Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2003, 11:56 PM   #721
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
My beef was that he knows that I am an Atheist and he said we do not have a tie to this Earth. Likewise, you say it again there, in your post. And you are both incorrect.
I think you're misinterpreting both of us. We do not mean that you have no ties to the Earth, or that your own beliefs do not cause you to believe that the taking care of the Earth is important. All I said is that Christians have an added reason to take care of this Earth that nonChristians do not have.
Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
This is one of the things I have grown to respect about the Bible (especially considering the date(s) in which it was written)......and from a personal POV it is one of the teachings which is often overlooked.
It's not even nearly the only one that is overlooked by a lot of Christians because it's inconvenient .
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 12:00 AM   #722
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Yeah, I know...it's so aggravating when people just stick the less convenient parts of Christianty in the back closet.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 12:11 AM   #723
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I went to a Quaker (I think..."Friends" ?) service today. It was very laid back.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:22 AM   #724
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

That's nice . Not what Gwaimir and I were talking about, by the way, but I'm glad you enjoyed the service.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:26 AM   #725
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I know, sorry to interupt ....proceed!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:29 AM   #726
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

No, no . I wasn't going to elaborate on that vein anyway- there's no point. Gwaimir and I are both in agreement, and we might risk seeming silly to nonChristians . I was just a tiny bit concerned that you were thinking we'd object to a service being laid back.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:41 AM   #727
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh! No, I was just surprised at how informal they were. I had been going (occasionally) to a rather large (for my smallish town) Methodist church. This little "Friends" church was very "easy". It is almost amazing to a non Christian, how different churches can be. Preacher, minister, reverend, pastor....you just never know what's going to go down! Then there was that one where they did the "full baptism" thing on this guy. Had a special area and "tank" up front. I didn't go back to that one! scared me off good!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:47 AM   #728
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Reminds me of Importance of Being Earnest, Algy and Jack discussing their potential baptism. That was really funny .
Old 05-19-2003, 02:16 AM   #729
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

YAY! Importance of Being Earnest! I just saw it again today at SPT, they had to do it outside because the electricity was out. I love that play. . .. anyway...back to the subject...

*realizes she doesn't have much to say, not wanting to get into the current debate*
nevermind, then

ooh, wait! Lizra, I've never been to a Quaker meeting (um, Friends?) but I had a friend who was Quaker and their meetings sound really interesting. I want to go to one sometime.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 04:21 AM   #730
Baby-K
Corruptor

In the 5 months I've been here I've seen & heard a lot of thing in the religious threads that have confirmed a few doubts I've been having.

What religion am I? Not sure, but one thing's for certain - I no longer call myself a christian. If & when I do know what I'm supposed to classify myself as, I'll let you know.

Oh, Gwai, re the questions you had for me, I'll have an answer for you by the end of the week.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:11 PM   #731
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Then there was that one where they did the "full baptism" thing on this guy. Had a special area and "tank" up front. I didn't go back to that one! scared me off good!
What did this "full baptism" involve?

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 07:55 AM   #732
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Instead of just touching the head with water , The guy got in this small "Tank" and went under (head immersed) in the water. He was totally soaked, and brought clothes to change into. I don't know why they do this though!
Old 05-20-2003, 08:00 AM   #733
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Instead of just touching the head with water , The guy got in this small "Tank" and went under (head immersed) in the water. He was totally soaked, and brought clothes to change into. I don't know why they do this though!
I've seen some services where the congregation goes to the river / dam and then the people who are to be baptised walk into the water with the pastor & he then does some chant or whatever before dipping the person under water. I thought it was weird - sorta like cow dipping or summin, I was just waiting for the people to go MOOOOOOOOOOOOO in unison Don't know which denomination it was though

Last edited by Baby-K : 05-20-2003 at 08:11 AM.
Baby-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 08:05 AM   #734
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Sooo, why does someone "tip" a cow?
Old 05-20-2003, 08:08 AM   #735
Baby-K
Corruptor

To say thanks for the great service ? (I'll go back & change it - bit daft of me)
Old 05-20-2003, 10:12 AM   #736
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Different denominations believe differently about baptism. Some are dunkers, some are sprinklers.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:08 PM   #737
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Probably was a Baptist church. We do full baptisms. It's symbolic of death and resurrection. When you go under the water, that is your death, and when you come up, it symbolizes your new life in Christ. The preacher probably said something along the lines of "My brother/sister, I baptise you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit". Baptists don't believe that you have to be baptised to be saved, but some other denominations do. Baptism is just a way of letting everyone know what has happened in your life.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:16 PM   #738
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Our church does full baptisms too. As Khamûl said, it's symbolic of death and resurrection - dying to your old life, and receiving a new life in Jesus Christ.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:32 PM   #739
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Different denominations believe differently about baptism. Some are dunkers, some are sprinklers.
I think in my Church you can have either way done.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:48 PM   #740
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Sprinkler here. (Methodist Christening)

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote