Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 03:47 PM   #721
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
Let me tell you: there's this great bargain disc which I started out with. It's from the sony label, and its a collec. of Preludes and Fugues along with the Toccata and Fugue, and the large scale Pastorale. E. Power Biggs is the organist, and the disc should only cost about eight, nine dollars.
E Power Biggs? I'd second that reccommendation.

I personally haven't practiced organ in about a month! ....but I have mono, can't even go to school for the whole day, sleep a lot, have some major tests coming up...I'll get back into the swing of things this summer. One of the things I was working on was Bach's Prelude (or Fantasia) and Fugue...what was it now BWV 537 (C minor). Still have to finish that up.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:53 PM   #722
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Con 1 in D minor (I believe) was my first classical record....great sound.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:33 PM   #723
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
uh, now we'll have to stand at attention for hours
You most definitely do....

I'm not kidding, th library is closing right now. Adieu for now!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 05-18-2005, 10:46 PM   #724
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

....watches the Valkyers flying high, and toast them with Becks.....
Old 05-25-2005, 03:46 PM   #725
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
E Power Biggs? I'd second that reccommendation.
Thats because Yoou ARE E.Power Biggs

The Ring Cycle I got is conducted by Gunter Neuhold (I also have Franck's Symphony conducted by him).
I never imagined the Ride of the Valkyries could sound so...vicious! And Brilliant
All of it is genius as far as I'm concerned (though I havent listened to Die Gotterdammerung without bieng interrupted).
Das Rheingold is great especially with the Rhinemaidens, very lovely.
And the whole thing is a live recording, so the applause at the end of each act is great and satisfying to hear (and those Wagnerians are nuts!)

Tritan Und Isolde conducted by Carlos Kleiber is another great Wagner recording I have. The second act is especially riveting. I've also listened to my much beloved Die Miestersinger/Solti recording.

Other additions to my collection include Samuel Barber's two symphonies (along with the Essays for Orchestra and some other pieces), but the real great piece by him is Knoxville: summer of 1915.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 05-27-2005, 03:06 PM   #726
Mercutio

so my English teacher is arguing that Mozart is a pre-romantic composer. (vs. Haydn, those guys). So Mozart isn't quite as rational and straight and such...more emotional. But not all the way. Hence pre-romantic. However he also argues that Beethoven was a romantic...which I can see in a sense compared to the previous classical composers. But none of them are like the romantic composers I think of...those French fellows like Saint Saens and Frank, Chopin, Schubert, ya know.

?

Btw, we are currently studying 18th century, pre-romantic, and romantic poets. Hence he discusses some musical and political history along the way. We watched part of Amadeus to get the idea of 18th century society. The wigs, ornateness, piles of hair, etc.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:19 PM   #727
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
so my English teacher is arguing that Mozart is a pre-romantic composer. (vs. Haydn, those guys). So Mozart isn't quite as rational and straight and such...more emotional. But not all the way. Hence pre-romantic. However he also argues that Beethoven was a romantic...which I can see in a sense compared to the previous classical composers. But none of them are like the romantic composers I think of...those French fellows like Saint Saens and Frank, Chopin, Schubert, ya know.

?

Btw, we are currently studying 18th century, pre-romantic, and romantic poets. Hence he discusses some musical and political history along the way. We watched part of Amadeus to get the idea of 18th century society. The wigs, ornateness, piles of hair, etc.
Mozart is definitely not a romantic! He composed with a little more passion than others in his time, but if thats what makes a composer a romantic, then Bach beats him through and through!
Neither Beethoven nor Schubert are romantic composers, nor are they distinctly classical. They sortof fall into a category all their own, unless you want to dub it the post-classical period.

Romantic composers had one ideal in particular that distinguishes the romantic attitude: idea above aesthetic. Thats why so much of their music is descriptive (not generalizing moods like the Pastoral symphony), and why its so passionate.

Mozart was definitely revolutionary, but not AS revolutionary as Beethoven. He was a genius, hence his flawless hand at aesthetics. He wasn't a brainless machine, but Beethoven was the one who struggled with the notes and what they should mean; this is why the romantics loved Beethoven so much.

Opinion: Which recording of Bach's St. Matthews Passion should I get?

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 06-02-2005, 05:32 PM   #728
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

the academy of st martin in the fields if you can,
i heard a live performance from them on classicfm and twas brilliant
Old 06-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #729
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Mozart is definitely not a romantic! He composed with a little more passion than others in his time, but if thats what makes a composer a romantic, then Bach beats him through and through!
Neither Beethoven nor Schubert are romantic composers, nor are they distinctly classical. They sortof fall into a category all their own, unless you want to dub it the post-classical period.

Romantic composers had one ideal in particular that distinguishes the romantic attitude: idea above aesthetic. Thats why so much of their music is descriptive (not generalizing moods like the Pastoral symphony), and why its so passionate.

Mozart was definitely revolutionary, but not AS revolutionary as Beethoven. He was a genius, hence his flawless hand at aesthetics. He wasn't a brainless machine, but Beethoven was the one who struggled with the notes and what they should mean; this is why the romantics loved Beethoven so much.
I agree with almost all. But for me Schubert is more a romantic than a classical composser. Mainly on account of his piano works: they are very free, and break with concept of form. His imprompti and his "musical momments" are very romantic conceptions.

Also his number of unfinished sonatas makes him a non-classical composer: for him it was more important the inspiration (concept, idea) than the structure.

However, I agree that much of his orchestral work does sound as classical.

Quote:
Opinion: Which recording of Bach's St. Matthews Passion should I get?
Hehe, last night I was listening to "The Work" and I was thinking that I'd like to get another recording of it

Mine is DECCA: Solti, Chicago Simphony, with Kiri Te Kanawa, Anne Sophie Von Otter, Blochwitz, Bär and others. I love it. I know it's not as accurate as the performances with original instruments, but Solti was too good a conductor to make a wrong interpretation of this work. Besides, the singers and chorus are wonderful. It's not a bad choice IMHO.

Anyway, after being hooked for months with Gardiner's Christmas Oratorio I feel that is time for me to get a vesion of The Passion with original instruments.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:00 PM   #730
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat middle
I agree with almost all. But for me Schubert is more a romantic than a classical composser. Mainly on account of his piano works: they are very free, and break with concept of form. His imprompti and his "musical momments" are very romantic conceptions.

Also his number of unfinished sonatas makes him a non-classical composer: for him it was more important the inspiration (concept, idea) than the structure.

However, I agree that much of his orchestral work does sound as classical.

Hehe, last night I was listening to "The Work" and I was thinking that I'd like to get another recording of it

Mine is DECCA: Solti, Chicago Simphony, with Kiri Te Kanawa, Anne Sophie Von Otter, Blochwitz, Bär and others. I love it. I know it's not as accurate as the performances with original instruments, but Solti was too good a conductor to make a wrong interpretation of this work. Besides, the singers and chorus are wonderful. It's not a bad choice IMHO.

Anyway, after being hooked for months with Gardiner's Christmas Oratorio I feel that is time for me to get a vesion of The Passion with original instruments.
Solti doesnt dissapoint unless the work is smaller and more intimate, though his Schubert is good.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 06-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #731
hectorberlioz

Got Saint-saen's Third Symphony and Liszt's Faust Symphony. Love them both

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 06-16-2005, 05:57 PM   #732
Janny
The Blobbit

Just so I can sound grown up, I've recently been listening to Mozart's flute concertos, K285, K285a and b and K292. I'm not sure I can really make objective comment, but I can understand their choice as music to play to encourage learning.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:15 AM   #733
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Got Saint-saen's Third Symphony and Liszt's Faust Symphony. Love them both
Is the Saint-Saen's one the one with organ or that's from Poulenc?
Old 06-17-2005, 05:52 PM   #734
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
Just so I can sound grown up, I've recently been listening to Mozart's flute concertos, K285, K285a and b and K292. I'm not sure I can really make objective comment, but I can understand their choice as music to play to encourage learning.

As is all of Mozart's music!

And FMiddle, the Saint-saens one is the "Organ" Symphony. I know Poulenc wrote for organ, but I don't think he wrote any symphonies. But his Colleague Arthur Honnegar did, and I look forward to listening to no.5, as well as to Pacific 231

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 06-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #735
Janny
The Blobbit

Dvorak's Mass in D Major. :O My!

Hector, do you know of an English composer called John Rutter? Have you heard his Requiem?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:24 PM   #736
Mercutio

We have Rutter's Requieum..as well as a bunch of other things like Cambridge Singers (is that the name?) with him. Great composer.

Btw, http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/main.jsp (ArkivMusic sells classical cds) is going to be having a sale on all Naxos. If you're unfamiliar, there are over 3,000 cds under that label. They are very decent recordings at good prices (I believe they can be very affordable because Naxos uses older, more obscure recordings from not-so-well-known orchestras). They may be cheap to buy but are by no means cheap recordings.

Anyway, all Naxos cds are US$ 5.99 . We have many Naxos cds already, and arkivmusic is a very reputable distributer.

enjoy

Old 06-21-2005, 08:12 AM   #737
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
And FMiddle, the Saint-saens one is the "Organ" Symphony. I know Poulenc wrote for organ, but I don't think he wrote any symphonies.
Then it is the one I once listened to by radio. I remember that I liked it very much
Old 06-22-2005, 08:17 AM   #738
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

I've played guitar since I was four, classical is my forte the last decade...anyone else play? Forgive me I didn't read back that far in the posts but wanted to poke my head in and hummm a few bars of Debussy.

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
Old 06-24-2005, 05:39 PM   #739
Mercutio

My pastor studied classical guitar at Peabody.

Old 07-06-2005, 02:42 AM   #740
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Someone just gave me the complete set of Wagner's Ring!!
*lowers fishing reel from sky light and snatches the Ring Cycle*
I have two of the four. I recorded it from KUSC. *Go Jim Svejda!*

Oh, and btw, this is my 1000th Post!
Can you believe that I finally made it!?!?!?!?

Last edited by trolls' bane : 07-06-2005 at 07:10 PM.
Closed Thread