Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #721
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Rian, welcome back. You were missed very much!
Rian, Udu, great new posts!

Udu, am I right that Tatyana doesn't speak Westron? So the three nazgul spoke some eastern tongue?

Lotesse, very nice post - I have no objections to it.
I have edited Viv tears out. No problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
It's just very important to me that this character of mine has a well-established emotional makeup, so that when she does and says certain things in the course of the story's progress, it will make sense. Her actions and her interior landscape have to synchronise, you know? And I know you must feel the same way about your Morgul Lord, which is why I am always so hesitant to write ANY dialogue or response for him. I am unsure of what his motivation is, emotionally - what his character is like, inside, you know? Like what made him happy or sad back when he was human, or what his parents were like, or his first true love, or what fills him with hatred, or what repulses him, etcetera etcetera etcetera. He's just this impassive steel blank wall, who only wants the Ring. What else makes him him? He is VERY hard to write for. Plus, YOU are very hard to write for! You're very exacting, and I always get worried that you will not like what I've written, you know? But at least I try!
Ohh, that is a difficult one...

Unlike Viv's, the Morgul lord's words and actions are rarely motivated by emotions, IMO. Mostly he calculates everything and chooses the best course of actions. I also don't think any of the nazgul had much insight into the ML's mortal life, emotional life I mean: he hardly told anybody about his first love. And that is very far behind now. What he is now is the result of 1500 years of service in Mordor as Sauron's chief lieutenant.
I don't think he would be moved by anyone's romantic love now, even if it could have been possible before.

As for the rest, his AU story for this game is in the Info. He was King of Numenor, the builder of ships, a traveller and a conqueror of new lands. He scorned his father' obsession with the Elves and Elven lore and made him abdicate earlier than the other intended.. He was married at least once, outlived his wife and children, as he ruled for 600 years (for himself and instead of his son). He was the first to question the Ban of the Valar and openly proclaim the Men's right to immortality. You are free to draw any conclusions you see fit from this info.

I think, to put it short and simple, he hates Elves, Valar, Eru - for the Ban and the Downfall; Sauron, Celebrimbor and other Mirdain - for their Ring-project, Amandil, Elendil and all their people - as traitors to the rightful King of Numenor. He has a very high opinion of himself and wants everyone to be unquestioningly obedient.
That is how I see it, in simplified format.

What do you, others, think? Udu? Lotesse? Any other ideas?
Old 02-13-2006, 08:03 PM   #722
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Udu, am I right that Tatyana doesn't speak Westron? So the three nazgul spoke some eastern tongue?
Tatyana does not speak good Westron, so anyone who speaks in that language to her will have difficulties in making her understand. Yes, the three Nazgul were speaking an Eastern tongue to her.

Quote:
What do you, others, think? Udu? Lotesse? Any other ideas?
In regard to the Morgul Lord's temperament, I think you are right on target, Gordis. This is the way I have always depicted him in my own writings, both roleplay and in the co-authored book series, "The Circles."
Old 02-13-2006, 11:37 PM   #723
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Whee! History post! Because I wanted to write something...
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 02-13-2006, 11:41 PM   #724
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Lady M, DAMN that was such a good post!! So well written, I love the style you used there. I really enjoyed that post a lot. I loved the reference to Maedhros, too. All of it. Damn good post!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 02-14-2006, 01:06 AM   #725
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Woot! Nice post my lady! Lord knows, when I have the time, I'll post a good history post for Shah.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:39 AM   #726
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Nice post, LMM, very interesting. Mahta has a lot to remember!
Old 02-14-2006, 06:41 AM   #727
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
In regard to the Morgul Lord's temperament, I think you are right on target, Gordis. This is the way I have always depicted him in my own writings, both roleplay and in the co-authored book series, "The Circles."
Hmm, I believe you depicted him as more temperamental. Not more romantic, but less icy.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:44 AM   #728
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

LMM, wonderful! Please tell me there will be some more. And, two things I really want to know, are what she was called before, and what surname did Maedhros give her?

Udu you were fine, you did Tol very well.

Rian, hurray! you're back!! Brilliant! and your post was very good... not as good as you being back, though!

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here

Last edited by Serenoli : 02-14-2006 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:41 AM   #729
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Plan to start posting again soon.

Heavy week (including weekend) first though, so please bear with me.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:30 AM   #730
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Welcome back, Rian.
I hope to see your posts as well, Val.

Great posts, Lotesse, Udu, Rian, Serenoli, Mahta - perhaps forgotten somebody? - anyway all the posts are excellent.

I have started Lilly's story, but only got as far as the door. Please, Udu, could you post the "reception" and such? Then I will continue. I believe Lilly knows the Eastern tongues all right. .
Old 02-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #731
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Woo! Nice post CS! I pity the poor Nazgirl...
Old 02-14-2006, 03:44 PM   #732
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Quote:
LMM, wonderful! Please tell me there will be some more. And, two things I really want to know, are what she was called before, and what surname did Maedhros give her?
There is much more, but I can't promise that you'll find out those two things, not for a while yet anyway.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 02-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #733
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
I have started Lilly's story, but only got as far as the door. Please, Udu, could you post the "reception" and such? Then I will continue. I believe Lilly knows the Eastern tongues all right. .
CS, I just posted the reception. As always, if you want any edits, just tell me.

I enjoyed everyone's posts. Welcome back, Valandil.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #734
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Nice posts, CS and Udu!

Poor Skessa...
Old 02-14-2006, 04:32 PM   #735
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Hmm, I believe you depicted him as more temperamental. Not more romantic, but less icy.
Gordis, I think there is a brooding violence about him all the time. Not exactly temperamental, just a potential for destruction there. I think he might be more icy and less romantic in "The Circles."
Old 02-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #736
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Very good posts, all, esp. Maggie's - you tease!!!!

(and thanks for the welcomes back Now I just need the absent elves/elf friends to come back and post more so I don't feel so forlorn ... *tragic expression* come on, Earniel and Val! *imploring look* )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 02-14-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #737
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Good stuff, Crazy Squirrel and Udu! Poor Lilly, poor poor Lil. The closer it gets to her torture commencement, the sadder it seems for her. She isn't THAT bad, she doesn't deserve such cruelty!!! So she causes gossipy problems and screeches at inappropriate times, does that mean she has to be tortured so mercilessly? Poor thing! Hopefully, it won't have to last too long, or be too overwhelming for her. Those Nazguys are beastly, to concentrate so much energy and effort just upon ruthlessly torturing one of their own. Shameful!!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 02-14-2006, 06:10 PM   #738
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I guess they get bored during peace time....
Old 02-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #739
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

You can take it from here, Serenoli, I don't want to hog the entire scene. Eärniel can help Jas back to his appartment, if you like, provided he remembers where it is. She may ask him some questions about his froggy-ness or even his amnesia, should it come up in the conversation, although I doubt she'd be able to do much about it if it is really erased. Eärniel isn't Elrond or Gandalf.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #740
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Really fun post, Earniel!

(please post more often!!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Closed Thread