Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #721
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I'm glad you're okay with your choice! Unfortunately I know too many singers who seem to regret having given up the chance at a career for a family... and I never really know what to say to them.
I definitely am. The mainstream career path calls for a lot of traveling and being away from home (as you know), and once i got married i decided that my marriage would be my first priority in life, and that it wasn't fair to my husband for me to be away for months at a time. I didn't think that was good for a marriage. Many people seem to do ok with it, but it wasn't for me. The only pang i feel is because of right now having to live so far from any metropolitan areas, the opportunities are so few and far between But my husband is considering a career change himself in the nearish future, which would mean selling our beloved house, but the bright side to that is that i'd be near the city again and free to do a lot more again with my music than i've been doing while here. It's all about choices, truly... often very difficult ones. It's best to pursue this while you're still young and single.

My profiles still say "aspiring", though, because while i am no longer pursuing a full-time career, i am always keeping my eyes and ears open for local opportunities and keeping myself ready for them. One never knows. Of course, where i live now (the middle of nowhere), most of the opportunities are for concert work, not opera. But that's ok. As long as i get to work with colleagues of a certain calibre who appreciate my background and what i have to offer, i'm happy with the occasional chance to do so.

Quote:
Yes, I am aiming for a career. Originally I wasn't because I thought I had no potential... but my most recent teacher told me that he thought I had some potential, and a guy I took a lesson from today (whom I respect very much) told me that at this point he thinks the only reason I would fail to be capable of having a career is if I do something stupid. So I have my fingers crossed big time and I'm workin' my butt off
GOOD for you!!! With that attitude, you'll go far!

You probably have a lot more potential than you think. Often we are our own worst critics. Listen to your teachers and those you work with (coaches, conductors, etc). They know what to look for, and if they're trustworthy, they won't steer you wrong.

Quote:
I doubt I'll ever sing a lead at the Met. or anything, but hopefully getting leading roles at some slightly smaller opera companies wont be out of my grasp.
Keep in mind that it's not about where you sing, but how well If you have a very good technique and are dedicated to a certain standard of quality and excellence, you will still be able to move hearts, whether it's at the Met, or at your church (or anything in between).

Quote:
But some people, and I like to think I'm one of them, are just so passionate about it that we couldn't see ourselves doing anything else. I went into music even though I was afraid I had no potential, which in retrospect is really stupid... but thankfully it seems to be working itself out
You do indeed seem to have the passion for it! I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

Quote:
I think you're probably a great example of that passionate attitude, too.
I hope so. I guess it depends on how one defines it. Some would say that i'm not, because of my decision. But those who define it as that undeniable drive inside to continue to improve and to work at a certain level of quality, and to keep on singing come what may, would likely say that i am.

Quote:
Who do you take lessons from?
My teacher is a college professor who had an international career of her own before she started teaching. She still sings internationally sometimes, in fact she just got back from a performance in Prague a few months ago.

I've so enjoyed our discussion on this thread. I'm always happy to be able to encourage a young singer!
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #722
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Listen to your teachers and those you work with (coaches, conductors, etc). They know what to look for, and if they're trustworthy, they won't steer you wrong.
I agree. The hardest part is figuring out who's trustworthy . But luckily I'm learning how to spot the good ones (I hope!).

Quote:
Keep in mind that it's not about where you sing, but how well If you have a very good technique and are dedicated to a certain standard of quality and excellence, you will still be able to move hearts, whether it's at the Met, or at your church (or anything in between).
I'm wildly in love with you already . I entirely agree... If the technique is good then that's what's important. I would very much like, for the sake of my ego, to have a 'legacy' of singing in famous opera houses... But I've heard too many INCREDIBLE singers, who have never set foot on an opera stage, to think that being a lead in an opera is what makes you good.

I honestly believe that a lack of 'success' does not invalidate the effort you have made. Maybe I'll never have a career... maybe other, better, singers will constantly be hired instead of me. But that wont change the fact that I'm going to give it everything I've got, and my ultimate goal is to become the best singer that I can be and make something beautiful for other people to enjoy.

I believe that if I work hard SOMETHING good will happen. Hopefully with music, and hopefully it will be my current dreams... but whatever it is, I don't think I'll be let down in the end so long as I do my part of the work.

Quote:
But those who define it as that undeniable drive inside to continue to improve and to work at a certain level of quality, and to keep on singing come what may, would likely say that i am.
Like I said... I've seen too many amazing singers who have never even worked professionally. The passion is all about how you deal with your gift.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #723
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
I'm wildly in love with you already .
Oh my!! Now you're making me blush

Quote:
I honestly believe that a lack of 'success' does not invalidate the effort you have made.
This is exactly right. There's a statistic i read about regarding the staggeringly low percentage of people who actually make full-time careers out of classical singing While we need to be realistic about it, we can't let it scare us off from it either (which i can see is obviously not a problem with you!). The 'statistics' aren't a doom sentence and we can always sing. No one can ever take that away from us.

Quote:
my ultimate goal is to become the best singer that I can be and make something beautiful for other people to enjoy.
Your heart is in the right place!

Quote:
I believe that if I work hard SOMETHING good will happen. Hopefully with music, and hopefully it will be my current dreams... but whatever it is, I don't think I'll be let down in the end so long as I do my part of the work.
And your work ethic is admirable!

Quote:
Like I said... I've seen too many amazing singers who have never even worked professionally. The passion is all about how you deal with your gift
Yes, when it comes down to it, that's the bottom line.

I hope one day i get to hear you.
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

Old 05-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #724
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Symphonie Fantastique

I'm listening to Berlioz' "Symphonie fantastique," in celebration of a certain special birthday girl who purchased this piece

*throws a party*

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:43 PM   #725
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Hahah, don't let it get over your head. I've only just bought it, I may not even like it in the end. But I've got Vivaldi's Gloria and Bach's Magnificat, a compilation CD of classical pieces for wind instruments and a compilation of Gregorian chants to listen to first. And I'm still listening to Beethoven's 5th and 6th at the moment, so it may take me a while to even get there.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #726
hectorberlioz

That's OK. I'm just glad you were curious enough to get it.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 05-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #727
Earniel

*thinking: don't say it wasn't curiosity but because it was cheap, don't say it wasn't curiosity but because it was cheap, don't say it wasn't curiosity but because it was cheap*

Uhh...

Right.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #728
hectorberlioz

Yeah, I guessed that was it

Five points from Gryffindor.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 05-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #729
Earniel

Dude, not everybody has a vault full of gold like Harry Potter, ya know.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #730
hectorberlioz

You know, I wonder how HP would be if he was poor instead of conveniently rich . Kinda nice to have it different, though. You don't have to worry about plot points that involve money.

Anyways, back to Berlioz: really great symphony! *pretends to be on topic*

The Da CINDY Code
~

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 05-31-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #731
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

I've been listening to the Mozart Requiem almost non-stop all day long. It's all i've wanted to hear. Truly it's my favorite choral work of all time.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #732
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

This is a clip from my voice lesson today. Unfortunately I'm not in great voice because of allergies and I wasn't very warmed up (we did more talking technique and stuff than singing) but this is what he's got me doing.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/audio/play/80662376

God I love this voice teacher. O_o Still lots of work to be done, but this is just from a few minutes of working on the song... he got everything working together much nice than I was before.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #733
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Fabulous Tessar. Nice "Aaah's" too

When a felon's not engaged in his employment
Or maturing his felonious little plans
His capacity for innocent enjoyment
Is just as great as any honest man's

Our feelings we with difficulty smother
When constabulary duty's to be done
Ah, take one consideration with another

A policeman's lot is not a happy one.
When constabulary duty's to be done, to be done,
A policeman's lot is not a happy one, happy one
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #734
Earniel

Ah, too bad we can't come over to listen when you perform the real thing. Would have been fun.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #735
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Whooo!!! How did i miss this post before?

You have a lot of potential! It's not every day that you hear technique like that at your age.

Keep up the good work!

Old 06-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #736
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Thanks guys! I'm really excited . I'm just so happy that I got the part... I'm gonna work hard and try to knock everyone's socks off when they get to hear me in a month and a half at rehearsals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Ah, too bad we can't come over to listen when you perform the real thing. Would have been fun.
Well, performances are in October, so if you get your plane tickets now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voronwen View Post
You have a lot of potential! It's not every day that you hear technique like that at your age.
Danka . I owe it all to two fantabulous teachers... real technique masters. It's certainly not natural technique . They have to beat it into me... I'm hoping to be as good as they are some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Fabulous Tessar. Nice "Aaah's" too
Thank you . My parents were extremely amused by the little 'ah' sequence so I left it in .

But speaking of Erwin Shrott (what? <.< it's a great segue!), has anyone heard his CD or seen his stuff on youtube? He's got a great baritone voice... I love how he plays around with the sound as he sings and speaks... I feel like it really brings the songs to life.

Last edited by Tessar : 06-13-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #737
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Thank you for sharing with us, Tessar!
Yes, it would have been nice to be able to come over and hear the real thing - but I'm afraid that time isn't the main issue

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #738
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Danka . I owe it all to two fantabulous teachers... real technique masters. It's certainly not natural technique . They have to beat it into me... I'm hoping to be as good as they are some day.
I'm sure you will!

And yes, i agree 100%, having a good technician as a teacher is the best thing you can ever find. I've had five different voice teachers in the last 10 years and only two have been excellent technicians. I credit the first of those two with the building of my technique - she was awesome! The second of the two is my present teacher, whom i credit with the maintenance These kinds of teachers are a treasure, they're hard to find, and not every singer finds them. They're a blessing.

Now you're making me wish i had at some point invested in a high-quality recording device of my own, so that i could share a clip, too! Alas, i have not. But perhaps the next time i am in a recital or something, i can have it recorded. ETA, actually there might still be a recording of myself and another soprano singing the Rossini Cat Duet from a recital 3 years ago - i'll have to look into that. I sang the top part (yes, with the interpolated high C ). If i can get this i might be able to post it. I think i have improved since then, however, as i had not yet found Excellent Teacher #2.

When do you start with the summer opera workshop?

Last edited by Voronwen : 06-13-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #739
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm not, in general, a huge Renee Fleming fan because of the way she slides around when she sings... I LOVE the voice, but the way she interprets most of the music she sings isn't what I like to hear.

BUT... I think she did this perfectly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQlQQ...eature=related

I never would have imagined her singing Glitter and Be Gay, but her high notes are sooooo impressive.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #740
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

I know what you mean about her scooping, etc - very distasteful. But i also agree that the voice is amazing, and that her rendition of this aria is perfect! I usually can't even stand listening through this aria, as i've heard it done badly and over-the-top so many times but Renee does an excellent job here!

I read somewhere that she started out as more of a coloratura, and transitioned to full-lyric soprano over time. Hearing this clip, i could believe that.