FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 01:56 PM   #741
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Eärniel -
ALL Europeans are "dangerous persons" and should be avoided at all costs.
Neh neh, and don't you forget it. It isn't size that matters.

Now seriously, I hope no one thinks those observers want to interfere in your elections. But I still think it's a little over the top to say you have instructions from Washington not to talk to these observers and regard them as dangerous, just to give the signal that you don't think it's necesary for anybody to observe the process of your election.

Frankly I don't think it would be such a bad idea to have international observers at all elections, yours as well as ours and every body elses. It would boost confidence. Other than that, it is probably far from practical.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:44 PM   #742
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Polls are open...

NJ - 6:00am - 8:00pm (14 hours)
NY - 6:00am - 9:00pm (15 hours)

I find it very hard to believe that people would not be able to get to the polls in that time frame.
Well I certainly dont. Went and voted this morning and there were only about 35 people in line at my tiny little polling place. By the time I left there were hundreds in line. And I was late to work as it was. Talked to someone here at work who said their wife had been in line to vote for over an hour and had to actually leave before she could vote because she works for the school system. And she doesnt think she can vote after because she wont get out till 5 or so and the polls close at 7 and she is a good hour from her poll place and the lines are supposed to be even longer in the evening (in the rain...) so shes thinking its not possible for her to vote. well it shouldnt be like that! they shouldnt make it difficult for people to vote. its absurd that people have to kill themselves to vote for a president. And Jersey, polls in Kentucky and Indiana close at 6. Thats crazy.

Now whats all this about the republicans harrassing the native americans in South Dakota? They got a county wide restraining order slapped on them but they can still do it in all other parts of the state.

And have you seen the latest electoral-vote.com numbers? Kerry is now ahead over all by one point according to an average of all the polls. And he seems to be pulling away in florida and pennsylvania although bush has recaptured ohio and wisconsin for the first time.

nail biter...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 11-02-2004, 02:56 PM   #743
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Has anyone mentioned the Redskins game yet? Apparently for the last whatever years, if the Redskins lose, the incumbent loses. So this is a bad sign for Bush, because the Redskins lost. (There was a funny interview with a player from the opposing team - I guess their kicker was voting for Bush, and the guy was afraid the kicker would intentionally blow his kicks if the game was close! ) However, this year, the Red Sox won the World Series and broke the Bambino's curse - so this could be the year of breaking the Redskins curse!

A little light fun for today

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-02-2004, 03:26 PM   #744
Sween
im quite stupid

Come on Kerry for the good of the world get Bush out of power and start setting thing stright!

I acctually have my fingers crossed which is strange. I think people in this country and all over the world are praying Bush gets kicked out and thats a first time and shows just how bad Bush has been for your country.

Vote Kerry get rid of Bush and start winning us all back
Old 11-02-2004, 03:27 PM   #745
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

What does everyone make of this?
Live Journal post

I think that it's very wrong that such a thing happenned. The USA is a well-established democracy, there's no need to be so Orwellian.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 11-02-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:52 PM   #746
Janny
The Blobbit

A Bush / Edwards admin? I wouldn't necessarily complain. Right at the start of the Demi primaries he was the one that looked young and fresh and... well, he didn't hang round with his Vietnam buddies.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:57 PM   #747
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Well I certainly dont. Went and voted this morning and there were only about 35 people in line at my tiny little polling place. By the time I left there were hundreds in line. And I was late to work as it was. Talked to someone here at work who said their wife had been in line to vote for over an hour and had to actually leave before she could vote because she works for the school system. And she doesnt think she can vote after because she wont get out till 5 or so and the polls close at 7 and she is a good hour from her poll place and the lines are supposed to be even longer in the evening (in the rain...) so shes thinking its not possible for her to vote. well it shouldnt be like that! they shouldnt make it difficult for people to vote. its absurd that people have to kill themselves to vote for a president. And Jersey, polls in Kentucky and Indiana close at 6. Thats crazy.
As I said - it's all up to the state. It took me five seconds to vote - I even talked to the poll workers for like 15 minutes because they were interested in my AboutNewJersey.com shirt - so I gave them my business card and postcards. My polling place basically handles my apartment complex. We have three machines at the Plainsboro Middle School - one for each district - so I voted in District 9.
Quote:
Now whats all this about the republicans harrassing the native americans in South Dakota? They got a county wide restraining order slapped on them but they can still do it in all other parts of the state.
I wonder what's up with the 30 GOP get out the vote cars who had their tires slashed. Luckily people allowed them to use their personal vehicles.
Quote:
And have you seen the latest electoral-vote.com numbers? Kerry is now ahead over all by one point according to an average of all the polls. And he seems to be pulling away in florida and pennsylvania although bush has recaptured ohio and wisconsin for the first time.
Do the polls REALLY matter?

Jonathan - yeah I knew about that possibility - it shouldn't be new to anyone who has read the Constitution - spells it out right there. Now it is a very slim chance that that would happen. I'm sort of surprised that when they changed the Constitution to where the vice president was no longer determined by runner up that they didn't change it so the House and Senate vote on a single ticket versus seperately for President and VP.

If anyone is interested in the way the votes have come down in the years - you can look at this site - Presidential Elections, 1789–2000

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-02-2004, 04:00 PM   #748
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm sick of polls - if anyone asks me how I voted as I'm leaving, I'll say "none of your darn business!"

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-02-2004, 04:02 PM   #749
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Live Journal post

I think that it's very wrong that such a thing happenned. The USA is a well-established democracy, there's no need to be so Orwellian.
Well how can you judge the whole thing? He doesn't say anything about what he said. It's AGAINST the law to make a threat against the President. If you say that "I'm going to go out and kill the president" or something close to that - you can be arrested and questioned. Call us strange - but we don't like our presidents assinated.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-02-2004, 04:11 PM   #750
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
I'm sick of polls - if anyone asks me how I voted as I'm leaving, I'll say "none of your darn business!"
I felt the same way. If ANYONE was out their taking polls - I was going to tell them I don't believe in them and walk away.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-02-2004, 04:23 PM   #751
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
I wouldn't blame you Rian.....I doubt I'd be that polite with them...how a person votes it a personal choice, certainly no one else's business
Old 11-02-2004, 04:29 PM   #752
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
[...]well it shouldnt be like that! they shouldnt make it difficult for people to vote. its absurd that people have to kill themselves to vote for a president. And Jersey, polls in Kentucky and Indiana close at 6. Thats crazy.
That's indeed not so practical. I'm glad our votes are always on a sunday. You often loose a few hours from your free day but you have ussually less hassle to vote on time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sween
I acctually have my fingers crossed which is strange. I think people in this country and all over the world are praying Bush gets kicked out and thats a first time and shows just how bad Bush has been for your country.
I think a lot of people from outside the USA are waiting with baited breath for the outcome of this election. I wouldn't say they're all for kicking Bush out but I've noticed the American elections seem get a lot more attention abroad then they used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Live Journal post
I've come across this for two times now. Frankly I'm leaning towards thinking this is a hoax for some reason. On the otherhand, it indeed isn't wise to put threats to country leaders on the internet. As JD said: people tend to like keeping them alive.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:31 PM   #753
BeardofPants
the Shrike

What's everyone's feelings on the "challengers" in ohio?

GOP Challengers
Old 11-02-2004, 05:40 PM   #754
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
What's everyone's feelings on the "challengers" in ohio?

GOP Challengers
The Democrats have 'challengers' as well... and an article I saw said that there were no Republican challengers in polling places where they were expected, and that Democrat challengers were turning folks away in Republican districts.

What are your 'feelings' on that?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 11-02-2004, 06:00 PM   #755
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I honestly haven't heard about the democrat challengers. Care to post a link?
Old 11-02-2004, 06:02 PM   #756
Valandil

Gladly!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ection_ohio_dc

EDIT: Now shew forth thyself!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Last edited by Valandil : 11-02-2004 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:17 PM   #757
Valandil

JD - you're gonna LOVE this one!

It shows New Jersey as the only true 'swing state' - and otherwise has the electoral vote tally at: Kerry 262 - Bush 261 (270 of 538 total necessary to win - the 15 from NJ are the only ones they don't show in one column or the other)

http://electoral-vote.com/

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 11-02-2004, 06:18 PM   #758
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Eh? The article said that one woman was turned away - there was no reasoning behind why. Same thing's happening on the other side - I can only imagine that either some political shenanigans are going on, or they're not eligible to vote. Either way, I think "challengers" are a stupid idea, and I hope they address this issue before the next election.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:20 PM   #759
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
Eh? The article said that one woman was turned away - there was no reasoning behind why. Same thing's happening on the other side - I can only imagine that either some political shenanigans are going on, or they're not eligible to vote...
My feelings exactly!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 11-02-2004, 06:25 PM   #760
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
JD - you're gonna LOVE this one!

It shows New Jersey as the only true 'swing state' - and otherwise has the electoral vote tally at: Kerry 262 - Bush 261 (270 of 538 total necessary to win - the 15 from NJ are the only ones they don't show in one column or the other)

http://electoral-vote.com/
Thanks - I did my duty to get Bush reelected. Hopefully more people here go and vote for Bush. I think it would be HILARIOUS if kerry lost NJ - because they've been on the news saying that bush was just coming here as a long shot and that we were never very important (that Kerry was guaranteed New Jersey).

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Closed Thread