Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 05:54 AM   #721
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis relaxed, "That is well. Bears are sacred and our warriors often take their shape. Fish are good to eat and when we cannot get them we eat bread, eggs, milk, honey... and often little else."
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-11-2008, 05:55 AM   #722
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl did not answer further. She was not comfortable, talking about those who ought to be protected from uwindi and their incessant questions. Let Abasi deal with what Haldis asked them, if he would. It would not be right for her to say more, to speak of her own people. She folded her arms and listened.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #723
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

As Nami let the silver-tainted arrow fly off into the darkness time came to a still, birds and beasts of the forest held their breath and only the shimmering from the moonlight let the watchful eyes of Nami and Quickleaf know its speeding arch down the hill and across the forest floors.

Just as Nami had made her shot, Quickleaf held up his bow in anticipation, waiting to make a second shot in case the deer did not die immediately.

The arrow hit. The deer's throat was severed and the sudden lack of air put its short life to a sudden end, with the legs stumbling, its golden fur drowning in the leaves and grass beneath it.
"Ed' i'ear ar' elenea! Lle naa curucuar Nami! By the sea and stars! You're a skillful bowman Nami!" Quickleaf exclaimed and smiled warmly. "Excellent shot. You see, now you spared us my shot and several hours of tracking down another deer" he said self-mockingly. The two walked over to their catch.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #724
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami smiled and turned to follow Quickleaf.
"I am sure you would have made the shot Quickleaf, we both have good eyes!"
The night suddenly darkened, Nami looked up as the moon was covered by rolling clouds, the clouds passed and the silver light was returned. As Nami looked back a head of her she felt a wet drop land on her nose, Crossing her eyes to look at her nose, more big wet drops followed it.
Nami turned smiling at Quickleaf as she pulled her hood over her head, "Oh i do love the rain!"
Old 05-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #725
Coffeehouse

Quickleaf watched up at the dark skies as the rain fell down upon them.
The deer was relatively small compared to a grown-up, and so they managed to grab it on either side and carry it back to the camp.

The rain showered upon the forest as Nami and Quickleaf wandered through the greens, now shining in the wet reflection of the moonlight. The steady downpour sang a mellow tune to them. Quickleaf had not brought his hooded cloak and so his hair was soon soaked, the blondness turning greyish in the cool rain. Which was good, since he hadn't taken a real wash in a while!

Quickleaf was content, walking through the rain and knowing he'd be eating a delicious steak by the fire.
"This is the life Nami!"
Old 05-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #726
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami laughed, "What is? Getting wet. Which by the way you kinda needed!, running around the forest, getting attacked by spiders, getting insulted by elfs and making friends with a dwarf? Ya i guess it kinda is!"
Old 05-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #727
Coffeehouse

"Hehe yeah you're right it's all pretty crazy, but this kind of hunting in the moonlight is about the only thing that is going to keep me sane before the darkness of Amon Lanc falls upon us"
The rain fell in wave upon wave. Some raindrops fell upon leaves, some in puddles, to form streams of water, which trickled down the hillside. Quickleaf began humming an old song he'd learned when he was very young.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #728
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

"Oh ya Amon Lanc." Nami said dispondantly. Nami fell silent as the rain hit her face. She listened to Quickleafs humming the song of the rain and her own thoughts on the terror that she would some have to face at Amon Lanc.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #729
Mari
Elf Lady

Ellysa was still with Aelfwine and Midnight, getting used to her and overcoming her fear for horses when the first raindrop splashed on her hand.
As she looked up another one hit her on her forehead. She starting grinning like mad and soon after burst out laughing.
"Aelfwine, it's rain! We are having rain! We have to celebrate!"
As the rain got heavier, Ellysa got more and more excited, pulling off her outer layer of clothes and standing with her arms and faces towards the sky, her riding lessons completely forgotten.
The rains had started, the beginning of a new year.

When she finally had enough of the rain, Ellysa remembered Aelfwine and apologized for her distraction.
"I'm very sorry, I got a bit overexcited. The first rain is very important where I come from, with big celebrations and everything! Allow me to go cook something we traditionally eat on this day. If it is finished I would like you and the others to try it too. It will bring you good health!"

When Aelfwine nodded, slightly confused, Ellysa went over to her things. She might not be able to make zoni as it is supposed to be, but she could make a fairly good improvisation on the recipe. Quickly she started working on the soup.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #730
The Sasquatch of Fangorn
The Co-president of Entmoot - The Half-Dwarven Guardian of the Ancient Forest

Borin walked back to the camp and saw all this happening. "Good shot Nami!" He saw a squirrel on a tree not too far from there. "And I think I just found desert!" He raised one of his throwing axes at the small creature.

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Thanks for breaking up the group Yoko!"- The reduced Shakespeare company.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly on the road to victory.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #731
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami looked up bemused from her thoughts as she and Quickleaf entered the camp. What with Ellysa stripping off and dancing around and Borin throwing stuff at things in tree's no wonder Abasi and Tabril didn't understand them! It made for a funny sight indeed.
Wet from the rain and her breath making little clouds as she breathed out into the chilly wet air Nami set down the deer with Quickleaf. Nami ran her hand gentlly over its now wet fur before standing up and grinning at Quickleaf as she did an excited little jump and clapped her hands,

"Ohhh we're having a party!" A small thud was heard as the squirrel hit the ground. Nami turned to the sound as Borin picked up the gray animal. "Not a bad shot you're self Borin".
Old 05-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #732
Coffeehouse

Quickleaf was soaked to his feet because of the rain. He lay down the deer and put on a cloak, and walked over to the fire to warm himself before preparing the meal of the night. He sat down close to the fire and held his hands out.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #733
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami started walking around the camp, bobbing her head a little while humming and sometimes muttering something that sounded like party party party.

Coming level with Ellysa Nami stopped and hopped from foot to foot while asking, "What ya do'in? What's that?"

Nami was in a youthful and happy mood, smiling happierly from ear to ear she hardly noticed the rain coming though her clothes and to her skin.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #734
Mari
Elf Lady

Ellysa flashed Nami a huge grin before answering her question: "This is the first rain of the year, which means it's the start of a new year. I'm making zoni-soup to celebrate. It's traditional and it will bring you good health! Do you want to help out?"
She had already chopped up a few strange looking herbs and was now pounding a few white cakes.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #735
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami let out an excited "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" before clapping her hands some more "Yeah i get to help!" Nami sat down next to Ellysa waitign for a job, somewher Nami still managed to bob up and down while sitting.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #736
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis was distracted by a snorting and stamping coming from her mules at the other edge of the camp, she followed the direction of their attentions and saw Quickleaf dressing the carcass of a young deer.

Excusing herself from the company of the two elves she hurried across and set about turning her animals away from the sight. She would not prevent her companions from hunting, but neither would she have her four-legged creatures witness the results.

Having calmed them, she returned to Tabrîl and Abasi, saying as she reached them, "I still do not feel I understand how we can be so alien to you. Peoples may differ greatly in who does what, but in the end there are similar roles to be filled regardless. Were we not, what is your word...? unwindi? How would we fit to you?"

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #737
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

This last question from Haldis was intriguing, and distant enough not to be intrusive as her other enquiries had been, and Tabrîl contemplated it for a moment before she spoke.

'I cannot tell you that,' she said. 'It is beyond my knowledge.' In truth, they all seemed strange to her in the roles they seemed to take on, there was not one among them who she could describe as belonging entirely in one place or another.

That was not entirely true, she corrected herself. There was one. 'Except for Radagast,' she continued, 'he is seth'enati to us. I know not how you would say it, but the lore of the m'haid tells of his wisdom, and that there are very few like him. Only five in all the lands of this world, it is said.' She had not recognized it in him when she had first seen the group, but it was obvious to her now, what he was.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #738
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis nodded in full agreement, "I have only heard of three wizards," she said, "And of those, Radagast is the last. He is a good neighbor and a better teacher, if you can convince him to accept you as a student."

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #739
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'He is your teacher?' Tabrîl's eyes widened. If Haldis was being taught by the seth'enati then she had to be seth'en, regardless of what else she did. At least, Tabrîl thought this was the case. It was not a simple matter, not something for she who was m'had'i to try to determine, and she shook her head slightly, unnerved by the thought.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #740
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"When it pleases him to be," Haldis gave the honest answer, "He has been teaching me to read old writings and some less simple magics, though he does not approve of me using them without his aid. At any rate, I am along on this quest by his asking."

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Closed Thread