Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #701
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

More a concern than a vent. Apparently on Saturday my mom was talking to my sister and complaining, again, that I'm never home.

My sister told me that my mother said, "I'm sure he's out doing a lot of things he's not supposed to be doing." I.E. she thinks I'm out whoring. My sister defended me, which I'm glad for, and then told my mother that if she's really upset she needs to talk to me, not my sister or father.

I'm worried because I didn't know about that conversation till today, but on Sunday (day after she talked to my sister) I actually went out for lunch with my mom because we both happened to be home at the same time and we had a totally normal, typical lunch... she never said a word about being upset, and her body language was very normal.

Not sure what's going on here, but it does make me really, really sad that her automatic assumption is that I'm out doing "bad" things... Very discouraging to work so freaking hard for success, and find out that the assumption made is that you're a whore. Thanks, mom.

I'm not going to confront her about it. If she really wants to know, she can ask me. If she thinks I'm out sleeping with a bunch of guys, that's her problem and I doubt anything I say will convince her otherwise.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #702
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
we have parliamentary elections next month, and i'm not a big fan of this one. or the prelude to it.

one of the main questions is that of languages, mainly which languages should be obligatory in school, but it's also about the rights of the people speaking minority languages in the country. finland has 2 official languages that have the same status in the law: finnish and swedish. a small minority (6%) speak swedish, mainly on the coast. presently, studying your own and the other official language is obligatory; also, everyone has the right to get service (from official institutions: not private) in any of the official languages. thus, a finnish-speaking person in a swedish-speaking area has the right to get health care in finnish; and vice versa.
Yeah, language and politics can be a real mess when put together. We have the same problem in Canada with English and French, except in Finland I'd guess it's different because the minority language was sort of imposed on the rest of the country.

There's the same problem in Taiwan, when Mandarin Chinese was imposed more recently, though it has become the predominant language.

I googled a couple of items on this, and one point that you didn't mention was that Finland is part of all kinds of Nordic associations, official and otherwise, and the common language used is often Swedish- though that may be less important now because of the EU.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:14 AM   #703
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Dear lord, spare me from mystery shoppers and managers galore who think they know better/best what shopping customers want but can't be bothered to put together a comprehensive test.

I am here way to often...
Old 04-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #704
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm not sure if I'm being too hard here, but I sent a friend a message a while back (on Facebook) about an opportunity for her to sing with the church where I work. She told me in person a few weeks later (when I went searching for her and asked her) that she would be interested but needed to look at the dates again and she would message me.

Now two weeks later, I sent her another message asking if she'd had a chance to look at the dates yet and she asked me to send them to her again. I don't think I'm going to... if she wants the job, she can certainly go digging back through a few facebook messages to find the dates...

If it were a volunteer thing I would absolutely go find the dates for her again, but c'mon... she's a graduate student, AND this is a professional opportunity.

Or am I just being a jerk? I'm just really tired of working with singers who are irresponsible and disorganized. In my opinion, if you can't keep your crap together then someone else more organized deserves the job, even if they're not as good of a singer.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #705
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I wouldn't worry about it too much. After all, you're not her manager. If she hasn't checked the dates since, and can't be bothered to look up an old mail, she probably isn't that interested either. Unless you really want to hear her sing in church, I'd let her figure it our herself.

If one wants a carreer in singing, writing, art or whatever other field, one's gotta be prepared to do a minimum of leg-work, if you ask me. (Which is probably why I'll never get anywhere. )
Old 04-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #706
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

we had the parliamentary elections yesterday. the results are depressing.

on the one hand, i hope the 'true finns' make complete fools of themselves so that in 4 years, people will realize that they can't do politics and not at all run a country.
at the same time, i hope they don't completely screw us up.

we'll see...

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #707
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Sorry about that, Nerdy! Hang in there.

I've been so stressed over my accounting test, which occurred last Friday and then again today, that today I woke up with chest pain that wouldn't go away till this afternoon. It got pretty painful right before the test. I'm glad it's over now.

I was disappointed that it wouldn't go away with some deep breathing... in fact it wasn't till I got home and did about 30 minutes of uninterrupted deep breathing that it went away.

Hopefully it will not make a return appearance for tomorrow's Marketing test.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #708
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

GAAAAAAH. I just got the video card that I ordered and it doesn't fit my computer. So no Dragon Age II for me.

I wouldn't be so depressed except that I've been using it to motivate myself. I kept thinking things like, "Yes, it's late, my chest hurts, I'm still up studying... but when that video card arrives I'm gonna get to play Dragon Age II and this last round of pre-finals tests will be over."

... and now no Dragon Age II, and I still have to finish some of the tests. It's not so much the video game itself as the fact that I was using it for motivation and now.

Blech.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #709
BeardofPants
the Shrike

We've sold the PS3 (because we are moving to the US), so no Dragon Age II for me either.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #710
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

damned spring weather, always makes me ill. >.< it's so warm and sunny and lovely.. but of course not warm enough. so now i'm sitting indoors, wrapped up, drinking a lot of tea and trying to get rid of that pain in my throat.

but of course it is nice to have an excuse not to work.. to just read and sleep all day. especially if you have a partner who makes sure there's a lot of food available and everything is comfortable.. this part should probably go to the happy thread.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #711
Mari
Elf Lady

We have summerdays here. The temperatures we have now, we usually don't have till end of June, beginning of July. It's ridiculous.

Sorry about your motivation/game, Tessar. Maybe you can find something else to motivate you in the short term?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...

Last edited by Mari : 04-20-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: privacy
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #712
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

I spent the better part of my day grading papers and I'm not done yet!!
Grading papers is a terrible, mindless job...
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #713
Mari
Elf Lady

I usually like it, though it does take a lot of time.
It's always interesting to see what new ways students can come up with saying something in English.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #714
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
It's always interesting to see what new ways students can come up with saying something in English.
Yeah, I think people could write books about this
By the way, it's 4 and a half hours later and I'm still only two thirds of the way through
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #715
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
We've sold the PS3 (because we are moving to the US), so no Dragon Age II for me either.
BoP, where in the US are you moving to and when?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:54 AM   #716
BeardofPants
the Shrike

San Francisco... and whenever the immigration gets sorted.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:32 AM   #717
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

There is nothing temporary about this, nor does it feel like a "vent".

I just lost someone I loved today. I was washing my car, having nothing else to keep my nerves settled; waiting for it to be over so she could come home, and this would just be another "Adventurous Misadventure" to laugh about as she healed. Then I got the call. And now she is gone. I'm sitting inside my house now, staring at a computer screen. But you know what? It feels like my heart stopped along side hers.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:04 AM   #718
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Oh, sane, I am so, so sorry to hear about your loss. I know that there are no words at a time like this, everything ends up sounding empty to me, so all I will say is that: I am so sorry about your loss.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #719
Mari
Elf Lady

Like Gwai said there's really nothing I can say. My condolences. *hug*

Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #720
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Sane - I am sorry for you, and her, as well.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote