Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 05:36 PM   #701
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleadanel
F***ing computer slowed down so much, I couldn't even turn it off!! (actually, I could - pushing the button ) and always, ALWAYS my father's computer is the one going mad, and always, ALWAYS when I'M sitting in front of it!!!
oh. *slightly calmed* better go and scan for viruses... *sigh*
On similar ground,
Whenever I drive I messup when my dad is around. Always. Once I almost ran him over, and once I ran a stop sign.
And when he asks me "what composer is this?" when we're listening to the radio, I'm always wrong. When I'm with other people, I can guess stuff that I've never even heard! (I guessed Gershwin's Cuban Overture, and a Violin Concerto by Haydn!)
But no, with my dad, I'll think Handel is Mozart, Beethoven is Mozart, and Bach is Handel.
Similarily with math. When he's around I can't do my multiplication right, and he's there over my shoulder (even though I'm eighteen!), and always get it wrong!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 08-30-2005, 06:54 PM   #702
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

So many parent problems!

Thankee for the advice guys .
Old 08-30-2005, 07:08 PM   #703
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

No advice--I haven't got any--but I'll say I know a teeny bit of what you feel, Mr. Sunshine. My mom annoys me (and I say annoys because she's not THAT bad) very much in the same way: that I feell like she's constantly judging me, constantly flunking me. Maybe it's because she does it to just about everybody: my dad, all of her friends.... Just today she screamed in my face for doing something that she does about a million times a day. I realize that being disrespectful to her was wrong, but it doesn't help me any when she's constantly disrespecting everyone I know. Don't people realize that their kids, no matter how hard they strive toward the contrary, end up behaving just like their parents?? And the worst thing about it is, I DON'T WANT TO BE LIKE HER!

*takes a few deeps breaths* Okay, I'm fine now.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 08-30-2005, 07:11 PM   #704
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Sorry for all the parent problems!

I'm so thankful for my husband and how he loves the kids. I wish you guys could all be in our family!

We're really at an interesting point with our oldest son, who is the same age as many of you guys. As I illustrated in the hamster story, we're trying to include him in our decisions, and we solicit his opinion on things. Yet this is still our home, and we pay the bills and support him, and he needs to abide by our rules, such as you need to do your homework! and pick up after yourself, and share in the household chores, and things like that that are reasonable, in our opinion. Once he's out supporting himself, he can skip doing homework if he wants to, or leave food out in the kitchen overnight, or leave the tortilla bag unzipped for the umpteenth time so all the outer edges of the tortillas are stale and yucky, or leave wet towels on the floor so they get smelly, but while he's here, he needs to abide by some reasonable rules, like the rest of us.

It's hard being a parent! I think the majority of us mean well, but it's hard.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 08-30-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:24 PM   #705
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I sympathize with you, and my own parents. Having a kid like me is no picnic, I'm sure.
I always feel as though I've got to measure up to my two other sisters.
One is training to be a missionary. She's wanted to be one since she was seven. Everyone loves her. "Rachel's such a blessing," "Rachel's just so talented," "Rachel's just so outgoing, and not afraid to be herself."
My other sister got a full-time job at the company where my dad works. It was really a God-send, but for some reason she's more responsible than me for getting it. She's always been a 'good' child--never complaining much, etc.

Now, me? I'm talented in a bunch of areas, but I can't decide which I want to pursue. I'm always asking questions, some which my parents don't like to answer. I have almost no tact, and therefore offend my mother at least once a day. I'm shy. I like different movies, different music than the rest of my family. I'm touchy, picky, finicky, and fickle. I can't hardly ever keep my mouth shut.... The list goes on. *shrug*
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:04 PM   #706
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

It must be hard having those "perfect" sisters, but you need to be who YOU are and develop your own unique qualities. I'm glad people are different! Parents need to be careful to not compare, though.

update - am making good progress in closet and with paperwork ... gotta do it now, because we're going camping this weekend, and school starts next week, which means hours and hours of work volunteering at the school candy sale fundraiser!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 08-30-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:58 AM   #707
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I can empathize when it comes to having two 'perfect' older sisters.

All of my home schooled life, and most especially when I was younger, I was trying to do some of the same courses as my two older sisters--one of whom is a bit lazy but incredibly 'book' intellegent by nature, and the other one is super hard-working.

Then there was me. Four years younger than my oldest sister, and a year younger than my second oldest sister. Boy did I think I was stupid. We would take latin together, for example, and I'd barely be making any progress while my sisters would be flying ahead of me. What made it worse was that my sisters both ended up at almost the exact same level even though they were three years apart because the younger (through being so hard working) caught up with the older (Even though she was 'ahead' for her age too).

Fortunately a brief stop off in a private high school before going to college proved to me that I wasn't stupid.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:56 AM   #708
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Huh, I hope my bro doesn't have such feelings... We're different and that's all, our parents don't compare us, but still, he's the one who needs more time and effort for learning something. For example, before my school-leaving exams, in 2 days I was done with my preparation for the literature & grammar (finished with the altogether 40 topics), but he won't be able to do it like that, however he would wish. As I said, we are different; and sometimes I feel really bad cuz I have the easier job, and I can't even help him. I really don't want him to feel stupid or worse than me

ANd back to computers: I REALLY hope I can post this I already have a duplicate post, only I can't see EITHER ONE stupid computer. I wouldn't wonder if the explanation was that it has a soul and doesn't like when I curse it. Cuz yesterday no viruses were found

Last edited by littleadanel : 08-31-2005 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:35 AM   #709
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Wonder if this post will update the thread?
Wonder if my brother's computer is in a better mood today than my dad's ALL THIS WEEK?
At least I can choose between the two. And I have two men in the family, who first get angry for me not being, ahem, very familiar with computers, but then fix the problem I caused...
Old 08-31-2005, 10:32 AM   #710
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

I have had that trouble before. When you post a reply, but the page doesn't load, so it goes to an Entmoot page that says "Invalid Thread Specified" (if you're trying to start a new thread, it says "Invalid Forum Specified")
I always click back and resubmit the post, to which it mentions the
90 second rule and the duplicate 5 minute post rule. And I found out the other day that this happens on more than one computer.

Vent: This laptop again. When I type fast, my hand bumps the touchpad, causing it to click on wherever it is hovering over, so I end up typing somewhere else in the paragraph.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:13 PM   #711
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I have a vent. I'm sick of life. Everything is depressing. The only nice thing in my life today is entmoot. Even entmoot is depressing right now. Maybe I should go back to bed. Bleh. Life sux.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 08-31-2005, 03:23 PM   #712
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

I agree, the Moot IS depressing right now. heavy handed, unhelpful and unfriendly....
Old 08-31-2005, 03:26 PM   #713
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Well, I"M your friend, Butterbeer! We have friends, here, you know; that's why I come here every day, to "see" my online friends and hear what they have to say. And you're one of them, so don't YOU start getting down, now, too.

Old 08-31-2005, 03:30 PM   #714
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

At times, life does suck. And the I see what you mean about a depressing moot...But buck up, you've both got friends here!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:32 PM   #715
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Thanx, Shah. It's great to see you here, too, btw. You've been gone for a while. I'm gald you're back!

Old 08-31-2005, 03:38 PM   #716
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Old 08-31-2005, 03:40 PM   #717
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Well, I told you why... I'm slow to heal so its been rough.

I have a minor vent:

All these lovely beaches and I cant go out adn swim or surf! AAAAAAAHRRRG! I was accepted into the U of Hawaii. I just moved there, and holy hell, its taking me a whole lot to get used to. Then I get this stupid wound that is bugging me to battyness. GRRRRR......
Old 08-31-2005, 03:42 PM   #718
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

You're in Hawaii?! I LOVE Hawaii!Are you at Chaminade University?
Your wounds will heal soon enough, Shah, and then you'll be able to play in the water. Oh, it is just BEAUtiful there.

Old 08-31-2005, 03:46 PM   #719
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Ha, yep, I am there...but what a person from cold places is doing here...I dont know. It was my mothers college so i got in with ease. I am at the University of Hawaii, i have plunked down in Honolulu....(hehehehe, love the names, they are CRAZY) adn am going there...so for so pretty.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:16 PM   #720
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

the 'moot, depressing? never!

you just have to be selective about which thread you click on

try a dear hector