian 'haf'elven! (by the way, how come your name is Riian, whit a long 'i', and your avatar says Rian, whit a short one? ) (..umm and how did you do it )

I'll check your attachements, although i'm kinda sleepy rigth now, maybe tomorrow...

hope i can keep i touch,
bye-bye
Old 10-13-2003, 03:23 PM   #759
cian
Enting

Originally posted by Carmen: '... It's the 'final r' I don't get. I mean, does it reffer to words where the exact last letter is 'r', like 'magor', or does it also reffer to words where 'r' is before the last letter, like these verbs: 'tiro', 'caro', or 'acharn'.'

In the Sindarin King's Letter (third copy, which uses vowel-tehtar) we find examples of óre used finally, and going by that system rómen could arguably be used for your last three examples.

Originally posted by Carmen: 'oh and btw what is the diffrence in pronounciation (spl/) ? (for the two 'r'-s, i mean).'

According to J.R.R. Tolkien in Appendix E: 'R represents a trilled r in all positions; the sound was not lost before consonants (as in English part)'.

Same appendix, Tolkien also notes that: 'Thus 21 (óre) was often used for a weak (untrilled) r, originally occuring in Quenya and regarded in the system of the language as the weakest consonant of the tincotéma; ...' -- and later indeed notes that 25 (rómen) was used for 'full' trilled r.

Hmmm. Seemingly in Tolkien's roman orthography r represents a trilled r in all positions ... and we note the wording regarding a weak untrilled r 'originally occuring in Quenya'.

Anyway, here's a major Tolkien linguistic scholar, David Salo, on the subject in general, with reference to Quenya Namárie -- and somewhat recently it seems, due to his apparent reference to 'Ms. Tyler':

'R represents a trilled r in all positions; the sound was not lost before consonants'. But individual production of the sounds (or ability to produce them!) of course may differ. Tolkien seems to acknowledge a difference in pronunciation of the r based on position in his tengwar transcription of Galadriel's Namárie (which is in Quenya) in The Road Goes Ever On song book; there the r is generally written with rómen (tengwa 25) but when final with óre (tengwa 21). He also uses óre before a consonant, as in ortane 'raised', mornie 'darkness', but for ry he uses rómen with two dots under it (to indicate 'following y'). There, says Tolkien (still in App. E) 'was often used for a weak untrilled r, originally occurring in Quenya and regarded in the system of that language as the weakest consonant of the tincotéma.' So, maybe some elves did use distinction comparable to the one you've observed in Ms. Tyler's diction.' ~David Salo

Back to the King's Letter, Danny Andries theorizes that KL III is in a mannish mode of Minas Tirith. In any event you could say your piece is written in 'KL III mode' and 'copy' the use of rómen and óre therein -- over at Mellonath Daeron Per Lindberg currently suggests to use rómen except at the end of words, and gives an example of how CurunÃ*r might be written.

¤

Last edited by cian : 10-14-2003 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:38 PM   #760
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Carmen
(by the way, how come your name is Riian, whit a long 'i', and your avatar says Rian, whit a short one? )
'Coz I like it that way I don't like long vowel carriers, and English-mode Tengwar (or "mannish mode of Minas Tirith", as cian says) is pretty informal.

And of course, it's "haf", not "half", because it's phonetic.

How I did it? I wrote it out, scanned it in, and reduced it to 60x60 pixels so it could be an avatar.

Nice to meet you, cian! I'm glad to see my thread revived with some new Tengwar writers

Closed Thread