Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #721
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Yeah, I get bad comments frommen on social media. I don't do Twitter any more. Oinkers!
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Old 06-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #722
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Yeah, I get bad comments frommen on social media. I don't do Twitter any more. Oinkers!
Yes they are

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 06-02-2015, 11:05 PM   #723
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I ended up getting a Twitter for a job and have used it sparingly... Mostly for a dummy social media outlet to get free stuff (my coke rewards, for instance...) and once I managed to find Varna because the Moot was down for a while and I feared it had been done away with for good (oh, please, great Moderators! Never do that to us!!!)
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 06-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #724
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
Yes they are
I had no idea how many insulting names gamer nerds have for women gamers. I think of it as rage from elderly virgins who have no idea how to talk to a woman and fear to learn. Here's an amusing link about the 40 year old virgins of Silicon Valley: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...x-therapy.html
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Old 06-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #725
Alcuin
Salt Miner

It sounds like this may be because of GamerGate – the Wikipedia article is far more favorable to the “social justice warriors” who initiated it than they deserve. Now the gamer nerds are at heightened sensitivity, lashing out at anyone who crosses them regardless of their connection to “social justice”.

In the midst of it, a group of professional journalists were caught coordinating their published attacks with the “social justice warriors” posting on gaming websites. The gaming magazines involved have found their revenue streams at risk: the folks they were trashing happen to be the majority of the people who buy games and gaming magazines.

There’s been a storm in that part of the internet community, and the “social justice warriors” have been – to put it politely – “invited” to leave. They deserve it: they were running a coordinated effort to shame, embarrass, harass, belittle and silence people with whose ideas they disagreed. When they got as good as they gave, they started screaming about how badly they’d been treated. I have little sympathy for that: they have “unclean hands”. You can’t complain that someone hit you if you hit him first. On at least one occasion, one of the SJWs called the police and summoned a SWAT team to the home of one of her opponents: I personally think that should be treated as a felony and prosecuted in criminal court. Someone could have been killed, property was destroyed; at the very least, it’s a malicious false report; at worst, attempted murder.

The internet space – along with published media – for games discussion was intentionally used as a war zone.

But I am also reading that many people who had nothing to do with this are getting caught up in the backlash as angry gamers stomp on anyone they think – or simply imagine – might be associated with the SJWs. And unfortunately, most of them (but not all) are women. It sounds like that happened to you, Acalewia and Nerwen.

For an alternate view of GamerGate to balance Wikipedia’s, try this from law professor Glenn Reynolds.

BTW, I’m not a gamer. It created such a huge storm on the net that it couldn’t be missed.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:46 AM   #726
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord View Post
[...]I also try not to assume too much in life...
Fair enough.

Quote:
This is still going on. I've had to block an anti female gamer troll myself for harassing me because I've been live tweeting a game I've been playing. I believe the comment that ended up getting him blocked (which was his first and only tweet to me) "Girls shouldn't play games. Get your ass in the kitchen and make your man a sandwich" Paraphrased of course
I'm always surprised at such comments. Could they be any more unimaginative and stereotypical if they tried? And that while live tweeting games is so cool! I've read a few of those and they're always a blast, even if I don't know the game at all.

Quote:
Is that happening to you?
No, that didn't happen to me, but to her. I've been lucky with interactions so far, I've received a good deal of patronising and condescending, as is common. Some of them were actually hilarious, like the one guy who kept insisting I did dragons wrong (ohnoes!), others... not quite as funny. The threat of violence, however how empty it was in the end, was deeply unfunny, and so out of the blue that I actually missed it at first.

Quote:
That lady is awesome
That she is! To see her get enthousiastic about ancient Roman sewers is a sight to behold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
There’s been a storm in that part of the internet community, and the “social justice warriors” have been – to put it politely – “invited” to leave. They deserve it: they were running a coordinated effort to shame, embarrass, harass, belittle and silence people with whose ideas they disagreed. When they got as good as they gave, they started screaming about how badly they’d been treated.
And I've heard exactly that being ascribed to gamergaters.

It has started to stand out to me that both factions tend to ascribe more coordination and conspiring to the other faction then I've actually seen reliably proven. There don't seem to be any commander in chief or staff in either side - and in fact, there seem to be good number of people barely loosely assiocated with either who are just in it for the ****-stirring and free harassment opportunities. There are long-standing scores being settled among the rest of the mess too. But both groups are presented by the other as monolith blocks in ideology and strategy.

Quote:
I personally think that should be treated as a felony and prosecuted in criminal court. Someone could have been killed, property was destroyed; at the very least, it’s a malicious false report; at worst, attempted murder.
I'd agree, it doesn't matter if they were just bored, really thought they were definding something, or whatever passes for justification, swatting is just not done. People who engage in this sort of criminal behaviour should be prosecuted.

Quote:
And unfortunately, most of them (but not all) are women.
Which is rather telling, in a way. But this thing goes back way longer before gamergate was a thing.

Quote:
For an alternate view of GamerGate to balance Wikipedia’s, try this from law professor Glenn Reynolds.
I'm glad you said 'alternate' view because hmmm, dude doesn't like feminism, does he?

Quote:
BTW, I’m not a gamer. It created such a huge storm on the net that it couldn’t be missed.
Especially now with the bleed-over into the Hugo Award-mess. 'Women Social Justice Warriors destroying sci-fi as well as games!' It's a Brave New World, according to some.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #727
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Fair enough.
Especially now with the bleed-over into the Hugo Award-mess. 'Women Social Justice Warriors destroying sci-fi as well as games!' It's a Brave New World, according to some.
I have met (and talked with) men at various cons who were hard core SF fans ( easy tell: ask them which is a better story, "The Cold Equations" or "Those Who Walk Away From Omelas" ) who expressed such opinions, but they have been doing that since the 1960s. I personally like some of Ursula LeGuin's stuff (but not The Left Hand of Darkness), adore Anne McCaffrey and Patricia A. McKillip. But I am a Tolkien fan, obviously, and as far as SF goes I prefer Robert Heinlein to Isaac Asimov.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #728
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:
Fair enough.

Thanks luv.

Say, those who still occasionally roam Twitter; anyone unable to view/reply to DM:s? A (U.S.) friend's having a problem with that
Old 06-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #729
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus View Post
I have met (and talked with) men at various cons who were hard core SF fans ( easy tell: ask them which is a better story, "The Cold Equations" or "Those Who Walk Away From Omelas" ) who expressed such opinions, but they have been doing that since the 1960s. I personally like some of Ursula LeGuin's stuff (but not The Left Hand of Darkness), adore Anne McCaffrey and Patricia A. McKillip. But I am a Tolkien fan, obviously, and as far as SF goes I prefer Robert Heinlein to Isaac Asimov.
Would you count McCaffrey's The Ship Who Sang as hard SF?

Susie
Old 06-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #730
Acalewia

Quote:
On at least one occasion, one of the SJWs called the police and summoned a SWAT team to the home of one of her opponents: I personally think that should be treated as a felony and prosecuted in criminal court. Someone could have been killed, property was destroyed; at the very least, it’s a malicious false report; at worst, attempted murder.
I completely agree. It should be with heavy fines and jail time. It's a false report that could have gotten someone seriously hurt or killed. That person went way too far.

Quote:
But I am also reading that many people who had nothing to do with this are getting caught up in the backlash as angry gamers stomp on anyone they think – or simply imagine – might be associated with the SJWs. And unfortunately, most of them (but not all) are women. It sounds like that happened to you, Acalewia and Nerwen.
It's unfortunate that so many bystanders are getting caught up in this crap. I'm by no means a "hard core gamer" I consider myself a casual gamer. My life doesn't revolve around the hottest games. I play on weekends or when I have a spare moment. Which tends to tick off people who don't consider gamers like me to be "real gamers" I could really care less. If I enjoy a game, I'm going to play it. End of story. I think this troll that harassed me might have thought I was part of the "Diversity in Gaming" movement because a friend of mine is a huge supporter of it.

Quote:
True.

Quote:
I'm always surprised at such comments. Could they be any more unimaginative and stereotypical if they tried? And that while live tweeting games is so cool! I've read a few of those and they're always a blast, even if I don't know the game at all.
Live tweeting is so much fun. I do it for certain TV shows too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord View Post
Say, those who still occasionally roam Twitter; anyone unable to view/reply to DM:s? A (U.S.) friend's having a problem with that
I can view and reply to mine just fine

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #731
Mari
Elf Lady

Never heard of gamer gate.
I was discussing Oblivion with my students a few months ago. They were dumbstruck that a teacher of all people might enjoy playing games. On a computer. Or a handheld even. And have opinions on them. And I've even tried out Minecraft. Can the world get any stranger?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 06-05-2015, 03:23 PM   #732
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Edit: This should be in “Advertising Entmoot

=========

Quote:
“Why are there so few when you have lived in this country so long?” asked Pippin. “Have a great many died?”

“Oh, no!” said Treebeard. “None have died from inside, as you might say. Some have fallen in the evil chances of the long years, of course: and more have grown tree-ish. But there were never many of us and we have not increased. There have been no Entings – no children, you would say, not for a terrible long count of years. ...”
I was looking at Mari’s post about her class, and I had a thought…

What about opening a “Beginners” or “Novices” section? We were all beginners in Tolkien at one time: exactly how Radagast fit into the story; what the Nazgûl were doing to hunt Frodo; and how the history of the Shire fit into the broader story – Arnor, or the migration of the Hobbits – were all new and novel. The idea that the Balrog might not have wings was news.

Let’s make a place at Entmoot where people who’ve never before participated in a discussion board can come, be welcome, and ask what they please. When they’re ready and feel confident, they can join the other sections; and of course, we want them to always post in the General Discussions forum.

Let’s think up a good name – this is the Entmoot, we can take our time! – “Beginners”, “Novices”, “Newcomers” – “Entings” – and add it to the Hobbit, LOTR, LOTR Movies, sections, and so on.

Let’s make a place for less experienced posters – some of whom may be adults – and let them be. Then Mari or anyone else with youth can encourage them to join in; or someone who wants to post but is afraid some old guy () might jump them for asking a “dumb” question, or a moderator who might shut them down because it’s a “worn-out, over-discussed topic”, can feel free to ask those questions.

Besides, some fresh views might shed new light on some old ideas.

Could that work?

Last edited by Alcuin : 06-05-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #733
Acalewia

Not a bad idea actually

I think I stuck around the Teacup a lot when I first started when I finally ventured out of the RPG section

Old 06-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #734
Alcuin
Salt Miner

You know, I posted that to the wrong thread. Shall we move those last two posts to “Advertising Entmoot”, Acalewia?
Old 06-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #735
Acalewia

Quote:
You know, I posted that to the wrong thread. Shall we move those last two posts to “Advertising Entmoot”, Acalewia?
Haha I did that a lot when I started too

Old 06-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #736
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Not a bad idea actually

I think I stuck around the Teacup a lot when I first started when I finally ventured out of the RPG section
Is the Moria Forgotten" RPG open or closed? I can play a mean role!

Susie
Old 06-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #737
Acalewia

Quote:
Is the Moria Forgotten" RPG open or closed? I can play a mean role!

Susie
I believe we're still looking for players

Old 06-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #738
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Ooh, great, what do I do?

Susie
Old 06-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #739
Acalewia

Quote:
Ooh, great, what do I do?

Susie
Just check out the thread itself. It's still in the planning stage right now

Old 06-07-2015, 07:29 AM   #740
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Not a bad idea actually

I started here and pretty much stayed here. I like LotR and especially the Hobbit well enough, but I never really was interested in discussing it a lot. Sometimes I read a thread and reply outside of the General Section, but it's a very rare occurrence.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Closed Thread