Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 04:33 AM   #721
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Gosh . . . They'd better give it to you.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 12-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #722
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
My vent is that I cannot afford christmas and it is driving me bananas with holiday funk. I can't stand this time of year when I'm broke and my family's so far away. At least my man and I, we have each other. But I can't even a-friggin-ford to make cookies, or buy a little tree, and I am trying my damndest not to let this crap bum me right the fek out, but it's hard, lemme tell ya it ain't easy. Christmas - bah! BAH!!! BAH!!!!
Well Lotesse - it's not really about affording it. Hey - the One who started it all... HE had nothing!

If you need a lift, take a trip to your local library and read Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" - get the FULL story, not just what they put in the movies.

It doesn't take money to have a Merry Christmas.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:57 AM   #723
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Hey - the One who started it all... HE had nothing!
Oh geez...let's not start that up again! Happy atheist Holidays Lotesse! Give your man an incredible massage on Xmas day....maybe it could loosen some things up a bit...ho ho!

I have to go "shopping" today ...pulling a rabbit out of a hat is more like it!

Last edited by Lizra : 12-15-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #724
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Well Lotesse - it's not really about affording it. Hey - the One who started it all... HE had nothing!

If you need a lift, take a trip to your local library and read Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" - get the FULL story, not just what they put in the movies.

Or what was that other great Christmas story - the gifts of the Magi, or something, by that funky American author, about a poor couple and they sell things to buy each other gifts and what they sold is what they bought gifts for ... oh, who was that author?!?!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #725
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Ah, here it is - by O. Henry. Here's the beginning ...

"The Gift of the Magi"

One dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty-seven cents of it was in pennies. Pennies saved one, two, and three at a time by negotiating with the grocer and the vegetable man and the butcher until one's cheeks burned with embarrassment. Three times Della counted it. One dollar and eighty-seven cents. And the next day would be Christmas.

There was clearly nothing to do but flop down on the shabby little couch and howl. So Della did it. She was beginning to believe that life was made up of sobs, sniffles, and smiles, with sniffles predominating.

While the mistress of the home is gradually subsiding from the first stage to the second, take a look at the home. A furnished flat at $8 per week.

In the vestibule below was a letter-box into which no letter would go, and an electric doorbell from which no mortal finger could coax a ring. Also there was a card bearing the name "Mr. James Dillingham Young."

The "Dillingham" had been flung to the breeze during a former period of prosperity when its possessor was being paid $30 per week. Now, when the income was shrunk to $20, though, they were thinking seriously of contracting to a modest and unassuming "D." But whenever Mr. James Dillingham Young came home and reached his flat above he was called "Jim" and greatly hugged by Mrs. James Dillingham Young, already introduced to you as Della. Which is all very good.

Della finished her cry and attended to her cheeks with the powder rag. She stood by the window and looked out dully at a gray cat walking a gray fence in a gray backyard. Tomorrow would be Christmas Day, and she had only $1.87 with which to buy Jim a present.

She had been saving every penny she could for months, with this result. Twenty dollars a week does not go far. Expenses had been greater than she had calculated. Only $1.87 to buy a present for Jim. Many a happy hour she had spent planning for something nice for him, something fine and rare and sterling, something just a little bit near to being worthy of the honor of being owned by Jim.

There was a pier-glass between the windows of the room. Perhaps you have seen a pier-glass in an $8 flat. A very thin and very agile person may, by observing his reflection in a rapid sequence of mirrored strips, obtain a fairly accurate conception of his looks. Della, being slender, had mastered the art.

Suddenly she whirled from the window and stood before the glass. Her eyes were shining brilliantly, but her face had lost its color within twenty seconds. Rapidly she pulled down her hair and let it fall to its full length.

Now, there were two possessions of the James Dillingham Youngs in which they both took a mighty pride. One was Jim's gold watch that had been his father's and his grandfather's. The other was Della's hair. Had the queen of Sheba lived in the flat across the air shaft, Della would have let her hair hang out the window to dry just to depreciate Her Majesty's jewels and gifts. Had King Solomon been the janitor, with all his treasures piled up in the basement, Jim would have pulled out his watch every time he passed, just to see him pluck at his beard from envy.

So now Della's beautiful hair fell about her, rippling and shining like a cascade of brown waters. It reached below her waist and made itself almost a garment for her. And then she did it up again nervously and quickly.

On went her old brown jacket; on went her old brown hat. With a whirl of skirts and with the brilliant sparkle still in her eyes, she fluttered out the door and down the stairs to the street. .......

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-15-2006, 02:16 PM   #726
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I am extremely upset... my brand new dress shirt shrank in the wash a ton. It was 95% cotton, so I knew it would shrink a bit and bought it a tad too large to make sure it would fit.

No such luck. The sleeves which reached almost to the middle of my palm don't even touch the bottom of my wrist, and the shoulders are too small now.

Just let me find a FEW pieces of clothing that fit me, please! I am sick to death of wearing huge baggy oxfords because I can't find anything decent that's cut fitted, or of being too small. God I wish I was short. I hate being tall and having long arms.

I know, it's incredibly petty, but I literally own maybe two t-shirts that fit me right and a pair of jeans. Everything else I own is either too small or too big but I wear it anyways because I can't find anything that -does- fit.

Last edited by Tessar : 12-15-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #727
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Just read today that the Yantze dolphin is now considered extinct. Dammit! Thanks a lot stupid world. Too little too late.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:21 AM   #728
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
Oh geez...let's not start that up again! Happy atheist Holidays Lotesse! Give your man an incredible massage on Xmas day....maybe it could loosen some things up a bit...ho ho!
[content removed by Moderator.

Lotesse - this is the "Temporary Venting Thread" - not the "Flaming Thread". You may vent - you may NOT attack other members or groups of members. Nor does it lessen the offense to: first attack, say that there is "no offense intended" - and then attack once more.

~ Valandil]

Anyway, merry holidays, tutti - no matter what religion you might ascribe to, and all the fellow non-religious minded like moi - just, have a happy warm time this season, yeah? Kisses, tutti!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Valandil : 12-16-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:23 AM   #729
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Just read today that the Yantze dolphin is now considered extinct. Dammit! Thanks a lot stupid world. Too little too late.
This is teribly sad, bella. Is - rather, was that a Chinese dolphin? From the Yangtze river, or thereabouts? How did these dolphins become extinct? What did they look like? This is quite upsetting.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:41 AM   #730
captain carrot
Elven Warrior

Quote:

well, Val, that's hardly a fair comparison.

Didn't he have the earth?

For two - "He" had friends in high places!

Thirdly, isn't this the same guy that can turn water into wine, and create feasts of fishes and loaves of bread etc out of thin air?

Lotsy has many talents, but not those three, i fear.

anyway, may all your vents be short-lived and woes begone,

and i hope everyone DOES enjoy their Christmas / festive / festivus season
Old 12-16-2006, 10:27 AM   #731
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
This is teribly sad, bella. Is - rather, was that a Chinese dolphin? From the Yangtze river, or thereabouts? How did these dolphins become extinct? What did they look like? This is quite upsetting.
The Yangtze dolphin, or officially the Chinese River Dolphin. A combination of chemical and noice pollution and depletion of prey saw them off.

They looked a bit comical with their long nose but they were quite interesting. BBC article with photo. I first learned about them from Douglas Adams' Last Chance to See where he visits several endangered animals. It's a good book.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #732
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

O.K. then, my Temporary Vent? Uptight christians who are afraid of non-believers.

THAT'S A VALID VENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT A DAMN FLAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A

VENT!!!!!!!

GET IT?

And then christians wonder how some people like me who once were christian have become so soured upon the relgion and so many of its adherents. now, my friends, that is a VENT, and NOT a FLAME. Know and recognise the goddamn difference.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:24 PM   #733
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I am totally flipping out. I have a recital at 6 this evening that I just found out yesterday I'm supposed to have my song memorized for. ARGH!!!!! I know, I know, I should've asked, but I just assumed since he didn't mention it that I could have a music stand in front of me with the lyrics.

So I spent about two hours yesterday trying to memorize 'You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch.'

On the plus side, I know all of the words and we have been 'practicing' it on and off for the last month. On the downside, I can't remember how they all match up. Like two verses are:

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch, you really are a heel, you're as cuddly as a cactus, as charming as an eel, Mr. Grinch! You're a bad bananna with a greasy black peel!

You're a monster, Mr. Grinch, your heart's an empty hole. Your brain is full of spiders, you've got garlic in your soul, Mr. Grinch! I wouldn't touch you with a thirty-nine and one-half-foot pole!

BUT I keep mixing them up, like: You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch, your heart's an empty hole! You're as cuddly as a cactus, as charming as an eel, Mr. Grinch! You're a bad banana with a greasy black peel!

.... this is not going to go well.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #734
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

You're cracking me up, bello! and I love that Grinch song...No, but I'm sure it'll all come to you perfectly once you get up there and the time comes to sing the song. You'll nail it! You'll do fine, babe.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #735
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Good luck! One of my favorites as well.

There's a cool version by the Whirling Dervishes, search you favorite music-sharing site.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #736
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

My left hand is totally out for the count from overdoing piano and computer.

See you guys in a few days, I hope.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:22 PM   #737
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Haha, overusing on the comp, eh? You been putting those spammy pr0n sites to good use then? *chortle*
Old 12-19-2006, 10:50 PM   #738
Rían

Hey, BoP is creeping up on 10k posts ...

Vent update - they gave me some decent pain meds, and the schnoz procedure wasn't as painful. Dr. said the skin looked good, and this time should be the end of it. I'll get the biopsy results in a few weeks.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #739
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
You think thats bad? The EU wants to get rid of historical Organs because they have lead in them....just think, the organs that Franck, Saint-Saens, and Messiaen played!!!! Might as well burn the history books while we're at it...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 12-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #740
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Hey, BoP is creeping up on 10k posts ...

Vent update - they gave me some decent pain meds, and the schnoz procedure wasn't as painful. Dr. said the skin looked good, and this time should be the end of it. I'll get the biopsy results in a few weeks.

Very best of luck Sharon.
Closed Thread