Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 04:50 PM   #701
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

[QUOTE=brownjenkins]
Quote:
i'm sticking to this thread if it kills me

this could be the very act of god Acran Mern requires to prove her point

(hope i haven't tempted either fate, god's wrath or nano-second evolution)
Old 08-23-2005, 04:50 PM   #702
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acran Mern
It's certainly no more extrapolation then seeing natural selection and thinking that life evolved all by itself by random mutations
but it is... random mutations exist and can be observed... that is the basis for the theory

there is no observable basis for creationism
Old 08-23-2005, 04:52 PM   #703
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Also, I'd like to present as evidence a well-corroborated, well-preserved document written by those who have witnessed, first-hand, acts of God. I challenge anyone to dispute it.
sounds good to me
Old 08-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #704
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

acran seems to like the other thread... so i'll officially flip-flop
Old 08-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #705
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

acran seems to like the other thread... so i'll officially flip-flop
Old 08-23-2005, 04:55 PM   #706
Acran Mern

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
the problem is... the layers add up to much more than 4000... ice cores in the antarctica have show as many as 400,000 layers
Exactly...Those layers would have been layed very quickly in a violent flood. Look at what we get from even a (comparatively) minor catastrophe like a single volcanic eruption.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:58 PM   #707
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Exactly...Those layers would have been layed very quickly in a violent flood. Look at what we get from even a (comparatively) minor catastrophe like a single volcanic eruption.
this is ice we are talking about, something that takes time to form from water... are you saying there were 400,000 successive floods with enough space in between to freeze each ice layer individually over a relatively short time period?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:07 PM   #708
Acran Mern

Annual layer counting on ice cores isn't particularly accurate once you get past about 3500 years. One would expect layers during the ice age to be significantly thicker with individual layers from storms. Even today, storms can duplicate annual layers.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #709
Acran Mern

Incidentally, (just picked this up at http://www.answersingenesis.org/crea...3/squadron.asp ) a Greenland ice core sample, believed to date at 120,000 years, is 3,000 meters deep. A squadron of fighter planes, lost 50 years ago, was buried in 75 meters of solid ice. At that rate, the 3,000 meter sample would only work out to 2,000 years.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #710
Acran Mern

Just for the record, Acran is a he with a bushy beard

Old 08-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #711
Acran Mern

Just for the record, Acran is a he with a bushy beard

Old 08-23-2005, 05:22 PM   #712
Acran Mern

Alright, I gotta go home. I'll be back on Thursday.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:23 PM   #713
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

oops. sorry.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:23 PM   #714
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

oops. sorry.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:30 PM   #715
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
I was just trying to give respect to Rian who started the thread to discuss a specific issue, but ok...
Thank you Yes, I'd like to keep this thread to the Kansas issue and issues like that. I think that will be more than enough to keep the thread busy!

We've had threads on evidence for creationism, evolution, and the interesting side-issue of value-of-life type stuff. I'd be interested to re-join any of those discussions.

(ps - sorry I messed up on the Hobbit Wheel of Fortune thread! You did indeed get the quote correct Your turn!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:30 PM   #716
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
I was just trying to give respect to Rian who started the thread to discuss a specific issue, but ok...
Thank you Yes, I'd like to keep this thread to the Kansas issue and issues like that. I think that will be more than enough to keep the thread busy!

We've had threads on evidence for creationism, evolution, and the interesting side-issue of value-of-life type stuff. I'd be interested to re-join any of those discussions.

(ps - sorry I messed up on the Hobbit Wheel of Fortune thread! You did indeed get the quote correct Your turn!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 08-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #717
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Please Pay Attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
i knew we should've sticked with the same thread... darn mods messin' with stuff
No mod, including myself, did anything to or with existing threads. Neither was any thread closed, merged, changed, or moved.
Don't accuse when you don't have facts to back it up.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:33 PM   #718
Rían

He was just joshin' ya, Spock Note the -->

(but I know it must be hard to be a mod, and thanks for doing it!)

Old 08-24-2005, 12:15 AM   #719
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
No mod, including myself, did anything to or with existing threads. Neither was any thread closed, merged, changed, or moved.
Don't accuse when you don't have facts to back it up.
i need facts to accuse you! that's no fun

just kidding around... acran and i had a bit of thread tag, but it was not your fault (at least i haven't dug up enough evidence yet )
Old 08-24-2005, 12:30 AM   #720
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Incidentally, (just picked this up at http://www.answersingenesis.org/crea...3/squadron.asp ) a Greenland ice core sample, believed to date at 120,000 years, is 3,000 meters deep. A squadron of fighter planes, lost 50 years ago, was buried in 75 meters of solid ice. At that rate, the 3,000 meter sample would only work out to 2,000 years.
i was speaking of antarctica which, unlike much of greenland, is in a state of perpetual freeze... there is no melting period, and there is also nowhere near the seasonal precipitation you find in a spot like the south of greenland... it is the reason why scientists do cores there

i'll try to dig up some more science on the issue for you