Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 04:49 PM   #721
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

and your point is ???????????????????????
Old 02-23-2006, 04:55 PM   #722
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
and your point is ?????? question mark question mark
Simple point - If you want to understand the present, you need to take a look at the past.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #723
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Oh, we totally agree on that. Things here get muddled-a great many times-. All I was trying to put forward is the reasons that the people involved are giving for their behavior at this time. The historical is granted.

BTW, ...sigh...is a great way to handle this kind of stuff
Old 02-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #724
inked
Elf Lord

Muslim hackers hit the Danes: http://washingtontimes.com/upi/20060...3534-1827r.htm

jihad, it's not just for bodies anymore!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 02-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #725
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

So an excuse for them to recruit great tech minds to their cause. Just what we needed... And be sure this event has filled their coffers like nothing has in a long time. And has certainly brought a thousand new suicide bombers under their fold. What great propaganda we handed them... All in the name of "freedom of expression". It seems to me there may have been a better way to attempt to express this concept.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 02-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #726
inked
Elf Lord

Finns and Norweigens cave: http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatc...ves/010349.php

and, worth your time summary of events of 5 months into the infoontada:
http://www.reason.com/cavanaugh/022206.shtml

and, an evaluation of American newspaper and media reluctance to print the cartoons, along with the firing of student editors for printing 6 of them (yes, here in America!):
http://spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=9444

finally, the cartoon reaction applied to the DaVinci Code by western religion:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...049788,00.html

(****warning****the last is humor, or not )
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 02-23-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:40 PM   #727
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Freedom of the press is not to be given up lightly.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:46 PM   #728
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Tolerance for all-well not really

Cartoon by Bob Gorrell, AOL News, February 8, 2006

Thank God, Buddha, or any diety you like or none if you like, that we are free in the US.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #729
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

A small technical quibble: Buddhists don't consider Buddha to be a god, but rather only to be a man who achieved enlightenment.

The rest of the post I won't comment on at the moment .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 02-24-2006, 10:54 AM   #730
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yes, I realize that but not everyone does and I wanted to be 'inclusive' in the statement.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:10 PM   #731
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Religion

Nigerian Christians Mob Muslims, Blame for World's Problems
Thursday, February 23, 2006

ONITSHA, Nigeria — Christians in this southern Nigerian city burned Muslim corpses and defaced wrecked mosques Thursday, showing little repentance after days of sectarian violence that has killed more than 120 people across the country.

Onitsha has borne the brunt, with at least 80 of the deaths. The violence followed weekend protests over the publication of cartoons of Muhammad, the Islamic prophet.

"We don't want these mosques here anymore. These people are causing all the problems all over the world because they don't fear God," said 34-year Ifeanyi Ese, standing amid the concrete rubble of an Onitsha mosque.

With a crowd gathered, Ese angrily scrawled "Mohammed is a man, but Jesus is from above" on a shattered mosque wall with a burned stick.

Thousands of Nigerians have died in sectarian strife since 2000, when mostly Muslim northern states began implementing Islamic Shariah law in late 1999. Nigeria's 130 million people are split between the two faiths, with Christians a majority in the south.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #732
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

And it continues

Protests
Monday, February 20, 2006

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan —

Radical Islamic leaders on Monday called for more rallies against the Prophet Muhammad cartoons in Pakistan as lawmakers disrupted a session of Parliament, protesting sweeping arrests before a banned demonstration over the weekend.
============================
Last week, a Pakistani cleric in Peshawar announced a $1 million bounty for killing a cartoonist who first drew the cartoons for the Danish newspaper, Jyllands-Posten.
=====================================

So much for "tolerance" and "non-violence" in Islam.
and all this over a *cartoon*
Old 02-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #733
inked
Elf Lord

more happenings...

Turkish priest killed by individual who expressly made it a religious act to so do:
http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/st...138-qqqx=1.asp

Cartoons spark violent attacks (Muslims Burn Christians & Priest ALIVE in Nigeria)

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../1585321/posts

excerpt:
"Father Gajere, priest of St. Rita’s Catholic Church was burned to death in his home along with his domestic staff, and the residence of the Catholic Bishop of Maiduguri diocese was torched. In one incident a husband and wife in Gamboro lost their six children and all of their belongings when their house was torched, and in another a mob placed a tyre around one man, doused him with petrol and set him on fire. Eyewitnesses report that corpses were piling up in hospitals in Maiduguri due to a lack of sufficient burial sites for casualties of the violence."

The Vatican responds to the killing of two of its priests:
http://reuters.myway.com/article/200...USLIMS-DC.html

Compare what Christians put up with:

OPEN SEASON on CHRISTIANITY: http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=85064

updates on Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and India in regards to violence related to Islam, Buddhists, and Hindus:
http://www.persecution.net/pnp.htm#2

Finally, a very interesting observational piece by an individual raised in Iran on the whole gestalt in the Jerusalem Post:
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull

Last edited by inked : 02-27-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:56 PM   #734
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Thanks "I" for that article. It's very sad and yet shows the world how some think.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #735
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Lord what fools these mortals be....

The only trump in this discussion is the right of free speech. Without it, we wouldn't be having this discussion...

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 02-28-2006, 06:31 PM   #736
inked
Elf Lord

Awards to Danish paper for the cartoons and feedback:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...y_Seethes&only

and firing in Finland:
http://www.finlandforthought.net/200...ammad-cartoon/

and Canada refuses request for enforcement of Sharia:
http://www.stevejanke.com/archives/160377.php

Last edited by inked : 02-28-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #737
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I'd never want to live in a Muslim State.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:58 PM   #738
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
I'd never want to live in a Muslim State.
nor I
Old 03-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #739
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Thanks, "I", for the link to that award. I hope they retain all their freedoms and don't cave.
The rest of the EU already has caved in many instances, IMO.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #740
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

A web page from Israel responds to the hub-bub

http://www.danishmuhammedcartoons.com/Apology.html
Closed Thread